Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by Pruitt »

Jerloma wrote:Is there some kind of etiquette against wearing Harley shit if you don't have a Harley?

Must be the same elsewhere, but the number of guys I see wearing ferrari crap is incredible. I'll stereotype here and say that the majority seem to be Mediterranean types.

I do enjoy seeing stickers with the ferrari logo on pickup trucks, 15 year old Aztecs and various and sundry other vehicles that were most definitely not hand crafted in Modena.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

People like mister d and san carlos are why people like Trump brag about going to Penn.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:Is there some kind of etiquette against wearing Harley shit if you don't have a Harley?

Stolen Valor!

When I visited Stanford's campus, I bought a Stanford Soccer t-shirt for my daughter. Do I need to burn it now?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Or go to Stanford
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Sabo wrote:
sancarlos wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:
Johnnie wrote:This morning I was pulled over for neglecting a stop sign

This and the lack of turn signal usage are New Mexican as green chile. I didn't know that APD even knew to look for such things.

Co-sign. That reminds me. I'll be driving in New Mexico in December, so I ought to make sure my will is updated.

Wise choice. Can honestly say Albuquerque has the worst drivers I've ever seen.

It was a 4 way stop in the VA/377 Medical Group parking lot right outside of base. My guess is someone complained and a local police officer was detailed there to SERVE AND PROTECT.

Still, New Mexico does have the worst drivers ever. If alone for the fact that at least 2 cars can fly through intersections when the light turned red and the commonplace action is for the green light drivers to wait so they don't get T-boned. I was in South Carolina last week and this phenomenon doesn't happen. I've been back and forth to Arizona multiple times and it doesn't happen there either. I've never seen it anywhere but here.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I never attended school at the University of Arizona, but multiple volunteer things with them plus having season tickets to football made me change my allegiance from no team to them. So I bought gear and stuff to support them.

And now I live in Lobo territory, but I'm not switching.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I swear to fucking god I hate worthless meetings and chats more than anything in this world.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

my favorite hooded sweatshirt is a Mercedes F1 zip up and I drive a VW

my favorite workout shirts are long sleeve under armour shirts that say Florida State across the front

I wear a Red Sox hat fairly often with matching clothing simply because of the B

my favorite hat is a NASCAR hat of a beer I don't drink

who wants to fight
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Brontoburglar wrote:I wear a Red Sox hat fairly often with matching clothing simply because of the B

Well that and you are like every other chick in Boston and it is one of those pink ones.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Sabo wrote:Wise choice. Can honestly say Albuquerque has the worst drivers I've ever seen.

I had to retake my driving test when I lived in NM. The "test" was driving a half block on a secondary street, right turn onto a similar street, then up two alleys (without traffic) back to the DMV. This was when I was ~25 and had let my license expire. I thought it was made easier due to my age, my buddy said he took the exact same test when he got his at 17.

Also, love that you can get 24 insurance so you're insured at the time of the test then let lapse when you're out on the road for real!
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Brontoburglar wrote:who wants to fight

Probably a bunch of brand reps.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:I wear a Red Sox hat fairly often with matching clothing simply because of the B

Well that and you are like every other chick in Boston and it is one of those pink ones.

the 15 Royals hats make up for it

my hat obsession may be worse than my shoe obsession, and that's saying something. I once had a goal about 12 years ago of having the hat of every major league team... I think I've got about 17 or so.

ETA because I have to count now...

KC
Min
Det

TB
Bos
Balt
Tor

Oak
Ana
Hou
Sea

Mil

NYM
Phi
Wash

Ari
SF

shit I was right. that's scary.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Alright you guys win. Next Swamp meetup, you’ll be able to recognize me - I’ll be the guy in the Harvard shirt and Harley-Davidson cap.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I wear Cubs gear but I've never been on the Cubs.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A couple things on ESPN's ticker...

1. How much do we think NHL is paying ESPN to note that all of these games are on NHL.tv on the ticker, just as ESPN does when pointing out a sporting event is on one of their affiliated networks, like ESPNU or ABC?

2. It drives me batty that the "score alert" adds the touchdown, then the extra point separately with a two- or three-second gap between (the score will change from 0 to 6, then a couple seconds later to 7). In baseball, for example, they just add the runs all at once, so if someone hits a three-run double, the score jumps from 0 to 3 instead of going 0... 1... 2... 3 as each run "scores". It's not like they're waiting for the extra point to be kicked, either, with a 60-90 second lapse between. I know I'm insane, but I find this maddening. Just add 6, 7, or 8 at one time, whatever the score is.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

DSafetyGuy wrote:A couple things on ESPN's ticker...

1. How much do we think NHL is paying ESPN to note that all of these games are on NHL.tv on the ticker, just as ESPN does when pointing out a sporting event is on one of their affiliated networks, like ESPNU or ABC?

2. It drives me batty that the "score alert" adds the touchdown, then the extra point separately with a two- or three-second gap between (the score will change from 0 to 6, then a couple seconds later to 7). In baseball, for example, they just add the runs all at once, so if someone hits a three-run double, the score jumps from 0 to 3 instead of going 0... 1... 2... 3 as each run "scores". It's not like they're waiting for the extra point to be kicked, either, with a 60-90 second lapse between. I know I'm insane, but I find this maddening. Just add 6, 7, or 8 at one time, whatever the score is.

So much yes on #2.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Giff wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:A couple things on ESPN's ticker...

So much yes on #2.

And they can just ride out their stupid score alert for this season and change it in the offseason, when there is 6+ months for everyone to forget about how stupidly it operates now.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DSafetyGuy wrote:2. It drives me batty that the "score alert" adds the touchdown, then the extra point separately with a two- or three-second gap between (the score will change from 0 to 6, then a couple seconds later to 7). In baseball, for example, they just add the runs all at once, so if someone hits a three-run double, the score jumps from 0 to 3 instead of going 0... 1... 2... 3 as each run "scores". It's not like they're waiting for the extra point to be kicked, either, with a 60-90 second lapse between. I know I'm insane, but I find this maddening. Just add 6, 7, or 8 at one time, whatever the score is.

I dunno - doing it that way lets you know whether the score includes the extra point. On a three-run double, all runs score on the same play, so of course they are added at the same time. With a touchdown and extra point, there is some time in between. If there are penalties or injuries, it can be a couple of minutes in between.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

DSafetyGuy wrote:1. How much do we think NHL is paying ESPN to note that all of these games are on NHL.tv on the ticker, just as ESPN does when pointing out a sporting event is on one of their affiliated networks, like ESPNU or ABC?

Nothing. This is related to the BAM streaming service Disney bought into last year. That company runs MLB.tv and NHL.tv. They are trying to get people to the platform so they are familiar when they launch the multi-channel streaming service later this year (and make a few bucks in the process).
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:2. It drives me batty that the "score alert" adds the touchdown, then the extra point separately with a two- or three-second gap between (the score will change from 0 to 6, then a couple seconds later to 7). In baseball, for example, they just add the runs all at once, so if someone hits a three-run double, the score jumps from 0 to 3 instead of going 0... 1... 2... 3 as each run "scores". It's not like they're waiting for the extra point to be kicked, either, with a 60-90 second lapse between. I know I'm insane, but I find this maddening. Just add 6, 7, or 8 at one time, whatever the score is.

I dunno - doing it that way lets you know whether the score includes the extra point. On a three-run double, all runs score on the same play, so of course they are added at the same time. With a touchdown and extra point, there is some time in between. If there are penalties or injuries, it can be a couple of minutes in between.

If they add seven points at one time, what else could that mean? It also shifts after showing the change to the score to what the scoring play was, so they can tack on "XP missed" or "Brown, 22-yd TD rec; Bell, 2-pt conversion (run)" or something like that to explain the points.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Rams Fanny wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:1. How much do we think NHL is paying ESPN to note that all of these games are on NHL.tv on the ticker, just as ESPN does when pointing out a sporting event is on one of their affiliated networks, like ESPNU or ABC?

Nothing. This is related to the BAM streaming service Disney bought into last year. That company runs MLB.tv and NHL.tv. They are trying to get people to the platform so they are familiar when they launch the multi-channel streaming service later this year (and make a few bucks in the process).

This was my other thought, but even when this stuff happens, it's always paid by the advertising arm of the company to the broadcasting arm of the same company (unless there is something written into the purchase contract, driving the cash cost of the purchase lower).
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I have a WhatIfSports team right now that was the result of a pretty bad random draw and I'm 15-49 with a 2-19 record in the division, 1-7 in extra innings, and 1-15 in one-run games.

L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Fire the manager.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

L-Jam3 wrote:Fire the manager.

He changed base running aggressiveness from a 3 to a 4 this morning, so I'm giving him another few weeks

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I think that asking a wait person "how something is" on the menu prior to ordering is not only reflects a complete lack of understanding in the subjective nature of taste, but is also a symptom of much bigger problem with society. The one where people will do anything to deflect accountability so much so that they'll create a scapegoat before they even know they need one. It's victim complex 101-level shit. It's also probably why we have a sociopath in the oval office.

Anyway, I condemn it wholeheartedly.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

What if you have 2 choices and ask them their recommendation between?
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I didn't need to look at the caption to know that was J-Lo.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

When I started the Fast Food Assholes thread, I listed the person who asks "what's good?" as one of them. For a sit-down restaurant, though, I think it's different. Asking for a recommendation can be seen as just an ice-breaker to establish a rapport with the wait person.

If you use it as an excuse to complain "but Kelly said this was good!" if you don't like it, though, then yeah, you're a sociopath.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The worst thing in the world is going to a restaurant and finding out later on that you missed out on some insane menu item because you were too stupid to read or lazy to ask.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

┳┻|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻| _
┻┳| •.•) Team Jerl
┳┻|⊂ノ
┻┳|

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I don't know what that is but it's awesome.

Ehhh...no. If you end up not liking it, even if you don't blame the waiter, at some point you're going to end up thinking, "I shouldn't have asked the waiter." At this point, you become a dick.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Staff's knowledge of what goes into the food > my knowledge of what goes into the food. Just playing the odds.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

P.D.X. wrote:Staff's knowledge of what goes into the food > my knowledge of what goes into the food. Just playing the odds.

Oh, that's different. Telling someone what is in a particular dish is just a presentation of facts, and thus the waiter cannot be held accountable. Asking a waiter what tastes better is what I'm talking about. "How's the veal saltimbocca" is not the same as "what's in the veal saltimbocca."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Asking "what's in the veal saltimbocca" is infinitely weirder than asking "how's the veal saltimbocca".
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I find that the experienced waiters often tell you which item is most popular.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:Asking "what's in the veal saltimbocca" is infinitely weirder than asking "how's the veal saltimbocca".

I once asked what 'confit' meant and I don't feel bad about it at all.

I ended up ordering it and it was excellent.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I was reading it as J-Lo knowing what the dish is but just asking for the ingredients that place specifically uses. Like "what do you put in your meatloaf" kinda weird.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Pruitt wrote:I find that the experienced waiters often tell you which item is most popular.

or most expensive.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote:I don't know what that is but it's awesome.

Ehhh...no. If you end up not liking it, even if you don't blame the waiter, at some point you're going to end up thinking, "I shouldn't have asked the waiter." At this point, you become a dick.

Disagree. Like someone else said, only a sociopath would actually do this. If I'm indecisive enough to ask the waiter their opinion on what the most popular dishes are or what their favorites are and I end up not liking their suggestion, that's totally on me. Presumably there were other, safer options on the menu that I know I would have been happy with but I wanted to try something different.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Jerloma wrote:
P.D.X. wrote:Staff's knowledge of what goes into the food > my knowledge of what goes into the food. Just playing the odds.

Oh, that's different. Telling someone what is in a particular dish is just a presentation of facts, and thus the waiter cannot be held accountable. Asking a waiter what tastes better is what I'm talking about. "How's the veal saltimbocca" is not the same as "what's in the veal saltimbocca."

"What goes into the food" implies more than just ingredients.