Jeeves is a paranoid stoner: Was (Is) This Child Abuse?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Jeeves is a paranoid stoner: Was (Is) This Child Abuse?

Post by brian »

Can loudly hear a kid (4,5 yrs old maybe?) in the backyard a few houses down yelling "Let me in!" repeatedly for about 5 minutes straight. Then overhear a mother's(?) voice say something inaudible, the kid resumes screaming for 5 minutes more and then it stops (for now), presumably because he got let in.

Some factors: it is about 105 degrees today (this was just 20 minutes ago), could have just been some older siblings playing a trick on the kid for all I know, I have smoked a little pot and while I'm not prone to paranoia, I'm not immune to it either.

Need access to the Swamp hivemind here. Try to put yourself in that scenario. Do you call the cops after 5 minutes not knowing if the kid is legitimately in trouble and needs in the house? Am I (an admittedly childless person who knows nothing about child-rearing) forgetting perfectly legit scenarios where a mother might need to lock her kid in the backyard for about 10 minutes or so?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Re: Jeeves is a paranoid stoner: Was (Is) This Child Abuse?

Post by mister d »

Just mopped the floor? I wouldn't lock a screaming kid outside, but it's not totally illogical.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

(I'd just walk over and pretend I only heard the kid, then you're helpful versus meddling.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Also "fallen and paralyzed" works as a possibility.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

maybe the kid locked himself out on accident (or on purpose) and the mom was taking a shit and couldn't get to the door.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Best rule of thumb in being a good neighbor, is always call the cops. Immediately and often. Or just start screaming "shut the fuck up, you stupid little cunt!" If the parent is trying to teach the kid a lesson, best to join in and help.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I generally consider myself a 2 on a scale of (1)Wouldn't Call 911 If Neighbor's House Was On Fire to (10)That Friend Of Your Mom Everyone Has. But for some reason I was getting worried about it.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote:(I'd just walk over and pretend I only heard the kid, then you're helpful versus meddling.)
Me too.

Better to have a potentially embarrassing situation than to find out later that something terrible was going on.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Then you get shot in the head. Mind your fucking business. Especially when it comes to domestic stuff. Call 911 or hit the vape again.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

5 year olds here don't have guns.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I'd do nothing for ten minutes and see if it escalated. Kid isn't going to die for just being outside for ten more. It didn't, so everything turned out ok. You don't want to start a neighbor feud over nothing.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

When I was a small child, I was terrified of bees/wasps/hornets. To the point where I wouldn't play outside in the yard because I was afraid of being stung. I distinctly remember complaining to my mom and dad about wanting to go outside and play and then chickening out because there was clover all over our backyard and honeybees were everywhere.

I think my dad had had enough of his kid being a little bitch that particular day and sent me outside to get something off the patio or some such, and proceeded to lock my ass out of the house and tell me through the patio door that it was time for me to play outside for a while. (maybe to teach me a lesson, though in hindsight, I lock the dog out of my room for different reasons these days so there's that)

Long and drawn out point: I probably screamed like a little bitch for a bit and would have messed with the neighbors heads, but until it becomes dangerous like 45min-1hr in that heat or I see that family whipping the shit out of said kid, I'd MYOB. I'd say it was probably a situation where the kid was being a little bitch about something and needed a little lesson taught to him.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Can't perform with the dog watching, huh?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

tennbengal wrote:Can't perform with the dog watching, huh?
More dog can't be less than 2 feet away from my fiance, so it makes the logistics and mood a challenge.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Pet management while castle storming is an underrated skill.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

P.D.X. wrote:Pet management while castle storming is an underrated skill.
We have three cats. One of them stays in our bedroom all the time and wants attention from my wife whenever she is in bed.

So, on those occasions when we get busy, it is kind of hilarious to see the cat creep up looking for attention at an inopportune moment.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian