MLS 2017

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: MLS 2017

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I was hoping PDX might have more insight, because this is a head scratcher to me.

I've "followed" him since he ran the Akron program and actually thought he might get a shot at the national team at some point. I'm wondering if that's what is going on here... But I can't imagine there's anything that can be promised to anyone given the situation with the upcoming USSF elections.

Sasho ain't going nowhere, dude. One bad run (they couldn't score down the stretch, rather inexplicably) doesn't put him on the hot-seat. And again, you've got a weird situation with an Acting AD... No way leadership touches that guy with everything else going on. I also put that as a step-down. Recruiting is only getting harder as more roads open for them to play in MLS.

What do you mean about Olsen? My impression is that the club has basically been treading water until they got into the new venue. At that point they were going to start spending real money on talent acquisition. Do you think he's just a placeholder, too? Seems pretty cruel to cut him loose after all these years of cobbling together a team without much of a budget.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The KC USL team's coach left by "mutual decision" today and it's pretty clear he got a better gig. So.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Nonlinear FC wrote:I was hoping PDX might have more insight, because this is a head scratcher to me.

Honestly there isn't much to go on. There's rumors of a power struggle with the GM, Gavin Wilkinson, but I don't put much stock in them. CP by all accounts has a good relationship with the Paulsens, and I can't imagine they'd let a talent like him leave over a much more replaceable GM (albeit one with a long {and sometime controversial} history with the club). He also had a good core of players that would/will undoubtably compete for hardware next season, and an environment that's pretty desirable for a lot of prospective players. So yeah, scratching myself over here as well.

There's been rumors about him taking the reigns at FC Cinci, but that seems pretty unlikely with them still being a huge "?" and even then being an entire season out from league play.

A few noteworthy details:

- CP never hired his own assistants or staff. They were all holdovers from the previous coach and assembled by Wilkinson. So either he was fine with them or wasn't allowed to replace them. The latter theory being fuel for the anti-Wilkinson crowd.

- The head trainer was fired mid-season, and the rest of the staff looks to be replaced after a very injurious season. Several players either recovered too slowly or were rushed back and re-injured. Which leads to...

- Fanendo Adi looked to have a mild hamstring strain mid-season, was given a few weeks to recover, and then just disappeared. CP gave lip service to some rehab "setbacks" for a bit and then finally (and angrily) told the press he wouldn't be answering anymore questions about him. This wouldn't be a huge thing normally but when it's one of your club's DP's, the top scorer over the last few seasons, and most valuable asset from a transfer standpoint, it does raise some eyebrows.

That's all I got.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Maybe he just hates bikes and good beer.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

P.D.X. wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:I was hoping PDX might have more insight, because this is a head scratcher to me.

Honestly there isn't much to go on. There's rumors of a power struggle with the GM, Gavin Wilkinson, but I don't put much stock in them. CP by all accounts has a good relationship with the Paulsens, and I can't imagine they'd let a talent like him leave over a much more replaceable GM (albeit one with a long {and sometime controversial} history with the club). He also had a good core of players that would/will undoubtably compete for hardware next season, and an environment that's pretty desirable for a lot of prospective players. So yeah, scratching myself over here as well.

There's been rumors about him taking the reigns at FC Cinci, but that seems pretty unlikely with them still being a huge "?" and even then being an entire season out from league play.

A few noteworthy details:

- CP never hired his own assistants or staff. They were all holdovers from the previous coach and assembled by Wilkinson. So either he was fine with them or wasn't allowed to replace them. The latter theory being fuel for the anti-Wilkinson crowd.

- The head trainer was fired mid-season, and the rest of the staff looks to be replaced after a very injurious season. Several players either recovered too slowly or were rushed back and re-injured. Which leads to...

- Fanendo Adi looked to have a mild hamstring strain mid-season, was given a few weeks to recover, and then just disappeared. CP gave lip service to some rehab "setbacks" for a bit and then finally (and angrily) told the press he wouldn't be answering anymore questions about him. This wouldn't be a huge thing normally but when it's one of your club's DP's, the top scorer over the last few seasons, and most valuable asset from a transfer standpoint, it does raise some eyebrows.

That's all I got.

Well, that's some good stuff for not having much to go on. Thanks!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Brontoburglar wrote:The KC USL team's coach left by "mutual decision" today and it's pretty clear he got a better gig. So.

Swoop Park lost a heart breaker over the weekend in the USL championship.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I've "followed" him since he ran the Akron program and actually thought he might get a shot at the national team at some point. I'm wondering if that's what is going on here... But I can't imagine there's anything that can be promised to anyone given the situation with the upcoming USSF elections.

Sasho ain't going nowhere, dude. One bad run (they couldn't score down the stretch, rather inexplicably) doesn't put him on the hot-seat. And again, you've got a weird situation with an Acting AD... No way leadership touches that guy with everything else going on. I also put that as a step-down. Recruiting is only getting harder as more roads open for them to play in MLS.

What do you mean about Olsen? My impression is that the club has basically been treading water until they got into the new venue. At that point they were going to start spending real money on talent acquisition. Do you think he's just a placeholder, too? Seems pretty cruel to cut him loose after all these years of cobbling together a team without much of a budget.

Yeah I was just trolling a bit on the Maryland job. It is a GREAT NCAA soccer coaching setup. There was some talk before that Sasho was getting antsy. His name came up for MLS jobs a few times, but he seems to have found some ways to keep fresh by doing TV color for DC and focused on getting a really nice soccer stadium in College Park (one of the few teams that probably has a culture that would fill it up).

As for Olsen. I know the DC leadership has given him nothing. But you also have to look at his teams just not performing over the last years and really looking pretty disinterested. The roster is a big reason and next season he will have cover of being on the road for the first half of the season....but if you are putting $ into the roster now, I bet the team starts looking at other places they can upgrade. And Olsen's contract requires that if he gets canned he gets another job with the team, so he has a nice landing. I am an Olsen fan but we see bigger named MLS coaches get run out of the joint with better records.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I don't really disagree with any of that, I just don't think they run him out mid-season for the very reasons you bring up. I'd say he gets a pass next year, but if the team isn't performing and showing signs of life by the end of next year... Being in that new stadium?

Gone.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Some deeper analysis/speculation coming out now on Porter.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/11/ ... ign=unpaid
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

That touched on one thing I forgot to mention. PTFC's development program sucks, and that's a critical component to maintaining any sort of continued success in MLS. Especially with the league getting bigger now and more competition for talent. Doyle is correct in that we only have a 1-2 year window left with our current core. It's not really reasonable to expect that the development program can be turned around quick enough to produce heirs by then, or to think that we can just transfer guys in like Chara and Valeri. League is so much different now than it was 6 years ago. CP may be seeing the writing on the wall.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

And one last Dr. Chuck bump.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Egyptian international Omar Gaber will be playing for Bob Bradley in LA. Loan deal with a right to buy.
b.t.w.
"KingFut" is an outstanding name for an Egyptian Soccer site.
https://www.kingfut.com/2017/11/18/excl ... ading-mls/
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Toronto FC heavy underdogs tonight. That's what'll happen when your two goal scorers are suspended.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

0-0 for soon-to-be Austin and Toronto (without the 2 DPs)...oh and Bradley makes 6.5 Million a year. The Crew's total payroll is 6.74

Seattle 2-0 against Houston.

Looks like we may get a rematch from last year.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

wlu_lax6 wrote:0-0 for soon-to-be Austin and Toronto (without the 2 DPs)...oh and Bradley makes 6.5 Million a year. The Crew's total payroll is 6.74

Seattle 2-0 against Houston.

Looks like we may get a rematch from last year.

It could have easily been 4-0 for Seattle last night. Sounders had a PK saved (why was Lodiero taking it and not Dempsey?), and then one off the cross bar in the 2nd half.

Ramon Torres picked up a cheap yellow card, which means he's out for the return leg.

And the field in Houston was a mess. Totally torn up. Lots of slips and bad touches.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Coumbus offered up 2 parks and rebuilding Mapfree and taking 50% ownership in the team (Greenbay Packer style).
http://sbisoccer.com/2017/11/report-col ... ew-stadium

Leg 2s tonight
drchuck
Jackie Treehorn

Post by drchuck »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Coumbus offered up 2 parks and rebuilding Mapfree and taking 50% ownership in the team (Greenbay Packer style).

Dude, there are a TON of people in Columbus who will take Crew SC off of Precourt's hands at a healthy profit to Precourt. And there is a significant fraction of the Columbus supporter base (myself included) who would throw coin in to have a publicly-owned Crew SC; they're the closest thing to the Green Bay Packers MLS will ever have.

Precourt isn't budging. And, it seems, MLS isn't budging alongside him. REALLY deeply suspicious that MLS really wants Austin as badly as Precourt does - and may want out of Columbus worse.

If MLS follows through, anybody who supports MLS going forward is a fool. They'll show themselves to not care about the league's history even one whit.

wlu_lax6 wrote:Leg 2s tonight

I will be mental the. entire. time.

chuck
dr. chuck, geek at large. been a long time since I croaked.
https://chuckpearson.wordpress.com, https://twitter.com/PearsonFootball
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

and the mls narrowed expansion candidate to 4. We will get 2 selected in December (Charlotte, Indianapolis, Phoenix, Raleigh/Durham, St. Louis, San Antonio, San Diego and Tampa/St. Petersburg are still in play for the next 2 after that).

Cincinnati
Carl H. Lindner III – Co-CEO of American Financial Group and Owner, Chairman and CEO of FC Cincinnati
Scott Farmer - CEO of Cintas Corporation
Detroit
Dan Gilbert – Owner of the Cleveland Cavaliers and Founder and Chairman of Quicken Loans, Inc.
Tom Gores – Owner of the Detroit Pistons and Founder, Chairman and CEO of Platinum Equity
Nashville
John Ingram – Chairman of Ingram Industries Inc. and CEO Nashville Soccer Holdings
Wilf Family – owners of the Minnesota Vikings
Turner Family – Managing Partners of MarketStreet Enterprises
Sacramento
Kevin Nagle – Managing Partner of Sac Soccer & Entertainment Holdings and Minority Owner of the Sacramento Kings
Jed York – CEO of the San Francisco Forty-Niners
Mark Friedman – President of Fulcrum Property Group and Minority Owner of the Sacramento Kings, and other limited partners.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Detroit is hamstrung by Gilbert and Gores giving up on the SSS for downtown Detroit though the truth is Ford Field would be an absolutely fantastic venue for soccer. Those of you who have been there know what I'm talking about. Since all of the luxury boxes are stacked on one side of the stadium in a historic building they saved as part of the stadium, the upper deck is right on top of the field. The farthest seat from the field is closer than the first row of the upper deck at some stadiums.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Coumbus offered up 2 parks and rebuilding Mapfree and taking 50% ownership in the team (Greenbay Packer style).

Leg 2s tonight

Tor-Columbus is tonight. Seattle-Houston is tomorrow night.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

TFC are more than just a little lucky.

That Kamara is going to be having nightmares.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
drchuck
Jackie Treehorn

Post by drchuck »

The less said about bad rubbish, the better.

Just so, so grateful for the effort that team put in to the entire season, and especially into the playoff run given the drama that surrounded it all. Toronto was the best team in the league. We made them earn their MLS Cup place.

And Zack Steffen is the future goalkeeper of the USMNT. No question.

chuck [#SaveTheCrew]
dr. chuck, geek at large. been a long time since I croaked.
https://chuckpearson.wordpress.com, https://twitter.com/PearsonFootball
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

So, how long until Berhalter is announced as the new Timbers coach?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Note in advance of tonight's game: It is pounding rain here this morning. Forecast says clearing by this evening, but I doubt it.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Can't tell you how much I hate Detroit City FC fans. Probably the shittiest fanbase in all of American soccer. Not even a joke. Just a group of a few thousand assholes that cosplay being hooligans and live to troll.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote:Can't tell you how much I hate Detroit City FC fans. Probably the shittiest fanbase in all of American soccer. Not even a joke. Just a group of a few thousand assholes that cosplay being hooligans and live to troll.

Sounds A LOT like Orlando City fans. They're way too into being hooligans and trolling.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

A Jozy cup winning goal feels imminent. I'm mentally prepared for it.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

My next prediction will be for subscribers only.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rex wrote:My next prediction will be for subscribers only.

I'll be calling your 1-800 number!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Congrats to TFC. Sounders played horrible yesterday, and Toronto deserved the win.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Yeah - Toronto played better than they had in months. Nice to see hometown boy Johnathan Osorio play so well.

The hardcore TFC fans deserve this. These lunatics never stopped going to the games - and this was a horrible team until 3 seasons ago.

Parade tomorrow!
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

brian wrote:Can't tell you how much I hate Detroit City FC fans. Probably the shittiest fanbase in all of American soccer. Not even a joke. Just a group of a few thousand assholes that cosplay being hooligans and live to troll.

I enjoy Detroit City FC games from the supporter side of the stands. The Northern Guard are gentle souls when compared to English, much less Central European, soccer fans.

My (then) 14 year-old daughter was quite pleased to stand among the smoke-bomb igniters, obscene chanters, and extreme imbibers. She didn't feel threatened at all. It was more hazardous to walk (a short one) to the car in the Cass Corridor, back when the team played at Cass Tech.

We did feel pretty bad for not attending the game where a banner ignited, just a few feet from the sideline. They played on, with throw-in position adjusted a bit when the ball went out near the burning banner.

I'm curious: have you ever been to a DCFC game?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Pretty busy Sunday in the MLS. They had a half day trade window and teams got ready for the 2 phase waiver drafts coming up (or in DC United's case just getting enough guys on the Roster to have a scrimmage with another team).
http://sbisoccer.com/2017/12/mls-half-d ... n-and-more
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

https://twitter.com/KristianRDyer/statu ... n-the-move

I think this has legs, and as much as I'd hate to see him go, it would be a blast to watch him working the ball for that ATL side.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Looks like Arthur Blank really really wants to beat DC United next year.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I kinda hope LA picks Khiry Shelton so he can get a legit shot.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

RBNJ rumored to be dealing Kljestan to LA which ... ok?