Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Jerloma
The Dude

Re: Game of Thrones....

Post by Jerloma »

"He really was a little cunt, wasn't he?"

Gonna miss her.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Isn't it possible that he split his fleet?
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

bfj wrote:Isn't it possible that he split his fleet?

The big ship Greyworm saw was the Silence. The same ship that brought hot fire, returned to King's Landing, then pummeled the ships at Casterly Rock.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Rush2112 wrote:
bfj wrote:Isn't it possible that he split his fleet?

The big ship Greyworm saw was the Silence. The same ship that brought hot fire, returned to King's Landing, then pummeled the ships at Casterly Rock.

I wasn't sure if it was Silence or just another of Euron's fleet. They would all have the Kraken on the front.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
That French Guy
Maude Lebowski

Post by That French Guy »

Johnnie wrote:So yea. Sweet talk the Bank of Bravos, evacuate Casterly Rock, send them to Highgarden, and send Euron to Casterly Rock to wipe out the Unsullied. Two front wars are ridiculous.

Now, with Daenaerys light on allies, enter Jon.

Did he really wipe them out ? To me it looks like most of them were around CR and Euron mainly showed up to burn their mostly empty ships. Jamie even said they had to walk back through Westeros.
I liked that Jamie copied Robb's strategy to the point of showing up with your army and.... cut, we won, without a single hit being shown. and fuck Tarly.

And I like both Gillen (Wire 4 ever) and Littlefinger, but I can't stand the way he sounds like à third rate vilain in a batman cartoon.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

rass wrote:
A_B wrote:Lazy fucking writers. Bad pacing. Sad.

I'm not sure if I agree or not. I liked the way they told the story of the CR invasion options from Tyrion's* point of view, and I really liked Jamie's entrance into Highgarden. I don't think we needed an obligatory big battle scene at either of those locations. I guess it felt a little rushed, but some of that may have just been confusion on my part trying to figure out what happened (and I think those sequences were meant to be momentarily confusing for the viewer).

*He should probably be fired by Dany, right? He got completely outmaneuvered and cost her most of her ships, the Tyrell and Dorne armies (though it's not clear that they had picked up the latter yet, but I doubt they'll follow up on that point with everyone we know from Dorne dead or horrifically imprisoned) and one can assume a good chunk of the Unsullied. Bad Hand. Sad.

Keep in mind, as I was reminded in a recap, the first season they did a bunch of battles where they didn't show the fighting, they just flipped to a scene where someone was explaining what happened. Like the time Tyrion was about to get his fight on, got knocked out and missed the whole thing.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

rass wrote:
Johnnie wrote:Also, considering geography, Euron's ships being able to get to the other side of the continent without the benefit of a Panama Canal is annoying.

Priority one for Dani should have been eviscerating those ships. But I guess the major tactical blunders make for a better story.

Though the Unsullied's ships had to make the same journey, so...

To your second point, yeah. That's at least twice this season that Euron must have sailed past Dragonstone to get to King's Landing.

The show has ALWAYS been wonky with regards to travel. ALWAYS.

People kind of need to let that go. They very rarely tell you exactly when you are relative to other events. I think looking at maps and estimating travel time is looking for something that has long been established as... elastic for the TV version of the tale.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

What is it?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Tyrion built himself a Hoe-Door...Hodor...HA HA HA IT'S FUNNY.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Hey, btw, some of you more knowledgeable folks... I thought the Sand Snakes dosed themselves to build up an immunity to certain poisons, no? And isn't that poison the same as the one they used on Bronn to get information... that was awhile back, but these women have been used so sparingly.. That scene was weirdly sexual is all I can really remember about the details.

Just saying, until you show me a dead body, I don't count anyone as dead on this show.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ellaria took an antidote after kiss/lling Myrcella.

My thought in that vein was that I figured their weapons would always be poisoned up, so Euron should have been a goner (like Bronn almost was after fighting them).
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The best observation I've seen today (and maybe I like it because I think I should have thought of it last night) is that Jamie now knows Tyrion didn't kill Joffrey. And Cersei isn't going to care. That's another eventual wedge between them (and a big one if Jamie has to choose between his siblings).
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

rass wrote:The best observation I've seen today (and maybe I like it because I think I should have thought of it last night) is that Jamie now knows Tyrion didn't kill Joffrey. And Cersei isn't going to care. That's another eventual wedge between them (and a big one if Jamie has to choose between his siblings).

He still killed their father.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

True. Though Cersei should thank him for that.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

bfj wrote:
rass wrote:The best observation I've seen today (and maybe I like it because I think I should have thought of it last night) is that Jamie now knows Tyrion didn't kill Joffrey. And Cersei isn't going to care. That's another eventual wedge between them (and a big one if Jamie has to choose between his siblings).

But to Jamie, that is not as bad since Tyrion was set to die for a crime he didn't commit, and Cersei and Tywin would not even hear a case against the idea of Tyrion killing Joffrey.

And yes, Cersei should be thanking Tyrion for killing their father.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

duff wrote:
bfj wrote:

But to Jamie, that is not as bad since Tyrion was set to die for a crime he didn't commit, and Cersei and Tywin would not even hear a case against the idea of Tyrion killing Joffrey.

But Jamie never believed that Tyrion killed Joffrey and the fact that he didn't won't make any difference to Cersei either. It's not like she's going to give him a big hug when/if she sees him. He still killed their father and mother (according to Cersei).
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

bfj wrote:
duff wrote:
bfj wrote:

But Jamie never believed that Tyrion killed Joffrey and the fact that he didn't won't make any difference to Cersei either. It's not like she's going to give him a big hug when/if she sees him. He still killed their father and mother (according to Cersei).

True, but it should push Jamie away from Cersei's sister puss. He served a mad king, he won't serve a mad queen.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

You guys. Holy shit. I'm sure some of you will wait until tomorrow, but my God. That fucking episode was incredible.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

That one was pretty badass I agree.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Great episode.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

So Tarley reported to Jamie that the gold made it to KL, right? Leaving aside whether it makes sense that they would have sent the most important cargo off without any of the primary commanding officers, after all of the time spent with the Iron Bank(er) I was really expecting the gold to get torched and the Lannisters to be well and truly fucked.

And this is surely nitpicking, but I thought the exchange between Jamie and Bronn ("I can't shoot with one hand") was sort of dumb given that Bronn must have trained on how to use the anti-dragon gun.

That scene was pretty damn badass, though.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The A-10 Warthog provides the greatest close air support of all time!

Daenerys: Actually...

https://youtu.be/XxT5cTAcaGQ

Off we go into the wild blue yonder,
Climbing high into the sun
Here they come zooming to meet our thunder
At 'em boys, Give 'er the gun!
Down we dive, spouting our flame from under
Off with one helluva roar!
We live in fame or go down in flame. Hey!
Nothing can stop Daenerys' Air Force!

Edit...

The new video is so much better.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The warthog is a cool looking plane. I always got excited when I saw one fly over (even though I guess the C5 should have been more impressive, they were way too common).
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Yeah, I absolutely love when she goes into "Fuck this shit; I got dragons" mode.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Great episode. Nice to finally see Ayra home, and the realization that they are both still very much different creatures (she and Sansa) was kind of a bittersweet moment... But done in the guise of Arya getting a training session in with Brienne was awesome. Also nice to have Bran advance past quasi-zombie mode... Or at least maybe explain a little bit more of WHY he's acting that way. They really pushed through his plot line without a lot of explanation (which is fine), so they need to burn a bit more time explaining what the 3-eyed raven thing is all about.

And just to pile on the praise, that battle scene was fucking amazing. When this show swoops into the granular and back up to show the entire battlefield... So so good. And Bronn... Man, when he was facing off with Dany and Drogon, I'm like nooooooo don't kill Bronn!

Glad he lives to fight another day. Do we think Jaimie's gonna have to lose his golden hand to get up off the lake floor?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

rass wrote:So Tarley reported to Jamie that the gold made it to KL, right? Leaving aside whether it makes sense that they would have sent the most important cargo off without any of the primary commanding officers, after all of the time spent with the Iron Bank(er) I was really expecting the gold to get torched and the Lannisters to be well and truly fucked.

And this is surely nitpicking, but I thought the exchange between Jamie and Bronn ("I can't shoot with one hand") was sort of dumb given that Bronn must have trained on how to use the anti-dragon gun.

That scene was pretty damn badass, though.

I'd have to rewatch but I thought he said all the gold had been taken from HighGarden not loaded into KL. That's why Tarly wanted to start "flogging stragglers" to get the back of the convoy to move closer to the front in case they were ambushed. I'm pretty sure the gold was lost. Of course, I could be completely wrong.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Bfj - right before the charge tarly tells Jaime that the gold is safely through the gates.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

tennbengal wrote:Bfj - right before the charge tarly tells Jaime that the gold is safely through the gates.

Like I said, I could be wrong. I thought that's why he was so worried about being ambushed.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Gold is at KL. I read multiple recaps and a number of them make the point above: Tarly tells Jaimie the gold got to Cersie.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Nonlinear FC wrote:Glad he lives to fight another day. Do we think Jaimie's gonna have to lose his golden hand to get up off the lake floor?

His armor almost certainly. I didn't even consider that his hand would be weighing him down though.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

How deep was that fucking water? It looked like he was going to the bottom of the Mariana trench.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Jerloma wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:Glad he lives to fight another day. Do we think Jaimie's gonna have to lose his golden hand to get up off the lake floor?

His armor almost certainly. I didn't even consider that his hand would be weighing him down though.

There was a weird bit of dialogue with Bronn... something about how he couldn't shoot with one hand...
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

duff wrote:How deep was that fucking water? It looked like he was going to the bottom of the Mariana trench.

I saw that pointed out somewhere yesterday. One second his horse is running through it on the shore line, then he get knocked a couple of feet to the right into the depths.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Nonlinear FC wrote:
Jerloma wrote:

There was a weird bit of dialogue with Bronn... something about how he couldn't shoot with one hand...

I thought Bronn was going to go after the gold when he was knocked off his horse. I was for certain he was going to go back to his sellsword days. I am glad he didn't. It was nice to see his loyalty to Jamie.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Nonlinear FC wrote:Gold is at KL. I read multiple recaps and a number of them make the point above: Tarly tells Jaimie the gold got to Cersie.

Apologies, I was breaking in a new vape pen on Sunday night.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Finally got to watch the episode last night...a few thoughts:

- I too missed the exposition that the HighGarden gold was already at Kings Landing. I guess that the "Loot Train" was all full of food and grain.

-Has Dany rode any of the other dragons? Or just Drogon?

-The Brienne/Arya training scene was awesome.

-Bran needs to go full Goth and start listening to the Cure or the Smiths full time.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

This was a pretty great piece on GoT on Deadspin yesterday, with some book quotes on Bran and Euron to fill in what the show has skipped over or moved beyond in terms of explaining or setting up (among other really good thoughts):

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/game-o ... 1797656200