Breaking Bad

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Breaking Bad

Post by brian »

Todd's uncle and friends had some pretty extensive weaponry. It's hard to not to imagine that Gilligan and company want us to at least think that Walt's M-60 may be intended for them.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Vince Gilligan was on the Nerdist podcast a couple weeks ago, right before the current season premiere (there are spoilers if you were not caught up to said season premiere). Really good listen and they do get into how Bill Burr was cast on the show.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote:Todd's uncle and friends had some pretty extensive weaponry. It's hard to not to imagine that Gilligan and company want us to at least think that Walt's M-60 may be intended for them.
Yes, that makes sense. Would lead to Walt's purification through the shedding of their blood.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Weatherfrog
Maude Lebowski

Post by Weatherfrog »

I don't see it. No way that one guy with and M60 and virtually no training can take down that many experience, well-armed dudes. I mean they slaughtered the "Say My Name" dope cookers. And those dudes were pretty badass themselves. I just don't see it.

It wouldn't surprise me if Walt just went all Charles Whitman on Hank's cul de sac at this point. Taking out Todd's skinhead team just seems like too much.

Then again, maybe he pulls off some elaborate drive by on those dudes with the Ricin vial clenched between his teeth.

Regardless, this has been an epic beginning of the end. I cannot believe there are only six more left. So much could happen.

Hank and Jesse, man. Shit.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I finally watched it. Man. It might take a day or so to process.

I was pissed at the way they ended just before that interrogation. Anyone think the first thing Hank does is turn off that camera? Clearly he knows that Jesse is his ticket to Walt, especially if he was throwing money around town. I think Hank plays good cop and tries to get Jesse to cop a plea. Jesse might do it. The guilt is eating him up and he clearly doesn't like or trust Walt anymore.

I agree that the showdown brewing is Walt vs. Madrigal, not Walt vs. Hank ... however I would be a little disappointed if the Mexican cartels didn't come back into play. Remember they wanted in when Gus was going big. He set them back with his slaughter, but surely they aren't done. Nature abhors a vacuum, so whoever filled in that gap in Mexico will surely be looking to expand in to Gus' former territory. I don't think "say my name" guy scared them much, so they were probably putting out feelers already. There's no way Todd's crew knows how to run a large drug bidness.

It's funny how my feelings about characters tends to run with how they are acting around Walt. With Skyler sticking by him in this episode, I like her again. I hated her when she was (justifiably) hating Walt and fucking her boss. And now that Jesse is anti-Walt, I'm finding him intolerable as well. Walt is a completely evil piece of shit, but yet he's MY completely evil piece of shit.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Sooooooo happy I can finally read this thread. That "tread lightly" line at the end of the first episode was an excellent "OH SHIT!" moment. I loved it.

I'm also bummed that just a mere 6 episode hours (though really 4 hours & 40-ish minutes of non-commercial air time) are all that's left. It seems like another 3~4 episodes can be stretched into this 2nd half of the season. But...I'm glad it isn't. That means every scene and every set up will have an awesome, impactful influence to ride out the series.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Shirley wrote:I finally watched it. Man. It might take a day or so to process.

It's funny how my feelings about characters tends to run with how they are acting around Walt. With Skyler sticking by him in this episode, I like her again. I hated her when she was (justifiably) hating Walt and fucking her boss. And now that Jesse is anti-Walt, I'm finding him intolerable as well. Walt is a completely evil piece of shit, but yet he's MY completely evil piece of shit.
I was merely going to comment that Skyler's sticking with Walt was only about self-preservation (and keeping her kids), when something occurred to me - she actually seemed a bit tender with him when he was lying helplessly on the bathroom floor. It'd been a while since she could take control of what's going on in their lives, and a return to this feeling seemed to energize her.

One of the great things about a long-running series that is so well-done: everything that occurs can be analyzed to the nth degree.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Breaking Bad Sub-Reddit is awesome, btw.

Also...the co-ordinates that Walt put on a lotto ticket (which some Redditor played, btw) takes you to Albuquerque studios.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Pruitt wrote:I was merely going to comment that Skyler's sticking with Walt was only about self-preservation (and keeping her kids), when something occurred to me - she actually seemed a bit tender with him when he was lying helplessly on the bathroom floor. It'd been a while since she could take control of what's going on in their lives, and a return to this feeling seemed to energize her.
Well, she had a choice in that diner and almost no time to decide. Hank offered her protection if she rolled on Walt. At the same time, his eagerness and failed attempt to hide his panic showed that he didn't really have much to go on yet. He NEEDED her confession to have a case at that point. Of course, Hank also made the critical error of trying to manipulate Skyler into talking into the recorder. Granted, he had no idea how involved she had been in money laundering, but still. That manipulation pushed her buttons.

So, she had to choose - her husband who had turned into a monster. Or her brother-in-law, who while an ass at times, was truly a good guy - but here he was using some of the same manipulative tricks on her.

She chose Walt. So I'm on her team again.
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Belize is pretty awesome. Seriously considering retiring down there one day.
testy boxcar
Maude Lebowski

Post by testy boxcar »

with an exceptionally high murder rate!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

testy boxcar wrote:with an exceptionally high murder rate!
Speaking of murder rates...This “Breaking Bad” Theory Is Pretty Mindblowing.

(Can you tell I've been without internet for the past 2 months?)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

There's about 125 murders a year. That's like a month's worth in Detroit.
testy boxcar
Maude Lebowski

Post by testy boxcar »

we just pad our stats a little better.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

"several nice locations to swim for Skyler" was a nice touch. They clearly really watch the show!
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Shirley wrote:"several nice locations to swim for Skyler" was a nice touch. They clearly really watch the show!
I liked that one. The entire second half of the second paragraph has a little touch for all cast members.
howard
Karl Hungus

"Eat Me"

Post by howard »

"My name is Walter Hartwell White…this is my confession."
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

While it may seem as if I am picking nits, last night's episode kind of left me cold until the point when Jessie looked at his cigarette pack. THEN it really took off.

The scene in the restaurant as well as Walt's confession... kind of contrived.

Understand, I am only comparing the episode to other Breaking Bad episodes, so the standard is pretty high.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

By the way, Aaron Paul won another Emmy last night.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I thought that it was about the best 47 minutes of TV since the finale of the first half of this season.

I didn't think the mexican place was contrived at all. It was perfectly acted. Walt gave him the chance to back off without the threats.

And thrilled to see Jesse starting to wreck shop.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I enjoyed last week's episode more than this one. This one was fantastic, but I'm not nearly as high on AP's performance as Brian.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Johnnie wrote:
testy boxcar wrote:with an exceptionally high murder rate!
Speaking of murder rates...This “Breaking Bad” Theory Is Pretty Mindblowing.

(Can you tell I've been without internet for the past 2 months?)
I don't buy it. With her seemingly on his side right now and Walt's disgust at even the mention of sending Hank to Belize, I don't think that's what will happen.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

govmentchedda wrote:I enjoyed last week's episode more than this one. This one was fantastic, but I'm not nearly as high on AP's performance as Brian.
You don't think so? I had the same reaction as Brian for that scene in the desert. Just expert work. Its not often that you out-act Cranston in the same scene on this show. Excellent work by Paul.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The desert scene was good, I guess. I'm just not that crazy about his work when he gets super emotional. See end of desert scene, trip back to Saul's, etc.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote:By the way, Aaron Paul won another Emmy last night.
You misspelled "Dean Norris". Hank was amazing last night...from his slow seething during the dinner scene, to his realization of just how fucked he is while watching the confession video.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm with Brian on Aaron Paul here. That whole performance from top to bottom was just excellent. The range of emotions. The situation he was placed in. Just an up-and-down force all around. Considering the knock in the first 2 episodes was him not saying much, he spoke out in a huge way. It was nice to see him stand up to Walt, but Walt is far ahead of him mentally. Hugging him was a powerful Good Will Hunting-esque moment. Except Matt Damon didn't then get consumed by rage after realizing he'd been tricked.

Walt lying to his son seems like one of the most evil moments of the season so far. You can actually see the relief in his face from Junior deciding to not go out and help Marie, but it's simultaneously a look of care and love that his son is showing empathy. So, so evil!! Reminds me of Kevin Spacey in The Usual Suspects being able to (semi spoiler alert) make it seem like looking around the office was him just being disconnected and not actually taking everything he's reading into crafting a fake story.

Did anyone else try to count the pieces of flair on the server in the Mexican restaurant? As soon as that dude started talking I started laughing. And then I laughed again when he saw Marie and Hank's faces. Straight comedy there.

(Really, John? 3 scenes and 3 movie references? Who are you? Bill Simmons? And now you're talking to yourself? Douche.)

Here's a gap for me...has Jesse had the same pack of cigarettes this entire time? I'm spacing. What tipped him off about the ricin? I remember the scene where the doctor told him it was Lilly of the Valley or something. But did he think he still possessed the ricin capsule?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Oh man. I'm losing it over here.

(This has to be the new "Hitler Reacts to.." meme, right? I mean, it's perfect.)

Weatherfrog
Maude Lebowski

Post by Weatherfrog »

http://www.vulture.com/2013/08/jesse-br ... ettes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good article re: Jesse's cigarettes
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote:I'm with Brian on Aaron Paul here. That whole performance from top to bottom was just excellent. The range of emotions. The situation he was placed in. Just an up-and-down force all around. Considering the knock in the first 2 episodes was him not saying much, he spoke out in a huge way. It was nice to see him stand up to Walt, but Walt is far ahead of him mentally. Hugging him was a powerful Good Will Hunting-esque moment. Except Matt Damon didn't then get consumed by rage after realizing he'd been tricked.

Walt lying to his son seems like one of the most evil moments of the season so far. You can actually see the relief in his face from Junior deciding to not go out and help Marie, but it's simultaneously a look of care and love that his son is showing empathy. So, so evil!! Reminds me of Kevin Spacey in The Usual Suspects being able to (semi spoiler alert) make it seem like looking around the office was him just being disconnected and not actually taking everything he's reading into crafting a fake story.

Did anyone else try to count the pieces of flair on the server in the Mexican restaurant? As soon as that dude started talking I started laughing. And then I laughed again when he saw Marie and Hank's faces. Straight comedy there.

(Really, John? 3 scenes and 3 movie references? Who are you? Bill Simmons? And now you're talking to yourself? Douche.)

Here's a gap for me...has Jesse had the same pack of cigarettes this entire time? I'm spacing. What tipped him off about the ricin? I remember the scene where the doctor told him it was Lilly of the Valley or something. But did he think he still possessed the ricin capsule?
Jesse lost the ricin capsule. Huell bumped him in that episode too. It occurred to Jesse that Huell was a pickpocket when he couldn't find his pot.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

AB_skin_test wrote:
Johnnie wrote:I'm with Brian on Aaron Paul here. That whole performance from top to bottom was just excellent. The range of emotions. The situation he was placed in. Just an up-and-down force all around. Considering the knock in the first 2 episodes was him not saying much, he spoke out in a huge way. It was nice to see him stand up to Walt, but Walt is far ahead of him mentally. Hugging him was a powerful Good Will Hunting-esque moment. Except Matt Damon didn't then get consumed by rage after realizing he'd been tricked.

Jesse lost the ricin capsule. Huell bumped him in that episode too. It occurred to Jesse that Huell was a pickpocket when he couldn't find his pot.
Yeah, even when that happened Jesse suspected Walt of poisoning Brock, but he let himself be talked out of it though I doubt he ever really fully believed that Gus Fring was responsible. When he realized Huell lifted his pot, he finally put 2 and 2 together that Huell was the one who lifted the pack of cigarettes with the ricin capsule meaning that it was Walt who poisoned Brock.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

brian wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:

Yeah, even when that happened Jesse suspected Walt of poisoning Brock, but he let himself be talked out of it though I doubt he ever really fully believed that Gus Fring was responsible. When he realized Huell lifted his pot, he finally put 2 and 2 together that Huell was the one who lifted the pack of cigarettes with the ricin capsule meaning that it was Walt who poisoned Brock.
But he knows Brock wasn't poisoned with Ricin. That can't be what set him off, right?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That's kinda my issue with it Jerloma. It seems a farily huge leap.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote:
But he knows Brock wasn't poisoned with Ricin. That can't be what set him off, right?
No, they told Jesse it was lily of the valley. But he knew then and knew all along Walt was capable of poisoning him. Walt's obvious lies to Jesse kept piling up over the last few episodes (he didn't kill Mike, he just wants what's best for Jesse, etc.) I don't think it's as much of a leap as some people think for him putting everything together based on Huell lifting his weed.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, the whole ricin cigarette storyline has never really made sense to me, and still doesn't. When the cig was missing, why did that somehow imply that Gus had stolen it and poisoned the kid? That makes no sense.

Further, Jesse knows now (I think) that the kid wasn't poisoned with ricin. Yes, Walt did poison the kid, but not with ricin and not with Jesse's cigarettes.

So that plotline never made sense to me, other than the base fear Walt briefly created in Jesse that Gus was behind it. And it doesn't make any more sense now.

Can someone explain what I'm missing? (Yes, I get the Huell is a pickpocket part, just not the rest of it.)
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Weatherfrog wrote:http://www.vulture.com/2013/08/jesse-br ... ettes.html

Good article re: Jesse's cigarettes
Ah. Got it. I saw my disconnect. But like Dave/Rerun, it doesn't completely connect Fring to stealing it and using it. That angle seemed weak. But then again, so was Jesse.

I guess I'll just hit the "I believe" button and follow what Brian said. The continuation of lies and the trend of being duped finally put him over the edge -- not necessarily the ricin itself. The ricin was "found" in the Rumba after Walt stole it back.

Ideally, Jesse would have stumbled upon the Lilly in The Valley at Walt's house (pending it's still there) and went berserk. All he knows at this point is he's hit his final straw with Walt because Walt has been completely manipulative. He still can't effectively connect Walt to poisoning Brock. But circumstantial evidence to a dude's that's lost it is going to be enough.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The bigger thing is that Jesse realized that it had been lifted. He couldn't 100% account for it being gone before, thoguh he suspected.

Now he KNOWS walt is pulling all the strings, without having to suspect it, and he's pissed off that Walt gave him the whole Dad hug shizz when he was simply manipulating Jesse one more time.

Jesse flat out asked him "Tell me you need me to leave" but Walt wouldn't do it, despite that being the plan all along. Jesse is tired of getting jerked around by the old chem teacher.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Another thing to keep in mind (don't know if it was posted in that article) is that this has all taken place over a very short period of time. So while we remember the poisoning two seasons ago it wasn't all that long ago to the characters, so everything is a lot more fresh in his mind.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

BTW, I think that last episode might be the point where I finally start turning on Walt. Holy shit was he evil last night. He had four separate, excruciating manipulations that just made your skin crawl.

First was his masterful, entirely too easy, manipulation of Walt Jr. into not going to Hank and Marie's. He did this one without an ounce of effort. He got Walt Jr. to think that HE decided not to go. This one was fairly benign and the least evil of Walt's work, but the fact that it was his son made it worse.

Then you had the disgusting display with Jesse in the desert. Jesse sees through all of Walt's bullshit now - or at least he thought he did. Then the hug. The hug worked. Jesse relaxed and gave in to all that Walt wanted to begin with. The hug was beautiful. The cheerful "start all over!" speech before was almost hard to watch.

The scene in the restaurant was Walt's weakest effort. He tried hard to make Hank and Marie seem like the bad guys for ruining his family, but they weren't taking the bait. Walt just looked pathetic here. Had to love the Chotchkies guy though - a great bit of comic relief in an otherwise intense and difficult scene.

And of course, the piece de resistance, Walt's incredible, mind-blowing "confession" video that absolutely crippled Hank and Marie. Holy shit. It's hard to remember any TV/movie/book protagonist pulling off something so ballsy and cold-blooded. Again, it was almost hard to watch.

BTW, did anyone else wonder if Skyler really knew what was on that CD? I wonder if he didn't record two different "confessions." It's hard to imagine her going along with such an incredibly evil plan. I guess Walt's justification could have been it was like the USA and USSR pointing nukes at each other - mutual destruction as a means to uneasy peace. Damn.

Lastly, I wonder what stops Jesse. We know he doesn't actually burn the house down. Does he flinch before lighting the match? Does Flynn come in on him? Does Hank come in on him (remember, Hank went for "a walk")? I really hate to see Jesse go down before this is all over, but it's starting to look like that's the only way it can end.

I love this show.
Totally Kafkaesque