Phones & Cases And Such

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Re: Phones & Cases And Such

Post by bfj »

Fuck Sprint and ATT to a lesser extent. Trying to switch from Sprint to ATT and what a fucking nightmare of bullshit it has been. I wanted to get my mom an iphone for her birthday. After being with Sprint for 15 years, I figured they would have some good deal where I could upgrade her phone and keep my bill somewhat close to what I was paying before (I pay for Mom's cell now). Nope! No deals, upgrades are pointless and don't save you any money anymore. So I found my way to ATT, they were going to give me a new iphone for mom, let me bring my other 3 iphones (2 5's and a 5s) over and send me new sim cards. No fuss/muss, just insert new cards and off you go. GREAT!!

I get the phones, port the numbers over, Mom's new phone works like a charm, but the sim cards don't work in the phones we are bringing over. Now, at this point Sprint has cut off my account, ATT is already billing me and my wife, son and I have apple paperweights because there is no working service. At this point ATT tells me the phones must be unlocked by Sprint. Apparently, Sprint and some other carriers have some sort of digital lock on the phones to prevent you from swapping sim cards and changing carriers without authorization. Sprint customer service is direct out of Mumbai or somewhere like that and is impossible to work with. They are telling me the phones are unlocked, the phone and ATT tells me otherwise. My son's phone, the 5s is now working. After 5 days of no phones (wife=not thrilled), ATT tells me that the iPhone 5 phones CAN'T BE UNLOCKED! Now I have to buy new phones. Fuck Sprint for their technology that doesn't allow Iphone 5 to be unlocked. Fuck ATT for not telling me that Sprint Iphone 5 phones won't be able to be unlocked.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

govmentchedda wrote:Just made the move to Pixel and Project Fi as the carrier. Pixel isn't cheap, but it can be financed, and I like Project Fi a lot, so far.
Hey chedda, how are you still digging Google Fi? Our phone contract is up at the end of the month and we're considering switching to Google Fi and their phones. And how do you rate the Pixel?
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I like the Pixel a lot, but Google Fi has been pissing me off lately. I think the main problem may be specific to me. I work on the 17th floor of my building downtown, and cell service is funky. For example, if I leave Pokemon Go on in my office, my avatar will just roam around, gaining steps for me. One of the great things about Google Fi is that it will use Wifi networks for a call as well. The problem with that for me is that the server and wifi is on the other end of the building. I'm close enough so that my phone picks it up, but far enough away so that the wifi service is very weak. Therefore, cell calls from my office are a giant pain in the ass. Luckily, I have a landline, so that's not a huge problem unless my wife is calling me in the middle of the day.

I'm completely past the iOS to Android OS transition phase, and so that's no big deal any more.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Thanks, chedda. I've decided I have the "courage" to leave the iPhone platform behind, so the Google Pixel seems like a good place to start. And if I'm going to get that phone, then it opens Google Fi as an option as a service provider. I've been reading some reviews of the Google Fi, and it seems users have similar problems as you. But it sounds like as long as you're near WiFi, the service is pretty good.

Thanks again.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I am in love with my iPhone, but mainly I think because of the battery life. I haven't run it down below 50% in a single day yet. Apparently the plus has a massive battery, as the smaller phones don't have nearly that much juice.

If I'd have known that and was against the bigger screen I would have gone for the phone anyway. Not sure why Apple doesn't tout that as a selling point more often.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The wifi at my office blows or I'd be interested in it as well once my iPhone dies.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

What phones do you guys have?

I'm still rocking a Google Nexus 6 and it continues to truck along. For the 32 GB of storage that it has, I still have 17 GB left. It's not overloaded with apps and I don't play games. For all intents and purposes, I'm content and don't need to upgrade. The battery life is decent, but I carry a 22000 mAh power bank around with me just because. Its eventual replacement has to be just as big too. The screen has to be 6". But unless this bricks out, I'm not getting a new one.

However, I've kept the new Google flagship Pixel XL2 in my periphery because it's going to be just as big, but better because technology. But today the rumor is it will NOT have a 3.5 mm jack. If that is confirmed, nope. Google ragged on Apple because they got rid of it and now they joined them.

So my next phone is either the Galaxy S8+ or the LG V30. But that's if this one bricks, like I said.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I like my Pixel 1, non XL size, and google Fi service. The Fi service is essentially Sprint and T-Mobile, and is generally good. It's got a 3.5 jack, but my newest headphones are bluetooth, and my only complaint is that I tend to forget to untether them when I'm done and the battery wears out.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

govmentchedda wrote:I tend to forget to untether them when I'm done and the battery wears out.

They have the pocket battery saver for phones (shuts shit down when it "sees" it's in a pocket, I'm sure it can be configured to shut off Bluetooth (which is named after the Danish king Harald Bluetooth that united the Danish tribes. The Bluetooth symbol is the amalgamation of the runes of his initials.)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Just upgraded from a nearly six-year-old iPhone 4S to a 6S because the promotion made the phone cheaper than the accompanying AppleCare. Obviously, the old phone was slower than shit, but the battery life going in the tank was the real motivating issue (aside from the deal).
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'd still probably be on my 1st iPhone if it weren't for the battery life issue. Almost like they know.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote:I'd still probably be on my 1st iPhone if it weren't for the battery life issue. Almost like they know.

Yeah, that reminds me of when the Apple Watch first came out and somebody said, "yeah, when I spend a thousand dollars on a watch, I buy it from the company that issues new versions every two years."
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote:
mister d wrote:I'd still probably be on my 1st iPhone if it weren't for the battery life issue. Almost like they know.

Yeah, that reminds me of when the Apple Watch first came out and somebody said, "yeah, when I spend a thousand dollars on a watch, I buy it from the company that issues new versions every two years."

Pretty happy with my Apple Watch. Just sayin'.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

What's it do again? I'll wear a watch sometimes and look at it for the time, but its not necessary and more of an accessory.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote:What's it do again? I'll wear a watch sometimes and look at it for the time, but its not necessary and more of an accessory.

No, it's not necessary. But if you're committed to wearing a watch for the time (which I do and am), a $400 watch with adjustable watch faces that also tracks workouts and can display texts and alerts and whatnot on your wrist without having to dig your phone out of your pocket is nice.

But it's absolutely not necessary and it's only worth it if you already have an iPhone. I'd concede those points. $400 isn't that much money for a nice watch.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, I suppose you've all heard about the iPhone X by now. Thousand bucks. Ouch. Facial recognition instead of a home button? When I first heard of it, I thought it sounded cool, but these two tweets got me thinking about potential for abuse:
https://twitter.com/BostonJerry/status/ ... 4461768707
https://twitter.com/LadyJenPool/status/ ... 2127853568
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Didn't Apple include an easy way to switch out of Touch ID mode (just for at least one of these circumstances)? If so, I would assume that could apply to facial recognition mode, too.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I've had an iPhone 6 plus for nearly three years. It was easily the nicest phone I'd ever had and knowing my clumsiness, I decided to protect it with one of those huge Otterbox cases. It's always been bulky as shit, but I never thought about changing cases. Finally upgraded this weekend to the 7 plus and the sales guy recommended another case and it's like I'm carrying a feather now. I fucking love it. I can fit my phone in my pocket without making me limp to one side.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Giff wrote:I've had an iPhone 6 plus for nearly three years. It was easily the nicest phone I'd ever had and knowing my clumsiness, I decided to protect it with one of those huge Otterbox cases. It's always been bulky as shit, but I never thought about changing cases. Finally upgraded this weekend to the 7 plus and the sales guy recommended another case and it's like I'm carrying a feather now. I fucking love it. I can fit my phone in my pocket without making me limp to one side.

This made me laugh out loud, because it reminds me of my otherwise demure wife, whose iPhone is always sheathed in an unnecessarily bulky case that simply far exceeds the life she leads. "Jumping out of any planes today?", I once asked, quickly realizing I wanted to eat the words that left my mouth...
Noli Timere Messorem
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Still love the Google Pixel and the Google Fi service. Also loving that my cell bill is half of what it used to be (formerly on Verizon) and that I get credit for the data service I don't use. The only issue I've had so far is my screen cracked a few months ago, but it had a plastic cover on it so the crack hasn't spread and isn't a factor.

The transition from iOS to Android wasn't a problem for me, but Mrs. Sabo had some issues at first. But it's been smooth sailing after the first month or two for her.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nice! Do you have the Oreo os update? I really like it.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

govmentchedda wrote:Nice! Do you have the Oreo os update? I really like it.

Yes, I installed it a couple days ago. So far, so good. I like how Google Maps will shrink to a small map when you bring up another app, and the device restarts much faster than before. I haven't noticed any difference in battery life, though.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Yes, the map picture in picture is nice. I like the new way that notifications look as well as the small dots that let you know something new has happened within an app.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

'Member when Google made fun of Apple for not having a 3.5 mm headphone jack?

I 'member.

https://store.google.com/product/pixel_2

5" Pixel 2, 64 GB - $649
5" Pixel 2, 128 GB - $749

6" Pixel 2, 64 GB - $849
6" Pixel 2, 128 GB - $949

Yup, this Nexus 6 owner is holding out for when the prices drop. In fact, my deployment dictates that I can wait until next summer, luckily.

Edit:

If you'd like a headphone jack for your thousand dollar phone, you can get one for $45. This way you can charge your phone AND listen to music. Just like you can now!

https://store.google.com/us/product/mos ... er_charger
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Project fi fucked up last night and sent a bunch of us messages stating that they were throttling our service for too much use. Then, they sent another message stating that our SIM cards were bad. Had to type in a special code to tell the phone to only search for Sprint connections, and not TMobile, to make a call. Apparently the issue has been fixed, but it was a pain in the ass.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Going to Europe next month and trying to figure out how/if my phone will work. Have a Google Nexus 5X that's about a year and a half old, with TMobile service. I've traveled to Europe before, but honestly forgot how this all works. So, the basic questions are:

1. Will my phone work there?
2. If the answer to #1 is "Maybe," how can I find out for sure?
3. What are my options if it won't work?

I've looked around online, but everything is a labyrinthine and often contradictory mess.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I hate doing it as much as you do I'm sure, but you probably just need to call TMobile.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, call your provider. Separately, also alert your credit card company.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Or...

https://gsmarena.com/lg_nexus_5x-7556.php

https://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html

In Germany with my Google Nexus 5 I had 3G+ but not LTE because I had an American phone that didn't recognize the LTE band.

In Qatar with my Nexus 6 I have LTE because the LTE bands are the same with America.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Switch to project fi and be happy with yourself. I know that works all over the place.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:24 am Going to Europe next month and trying to figure out how/if my phone will work. Have a Google Nexus 5X that's about a year and a half old, with TMobile service. I've traveled to Europe before, but honestly forgot how this all works. So, the basic questions are:

1. Will my phone work there?
2. If the answer to #1 is "Maybe," how can I find out for sure?
3. What are my options if it won't work?

I've looked around online, but everything is a labyrinthine and often contradictory mess.

Thanks in advance for any help.
As others have said, call your provider.

I just ran a compatibility check on my own iPhone (Verizon) for a trip through Europe. I'm covered. The Google Nexus 5 though...Not sure. I wasn't given the option to select it (just the 6 and 7 - and they are covered). Your phone will be 3 years old in September, btw...
Noli Timere Messorem
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:17 am Switch to project fi and be happy with yourself. I know that works all over the place.
I haven't traveled overseas since I switched to Google Fi, but I love it. Zero complaints about the service, and the price is tremendous.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I've been overseas three times with it, and it worked like a charm everywhere. (London, Edinburgh, Copenhagen, Barcelona). It's seamless.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I've been looking for a new cell phone plan. Been with AT&T since 1999 and I'm sick of their service and ever escalating bill prices. I literally got rid of normal texting to save $20 a month and I'm still playing $76 a month after military discount. I was happy I could put my cell phone bill on military hold while deployed.

Plus, it appears I can keep my phone number (personal lifelong challenge) and it works with my Nexus 6 that I plan on eventually replacing when the new Pixel comes out in October.

So for $80 plus taxes I can have it all, it appears. This will be a go once I'm back. I swear I looked at this before and it was expensive as fuck because I tend to use a lot of data when I'm not around WiFi and bill protection didn't exist. But hey, this will do.

Edit:

And when I do...
The Project Fi referral program rewards Project Fi users for sharing Project Fi with their friends.

Project Fi users can earn and share Project Fi service credits with up to 10 referrals. Both new and existing members will earn the $20 service credits applied to their next bill once the new member has been active for 30 days.

Any Project Fi member can make a referral.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Are you talking about Project Fi? They recently introduced billing caps on data. My wife and I share a plan, and they stop charging extra after 10 GB/mo combined, and once we hit 20GB/mo they start to throttle data service. However, they tell you when they're going to throttle, and allow you to pay for more, if you'd like, and avoid the throttling. That being said, we never get to 20 GB/mo. Also, their service tends to go to Wifi more than I ever recall Apple doing, and that saves minutes and data as well. I really couldn't be happier with them.

I think I gave Sabo a link that saved both of us $20 when he signed up. Hit up either of us when you make the move for that discount.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

You know what? I think I'm talking about Ting because of the similarity. So I'm probably wrong.

And I'll definitely hit you up when I'm back stateside. Thanks.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Just when I thought Project Fi was going to happen, here comes T-Mobile with an RKO outta nowhere.

T-Mobile supports the troops.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Well, it's looking like the Pixel 3XL is going to cost too much and not have a headphone jack.

So today I bought the white with rose gold accented OnePlus 6 for what is probably near half the price.

I just wish the damn thing had front facing speakers like my Nexus 6. But oh well. Worth the upgrade anyhow.

And I didn't switch from AT&T just yet, but I still have the option to migrate to T Mobile if I'm feeling froggy. I had enough going on this last month that it was the furthest thing from my mind until now.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I haven’t missed the headphone jack at all.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:50 pm I haven’t missed the headphone jack at all.
I have an old Tahoe with shit Bluetooth, so I miss it in there.