Thanksgiving 2017

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Thanksgiving 2017

Post by A_B »

Get your holiday started off right

A Caucausian's Guide to Black Thanksgiving: Part 1 and Part 2

Fun read
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Thanksgiving 2017

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I'll take "Guaranteed ways to have my daughter fistfight a family member, ALex"
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote:

I'm assuming she's anti-Trump?

My Mom's in town for the first Thanksgiving since we moved to Las Vegas and it's nice to see Mom, but damn if this isn't screwing up a nice little tradition the wife and I had of making a huge Thanksgiving meal, watching the Lions and gorging on Netflix and leftovers for the entire weekend. But hey...family.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Happy Thanksgiving Gentlemen. (And Moreta!)

Hope the turkey's nicely done and that the name "Trump" stays out of your family dinner.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

PASS THE MASH!!
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Gravy.

Heading to DE early tomorrow and heading home Friday instead of Saturday as usual. Our nieces' birthdays are in Nov and the party is normally the Sat after TG. My wife insisted all month it was Friday, so we planned around that and just found out she was wrong and it's Sat. Too late to adjust kennel reservation, and finding a room for us on Fri night night be tough, too.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

brian wrote:
A_B wrote:

My Mom's in town for the first Thanksgiving since we moved to Las Vegas and it's nice to see Mom, but damn if this isn't screwing up a nice little tradition the wife and I had of making a huge Thanksgiving meal, watching the Lions and gorging on Netflix and leftovers for the entire weekend. But hey...family.

Are you still not talking to your dad? Not that it’s any of my business.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote:Get your holiday started off right

A Caucausian's Guide to Black Thanksgiving: Part 1 and Part 2

Fun read

Rembert did something similar for Bon Appetit.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote:Good luck, Rass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buPHnurxDoE

"98 degrees fahrtenheit!" Line of the year.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

I'm going to see my mother and various other family members and cats over the next few days. Should be comfortable and relaxing. A lot of driving, a lot of reading, some football and hockey. And cats.

But tonight I'm staying in, listening to old radio broadcasts of dead talk-show hosts. (Doug Hoerth, WTAE-AM, 1997.) The Penguins are getting pole-axed without Malkin in the line-up, so I'll continue on with olde-tymey radio.

Happy Thanksgiving, Swamp. I'll see you next week.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

There is a football game Thursday night

There are football games all day Friday

There are football games all day Saturday

There will be coaches fired on Sunday
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Best Thanksgiving movie?

https://youtu.be/d-iW1-xgLEY

Runner up of course is Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

Happy Thanksgiving, swampers.

Low key dinner tomorrow since some of my kids will be at their dad’s. I’m taking one kid to the Michigan v OSU game Saturday and I already regret my life choices.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

bfj wrote:
brian wrote:
A_B wrote:

Not since last October. Though it would be as accurate to say he hasn’t contacted me either.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Happy thanksgiving assholes. We are hosting some of our single friends who don't have their kids for the holiday, so I've been up since 4 cooking. Regardless, I get to start drinking wine at noon and have no Black Friday chauffeur responsibilities so it's all good.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. We celebrated it last weekend when my mom was in town. She works in retail and can’t get away for the actual holiday. Other than making a turkey pot pie for dinner and doing some yard work, we have no plans for the day, which pleases me.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Sabo wrote:Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. We celebrated it last weekend when my mom was in town. She works in retail and can’t get away for the actual holiday. Other than making a turkey pot pie for dinner and doing some yard work, we have no plans for the day, which pleases me.

Was just wanting to friends about how shitty it is that stores are opening today. For what? Some shareholders get an extra penny in Q4?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

brian wrote:
bfj wrote:
brian wrote:
A_B wrote:

Not since last October. Though it would be as accurate to say he hasn’t contacted me either.

Didn’t mean to imply it was all on you. Definitely a two-way street.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

govmentchedda wrote:
Sabo wrote:Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. We celebrated it last weekend when my mom was in town. She works in retail and can’t get away for the actual holiday. Other than making a turkey pot pie for dinner and doing some yard work, we have no plans for the day, which pleases me.

Was just wanting to friends about how shitty it is that stores are opening today. For what? Some shareholders get an extra penny in Q4?

She works for a Christian bookstore, and the store is closed today. But I think she said it opens tomorrow at 8 a.m., which still seems very early to me. I know I’m not that store’s target demographic, but I can’t imagine there will be a long line clamoring to get in at 8 a.m. to buy Jesus statues.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

bfj wrote:
brian wrote:
bfj wrote:
brian wrote:
A_B wrote:

Didn’t mean to imply it was all on you. Definitely a two-way street.

I didn't take it that way. And I suppose I could and should be the bigger person, but I'm not sure what we would talk about except the Lions (which was pretty much all we ever talked about anyway).
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote:
A_B wrote:

Yep, and wife's family is overwhelmingly conservative.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Could be fun for you and her to pretend you’ve come around on trump and just roleplay horrific people.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I'm pretty sure I ranted last year about something like this....So I live in Maryland with my wife. My own parents are in Palm Beach Gardens, and my brother (in Tampa) is making the trek across the state to share in a bird later this afternoon.

Today I'll go with my wife to her mother's. Her father passed a couple years ago (they were divorced anyway). Her brother is spending today with his wife's family out in western Maryland. Her sister, who recently got married (approx 14 or so months ago) apparently (?) extended the invite to include her husband's brother. Who is bringing his girlfriend. His girlfriend has a few kids in the 7-12 years of age range. I have no idea as to their names, because we only ever see them whenever my sister-in-law's husband's brother decides to invite himself and his girlfriend and her children. The girlfriend has to be watched so that she doesn't drink too much. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's why my SIL's husband invited his brother to this gathering. So that he can help him keep his girlfriend's life in order.

So, basically this means I can't bring my dog out to enjoy my MIL's giant backyard, because one of the kids is afraid of dogs. You know. The son of the girlfriend of the brother of my sister-in-law's husband. We were asked not to bring him because it'd be inconsiderate otherwise. My wife's mother told us this.

...So basically, instead of going to spend time with family, eat a giant bird and collapse into the living room to watch mediocre football as we chat about life's banalities...We'll eat, briefly engage in small talk afterwards, and make certain we're back in time to the city so that our dog can relieve himself.

Do you know how to learn to give-a-fuck about people who shove intervention-y measures in your face, thus preventing you from enjoying the holiday as you'd like?

Cheers!
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Awesome!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EnochRoot wrote:I'm pretty sure I ranted last year about something like this....So I live in Maryland with my wife. My own parents are in Palm Beach Gardens, and my brother (in Tampa) is making the trek across the state to share in a bird later this afternoon.

Today I'll go with my wife to her mother's. Her father passed a couple years ago (they were divorced anyway). Her brother is spending today with his wife's family out in western Maryland. Her sister, who recently got married (approx 14 or so months ago) apparently (?) extended the invite to include her husband's brother. Who is bringing his girlfriend. His girlfriend has a few kids in the 7-12 years of age range. I have no idea as to their names, because we only ever see them whenever my sister-in-law's husband's brother decides to invite himself and his girlfriend and her children. The girlfriend has to be watched so that she doesn't drink too much. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's why my SIL's husband invited his brother to this gathering. So that he can help him keep his girlfriend's life in order.

So, basically this means I can't bring my dog out to enjoy my MIL's giant backyard, because one of the kids is afraid of dogs. You know. The son of the girlfriend of the brother of my sister-in-law's husband. We were asked not to bring him because it'd be inconsiderate otherwise. My wife's mother told us this.

...So basically, instead of going to spend time with family, eat a giant bird and collapse into the living room to watch mediocre football as we chat about life's banalities...We'll eat, briefly engage in small talk afterwards, and make certain we're back in time to the city so that our dog can relieve himself.

Do you know how to learn to give-a-fuck about people who shove intervention-y measures in your face, thus preventing you from enjoying the holiday as you'd like?

Cheers!

That sucks balls. If it's a nice dog there's no way they should put that crap on you. Sorry, man.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

sancarlos wrote:
EnochRoot wrote:I'm pretty sure I ranted last year about something like this....So I live in Maryland with my wife. My own parents are in Palm Beach Gardens, and my brother (in Tampa) is making the trek across the state to share in a bird later this afternoon.

Cheers!

That sucks balls. If it's a nice dog there's no way they should put that crap on you. Sorry, man.

Yeah, they should leave that pussy kid home. As the father of a kid who is afraid of dogs, even nice ones, it doesn't matter how nice the dog is, fear is fear.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Enjoying the day in Orlando. Been here since Sunday. Lots of fun at Harry Potter World. Just the wife and girls. No family bs to deal with.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

bfj wrote:
sancarlos wrote:

Cheers!

Yeah, they should leave that pussy kid home. As the father of a kid who is afraid of dogs, even nice ones, it doesn't matter how nice the dog is, fear is fear.

though priority given based on the proximity to the trunk of the family tree seems reasonable
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I'm cooking dinner for the GF, my kids, and her younger daughter. Mostly mellow, although with Kelsey ( her 22 year old daughter with Autism), things are never too mellow. But it should be fun.

Turkey's in the oven, and I just killed off my second bloody mary and am about to pop open a beer.

Also the first Thanksgiving sans Football. Seems weird, but its all good.

Happy Thanksgiving swamper-mates! Cheers!
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, but it is a hell of a way to spend a Thursday afternoon.
drchuck
Jackie Treehorn

Post by drchuck »

I'm having an Egg Bowl for the holiday.

Happy Thanksgiving, old friends.

chuck [get well soon, Nick Fitzgerald]
dr. chuck, geek at large. been a long time since I croaked.
https://chuckpearson.wordpress.com, https://twitter.com/PearsonFootball
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Upon reflection, after reading bfj’s post, I agree defer to his view on the subject.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Happy turkey day y'all.

Only 8 of us, but a lot of 4 and under kids that were off nap schedule, so it got a wee bit fun.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

drchuck wrote:I'm having an Egg Bowl for the holiday.

Happy Thanksgiving, old friends.

chuck [get well soon, Nick Fitzgerald]

is an Egg Bowl soup with a broken drumstick?

https://screengrabber.deadspin.com/nick ... 1820712815