Old Timey Music for Howard and DC

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Old Timey Music for Howard and DC

Post by Pruitt »

I am a massive reggae fan, and this guy was one of the greats. If I was in charge of creating a a Mt. Rushmore of reggae legends, Gregory Isaacs would be on there. In honour of his birthday (not that he's getting any cake - dead 7 years now), please enjoy his biggest hit.

(Perfect vibe for a hot summer day)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE7lgCGQ48I
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

40 years ago?

Christ, when did I get so old?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyfOxpyBkCE
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

They say compassion is a virtue; but I don't have the time. (Be a little more selfish; it might do you some good!)

I was introduced to them, literally, 39 years ago. Friend was promoting a show, they played Davis three times in a year. They were cool, Byrne a little weird but they weren't famous yet. Played those first two records hundreds of times. Don't seem like it was so long ago.

Detroit Emeralds mentioned on soundtrack of this new car chase movie. Once, maybe that same summer, I was looking at all the cool sides I couldn't afford at a record store (Tower?). They had a t-shirt giveaway, one free with any LP purchase. This was the best thing I found in the 50¢ bin.

Detroit_Emeralds_I'm_In_Love_With_You_album.jpg
Detroit_Emeralds_I'm_In_Love_With_You_album.jpg (17.34 KiB) Viewed 2209 times

Not a great record, but I still have it.

This one is great

Detroit_Emeralds_You_Want_It,_You_Got_It_album.jpg
Detroit_Emeralds_You_Want_It,_You_Got_It_album.jpg (20.16 KiB) Viewed 2209 times

Three radio hits, this one I like most:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihlZ7ISXUyU
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Smooth. Drops my blood pressure to hear the sweet instrumental track behind the vocalists.

Here's a funkier version of an Emeralds hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B10-z3dXDCg
DC47
Walter Sobchak

What you can do with two basses

Post by DC47 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHuzSDOAcBg

Few people seem to know of Larry Graham. But everyone has heard his bass line on those Sly Stone hits.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Still can do it

Post by DC47 »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I played that Stanley Clarke/Larry Graham piece for my bass-playing daughter. She was well-impressed!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

They could tour as a trio.

I may have mentioned Tal Wilkenfield before. Last time I saw her, she was leading a band and opening for The Who. A fully mature bass player, vocalist, composer, and band leader. Here she is closer to her beginnings with some random guitar player who, although he hired a monster to get behind the drums, probably didn't have the money to hire a real pro to play bass. Later Corea and Hancock had a similar problem I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blp7hPFaIfU
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Lots of ways to play the bass

Post by DC47 »

Larry and Steve certainly expanded some boundaries in the performance above. Tal and Jeff do a bit along those lines here, albeit a bit more playfully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVb-izZVCwQ
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuPeODVcdvM

(track is actually Norwegian Mood)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I didn't realize Graham played with Sly in that resurface appearance a few years ago. I was a huge Larry Graham fan, loved those records after he left Sly.

I'd never seen that Graham/Stanley Clarke, that is way cool. And that little girl above can really play.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Winter

Post by DC47 »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnny was a guitar monster, no doubt about it. I think I've mentioned before that when I saw him in the late 80s, he had to be led out onto the stage by hand, he was so blind. He then proceeded to just kill it on stage. For his encore, he was joined by his opening act, Robben Ford. Those guys are both great guitarists.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Have you seen Robben Ford play much? I'm a fan. He is a Mendocino County native, and played around Northern California when he was breaking in during the '70s. He broke pretty fast, as he quickly went from playing with his brothers to playing with Miles Davis and the Tom Scott band that backed Joni Mitchell. The brothers are still around Northern California, so I imagine Robben gets back there now and then.

Trivial trivia note: I used to see the Ford brothers play in bars in Ukiah and thereabouts, and jammed with one of them. This was after Robben had moved on to the LA fast lane.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DC47 wrote:Have you seen Robben Ford play much? I'm a fan. He is a Mendocino County native, and played around Northern California when he was breaking in during the '70s. He broke pretty fast, as he quickly went from playing with his brothers to playing with Miles Davis and the Tom Scott band that backed Joni Mitchell. The brothers are still around Northern California, so I imagine Robben gets back there now and then.

Trivial trivia note: I used to see the Ford brothers play in bars in Ukiah and thereabouts, and jammed with one of them. This was after Robben had moved on to the LA fast lane.

Good stories. Ive seen him twice, but not recently. I have a couple guitar-playing friends who are huge fans, so I hear his music played fairly often.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Rush's Farewell To Kings released 40 years ago today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV-5iNu6Sd8
When they turn the pages of history
When these days have passed long ago
Will they read of us with sadness
For the seeds that we let grow
We turned our gaze
From the castles in the distance
Eyes cast down
On the path of least resistance

Cities full of hatred
Fear and lies
Withered hearts
And cruel, tormented eyes
Scheming demons
Dressed in kingly guise
Beating down the multitude
And scoffing at the wise
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Watched a BBC 4 doc on British Prog Rock over the weekend and have gone deep into Prog/Krautrock

Discovered this today. It's fucking excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khejrbgdc4w
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I liked Brian Auger, had a couple of his mid-70s Oblivion Express records. DIdn't know about this earlier stuff (until the TV show Absolutely Fabulous used a tune for their theme song, below.) If my memory serves me well. I need to listen to more of hm. He was in a band called Steampacket, more swinging 60s stuff, with both Julie Driscoll and Rod Stewart sharing vocals (Long John Baldry too). I like her voice, I'm gonna give a listen. So much fun discovering records that are 40-50 years old yet new to me.

quick bio of Julie Driscoll Tippetts, better than her wiki page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkCBVZHrstE

Oh my, stumbled on this clip (no music, just 3 minutes of goofiness.) (last clip is low fidelity, Driscoll and Mickey Dolenz on a duet.) I was 12yo when this show aired, 33 1/3 Revolutions per Monkee. Haven't thought of it in forever. My young mind wasn't formed just by war, riots, Lee Harvey Oswald and 1968 on the TV, but also by shit like this.

I've been jonesing for a Hammond B3, and the only reason I haven't bought one is I can't fucking play, and even if I began daily practice (something I've never done since about age 13), I'll never be able to play it. But man, do I want one with this paint job!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WUtoWFSpWw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSF12TKyVSo

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

The B-3 was certainly a magical instrument in rock, soul, and jazz starting around 1960. The thin "keyboards" that followed couldn't do it for me after hearing the B-3 masters. He's not up there with Jimmy Smith and Booker T for me, but Brian Auger was certainly playing in the major leagues. Along with guys like Preston, McLagen, Rolie, Winwood, Manzarek, Jon Lord, Felix Cavaliere, Larry Young, John Medeski.

So too, Julie Driscoll wasn't up there with Aretha or Janis to my ears. But she was outstanding. She sounds like a better version of Grace Slick. Similar (great) look as well.

I think in the popular music domain, "making it" largely comes down to timing and material. There are a lot of Auger/Driscoll types who didn't really make it, and faded from popular view. Could be that if Auger had come up with "Green Onions" and Driscoll was handed "Somebody to Love" before Slick sang it, that they'd have been legendary instead of obscure, remembered only by the very few.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G4tAam4Arc
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Look at this sucker. Practically giving it away at $3800. Comes with the less popular PR 40 reverb speaker cab, I can pick up a Leslie 122 later for not too much over $1K.
Prob cost nearly as much to crate and ship from Houston.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/65-Hammond-B3-P ... g#shpCntId

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Sweet looking instrument.

If it's in Houston, perhaps they're giving it away now. Perhaps some water damage. But shipping may be nearly free, given all the trucks full of supplies that are headed south. Empty trucks headed back north lower shipping rates.

Maybe you can locate Billy Preston's Hammond. Now that would have some good vibes. Maybe a burn mark on top from Lennon's cig.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

This song has been going through my head lately.

I been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonapah...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JwNaPIbeH0
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Never been/driven to Tucumcari, but have hit the other three garden spots. Also, never did weed, whites and wine all together. What a wonderful tune.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

howard wrote:Never been/driven to Tucumcari, but have hit the other three garden spots. Also, never did weed, whites and wine all together. What a wonderful tune.

Rumor was ol' Frank kicked him out of the band for "writing a song about dope."
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EnochRoot wrote:
howard wrote:Never been/driven to Tucumcari, but have hit the other three garden spots. Also, never did weed, whites and wine all together. What a wonderful tune.

If Lowell George had stayed with the Mothers, maybe Little Feat would never have been. The twists of fate...
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

EnochRoot wrote:

I heard/remember two reasons. Frank was anti-drugs (other than caffeine and nicotine) and Lowell was pro. And that LG suggested Willin' for Frank to play/record. But Frank also thought Lowell was so talented that he should have his own band, and encouraged him; might've been either reason, or both, or neither. There is another old tale that once LG played a 15 minute guitar solo, with his amp turned off, and that was the last straw. He was only with the Mothers for a few months, and apparently they got along afterward, and collaborated on some stuff.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Willin' at 1:02.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXsFZjfNCDY

I've always been puzzled by the Lowell George - Frank Zappa connection. What did George offer Zappa? He wasn't a killer guitar player in the Zappa mode. Did Zappa let him play much slide? Didn't write the kind of songs Zappa wrote -- and Zappa wasn't keen on doing other people's stuff. George was a fine, soulful singer. But I wonder if Zappa cared much about that.

Finally, George was heavily into hard liquor and coke. Perhaps he was keeping it together when he played with Zappa, and only lost it later. So many did in that era, rock stars or not.

Little known fact: George appeared on the TV show "F Troup" with his pre-Feat band. Also produced a Dead album. Not many have done both.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

howard wrote:
EnochRoot wrote:

I heard/remember two reasons. Frank was anti-drugs (other than caffeine and nicotine) and Lowell was pro. And that LG suggested Willin' for Frank to play/record. But Frank also thought Lowell was so talented that he should have his own band, and encouraged him; might've been either reason, or both, or neither. There is another old tale that once LG played a 15 minute guitar solo, with his amp turned off, and that was the last straw. He was only with the Mothers for a few months, and apparently they got along afterward, and collaborated on some stuff.

A more yacht rock-y version is where Donald Fagen shoves Michael McDonald out of his band because he was tired of a backup singer sounding better than he does.

Good point on the collaborative aspect to it. Weren't other guys in Little Feat from the Mothers as well? Drummer? There might've been another link to past bands too.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DC47 wrote:I've always been puzzled by the Lowell George - Frank Zappa connection. What did George offer Zappa?

They knew each other as teenagers in L.A. It could have been as simple as an adolescent friendship.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

One of the guys I work with saw Lowell George in the Arlington Co. morgue after he passed. Also, the Marriott where he died (right near the Pentagon) is now a set of soccer/lacrosse turf fields.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DC47 wrote:Willin' at 1:02.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXsFZjfNCDY

I've always been puzzled by the Lowell George - Frank Zappa connection. What did George offer Zappa? He wasn't a killer guitar player in the Zappa mode. Did Zappa let him play much slide? Didn't write the kind of songs Zappa wrote -- and Zappa wasn't keen on doing other people's stuff. George was a fine, soulful singer. But I wonder if Zappa cared much about that.

You're understating Lowell George as an impactful guitarist. HIs roots were jazz, pretty much as Zappa's. However, he wasn't seeing the world through the same kaleidoscope as Frank did. But Zappa saw enough talent in him to keep him around as a (largely) uncredited rhythm guitarist. I mean, just listen to Willie the Pimp. While Zappa's the only credited guitar on the track, there's zero doubt in my mind that Lowell and George weren't trading licks getting that song ready for vinyl.
Noli Timere Messorem
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Hey, DC, remember these guys? Rush does I bet. When the history of the emergence of southern rock is told, these guys are ofter omitted. An anti-Marin county bias, no doubt.

The Job story in the godless thread (aren't they all on this forum?) made me think of this tune that I loved in ninth grade, (a six minute song telling a bible story would be played on commercial radio, different times.). the following tune too. They even did an early cover of Willin', which I had forgotten about until today.

(lyrics)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugQkcJbac6w

(lyrics)
deep in the darkest hour/of a very heavy week
(and sweet blonde Rickenbacker bass, just like mine)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayz1bwRLNW4

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Seatrain? Fuck yeah. Don't remember them, as I wasn't born when it was released. A good friend from the Bay area (by the way of Jamaica) turned me deeply on a few years ago when I came upon them on the youtubes.

Funny. Like Seatrain she moved from Marin to Massachusetts, but more Boston than the north shore.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I was early into bluegrass, when it was a dying form. So when wonder-child vocalist Peter Rowan left Bill Monroe's highly traditional bluegrass band to form (join?) Seatrain with a bunch of young guys, including notably fiddler Richard Greene (also a Monroe alum?), who played electric, rock-influenced music, I was all in.

This is the version of the band's line-up I listened to quite a bit in the early 70s. I lived on the east coast then, and thought of Seatrain as a Massachussets band rather than Marin. Perhaps because the album I knew best was "Marblehead Messenger." Trivia note: George Martin, producer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWmMbIpjLlI
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Flute Thing

Post by DC47 »

The instrumental "Flute Thing" was an improbable hit record for The Blues Project in the mid 1960s. The legendary Al Kooper wrote it. But it was the flute player Andy Kulberg who gave it the quirky charm that made the song. He was later the bass player in Seatrain, so it was in their book too.

Kooper was out of The Blues Project by the time Monterey rolled around, so that's not him on the keyboards (he was in the audience.) Kulberg uses some amazing echoplex on his flute. Danny Kalb played some fine guitar. The "hit version" of this song was of course much tighter. That arrangement cut a lot of the farther out flute explorations. But it was still a psychedelic landmark.

Howard, I'll bet you recognize some of the guys they panned to in the audience. I see Paul Simon, Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper, and some of the Quicksilver guys. I'm sure there are more. Monterey was a gathering of the rock tribe, with musicians ready to dig each other as the scene exploded. Not something that happened much after that at big concerts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oIE95Ro9Ms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wrWQTjmMpg
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Great posts, guys!

Speaking of that show. An old friend of mine attended Monterey Pop. (I may have posted that before.). He showed me a program he kept from the event. He had it under plastic it was beautiful and probably worth some money. Sadly he died a couple years ago but his brother still has the program I'm sure. (btw, His brother was an artist for Bill Graham, and drew an album cover for the band Montrose - managed by Graham.)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

My exposure to Haim has been limited to their studio stuff, and frankly, it has yet to draw me in...but this looks like a fucking blast.

https://youtu.be/VikyxJoBF2k
Noli Timere Messorem