NFL 2017 Season Discussion

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: NFL 2017 Season Discussion

Post by Pruitt »

Man - so no Chick-Fil-A is open on Sunday?

Insane.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote:Man - so no Chick-Fil-A is open on Sunday?

Insane.

Welcome to Mike Pence's wet dream. A Christian theocracy.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnnie wrote:
tennbengal wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:Had they just put ten nerds around a fucking table in a conference room with one guy running the auction, like in what I imagine an in-person auction draft normally looks like, they wouldn't have had this problem.

If only the leading face of their fantasy sports coverage had experience in the television industry and could have imagined what that might have looked like on screen...

Seriously, though, can't imagine he had any involvement with that. He did email me several years ago because he didn't like how he was named in a "Fuck Jeeves" thread title in the Swamp.

Wait. What?

Yes, berry interesting.

Again, this is years and multiple Swamps ago, like around in the heyday of this joint.

Anyway, sometime shortly after he was at ESPN (he was gone from LA, so maybe 2009), but was still associated with his old website nickname, a Swamper looking for fantasy advice (I think it was To The Bank) started a thread called "Fuck Talented...", in the style of our old variations of "Fuck Jeeves", only using the full nickname. That, of course, hit his Google alerts (which is why I'm not using the full nickname - with all of social media now, he should have theoretically moved on from that, but I'm not finding out). He goes to the thread and I was one of many who had responded at that point, so he emailed me with a link to the thread, as if I had been caught red-handed having done something (I had responded with a fantasy opinion only).

I wrote back, briefly explaining the "Fuck Jeeves" tradition and the fact that he got picked was actually a compliment because he was big enough to get singled out, then added a joke about "you should see how some other people get treated" in those thread titles.

Didn't stop me from getting thanked in his book. And, yeah, it kinda sucks to be listed well below Tucker Max.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Gunpowder wrote:If I were a Colts fan, I'd have started getting really concerned about Luck within the past week. Shoulder injuries are not gimmes - there's a cointoss element to the healing. Drew Brees came back and apparently Cam Newton will too but Braxton Miller did not and neither did a lot of MLB pitchers. I'll never throw effectively again (unless I did the surgery all over again and had a better result). It's been 7+ months, he should be throwing again if it all went well.

Don't worry. EVERYTHING IS OK. Grigson says so.

http://sportsnaut.com/2017/08/colts-gm-andrew-luck-stronger/
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Push notifications telling me that Derek Rivers, rookie Pats DE has a torn ACL and sprained LCL. Greaaaat.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Johnnie wrote:Push notifications telling me that Derek Rivers, rookie Pats DE has a torn ACL and sprained LCL. Greaaaat.

But Belicheck....something, something.....greatest training camps ever.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

brian wrote:

Insane.

Chick-fil-A was rumored to have been considered for being on military bases and posts, but the sticking point was that they'd have to be open on Sunday. Chick-fil-A said no. (Because they hate the troops, and thus, America.)

The military takes No Days Off (Belichick'd) so neither can food places on military installations.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Johnnie wrote:
brian wrote:

Insane.

Chick-fil-A was rumored to have been considered for being on military bases and posts, but the sticking point was that they'd have to be open on Sunday. Chick-fil-A said no. (Because they hate the troops, and thus, America.)

The military takes No Days Off (Belichick'd) so neither can food places on military installations.

That's somewhat surprising to me. I'd have guessed the military would have had no problem with that.
Totally Kafkaesque
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Shirley wrote:
Johnnie wrote:
brian wrote:

Insane.

That's somewhat surprising to me. I'd have guessed the military would have had no problem with that.

The military, yes. The Army and Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES) that has to look at profit first and who controls these decisions, no.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

He was a really, really good player. Definitely belongs in the aforementioned Hall of Very, Very Good.

Tough as nails, and it's interesting that while he survived and thrived after one of the worst injuries you'll ever see, the thought of playing for the Bills was ultimately too much for him.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A group of black guys (and one white guy) kneeling in prayer during the anthem. That's gotta confuse some folks. Obviously not standing is The Worst Thing you can do, but is someone going to criticize a prayer circle? I don't know whether to be impressed by or pissed at these guys for bringing religion into this mess.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I hate the word "Browns" on those pants. Just looks stupid IMO. Nice work by those players though.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Shirley wrote:A group of black guys (and one white guy) kneeling in prayer during the anthem. That's gotta confuse some folks. Obviously not standing is The Worst Thing you can do, but is someone going to criticize a prayer circle? I don't know whether to be impressed by or pissed at these guys for bringing religion into this mess.

I actually think it's brilliant. Let the conservatives condemn public displays of piety...which they fucking love. Something has to give there.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Jerloma wrote:
Shirley wrote:A group of black guys (and one white guy) kneeling in prayer during the anthem. That's gotta confuse some folks. Obviously not standing is The Worst Thing you can do, but is someone going to criticize a prayer circle? I don't know whether to be impressed by or pissed at these guys for bringing religion into this mess.

I actually think it's brilliant. Let the conservatives condemn public displays of piety...which they fucking love. Something has to give there.

No, no it won't for the reason highlighted above.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

The white guy who joined is married to a black woman, and he had some pretty strong remarks about wanting his kids to live on a better society.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

What might have been...

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... falo-bills

Bills would still suck, but the world would be a much better place right now.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

And I bet the price would seem ridiculous in the other direction now.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Denver Broncos have had more Super Bowl appearances (7) than losing seasons (5) in 33 years of franchise ownership by Patrick Bowlen. Discuss amongst yourselves.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

sancarlos wrote:The Denver Broncos have had more Super Bowl appearances (7) than losing seasons (5) in 33 years of franchise ownership by Patrick Bowlen. Discuss amongst yourselves.

Which is more likely to happen with Siemian under center?
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Most vicious LA-based drive by since Boys in the Hood.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It's dumb and obvious but this shit almost never fails to make me laugh.

https://twitter.com/BortlesFacts/status ... 5368638464
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

By the way, looking forward to the Patriots-Lions preseason game since both teams should have starters playing for about a half. The Lions two games thus far have been pretty lame since the Colts and Jets suck (for varying reasons -- no Luck for Indy though he wouldn't have played much anyway if he had a working shoulder, the Jets are barely an NFL team at this point).

Good to see their defense destroying bad teams and all, but I'm not sold. (Though I did appreciate Christian Hackenburg almost getting killed by a DE on the third play from scrimmage in that game.)
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote:The Denver Broncos have had more Super Bowl appearances (7) than losing seasons (5) in 33 years of franchise ownership by Patrick Bowlen. Discuss amongst yourselves.

As a Bills (and to a lesser extent a Browns fan) all I can say is that I hate stats like that. HATE!

And the Bills play in a stadium named after a truly shitty owner.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Keg wrote:

Ha ha. Maybe I'm just drinking too much kool-aid, but actually, I am a Siemian fan. I think the big issue in Denver is their revamped offensive line. The line was poor last year. If they can create a running game and keep Siemian from getting injured, I think they have a great shot for the playoffs.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

That is impressive.

I looked up the Steelers. Since 1972 (yes, arbitrary): 7 losing seasons, 8 Super Bowl appearances (w/ 6 wins). A pretty good 45 year run.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

sancarlos wrote:
Keg wrote:

Ha ha. Maybe I'm just drinking too much kool-aid, but actually, I am a Siemian fan. I think the big issue in Denver is their revamped offensive line. The line was poor last year. If they can create a running game and keep Siemian from getting injured, I think they have a great shot for the playoffs.

One more thing - when rookie tight end, Jake Butt comes back from injury, the internet is going to go into convulsions the first time a broadcaster says something like, "...and Siemien goes to Butt, the tight end...".
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I don't watch tv. Is there a big to do about Kaepernick still -- especially in light of the protest in front of NFL HQ the other day? I think I saw a First Take vid on YouTube with his name in the title, but I didn't watch.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Johnnie wrote:I don't watch tv. Is there a big to do about Kaepernick still -- especially in light of the protest in front of NFL HQ the other day? I think I saw a First Take vid on YouTube with his name in the title, but I didn't watch.

The rally at NFL HQ had been planned for a few weeks but I think people were surprised by the size of the turnout (estimated at 1000). Most generally, the increased interest in CK lately is likely due to a few factors:

1. Current events (e.g., Charlottesville) have increased sympathy for CK's point that this country still has major issues with racism.

2. CK still is unsigned, despite being an obviously good fit for teams like the Jags, Colts, etc.

3. A lot of NFL players have been engaging in anthem protests thus far this offseason. The issue is not going away, despite his absence from an NFL roster.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Also, that guys like Chad Henne have a starting gig and while CK can't even get signed keeps it fresh in the news cycle.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

tennbengal wrote:Also, that guys like Chad Henne have a starting gig and while CK can't even get signed keeps it fresh in the news cycle.

Or that people are acting like Jay Cutler and Adam Gase are the second coming of Montana and Walsh, even though their Bears team won only 6 games and was mediocre-to-bad in every single offensive metric.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Joe K wrote:The rally at NFL HQ

The shirts were pretty damn sweet.

https://twitter.com/TimRohan/status/900 ... fitzgerald
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Damn, that is slick. I like that shirt.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Makes me laugh that all the bars I go to in Reno* have taken down their Kaepernick shit in the last year. Couple places literally had shadows on the walls where they hadn't gotten around to putting up something new yet. I should have bought that shit for pennies on the dollar and figured out a way to re-sell online somehow.

* - Don't forget that not only did he go to UNR, playing for the Niners made him a god in Reno since that's the hometown team (along with the Raiders). Would be like a kid from CMU becoming a starting QB for the Lions. You wouldn't be able to walk two feet in Mount Pleasant and not see a jersey or something.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

https://theathletic.com/89431/2017/08/25/guest-column-the-true-colin-kaepernick-from-someone-who-has-been-there-and-calls-him-a-friend/

This is a really good piece, that gets at just how intelligent and thoughtful Kaepernick is. (Not that the Wonderlic matters much, but he had one of the highest scores of any NFL QB.)
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Aaaaaaaand FML. Fucking starters in the preseason.

https://twitter.com/SlopingGiraffe/stat ... 0576476163
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Joe K wrote:https://theathletic.com/89431/2017/08/25/guest-column-the-true-colin-kaepernick-from-someone-who-has-been-there-and-calls-him-a-friend/

This is a really good piece, that gets at just how intelligent and thoughtful Kaepernick is. (Not that the Wonderlic matters much, but he had one of the highest scores of any NFL QB.)

I didn't know theathletic.com had launched already (four weeks ago, at least the Bay Area pages). While I was clicking around a half-price offer popped up, for either month-to-month or annual subscription. Kawakami alone is worth $2.50 a month times 12, so I'm in.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…