2017 NBA Offseason

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

howard
Karl Hungus

Re: 2017 NBA Offseason

Post by howard »

Westbrook took 24 shots per game last season; PG-13 took 18, both career highs. Melo 17.8. I'll be surprised if Russ and Melo find a way to coexist offensively. Lotta talent, but they're gonna need more basketballs.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

DSafetyGuy wrote:The first time I saw a tweet of the projected starting lineup, the instant thought I had was wondering if they'll ever sit Roberson so neither George or Anthony has to play the four, as they both whined about it previously in their careers.

With the shift to "positionless basketball", it would seem to be a non-question, but George was bitching about it two years ago. Melo did it five years ago, when the Knicks had their fluky 54-win season (and shot a ton of threes), then didn't want to return there, even though he is better suited to play there now.

Roberson could even play the 4 because he's so long, and is a worse perimeter player than George or Melo. If the stars buy in (especially on defense), they have the type of length and positional flexibility that is ideal for today's NBA.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

howard wrote:Westbrook took 24 shots per game last season; PG-13 took 18, both career highs. Melo 17.8. I'll be surprised if Russ and Melo find a way to coexist offensively. Lotta talent, but they're gonna need more basketballs.

This could obviously be true, but I Iove OKC's off-season because they went from having absolutely no chance of winning a title to a team that could catch lightning in a bottle if things break right. For example, if Isaiah Thomas' hip is as bad as some fear, and one of the Warriors' stars gets hurt, the Thunder could have a very real shot at the 2018 title.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

You are right in your analysis, Joe. They drastically improved themselves, it might work. I don't think it will, but the chance of them winning a title went from near zero to significantly above zero.

Dubs are just an injury to Curry or Durant away from beatable by Houston, SA, or now OKC.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I'm not a basketball guy, but is there any evidence in his past at all that leads you to believe that Carmelo might buy in on defense?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

It's so strange to see the Knicks make a move whose negative effects (if any) will only be felt for a year, two years tops.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

sancarlos wrote:I'm not a basketball guy, but is there any evidence in his past at all that leads you to believe that Carmelo might buy in on defense?

He's playing on a team that legitimately expects to be one of the league's best and will likely shoulder a smaller offensive load than he has in over a decade. Both those factors should increase his defensive efforts. IIRC, the one season he rated as a plus defender was the year the Nuggets made the Conference Finals, which may suggest that his effort correlates to his expectations that the team can contend.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

He'll be more interested for a while on a winner. As long as he doesn't have to stay in front of anyone on the perimeter he could bang and rebound enough with bigs and get a hand up on stretch 4 types. Problem is on offense as he hasn't proven talented enough to win on his own and hasn't been willing enough to give up touches for team benefit. He's old now though and the easy road will be to float and take jumpers in transition, after double teams and off offensive rebounds. Feel like he knows he can't be the volume scorer anymore and the other guys won't let him so it will work.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Woj is reporting that the Cavs, Spurs, Heat and possibly Thunder are in the mix for Wade. I think it'll come down to the Cavs and Thunder. The Cavs seem like the most logical fit as he could replace Shumpert in the backcourt rotation. But I also could easily see him going to the Thunder to team up with his buddy Melo.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Me, to my actress wife - "I'm picking Oklahoma City"
My actress wife - "Like, the one in Oklahoma?"
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Ryan wrote:Me, to my actress wife - "I'm picking Oklahoma City"
My actress wife - "Like, the one in Oklahoma!"

FIFY
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

With the addition of Wade, I think the Cavs have the 2010 NBA championship locked up.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

They just need to sign Bosh and it is all theirs.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I think Wade is washed up, but as long as he's taking minutes that would otherwise go to Shumpert or Rose -- and not JR or Crowder -- it's probably a decent move.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Two of these guys are going to be counted on to hit threes and guard the Golden State Warriors in the NBA Finals, along with James, Crowder, and Tristan Thompson:

Jose Calderon, Kyle Korver, Kevin Love, Derrick Rose, JR Smith, Isaiah Thomas, Dwayne Wade.

And one of those guys will be guarding Klay Thompson.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Oh, JR Smith is absolutely the key to this season for the Cavs. Which is terrifying.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

League approves lottery reform

Like, wouldn't giving the 4 teams with the best records that didn't make the playoffs the best lottery odds prevent tanking since it removes the incentive to get a benefit from losing?

Or am I crazy?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie wrote:League approves lottery reform

Like, wouldn't giving the 4 teams with the best records that didn't make the playoffs the best lottery odds prevent tanking since it removes the incentive to get a benefit from losing?

Or am I crazy?

That seems a little extreme. I'm fine with tweaking the odds a little to try and prevent tanking, but you can't actually literally punish teams for being bad.

ETA: Also in that scenario, it would arguably be even worse because you'd have teams intentionally tanking to NOT make the playoffs which looks even worse for the league. A 40-40 team with two games left literally bouncing the ball off their legs out of bounds to try and get the #1 pick and avoid the Golden State's of the world in the first round.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Maybe. But they had to get to 40 wins in the first place...which is the opposite of intentionally losing. Though I get what you're saying.

Otherwise, in my mind, all 14 teams missing out get even odds. It's tough to make teams do their best when there's incentive in losing.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Seems like it used to be that way but then some teams including the Cs got #1 picks and they changed it.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote:Otherwise, in my mind, all 14 teams missing out get even odds.

Right? If you introduce odds, people will play those odds.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I feel like this is a doctoral level math problem waiting to be solved. Equity of fairness for bad teams with true randomness.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its not possible because all factors that determine badness are manipulable.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

The only idea I've ever read that approaches good is that thing where you start counting wins after you've been mathematically eliminated

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I like the wheel.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

An idea I've had is:
- Make the top three picks a complete free-for-all, with all 30 teams getting an even chance.
- Then from the fourth pick on, just go back to ascending order of regular-season record for the remaining 27 teams.

This puts a modest limit on what a team can guarantee itself by tanking, and makes the draft an even bigger event, with fans of every team excited at the chance of getting a top pick. Fans of the reigning champion, or a middle-of-the-pack team, get to anticipate the lottery just as much as the worst teams.

Of course it would never happen because owners want a safety net for sucking, but it's fun to think about.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Giving good teams the best draft picks would be a way bigger problem than tanking for me.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Even lottery odds and then the 2nd round in order of record? That's not enough incentive to lose, is it?
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I remember kicking an idea around over the summer. I don't think it was here, so I'll shoot it out for you.

We have two competing problems:
1. Because of the sport of basketball has so few players, getting the best ones are paramount, and the quickest way to turn a bad team into a good one.
2. A system that rewards bad play is worrisome; when it encourages out-and-out tanking, it's problematic.

So here's a few ideas:

1. First, open the lottery up to the 14 teams that miss the playoffs, AND the 2 8th place conference teams on a limited basis.
2. Change the number of balls in the hopper by this method. Look at the 14 teams that miss the playoffs. Find the median total of wins (not the mean) and round that number up. That becomes "The Cut-Line". All teams that end their season with MORE wins than The Cut-Line get that many balls in the hopper equal to The Cut-Line number, INCLUDING the two 8 place conference teams.
3. All teams below The Cut-Line get as many balls in the hopper for as many wins as they had.
4. Only the first draw for the Number 1 overall is based on these balls in the hopper. So in effect, the 8th Place teams (i.e. the last IN the playoffs) would have as good odds for the Number 1 overall as the 8th through 14th teams.
5. After the Number 1 overall is picked, this time the lottery is re-allocated so the worst team has the best chance, the 2nd worst has the 2nd best, and so on. For this and the subsequent, the 8th Place Playoff qualifiers are not in this one.
6. The picks for the 2nd and 3rd occur, again with the worst teams getting the best chances.
7. Picks 4 through 14, like today, go in reverse order of records of teams that miss the lottery for the top 3.

So in effect it would do this:
1. It would force teams to at least try to get marginally better, since it would make teams at least try to get to the playoffs, or failing that, become less terrible.
2. Once it is apparent that a team isn't good enough for the playoffs, there is still an incentive to try as win as much as possible, especially since the #1 pick is tied to your total wins.
3. Bubble playoff teams who might tank to miss the playoffs to get into the lottery is now not there. There is every reason to fight for the 8th slot, especially since a chance would exist that they could make the playoffs, even if they get swept out, and hit the lottery for the Number 1 overall.
4. If a team is truly terrible, and lose games legitimately because of lacking talent/coaching as opposed to tanking, then the #2 or 3 pick is in play.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Ryan wrote:The only idea I've ever read that approaches good is that thing where you start counting wins after you've been mathematically eliminated

I also liked this one (a lottery ball for every win after they are eliminated, right?).
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Ryan wrote:The only idea I've ever read that approaches good is that thing where you start counting wins after you've been mathematically eliminated

I also liked this one (a lottery ball for every win after they are eliminated, right?).

What happens when you get eliminated on last day and get no balls?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:

Then you are ball-less. They have no balls, Cotton.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

A_B wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:

Ballless in Secaucus

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Ryan wrote:
A_B wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:
Ryan wrote:Ballless in Secaucus

I can't believe the sequel to Sleepless in Seattle flopped so bad.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Maybe the NBA doesn't need a draft at all anymore. There's already a salary cap that limits how much each team can spend. Generally, the best players make the most money, so the best teams have the least room in the cap.

So, make it an auction. In negative order of finish, teams nominate a player to auction. If you nominate, you have to give an opening bid. Since these are rookies, you'd be bidding on their 2- or 3-year salary. That way, the teams that have the most cap space and WANT to spend money to win will have the opportunity to do so. Go through two rounds of this, just like in the current draft and limit teams to two signees each (or maybe three, to keep most teams involved until the end).
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

As much fun as that might be to watch, the players union would NEVER go for it. Would drive pretty much all mid-priced veterans out of the league since teams would be cutting payroll wherever possible to be able to bid on the best "draftees".

(Also, as we recently learned white owners bidding on mostly black players..even if they're getting the money from the auction...no bueno.)
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

And do you think all those snowflakes out there would be for auctioning off young black men for 3-4 years of services to the rich white owners.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."