The National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum MMXV

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: The National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum MMXV

Post by A_B »

I think the writers picking and choosing who were clean is bullshit. I get the 10 vote limit because you can't just let them go all Willy nilly. I guess because of the steroid era there's just a lot of people now coming on he ballot whose numbers warrant consideration. I agree posada probably shouldn't have fallen off on one ballot. And he likely wouldn't have if they hadn't culled all he people who no longer cover baseball.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Bert Blyleven had 14% in his second season. That doesn't mean that Posada would have had a similar progression or that he belongs in, but it shows how much can happen over time. You never know how priorities change, future generations may place a higher value on peeing on ones hands than we do.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I've softened since my first comment about him being a yankee. He wasn't a lock of course but yeah, he should have gotten a few years.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Trying for the Friday night news dump there, AB?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:Trying for the Friday night news dump there, AB?

I'll stand by it Monday. Reflection and all that.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I think the 10-vote limit is what hurt Posada much more directly than anything else. I think he deserved serious consideration but I don't see how anyone could rank him in the top-10 this year. The only way you could is if you did pick and choose who was clean, and left nearly all of Bonds, Clemens, Manny, Sheffield, Bagwell and Pudge off your ballot. I guess voters could have made tactical votes to keep him on the ballot but I doubt more than a handful of HOF voters do that.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The problem with the 10 vote rule is that it doesn't quite fit when a scenario arises where the toilet's jammed with PED floaters. Bonds, Clemens, McGwire yadda yadda should've flushed years ago, which would allow for the proper digestion of Posada's candidacy, and then his proper circling of the bowl would occur.

Analogy aside, Posada's not a hall of famer. However, there's a few HOFers in his comp list, which suggests he should've stayed on the ballot a few to several years.
Noli Timere Messorem
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Of the non-banned and non-PEDS suspected players who are eligible but not in the HOF, here are the eleven, in rough order, who I think are most deserving. Who am I missing?

Curt Schilling
Lou Whitaker
Alan Trammell
Minnie Minoso
Bobby Grich
Larry Walker
Mike Mussina
Dick Allen
Dwight Evans
Gary Sheffield
Graig Nettles
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sheffield is very "PED suspected".
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

McGwire going to the hall...in cartoon form.
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... -1.2978760

25 years...I'm old
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

DC47 wrote:Of the non-banned and non-PEDS suspected players who are eligible but not in the HOF, here are the eleven, in rough order, who I think are most deserving. Who am I missing?

Curt Schilling
Lou Whitaker
Alan Trammell
Minnie Minoso
Bobby Grich
Larry Walker
Mike Mussina
Dick Allen
Dwight Evans
Gary Sheffield
Graig Nettles
steve finley
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

TT2.0 wrote:
DC47 wrote:Of the non-banned and non-PEDS suspected players who are eligible but not in the HOF, here are the eleven, in rough order, who I think are most deserving. Who am I missing?

Curt Schilling
Lou Whitaker
Alan Trammell
Minnie Minoso
Bobby Grich
Larry Walker
Mike Mussina
Dick Allen
Dwight Evans
Gary Sheffield
Graig Nettles
steve finley
Ken Caminiti
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

mister d wrote:Sheffield is very "PED suspected".
He openly described his said-to-be unwitting steroid use when living and training with Barry Bonds during part of one winter. That was a pretty short period of time. There's no evidence or even rumors I've heard that link him to PED's beyond that. I'd be glad to see information to the contrary.

I'm a big Sheffield fan. So perhaps it's just my bias. But I'd distinguish between short-term use and long-term use.
Last edited by DC47 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Finley is a bit of a stretch. Perhaps you're joking?

Caminiti is perhaps the saddest PED's case in baseball history. He'll go in to the PED's Hall of Fame in the first year's class, along with Canseco and Lance Armstrong.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

DC47 wrote:Finley is a bit of a stretch. Perhaps you're joking?

Caminiti is perhaps the saddest PED's case in baseball history. He'll go in to the PED's Hall of Fame in the first year's class, along with Canseco and Lance Armstrong.
sadly im not. my alltime favorite player. i wish i could make a coherent case for him...but he should be there damnit
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DC47 wrote:Caminiti is perhaps the saddest PED's case in baseball history. He'll go in to the PED's Hall of Fame in the first year's class, along with Canseco and Lance Armstrong.
I will always associate Caminiti in my mind with this paragraph:
Sports Illustrated wrote:He told SI that he used steroids so heavily in '96 that by the end of that season, his testicles shrank and retracted; doctors found that his body had virtually stopped producing its own testosterone and that his level of the hormone had fallen to 20% of normal. "It took four months to get my nuts to drop on their own," he said of the period after he stopped taking the drugs.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I was at a Padres game where they honored Caminiti's family and did a video retrospective that treated him as a tragic hero while trying to avoid a suggestion he had done anything wrong. Really, really awkward.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

DC47 wrote:
mister d wrote:Sheffield is very "PED suspected".
He openly described his said-to-be unwitting steroid use when living and training with Barry Bonds during part of one winter. That was a pretty short period of time.
Sure, and Pettitte only used that one time to come back from injury because he cared about not letting down the team so much. Beyond a failed test, its pointless to try to assess guilt and/or degrees of guilt, especially using the own players' words.

(And I have Sheffield either in or my last man out. His comp to Edgar Martinez makes me really uncomfortable.)
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I don't think Sheffield failed a test, was named by Canseco, was in the Mitchell report or was otherwise incriminated for PEDs use. Nothing beyond his own statement, as above. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think Sheffield and Edgar Martinez are reasonable comps. I put them in the same category as hitters, and give a slight edge to Sheffield in the field and on the bases. I think Dick Allen is in the same place. All are marginal HOF votes in my view. But of course, that means there are many roughly similar players who have been elected -- even recently -- to the Hall who are clearly inferior. Jim Rice comes immediately to mind.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

2018 ballot is out so I can start getting very upset: https://bbwaa.com/18-hof-ballot-release/
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Fenway Park turned Jim Rice from a below average outfielder with decent pop into a below average outfielder who is in the Hall of Fame.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Another year with atleast 11 I'm full yes on ...

VOTE YES:
Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Vladimir Guerrero
Andruw Jones
Mike Mussina
Manny Ramirez
Scott Rolen
Curt Schilling
Gary Sheffield
Larry Walker

STRATEGIC NO VOTES:
Chipper Jones (should be noted last year my strategic no was Vlad and he missed so I would have felt like a total dick explaining my logic)

STILL INTERNALLY DEBATING:
Edgar Martinez (clearly a great hitter, but would I really start a team with him over one of the 11 above?)
Johan Santana (I believe there are some interesting comps to Koufax and there maybe needs to be some mechanism for massive peak + injury guys)
Jim Thome (I've somehow never considered Thome before so I should probably start ... I imagine he gets in)

GUYS WHO WILL GET >1 VOTE THAT I WOULDN'T VOTE FOR BUT ALSO WON'T FLIP OUT OVER:
Chris Carpenter
Jeff Kent
Fred McGriff
Sammy Sosa
Billy Wagner

GUYS WHO WILL GET >1 VOTE THAT I WOULDN'T VOTE FOR AND LIKELY WILL FLIP OUT OVER:
Trevor Hoffman
Omar Vizquel (this one is going to get super annoying)

WILL HAVE A PREPOSTEROUS ATTENTION TO HALL WORTHINESS RATIO AND WILL APPEAR ON FALLON:
Johnny Damon

I'M SURE ITS NICE TO BE ON THE BALLOT:
Livan Hernandez
Orlando Hudson
Jason Isringhausen
Carlos Lee
Brad Lidge
Hideki Matsui
Kevin Millwood
Jamie Moyer
Kerry Wood
Carlos Zambrano

FUCK OFF:
Aubrey Huff
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

mister d wrote:2018 ballot is out so I can start getting very upset: https://bbwaa.com/18-hof-ballot-release/

We are now squarely in the zone where you can build an entire my-generation-all-star-team out of just the guys who are on the ballot for the first time. My ten:

Bonds
Clemens
Guerrero
Chipper
Edgar
Mussina
Manny
Sosa
Thome
Walker

There should also be an entire room with a wraparound 3D video of The Kerry Wood Game
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Moyer will get at least one "I know he's not really a Hall of Famer, but I really liked him" vote from some Baby Boomer writer, book it.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnny Carwash wrote:Moyer will get at least one "I know he's not really a Hall of Famer, but I really liked him" vote from some Baby Boomer writer, book it.

Yup, which sucks because those are fine when the ballot doesn't go like 15 worthy players deep. Every niceness vote takes away from a guy who really should be making it.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

i usually see things pretty closely aligned with you - i think the only modification i'd make is Edgar over Vlad, not so much against Vlad but I'm pretty vocally pro-Edgar. I was always frosted that he didn't get a proper start until he was what, 27 or 28? The DH "penalty" I think plays pretty heavily here.

Johan Santana was for a time my favourite player in baseball after Pedro retired immediately after game 3 of the 2004 World Series and was never seen on a mound again so I like the hmmm value there but I just can't get behind it for too long...maybe I'm over(under?)compensating for my Johan-love.

I'd give Jeff Kent more love than a 1 vote. Poor Aubrey Huff :D

mister d wrote:Another year with atleast 11 I'm full yes on ...

VOTE YES:
Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Vladimir Guerrero
Andruw Jones
Mike Mussina
Manny Ramirez
Scott Rolen
Curt Schilling
Gary Sheffield
Larry Walker

STRATEGIC NO VOTES:
Chipper Jones (should be noted last year my strategic no was Vlad and he missed so I would have felt like a total dick explaining my logic)

STILL INTERNALLY DEBATING:
Edgar Martinez (clearly a great hitter, but would I really start a team with him over one of the 11 above?)
Johan Santana (I believe there are some interesting comps to Koufax and there maybe needs to be some mechanism for massive peak + injury guys)
Jim Thome (I've somehow never considered Thome before so I should probably start ... I imagine he gets in)

GUYS WHO WILL GET >1 VOTE THAT I WOULDN'T VOTE FOR BUT ALSO WON'T FLIP OUT OVER:
Chris Carpenter
Jeff Kent
Fred McGriff
Sammy Sosa
Billy Wagner

GUYS WHO WILL GET >1 VOTE THAT I WOULDN'T VOTE FOR AND LIKELY WILL FLIP OUT OVER:
Trevor Hoffman
Omar Vizquel (this one is going to get super annoying)

WILL HAVE A PREPOSTEROUS ATTENTION TO HALL WORTHINESS RATIO AND WILL APPEAR ON FALLON:
Johnny Damon

I'M SURE ITS NICE TO BE ON THE BALLOT:
Livan Hernandez
Orlando Hudson
Jason Isringhausen
Carlos Lee
Brad Lidge
Hideki Matsui
Kevin Millwood
Jamie Moyer
Kerry Wood
Carlos Zambrano

FUCK OFF:
Aubrey Huff
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don't necessarily have an issue with Edgar over Vlad, but I'm pretty certain if I were starting up an AL franchise I'd pick Vlad without much hesitation.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

And while I've done this before, its still worth posting. Larry Walker was a .282/.372/.500 hitter outside of Coors and really, really good outfielder. I wouldn't really mind an argument that he was better in sum than Vlad.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

always thought as such. Plus he's Canadian so he's got another big+
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Should have been Trammell and Whitaker but at least they rectified the insanity of not inducting Trammell.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

brian wrote:Should have been Trammell and Whitaker but at least they rectified the insanity of not inducting Trammell.

long overdue

one of the best 2B/SS combos I ever saw play
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So Whitaker helps get Morris in while not being able to get in himself.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

what the living fuck is the MODERN ERA BALLOT

i can't even.

glad for Trammell, should've been in eons ago but fuck. Jack Morris is in the gd Hall. Dave motherfucking Stieb should be crying himself to sleep on his huge Tesla pillow.

(n.b. i don't think Stieb should be anywhere close either but)
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

MaxWebster wrote:what the living fuck is the MODERN ERA BALLOT

Something that was created for exactly this purpose, it would appear.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Trammell election removes the top player from my "should be in HOF" list. Whitaker is in the top five.

As much as I liked watching him win for the Tigers, Jack Morris wasn't on that list. I suspect one World Series game move him way up, and just enough to make it. I certainly count the post-season. Even over-weight it. But Morris still didn't do enough to be in the HOF. And this assumes the too-low standards that have been applied in recent years. He's right there with Dawson and Rice as recent inductees who shouldn't have been.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Now at the top of my "should be in the HOF list: Marvin Miller.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I'd go as far as to say that Jack Morris is now the least deserving pitcher in Cooperstown, blowing past the pitchers the Yankees managed to throw in there like Lefty Gomez and Herb Pennock who collected rings primarily due to pitching for gaudy offenses.

I mean, yeah, he is 50th all time in innings pitched, but that 105 ERA+.

Oof.

As for Marvin Miller not being in the Hall of Fame? It basically renders the entity irrelevant.
Noli Timere Messorem
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote:Should have been Trammell and Whitaker but at least they rectified the insanity of not inducting Trammell.

Yep. I am now debating the merits of a 90-minute car ride next summer.

And on Marvin Miller...

https://twitter.com/KeithOlbermann/stat ... 3197285376
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »