Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

howard
Karl Hungus

Re: Temporary Television

Post by howard »

Come on, fellas. Twin Peaks? Nada? That was peak David Lynch. Hunter Thompson famously said 'it never got weird enough for me." That mess was too weird for me.

And, yeah, I watched the Gong Show, and I liked it. Again. And Preacher, holy fuck. Saul and Fargo end, Preacher begins. Golden age.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

howard wrote:Come on, fellas. Twin Peaks? Nada? That was peak David Lynch. Hunter Thompson famously said 'it never got weird enough for me." That mess was too weird for me.

And, yeah, I watched the Gong Show, and I liked it. Again. And Preacher, holy fuck. Saul and Fargo end, Preacher begins. Golden age.

I've been struggling with this. Not those particluar shows, but just how I now seem to feel this constant NEED to consume a new show because there are so many that people say need watching. I just finished two seasons of Flaked on netflix. It was solid. I like the characters a lot. But I don't want to just go directly into something, even though Preacher being back makes me want to finish season 1. Or Brockmire, which I really enjoyed a couple of episodes of.

But I Think I'm just gonna chill out and read. Go to the gym at lunch again. Maybe backfill with some movies instead of shows I know I'll feel like I HAVE TO FINISH RIGHT NOW.

Maybe this should be in the confessions thread.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

No, man, I think that's an interesting aspect of this Golden Age thing. There are probably a half dozen shows I "need" to either start or pick back up on and it feels kind of overwhelming sometimes.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote:No, man, I think that's an interesting aspect of this Golden Age thing. There are probably a half dozen shows I "need" to either start or pick back up on and it feels kind of overwhelming sometimes.

100% agree. Sometimes I feel like a chore list trying to get to shows. On the plus side, I feel like I accomplished something when I watch a couple episodes of something on my list.

Finished the first 3 seasons of Silicon Valley. It's a great mix of a dramatic storyline with absurd and even silly comedic moments. The actors/characters play perfectly off of each other. They are good characters on their own, but the interactions between just about any 2 characters is great.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

As I remember, the Swamp is filled with Alison Brie fans so I need to direct you to GLOW on Netflix. She appears in all her glory in the first episode. Marc Maron plays a cynical asshole director. A fun show you can quickly binge.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yeah, I was shocked she got so naked in the first episode (which I otherwise would have enjoyed without the nudity).
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

A_B wrote: I've been struggling with this. Not those particluar shows, but just how I now seem to feel this constant NEED to consume a new show because there are so many that people say need watching.
I feel you. I respond to this feeling by setting my standards incredibly high. There are plenty of shows I'll watch one or two episodes and drop. Shows that had they aired 10 years ago I would've considered them must see. But now, eh. Unless every aspect of production is top notch, or unless there is something that personally appeals to me, like GLOW - I'll finish because I really like Allison Brie and Maron, although otherwise it doesn't clear the high bar I've set. I'm missing a lot of shows that I'm sure I would enjoy, but there's only so much time. And I haven't even gone back to watch all of The Wire yet.
But I Think I'm just gonna chill out and read. Go to the gym at lunch again.
now that is just crazy talk.

Oh, and this is in production, due in August. Pilot is available on amazon now. (I loved the animated version, thought the live action one with Patrick Warburton was cute but lame, only lasted eight episodes.) One of my neighbors works on the show, script supervisor, worked on a lot of shows, gives it high marks. SPOON!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfmRP5IQH8Y
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rams Fanny wrote:As I remember, the Swamp is filled with Alison Brie fans so I need to direct you to GLOW on Netflix. She appears in all her glory in the first episode. Marc Maron plays a cynical asshole director. A fun show you can quickly binge.
The premiere episode is a lot of fun, but realizing that the plot twist is going to propel the Debbie character into the ring full time seemed a bit unrealistic... until I remembered that this is a show about women wrestlers in a cheesier time.

Enjoyable all the way through, and Mark Maron is really funny.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Enjoyed the pilot episode of Glow.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

govmentchedda wrote:Enjoyed the pilot episode of Glow.
It's good all the way through. Good clean fun.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Pruitt wrote:
And titties.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

govmentchedda wrote:
Pruitt wrote:
And titties.
[+] spoiler
Sadly, the titty content ends after the first episode.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

I thought it was really well done. Maron was great.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I loved it and more importantly (for the show's future) my wife loved it and she was prepared to hate it.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

L-Jam3 wrote:
Jerloma wrote:Has anyone watched Handmaid's Tale yet? If not, could you do so please?
I feel for you, J-Lo. I was the same way about Riverdale.

THIS is where I got that tip.

Thank you L-J! My wife and I just binge watched this over the long weekend.

I was initially hung up on the whole Archie thing, because while I knew the basic outline of the characters, I wasn't some big comic book fan growing up.

You don't need to know the characters at all, come to find out. This is a very fun show!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Woo hoo!

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Carrie Coon wasn't even nominated for an Emmy for The Leftovers. What in the actual fuck?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

She was for Fargo though.

I'd be absolutely shocked if anyone but Moss won best actress. That's the best acting performance I've ever seen in a TV show.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Episodes 1 and 2 of Rick and Morty season 3, this Sunday evening!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
That French Guy
Maude Lebowski

Post by That French Guy »

I watched season 1 of American Gods. It s Nice, visually stuning at times and I have high hopes for next season, but i wouldn't put it on a best of 2017 list.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I think I'm going to hit that up next. I like that Neil Gaiman.

Just finished 11/22/63. Sort of a ridiculous premise but really well done anyway and I really liked the statement it makes about causal events in relation to time. Also, that actress is one of the prettiest women I've ever seen. She's even attractive as an 80 year old.

Yeah, I know the rules.

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:I think I'm going to hit that up next. I like that Neil Gaiman.

Just finished 11/22/63. Sort of a ridiculous premise but really well done anyway and I really liked the statement it makes about causal events in relation to time. Also, that actress is one of the prettiest women I've ever seen. She's even attractive as an 80 year old.

Yeah, I know the rules.

Shit, totally forgot 11/22/63 came out. I really enjoyed the book, and JJ Abrams gives me optimism it's done right. I'll add that to the ever growing list.

Almost done with Season 4 of The Wire, and I am just more blown away than ever. Season 4 is the school system and mayoral race. So cool seeing how a couple characters evolved, how others stayed the same, and seeing the young hoppers move up the ranks. The episode where Colvin (retired police Commander) takes a group of highly problematic kids to a fancy restaurant as a prize hit me. Seeing these kids so far out of their element, and Colvin so unaware at how uncomfortable they were was powerful. One kid had never been to a restaurant with a waiter. Just that moment when Colvin went to so proud of himself for giving this meal to the kids, and seeing how they instantly went back to who they are, and Colvin realizing he couldn't change these kids. Damn. The best transformation, IMO, is Carver (the small, black detective), when he learned to work with the community and treat people with respect rather than cracking heads of teenagers to get info. An officer was about to hit a kid to get names, Carver pulls up, asking, "why? I know all these guys. Brody, where's Kevin at?"
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote:Episodes 1 and 2 of Rick and Morty season 3, this Sunday evening!

That's where I started. Just got to "Rick Potion #9" and I swear that the "Flu Hating Rapper" sounds just like GPJ.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Anyone else watching "Snowfall" on FX? Looking for an outside opinion on it.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote:Anyone else watching "Snowfall" on FX? Looking for an outside opinion on it.

I'm enjoying it, but it's a solid B/B- from me. It's building pretty slowly, which could be good or bad, but I'm willing to give it at least a season. I think they're at least trying to be semi-realistic as far as not having the smart kid in the hood be instantly able to pop a cap in someone's ass, etc.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I've only watched the first two, but I like it well enough. Not sure I can handle the CIA guy for too long though.

Preacher's second season has been awesome.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I've seen three episodes and it isn't doing it for me.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Expanse might be the best Sci-Fi adaptation I've ever watched. It is superb.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Jerloma wrote:Has anyone watched Handmaid's Tale yet? If not, could you do so please?

I knew I'd love this show, and even with all the hype, it is pretty much perfect. I'm 4 or 5 episodes in... We haven't really wanted to watch more than 1 episode at a time, unlike some other shows we watch. Just too intense... Maybe a little too close to home, but definitely not a "fun" thing to watch.

What I dig about it so far is that outside of Ann Dowd, they aren't really making any one person the villain. That role is played by society. They don't have some big bad evil "president" to funnel your hatred towards, so you're left with this constant unease and tension over what comes next.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote:Anyone else watching "Snowfall" on FX? Looking for an outside opinion on it.

You never said where you land on it. Interested to know.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Nonlinear FC wrote:Just too intense... Maybe a little too close to home, but definitely not a "fun" thing to watch.

Right? It's like if every episode of GoT was the one where they burned Shireen at the stake.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote:

One foot in and one foot out. The preview for next week's episode has me staying in after being about to jump out part way through the most recent episode, but I'm starting to feel like I'm getting suckered in by the previews week after week. I'm hardly watching any series right now ("Animal Kingdom" - which is entertaining, but calling it good is a stretch - and "Jim Jefferies Show"), but I am close to cutting "Snowfall" loose even though I am getting little from it.

Shortly after I posted about the show, I checked the AV Club and saw they were reviewing it. I read the five episode reviews (problems with story lines, the issues with a lack of emotional involvement with characters, particularly Teddy) and found myself falling in line with a lot of thoughts.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
brian wrote:

One foot in and one foot out. The preview for next week's episode has me staying in after being about to jump out part way through the most recent episode, but I'm starting to feel like I'm getting suckered in by the previews week after week. I'm hardly watching any series right now ("Animal Kingdom" - which is entertaining, but calling it good is a stretch - and "Jim Jefferies Show"), but I am close to cutting "Snowfall" loose even though I am getting little from it.

Shortly after I posted about the show, I checked the AV Club and saw they were reviewing it. I read the five episode reviews (problems with story lines, the issues with a lack of emotional involvement with characters, particularly Teddy) and found myself falling in line with a lot of thoughts.

For whatever it's worth, a couple of writers I respect (Sepinwall, Seitz) said the second half of the season gets much better.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

RE: Snowfall, did I miss why the CIA guy was in the desert? It was a good episode other than that.

One thing I learned watching last week's Preacher...Johnnie doesn't watch it.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Giff wrote:RE: Snowfall, did I miss why the CIA guy was in the desert? It was a good episode other than that.

One thing I learned watching last week's Preacher...Johnnie doesn't watch it.

They landed the plane in the desert on the way back to the States (CIA dude's decision). They did not do a really good job of establishing that, instead jumping in with both feet without a good explanation.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Jerloma wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:Just too intense... Maybe a little too close to home, but definitely not a "fun" thing to watch.

Right? It's like if every episode of GoT was the one where they burned Shireen at the stake.

Just watched ep. 5.

[+] spoiler
So.. That took a weird, but I guess kind of inevitable sexual turn. It was really nice/satisfying that she got to get one in without someone creepily looking on. Well, that we know of, I guess. I don't trust that house or Nick's shack out back not to be totally bugged. It's one of the things that freaks me out every time she heads over to the commander's office for the 9pm rendezvous.

Do you ever get frustrated with the flashbacks? I don't know how to articulate it... I know a lot of that stuff is vital in establishing character and setting, but the "now" is so fraught that I'm like "OK, I get it, she liked the dude and he cheated on his wife, get me back to The Commander!"
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Yeah, I don't particularly care about Luke but the flashbacks are useful (and a little terrifying) in explaining how that society got there. I should warn you that there's an episode coming that is all about what happened to Luke since they got split up. I don't think there's even one scene in Gilead.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

And I think I'll be ok with that. It's not so much that I don't like or value the flashbacks, it's much more that they are interrupting the flow.

It's not a real criticism, I'm just impatient at times.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

brian wrote:I can't get into Bosch because it still seems like a pale comparison to the novels for me.

Mea culpa. I went back and started from episode 1 and blew through all three seasons in a week. Something about the first few eps didn't do it for me back when but I got into it now. I love how you can view every character 2-dimensionally. Bosch is either evenging angel or hard-ass douchebag. J Edgar is either Robin to Bosch's Batman or the real brains of the operation.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote:
brian wrote:I can't get into Bosch because it still seems like a pale comparison to the novels for me.

Mea culpa. I went back and started from episode 1 and blew through all three seasons in a week. Something about the first few eps didn't do it for me back when but I got into it now. I love how you can view every character 2-dimensionally. Bosch is either evenging angel or hard-ass douchebag. J Edgar is either Robin to Bosch's Batman or the real brains of the operation.

My wife has been binge-watching this lately - I've been watching when I have time. I've read the first 8 books or so, great distraction to take my mind off work stress. I've found the TV show pretty enjoyable. I don't think the books are all that deep, so the TV show to me seems on about the same level.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.