this is a thread to test shit out

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

admin
Maude Lebowski

Re: this is a thread to test shit out

Post by admin »

pony_keg wrote:What is the default posts per page?
I believe I set it at 40. I like a lot of posts per page so I recall (yesterday) setting it higher than the default.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

No way to embed videos or is that just disabled?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
admin
Maude Lebowski

Post by admin »

Yep. 40. And your post was #40 in this thread, Keg.

'loma, I've explained that a couple of times. Poke around the other board-specific threads. Thanks.
Ryan the Temp
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Ryan the Temp »

Avatars are worth seeing once, then totally annoying. Small above all, that's what I say!
admin
Maude Lebowski

Post by admin »

Ryan the Temp wrote:Avatars are worth seeing once, then totally annoying. Small above all, that's what I say!
Completely agree. I'd have them even smaller but I know well that wouldn't be cricket with the lads.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Liked grasspenis green but subsilver is just where it's at. I missed this look, although I wish I could green up the blue.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I'm a 300x300 guy myself. Avatars are an art form, and I need a suitable canvas.

HATE the "a post was submitted since you responded" notice or whatever it is - I had to go through it 3 times on my last post.
Ryan the Temp
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Ryan the Temp »

Grasspenis wrote:HATE the "a post was submitted since you responded" notice or whatever it is - I had to go through it 3 times on my last post.
Yeah, that threw me too. Although I can see instances when it be would pretty clutch.
admin
Maude Lebowski

Post by admin »

Grasspenis wrote:Liked grasspenis green but subsilver is just where it's at. I missed this look, although I wish I could green up the blue.
Head over to the phpBB site, look at their Styles database (or just Google phpBB3 styles and click on the phpBB.com site that contains 'em).

If you can find one to everyone's liking that is also compatible with phpBB3 (that's important), I can install it.

But, as you know, I'm really concerned with getting the functionality as smooth as possible; that's what I've been working on non-stop ever since the forum went "live" last night.
bryan
Jackie Treehorn

Post by bryan »

Looks like it re-sizes pretty well on mobile devices. I'm not gonna push back on 300x300, but would veto anything bigger than that.
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

admin wrote:
ZTest wrote:Any chance of getting the avatars on the LEFT? Or are we embracing our Judaism?
If you switch your default board style to "subsilver2" or (whatever) they should appear on the right.
Yee haw.
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

admin wrote:
Grasspenis wrote:Liked grasspenis green but subsilver is just where it's at. I missed this look, although I wish I could green up the blue.
Head over to the phpBB site, look at their Styles database (or just Google phpBB3 styles and click on the phpBB.com site that contains 'em).

If you can find one to everyone's liking that is also compatible with phpBB3 (that's important), I can install it.

But, as you know, I'm really concerned with getting the functionality as smooth as possible; that's what I've been working on non-stop ever since the forum went "live" last night.

The color of the board carries little to no importance. I'm not asking you to put in any new schemes right now, was just pimping the subsilver.
testy boxcar
Maude Lebowski

Post by testy boxcar »

one vote for smaller avatars
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Grasspenis wrote:
admin wrote:

The color of the board carries little to no importance. I'm not asking you to put in any new schemes right now, was just pimping the subsilver.
I like it way better too. Everything is back where it's supposed to be.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
admin
Maude Lebowski

Post by admin »

ZTest wrote:
admin wrote:
ZTest wrote:Any chance of getting the avatars on the LEFT? Or are we embracing our Judaism?
If you switch your default board style to "subsilver2" or (whatever) they should appear on the right.
Yee haw.
Sorry. I meant left. Obviously. Dammit. Anyway, you got it.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

[youtube][youtube]

Test
Last edited by Jerloma on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

What did I do wrong there?
admin
Maude Lebowski

Post by admin »

Temporary J-Lo wrote:What did I do wrong there?
viewtopic.php?p=78#p78
nohyphenUSA
Jackie Treehorn

Post by nohyphenUSA »

It looks like a number of the themes on the phpbb database let you play around with the colors.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

nevermind
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
wrecks
Jackie Treehorn

Post by wrecks »

how about skyline reset to green?

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... eit-editor

This one is also pretty easy to customize...

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... eit-editor
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

digging the subsilver. i could get comfortable here
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Ryan the Temp
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Ryan the Temp »

How about something that we totally customize colors all the time? Then we can have the Swamper of the Month pick his favorite? [/preschool]. Or the Swampcrash champ [/awesomeschool]
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Post by Johnny Hotcakes »

My vote is for the existing avatars. I never really liked the smaller avatars in whatever the last version of the Swamp is popularly referred to. I find avatars give the place some character and allows for expression. Otherwise, in my opinion it gives off a sterile, institutional look. But that is just one asshole's opinion.

ZLAX OUT
Popin' ain't easy
howard test2
Jackie Treehorn

Post by howard test2 »

Fortress of Lies
By James Howard Kunstler
on March 11, 2013 9:24 AM
http://kunstler.com/blog/2013/03/fortress-of-lies.html
History has a special purgatory where it sometimes stashes feckless nations punch drunk on their own tragic choices: the realm where anything goes, nothing matters, and nobody cares. We've surely crossed the frontier into that bad place in these days of dwindling winter, 2013.

Case in point: Mr. Obama's choice of Mary Jo White to run the Securities and Exchange Commission. A federal prosecutor back in the Clinton years, Ms. White eventually spun through the revolving door onto the payroll of Wall Street law firm Debevoise & Plimpton, whose clients included Too Big To Fail banks JP Morgan, Bank of America, Morgan Stanley, and UBS AG, defending them in matters stemming from the financial crisis that began in 2008, as well as other companies that needed defending from allegations of financial misconduct, such as the giant HCA hospital chain (insider trading), General Electric (now a virtual hedge fund with cases before the SEC), and the German-based Siemens Corporation (federal bribery charges).

A republic with a sense of common decency -- and common sense -- would have stopped the nomination right there and checked the "no" box on Mary Jo White just for violating the most basic premise of credibility: that trip through the revolving door that shuttles banking regulators from the government agencies to the companies they used to oversee and sometimes back again.

Has there not been enough national conversation about the scuzziness of that routine to establish that it's not okay? Does it not clearly represent the essence of dysfunction and corruption in our regulatory affairs? Didn't President Obama promise to seal up the revolving door? So how could Mary Jo White possibly be taken seriously as a candidate for the job? And how is it possible that everyone and their uncle, from The New York Times editorial page to the Sunday cable news political shows to the halls of congress, is not jumping up and down hollering about this? Well, because anything goes, nothing matters, and nobody cares.

The funny part is that, when challenged over her past connections to the banks and companies she would now have to regulate, Mary Jo White offered to recuse herself from future cases involving them. So, from the get-go as SEC head, Ms. White would not concern herself with the doings of JP Morgan, Bank of America, and Morgan Stanley? How is it that gales of laughter did not blow Mary Jo White clean out of the hearing room? Is there not another qualified person from sea to shining sea who could come in and do the job without one hand tied behind his or her back?

Now it also turns out that upon leaving Debevoise & Plimpton, Ms. White is scheduled to collect monthly retirement checks from the company amounting to a half million dollars a year -- that's for life, by the way -- while she supposedly runs the SEC. How is that not a conflict of interest? The remedy proposed by Ms. White and her attorneys was for her to take the retirement loot as a lump sum during her tenure as SEC chair, after which she could revert to collecting her pension in the $42,500 monthly payouts. Pardon me, but, well ...what the fuck? What planet are we on?

As if that's not enough, Ms. White's husband, John W. White, is a partner at another giant Wall Street law firm, Cravath, Swaine & Moore, which frequently tangles with the SEC on behalf of its clients. Mr. White proposed to change his pay structure while his wife runs the SEC. More gales of laughter. He is also on the advisory committee of the Financial Standards Accounting Board, the group that oversees national accounting practices and which, in 2009, infamously changed its Rule157 so that TBTF banks could "mark to fantasy" the fraudulent CDOs and other bond-like "innovative" securities that they created -- many of which they had to eat after the housing bubble bust when the collateral for these swindles lost its value and the "innovators" could no longer pawn the stuff off on credulous pension funds and other client "muppets."

The silence over this disgraceful matter -- and many others like it, including the dead hand in the empty suit posing as US Attorney General -- indicates that not only is the rule of law extinct in this country, but so are public figures of principle and credible news organs. Nobody has made a noise about it. Anything goes, nothing matters, and nobody cares. So, the objection to it has to come from outside the authorized channels. And the consequences will mount outside the fortress of lies that the establishment has become.
"…and, you ground into a World Series ending double play"
Ryan the Temp
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Ryan the Temp »

No bibliography?
wrecks
Jackie Treehorn

Post by wrecks »

How much of that was automated Howard?
howard test2
Jackie Treehorn

Post by howard test2 »

Shrew
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Shrew »

Thanks for all your hard work. I really appreciate it. I don't post as much as some but I do really like having this place around.
Test Ride the Sybian
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Test Ride the Sybian »

Ryan the Temp wrote:Don't like having to read Jewstyle to see who wrote a post before I actually read the post.

Majority rule. If you don't like it, join a Christ-loving sports-themed board without so many lawyers.

And since I couldn't quote ZMan's similar anti-Semitic Jew hating Nazi rant, any way we can add a feature to quote two posts? Please realize Scottie, I don't mean this at all as a complaint, or a pushy demand, just trying to help formulate a punch list. I think I speak for most of the Swamp when I say we are thrilled to see this board back, and we aren't too picky with about the features, merely asking questions out of ignorance and curiosity. And some times sarcasm, because most of us are trollish pricks pricks half a step up from basement dwelling sock fuckers. And by most of us, I mean myself, Mr. D and Ryan.
howard test2
Jackie Treehorn

Post by howard test2 »

Abe wrote:It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicted to the great task remaining before us--that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to the cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion--that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain--that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom--and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

What are the ramifications for having a post reported?
howard test2
Jackie Treehorn

Post by howard test2 »

we'll find out now.

eta:

Last edited by howard test2 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

Temporary J-Lo wrote:What are the ramifications for having a post reported?
Scottie finds out where you live, and eliminates you.
admin
Maude Lebowski

Post by admin »

ZTest wrote:
Yep. Catapult.
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

admin wrote:
ZTest wrote:
Yep. Catapult.
Odd. I would have thought you a trebuchet man, myself.
admin
Maude Lebowski

Post by admin »

ZTest wrote:Odd. I would have thought you a trebuchet man, myself.
Maybe I'll have better luck if I force him to build a pyramid in my backyard.
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Post by Johnny Hotcakes »

Test Ride the Sybian wrote:
And since I couldn't quote ZMan's similar anti-Semitic Jew hating Nazi rant, any way we can add a feature to quote two posts? Please realize Scottie, I don't mean this at all as a complaint, or a pushy demand, just trying to help formulate a punch list. I think I speak for most of the Swamp when I say we are thrilled to see this board back, and we aren't too picky with about the features, merely asking questions out of ignorance and curiosity. And some times sarcasm, because most of us are trollish pricks pricks half a step up from basement dwelling sock fuckers. And by most of us, I mean myself, Mr. D and Ryan.

Just wanted to echo this. When responding to requests for feedback, I also went to make clear that I am not in any way trying to be an asshole. This must have taken a tremendous amount of time and effort, and it is very much appreciated. At this point, it is an absolute luxury for the Swamp to be in this format and as functional as it is. Anything else is gravy.

Thanks again, Le Scottie!
Popin' ain't easy
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

You're welcome, Zlax. (I'm certain that is the first time I have ever typed that line.)

I completely welcome any and all feedback. Really. Everybody, don't hold back. In many cases, if you don't tell me something is bothering you, I simply won't know. In fact, that is exactly why we have the forum as it is right now . . . to figure out all of the quirks and quarks.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Is there a method of having the title of the thread go to the last page of the discussion?

I know that there are little page numbers to click on, but I'm a title clickin' man and not knowing how threads with 20+ pages are displayed it might be nipping a future problem in the bud.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?