NFL 2017 Season Discussion

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: NFL 2017 Season Discussion

Post by Johnnie »

Johnnie wrote:Aaaaaaaand FML. Fucking starters in the preseason.

https://twitter.com/SlopingGiraffe/stat ... 0576476163

Torn ACL. Fucking shit.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

This LA Rams vs LA Chargers makes me giggle. Chargers only played one year at the Coliseum then moved south. Before my time, I was four in 1960. Chargers owner was Paris Hilton's grandfather. Coliseum looks great, but to me it always does.

Then again, the Raiders played three years in San Francisco, humble beginnings of the AFL.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote:
Johnnie wrote:Aaaaaaaand FML. Fucking starters in the preseason.

https://twitter.com/SlopingGiraffe/stat ... 0576476163

Torn ACL. Fucking shit.

Sad.

ForEdelman. Pats fans get no sympathy.

Doing my research for the drafts this week.

Fun stat - last year the Pats won 17 games (including the playoffs). In the last 5 seasons, the Browns have won 20 games.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

So, some of the Lions fanbase is melting down about the fact there is apparently some interest from teams in acquiring their backup QB, Jake Rudock*. I don't know if it's true or not, but I don't see anything special in Rudock. Regardless, if some team were to offer a second rounder for him*, the Lions should jump on it and sign Kaepernick to be the backup to Stafford.

I said before that I understood them not going after Kaep because of how they felt about Rudock, but that all changes if you can actually acquire a decent asset for him and sign someone who is liable to be at least as good as a backup. Ideally, Stafford doesn't get hurt this season, signs an extension and then you have your starter for the next five years and you can kick the backup QB question can down the road a couple of years.

* - I realize that's high but only reason to deal him would be for a valuable asset. Anything less than that and not worth dealing a guy who was a sixth-rounder last year and is likely to still have trade value next year
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Not exactly news, but as most of you already know, there is only one cutdown day this year, which is after the fourth preseason game. The reason for the delay of what had been the first cutdown day is to allow teams to field teams in the fourth game full of guys who aren't going to make the final roster, thus preventing teams from having to play guys who actually matter to the team. Nobody wants another Julian Edelman-type injury right before the season starts.

For example, Denver said, even before the 3rd preseason game, that 4th string quarterback Kyle Sloter* will play the whole 4th preseason game, barring injury. They also said that if he does leave for any plays, they won't throw any passes. Except for guys like Sloter, the fourth preseason game is a farce.

But it is going to be fascinating seeing about 1,100 players get cut on Saturday. I imagine lots of teams will then do some quick re-shuffling.

* Now with Denver 2nd stringer Paxton Lynch out for a couple weeks and 3rd stringer Chad Kelly going on IR, Sloter could actually make the roster for a couple games - a longshot until very recently, so I guess this game does matter for him.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Huge opportunity really. Can't ask for more than that. Impress and someone will find you.

Mike Reiss
ESPN Staff Writer

In his weekly interview on sports radio WEEI, Bill Belichick noted that he has watched every game over the last three weeks in the NFL. His answer came in the context of saying that there is very little scheme being played across the league in the preseason, but also reflects how he has a heavy hand in personnel. With more than 1,000 players set to hit the open market by Sept. 2 when rosters are trimmed to 53 players, Belichick is obviously working hard to ensure he has a knowledge of possible fits for the Patriots in areas that could help the team.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Like most NFL deals, it's full of "fake" money, though there's no reason to think the Lions won't let the deal play out unless Stafford gets catastrophically injured or his play falls off a cliff for some reason. Basically, it's $100M guaranteed over the next four years (including this season, which was tied into the extension for cap reasons), then team options in 2021 and 2022 for $19.5M and $22.5M (in real money) respectively.

It also includes $7.5M in cap relief for 2017, which is interesting because while the Lions were somewhat close to the cap, that's still a lot of money considering most of their contract obligations are spoken for. Means they could also be considering a long-term extension for Ansah though conventional wisdom is they'll let Ziggy play out his deal and can franchise him if necessary while they work out a long-term deal after this season.

Could mean they might still be interested in working some deals for depth on the defensive line or will have flexibility if they have some issues with injuries. Most people think the Lions cap situation is bad, when really it's the opposite -- until this extension they had the largest amount of cap space for 2018 of any team in the NFL (though remember, a decent amount of that was carved out knowing this deal was coming).

Cap hits in 2020 and 2021 will be about $30M each year but with cap relief for the next two years and no other dead money or onerous deals on the books. Believe it or not, folks the Lions might actually have a chance to build a contender if Bob Quinn continues hitting on draft picks like he did in 2016.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I don't think it's complicated, there's about a dozen veteran QBs that are worth a damn, and he's one of them.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Osweiler Update

It's unclear if any of the Browns' recent trade talks have been serious, but Osweiler is clearly a candidate to be moved to a quarterback-needy team in the near future.

VERY needy, one would presume.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Would Osweiler not immediately improve the Jets from a 0 win team to a 0 win team with a couple more TDs?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I don't think he's going anywhere unless the Browns retain most of the cost of his contract. But, if they do that, then Buffalo and the Jets seem like obvious landing spots.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

sancarlos wrote:I don't think he's going anywhere unless the Browns retain most of the cost of his contract. But, if they do that, then Buffalo and the Jets seem like obvious landing spots.

Tyrod Taylor is waaaaay better than Osweiler so I don't see why Buffalo would be interested.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Joe K wrote:
sancarlos wrote:I don't think he's going anywhere unless the Browns retain most of the cost of his contract. But, if they do that, then Buffalo and the Jets seem like obvious landing spots.

Tyrod Taylor is waaaaay better than Osweiler so I don't see why Buffalo would be interested.

Tyrod Taylor (and T.J. Yates) still in the concussion protocol.

ETA:
NFL.com wrote:Coach Sean McDermott told reporters Tuesday that both Tyrod Taylor and T.J. Yates remain in concussion protocol. Taylor exited the team's third preseason game Saturday after getting his head slammed to the turf on a sack.

The Bills head into Thursday's preseason finale with rookie Nathan Peterman and newly signed Keith Wenning as the only two healthy quarterbacks on the roster. McDermott noted he's mindful of exposing Peterman in the fourth preseason game, as the fifth-round pick could be the starter Week 1, per Chris Brown of the team's official website.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Buffalo is a LeSean McCoy trade away from being in "let's bring in our own guys"/tank mode.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DSafetyGuy wrote:Buffalo is a LeSean McCoy trade away from being in "let's bring in our own guys"/tank mode.

Taylor's no all-pro, but they go into the season with J. Peterman as the starter it is tank mode.

Considering the style that Taylor plays, this is the team that could really use Kaepernick. But this is the burg where fans were selling shirts with Kaeprnick in rifle crosshairs, so that'll tell you about the team's "base."
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Unless your OC has coached Kaepernick in his system before that ship has sailed. I'd far sooner a bad QB that has been in the system than a somewhat better QB off the street. Can't they call some former backup?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Jets gonna Jet!

NFL.com wrote:...The Jets' quarterback situation is undoubtedly the saddest in the league. And it nearly got worse on Thursday night.

In the first quarter of the Jets' final preseason game against the Eagles, McCown went down with an injury to his midsection when he took a hit to the ribs. He was tended to by doctors on the field.

Was the Christian Hackenberg era finally here due to the fact that the Jets decided to play their starting quarterback in their fourth and final preseason game?

Fortunately for the Jets (and reporters on the sideline who don't want to be hit by Hackenberg's errant passes), McCown was able to shake off the hit. Strangely, after almost losing their starter to an injury in a meaningless preseason game, the Jets sent him back in for another series...
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote:Jets gonna Jet!

NFL.com wrote:...The Jets' quarterback situation is undoubtedly the saddest in the league. And it nearly got worse on Thursday night.

In the first quarter of the Jets' final preseason game against the Eagles, McCown went down with an injury to his midsection when he took a hit to the ribs. He was tended to by doctors on the field.

Was the Christian Hackenberg era finally here due to the fact that the Jets decided to play their starting quarterback in their fourth and final preseason game?

Fortunately for the Jets (and reporters on the sideline who don't want to be hit by Hackenberg's errant passes), McCown was able to shake off the hit. Strangely, after almost losing their starter to an injury in a meaningless preseason game, the Jets sent him back in for another series...

McCown is going to be in a wheelchair by 50. The guy takes crazy punishment. The Jets make me happy to be a bills fan.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Bears sent Trubisky back in at the end of a 25-0 game last night when the fourth-stringer got banged up and had him throw passes. He originally played four series to start the game, including nine straight handoffs on the first three drives.

I root for a team that decided their most important asset should barely pass the ball when he was "scheduled" to play in a meaningless game, then pass when they were down 25 points in the final minute of the same game. And, yes, he got sacked on the final play of the game.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote:The Bears sent Trubisky back in at the end of a 25-0 game last night when the fourth-stringer got banged up and had him throw passes. He originally played four series to start the game, including nine straight handoffs on the first three drives.

I root for a team that decided their most important asset should barely pass the ball when he was "scheduled" to play in a meaningless game, then pass when they were down 25 points in the final minute of the same game. And, yes, he got sacked on the final play of the game.

My God, if he had torn his ACL on that series, the hot takes might have ripped open a wormhole into another dimension.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Jets are definitely signaling their intention to go for 0-16 it looks like.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think this might have been the worst game in the NFL in the last 15-20 years or so*, but Jets/Browns this year might give it a run for its money.

* - As far as the general putridness of the teams. Going by DVOA those are two of the worst teams in the last 20 years and they actually played each other. So like I'm saying Jets/Browns might give it a run.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

brian wrote:I think this might have been the worst game in the NFL in the last 15-20 years or so*, but Jets/Browns this year might give it a run for its money.

* - As far as the general putridness of the teams. Going by DVOA those are two of the worst teams in the last 20 years and they actually played each other. So like I'm saying Jets/Browns might give it a run.

This is by far the worst game I ever saw, and it didn't help seeing it in person.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 230cle.htm

You gotta love a 6-3 barn burner that featured 12 punts, two blocked field goals and three turnovers. The Seahawks had two drives out of 11 that went past midfield; the Browns fared a little better in that regard but proceeded to shoot themselves in the foot at every opportunity.

At least it wasn't snowing.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Sabo wrote:
brian wrote:I think this might have been the worst game in the NFL in the last 15-20 years or so*, but Jets/Browns this year might give it a run for its money.

This is by far the worst game I ever saw, and it didn't help seeing it in person.

You gotta love a 6-3 barn burner that featured 12 punts, two blocked field goals and three turnovers. The Seahawks had two drives out of 11 that went past midfield; the Browns fared a little better in that regard but proceeded to shoot themselves in the foot at every opportunity.

The immortal Clipboard Jesus!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:The Bears sent Trubisky back in at the end of a 25-0 game last night when the fourth-stringer got banged up and had him throw passes. He originally played four series to start the game, including nine straight handoffs on the first three drives.

My God, if he had torn his ACL on that series, the hot takes might have ripped open a wormhole into another dimension.

After the game, John Fox said he liked that Trubisky wanted to score. Hopefully, heart attacks come in threes.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Just found out from another website that Brian's post was about the Jets trading Sheldon Richardson to the Seahawks for Jermaine Kearse.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Sabo wrote:

I'll nominate another Browns 6-3 classic.

The Legendary 2009 Browns-Bills Game

Derek Anderson's winning QB line - 2/17 for 23 yards, 1 int.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

And so ends the Osweiler era in Cleveland.

Impossible to feel too sorry for a very wealthy young man, but man, he is now a punch line.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt wrote:And so ends the Osweiler era in Cleveland.

Impossible to feel too sorry for a very wealthy young man, but man, he is now a punch line.

The internet's reaction when he gets hired before Kaepernick, except with torches and pitchforks:

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Pruitt wrote:And so ends the Osweiler era in Cleveland.

Gary Kubiak and Rick Dennison must be offensive geniuses to help Osweiler look decent for those games in Denver. I get that he was playing on an absolutely loaded team but I was still pretty convinced he was competent.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

He has some talent. For gawds sake, he won a playoff game for Houston earlier this year.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

sancarlos wrote:He has some talent. For gawds sake, he won a playoff game for Houston earlier this year.

Connor Cook playing in place of Derek Carr might've had something to do with that.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Joe K wrote:
sancarlos wrote:He has some talent. For gawds sake, he won a playoff game for Houston earlier this year.

Connor Cook playing in place of Derek Carr might've had something to do with that.

Of course, but his primary anchor around his neck is the contract that is just too big relative to his play. With a cheap contract, he'd certainly have a job.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So Seabass' career in Oakland is done right? I mean $4M for a kicker with a back problem is a no brainer cut, right?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So Seabass' career in Oakland is done right? I mean $4M for a kicker with a back problem is a no brainer cut, right?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Roberto Aguayo is available. Moron Bears took a $428K flyer on him as a second kicker before cutting him three weeks later. Only $20K a day he was in camp. Way less than the $250K a week Sea-Bass is in line for.