Same band different venue

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Same band different venue

Post by govmentchedda »

Didn't want to threadjack in the Gord Downie thread, but brian's comment about seeing the same band in a club and a stadium got me thinking about my concert history.

What bands have you seen in tiny venues as well as large ones?

I saw the White Stripes in 2001 on campus at FSU in a club that can't hold more than 200 people at most, and also saw the Raconteurs at the Citrus Bowl. That doesn't really count, I guess, as only Jack White was playing at both.

I saw At the Drive In in Prague at a place that probably only held 50 people, with no riser stage, and in front of thousands last year in Atlanta at Shaky Knees.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: Same band different venue

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Dave Matthews Band
Small- Basement of Phi Kap Fraternity on my lacrosse recruiting trip to W&L
Medium/Small - VA Horse Center (with Rusted Root)
Large- Jiffy Lube Live
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Big Head Todd & The Monsters

Small with 10 other people in the basement of the SUB at UNM
Big Red Rocks

Phish

Nectars with ~100 people
The Lemonwheel with ~150000
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Ryan Adams/Whiskeytown
Bottom of the Hill (tiny SF bar) 1996
Slim's (bar) 1998
Fillmore SF 2001
Greek Theatre Berkeley 2017

Wilco
Slim's (bar) 1996
Shoreline Amphitheatre 2011?

Cheap Trick
Regis College (Denver) gymnasium 1977
McNichols Arena (where the Nuggets played) 1979

I also saw Fleetwood Mac, ZZ Top, and the Pretenders in very small venues. But, never saw them in the huge ones they played.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

yeah Hip for me as well (Middle East downstairs club, Cambridge MA '92. probably 200 ppl?) although a cool one was that I was in a band and we opened up for Barenaked Ladies at Brockport University (Rochester NY) in I think '94. A few years later I saw them at whatever the Sabres' arena was called at the time. My band was ... not the opening act. :D
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Saw the White Stripes at the Lager House in Corktown, Detroit. Steps away from the ruins of Tiger Stadium. Pretty much the most dilapidated bar you can possible imagine. There were probably 100 people in there. Never did see them in a huge arena though.

But can say I saw them play in what would later be renamed the Jack White Theater in the building I would one day be married in.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

THE CLASH
800 seat theatre in downtown Toronto. (The Rex)
3,200 seat theatre in Toronto. (O'Keefe - now the Sony - Centre)
25,000 seat stadium (Exhibition Stadium)

TALKING HEADS
30,000 people at an outdoor festival in Toronto
15,000 at Kingswood outdoor theatre at Canada's Wonderland
4,000 gym at Plattsburgh State.

ELVIS COSTELLO
O'Keefe Centre
Maple Leaf Gardens (half arena) 9,000

TRAGICALLY HIP
Some bar near the Buffalo airport (it was a St. Catherines radio station promotion)
Buffalo State Stadium - 20,000
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I guess I need to see more concerts.

Anyway, my first concert was Judas Priest, in 1982, at Alpine Valley outside of Chicago.

Then in 2014 I took my son to his first concert, Judas Priest, in the Maverik Center in Salt Lake. It wasn't exactly a small venue, but it was nearly empty.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt wrote:4,000 gym at Plattsburgh State.

Sept 30 1983

ELP played there in 76....and a big portion of Frampton Comes Alive was recorded in Plattsburgh (at the Crete Centre, not on PSUC campus.)

(I grew up 45 minutes from there, it was the closest "city." My mom went to PSUC, as did I for a semester.)
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rush2112 wrote:
Pruitt wrote:4,000 gym at Plattsburgh State.

Sept 30 1983

ELP played there in 76....and a big portion of Frampton Comes Alive was recorded in Plattsburgh (at the Crete Centre, not on PSUC campus.)

(I grew up 45 minutes from there, it was the closest "city." My mom went to PSUC, as did I for a semester.)

That show was the same tour - the "Stop making Sense" one - that had packed the outdoor theatre in Toronto. The Toronto show was the greatest concert I have ever seen. My favourite band, a crowd that was into every note, three encores, a show for the ages.

Then like a month later, we road tripped down from school in Montreal to that gym. It was pretty much just a night out for the students. They came alive for the few songs they'd heard on the radio and started leaving before the end of the show. A single encore and I think the band was on the highway ten minutes after the show.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Rush2112 wrote:Big Head Todd & The Monsters

Small with 10 other people in the basement of the SUB at UNM
Big Red Rocks

Phish

Nectars with ~100 people
The Lemonwheel with ~150000

I've seen Phish at the Ritz Theater in Tampa and at Boatyard Village in Clearwater, The Edge in Orlando - each of which likely didn't surpass 1000 (or in some instances anywhere near it)...Most was likely Great Went where I think it was like 75k. I'm pretty sure Lemonwheel was a shade south in attendance compared to the Great Went. More like 65k?

Other bands hmm...I saw White Denim in front of a couple hundred people at the Ottobar, and play in front of several thousand at both Lock-n and Bonnaroo (2012). I saw Queens of the Stone Age play in front of something like 30k at one of the stages at ACL back in '07, and then later that night I saw them in front of maybe 150 people at La Zona Rosa for an after-show set full of rarities. I'm certain there are others, but those are what immediately jump to mind.
Noli Timere Messorem
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

EnochRoot wrote:I'm pretty sure Lemonwheel was a shade south in attendance compared to the Great Went. More like 65k?

Maybe I'm thinking of the Clifford Ball that was that big.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I feel like a kid again, making lists like this:

The performer that I saw the most times was blues great Albert Collins (5 times) - four times in bars/clubs and once in a small outdoor blues festival.

3 Timers:
Talking Heads
Clash
The Stranglers
King Sunny Ade
Luther Allison
Son Seals
Neil Young
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Interesting thread. I'm deeply envious of some of those shows in front of tiny audiences.

My best experience in wildly contrasting venues is Bonnie Raitt. In the late 70s I saw her play a benefit in the small Northern California town of Ukiah, where she had lived for some time in her youth (and owned a cabin in the hills). I was seated in the bleachers at the high school football field along with perhaps 300 others. Among them was the mother of the other featured musician, Holly Near, who sat next to me. Also there was Bonnie's brother David, who I knew from carpentry and jamming-at-parties circles. I think he was on stage playing bass behind his sister. A real locals-only scene. As I recall this was a low period in Bonnie Raitt's commercial music history.

A few years later I saw her play on an outdoor stage somewhere in downtown San Francisco in a "No Nukes" concert. 50,000 people on the streets? 100,000? Who was to say. Flowers in our hair. Power to the people, man.

This video clip (below, not actually of the Youngbloods) was not that particular concert. It looks like NYC in the background. But probably the same rough set of musicians doing a No Nukes benefit around the same time. Same crowd scene. Smile on your brother. Fully prepared to change the world. What a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WybIhLJjlTY
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Drawing a blank here but...

Roger Waters at the Gorge Amphitheater doing his solo thing and then 8 years later saw him do The Wall at the Tacoma Dome.

Sigur Rós at Edgefield (brewery estate in PDX) about 6 years ago with the full lineup and then last year as a 3-some at Ellie Caulkins Opera house. Similar with Wilco.

Jealous of everyone that got to see White Stripes before they blew up.