Game of Thrones....

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Jerloma
The Dude

Re: Game of Thrones....

Post by Jerloma »

So Sam tells Jon about the dragon glass which is buried beneath the Targarayen castle that Dany now occupies and the alliance begins from there, right?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote:So Sam tells Jon about the dragon glass which is buried beneath the Targarayen castle that Dany now occupies and the alliance begins from there, right?
OR THE FIGHT
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote:Respectfully disagree. As far as GOT, that was one of the better season openers. They are always going to be a lot of set-up, but this one started pointing towards pretty cool shit and did so with nice pacing. Some of the season openers have been really plodding affairs.

I do think the horn mentioned above is what Euron is talking about. There has to be some kind of leveler for the dragons.

And do we really have to deal with spoilers in here? I mean, I'd just assume you come in here when you're caught up...

I'm fine with exposition, but there needed to be something more than moving puzzle pieces, IMO. It was fine, but I don't think it was a good opener, personally. I think it moved TOO fast.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Apropos of nothing, the actor who plays Beric Dondarian is also the lead in a weird ass show I was digging on Amazon called Fortitude. I hadn't put the two together until last night.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A_B wrote:
Jerloma wrote:So Sam tells Jon about the dragon glass which is buried beneath the Targarayen castle that Dany now occupies and the alliance begins from there, right?
OR THE FIGHT
I'm just here to see zombie ice giants get burned to death by dragons.

Sidenote. Euron Greyjoy looks like bootleg emo lovechild of Liev Schreiber and Joshua Jackson.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I thought it was great, but I also had recently re-watched all of the past season and a lot was fresh for me. I happen to like the table-setting episodes, not everything can or should be on the scale of the blowing up of the Sept.

---"Tell them winter has come for House Frey" was outstanding

---Hound may be my favorite character at this point - the collection of lines of his over the years are among the best on the show.

---The great gift from Euron, while book readers are thinking "horn", from what I am reading, maybe hostages to bring one of the currently off-line houses back in-line.

---"Two good hands" & "killing your brother is liberating, you should try it"

---Man alive is Dragtonstone close to King's Landing

---Not sure if Sansa is truly at odds with Jon or playing a long con on Baelish. Probably at odds. The tension between here and Jon and the possibility for more betrayal makes me uneasy. That said, I have seldom come around on a character more in a show like this than I have on here from Season 1 to where we are now. Maybe Skyler from Season 1 of Breaking Bad to when she was laundering money through the car wash is similar for me in changed views from dislike to at least something approaching like. Maybe Chuck on Saul too.

---I am pretty sure if Lyanna Moremont were placed on the Iron Throne, all would be wrapped up and dealt with in a fortnight.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote:

Yup. And while I know things aren't presented in real-time...it sure seems like two massive fleets might have noticed one another.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote:
tennbengal wrote:

Yup. And while I know things aren't presented in real-time...it sure seems like two massive fleets might have noticed one another.

I would guess Dany ran a bit ahead of the main fleet, but, yes, it looks like they are plenty close in proximity now. I had wondered if she would be sacking Lannisport based on the trailers, but may be that was King's Landing falling in those scenes...
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote:
A_B wrote:
tennbengal wrote:

I would guess Dany ran a bit ahead of the main fleet, but, yes, it looks like they are plenty close in proximity now. I had wondered if she would be sacking Lannisport based on the trailers, but may be that was King's Landing falling in those scenes...

You see I would have expected Dany's boat to be well behind the bulk of her fleet. It's all cool to lead the armada out of port, but once on the open seas I'd think you would defend your Queen. I guess she has some dragons for protection of course. I'm probably overthinking it.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote:
tennbengal wrote:
A_B wrote:
tennbengal wrote:

You see I would have expected Dany's boat to be well behind the bulk of her fleet. It's all cool to lead the armada out of port, but once on the open seas I'd think you would defend your Queen. I guess she has some dragons for protection of course. I'm probably overthinking it.

I am guessing 3 dragons over open water with their ability to incinerate boats is probably all the protection she needs if she wants to get to Dragonstone a bit ahead of the bulk of the ships...
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote:
tennbengal wrote:

Ha. That's a great point. I thought it was a little odd that Euron appeared to bring his entire fleet to KL (or that Cersei allowed it) anyway.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

RE: the horn...I think it may HAVE to be what he is bringing. There has to be some kind of Dragon Trump card, right? I can't think of a hostage short of Tyrion/Sansa who would hold enough cachet to motivate anyone. I guess Bran, maybe?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote:RE: the horn...I think it may HAVE to be what he is bringing. There has to be some kind of Dragon Trump card, right? I can't think of a hostage short of Tyrion/Sansa who would hold enough cachet to motivate anyone. I guess Bran, maybe?

I agree on both counts. Not sure how Euron gets his hand on any of the Starks, and even if he does why would Dany care. And I doubt she would halt her invasion just to save Tyrion.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

To all the "Euron's gift" discussion, spoiler based on some leaks that have been reliable so far:

[+] spoiler
He kills/captures the Sand Snakes plus Yara Greyjoy and brings them to Cersei.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Johnny Carwash wrote:To all the "Euron's gift" discussion, spoiler based on some leaks that have been reliable so far:

[+] spoiler
He kills/captures the Sand Snakes plus Yara Greyjoy and brings them to Cersei.

Yeah, I'd seen the same thing - didn't do the fancy spoiler but that was what I was referencing with maybe leverage on a house. Not sure what leverage Yara would bring so maybe she dies and I have a hard time seeing those potential hostages bringing that house around, but, maybe.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

[+] spoiler
Nobody cares about Dorne.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

[+] spoiler
Fucking dorks.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The scene switching from Jorah getting his grayscale removed to the spoon going into the bread bowl was pretty slick.

Nymeria turning away from Arya was shitty. As was Theon going full coward.

Well, now we know what Euron's gift will be.

Also, RIP sand snakes. You won't be missed...outside of that one scene with the fantastic set of tits.

Greyworm didn't have his tongue removed, lucky for him.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I have to think we haven't seen the last of Nymeria.
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

I could have sworn that the body on the front of the ship at the end was Ellaria and the one hanging was the third Sand Snake. The recaps I've read today don't mention that. Am I wrong?
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

vandwagon wrote:I could have sworn that the body on the front of the ship at the end was Ellaria and the one hanging was the third Sand Snake. The recaps I've read today don't mention that. Am I wrong?

[+] spoiler
It was the two who were killed in the battle. Ellaria and the other are prisoners, with Yara.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

Johnny Carwash wrote:
vandwagon wrote:I could have sworn that the body on the front of the ship at the end was Ellaria and the one hanging was the third Sand Snake. The recaps I've read today don't mention that. Am I wrong?

[+] spoiler
It was the two who were killed in the battle. Ellaria and the other are prisoners, with Yara.

Ok. That makes more sense. Thanks.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Am I the only one who had no fucking clue what was happening in that battle? I get cinematography and all but Jesus...turn up the damn lights a little, GoT.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote:Am I the only one who had no fucking clue what was happening in that battle? I get cinematography and all but Jesus...turn up the damn lights a little, GoT.

It was awful. Damn near imposible to make much out, IMO.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Jerloma wrote:Am I the only one who had no fucking clue what was happening in that battle? I get cinematography and all but Jesus...turn up the damn lights a little, GoT.

And if someone was in the crow's nest they might have seen a ginormous fleet of bad ass ships coming!

People in the Game of Thrones subreddit (r/asoiaf) were quick to note that 1) what kind of logistical purpose does Casterly Rock play in overall strategy (having done tabletop war planning, I agree) 2) why would you pass Dorne to land at Dragonstone to them have to go back to get the Army at Dorne? Total blunder there too.

Another thing: this Petr Baelish issue is going to get bad for Jon. It's so damn obvious. If Sansa doesn't kill him he's going to do some dumb shit.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

[+] spoiler
Everybody's dick is cut off
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That is my biggest gripe with a number of shows that I otherwise really enjoy. Better Call Saul, Fargo and, by far the biggest offender is GoT.

You are not alone. I could barely tell what was going on in the Pirates of the Caribbean scene.
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

Gunpowder wrote:
[+] spoiler
Everybody's dick is cut off

This seems like an obvious ending for a show that has managed to put women in charge every damn where.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

So... A few more thoughts:

* Beyond being difficult to follow, I was annoyed by the battle scene. How was Euron able to sneak up so effectively? How did he know which boat was Yara's when you couldn't see more than a few yards?

* Also, the whole Sand Snake thing... What a disaster. You could tell they were trying to make us care about those deaths and it was just so flat. Meh of the highest order. Also, I thought all their shit was super duper poisoned up. They were lighting him up, especially with the whip... nothing?

I'm sure they'll come back and explain how this thing went down, because it's chock-full of what seems to be bullshit. To me, the likeliest scenario in terms of how Euron knew where to be is some type of spy, double-agent type thing.

I'm also down with whoever suggested that the direwolf will be making a return. The show-runners explained that it's costly/difficult to have the direwolves in the production, but you gotta think they'll be bringing them back at some point.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This shit's hilarious:

https://youtu.be/YBaHBtKtj6U
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Johnnie wrote:The scene switching from Jorah getting his grayscale removed to the spoon going into the bread bowl was pretty slick.

Yes. Had to pause to stop laughing.

And fucking Dorne...
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote:People in the Game of Thrones subreddit (r/asoiaf) were quick to note that 1) what kind of logistical purpose does Casterly Rock play in overall strategy (having done tabletop war planning, I agree)

FInally watched the episode yesterday - just in time to miss tonight's and be behind again.

But Casterly Rock matters because it is the Lannisters' home and is where their money comes from. If I remember the books correctly, they produce a lot of gold there.

Other houses don't have any reason to be loyal to the Lannisters, so them being rich and able to bestow favors helps. Also, if the Lannisters need to defend their home over in Casterly Rock, then there will be fewer of them to defend King's Landing or other areas of the Seven Kingdoms.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

They're Out of gold. Which means they really have to protect that secret.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Lazy fucking writers. Bad pacing. Sad.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

So yea. Sweet talk the Bank of Bravos, evacuate Casterly Rock, send them to Highgarden, and send Euron to Casterly Rock to wipe out the Unsullied. Two front wars are ridiculous.

Now, with Daenaerys light on allies, enter Jon.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote:Lazy fucking writers. Bad pacing. Sad.

I'm not sure if I agree or not. I liked the way they told the story of the CR invasion options from Tyrion's* point of view, and I really liked Jamie's entrance into Highgarden. I don't think we needed an obligatory big battle scene at either of those locations. I guess it felt a little rushed, but some of that may have just been confusion on my part trying to figure out what happened (and I think those sequences were meant to be momentarily confusing for the viewer).

*He should probably be fired by Dany, right? He got completely outmaneuvered and cost her most of her ships, the Tyrell and Dorne armies (though it's not clear that they had picked up the latter yet, but I doubt they'll follow up on that point with everyone we know from Dorne dead or horrifically imprisoned) and one can assume a good chunk of the Unsullied. Bad Hand. Sad.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I just hope they give Tolkein a writing credit.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

And I just realized that knowing Highgarden was such a pussified army, how could they not fortify that? From reading some boards, that place has gold the Lannisters need to pay back the bank.

Also, considering geography, Euron's ships being able to get to the other side of the continent without the benefit of a Panama Canal is annoying.

Priority one for Dani should have been eviscerating those ships. But I guess the major tactical blunders make for a better story.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Johnnie wrote:Also, considering geography, Euron's ships being able to get to the other side of the continent without the benefit of a Panama Canal is annoying.

Priority one for Dani should have been eviscerating those ships. But I guess the major tactical blunders make for a better story.

Though the Unsullied's ships had to make the same journey, so...

To your second point, yeah. That's at least twice this season that Euron must have sailed past Dragonstone to get to King's Landing.