NBA Basketball 2017/18

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Re: NBA Basketball 2017/18

Post by Joe K »

brian wrote:So I don’t watch the NBA but are the Pistons for real or is this smoke and mirrors?

Probably somewhere in between. I'd be shocked if they finish as the #2 seed or win ~55 games (their current pace), but they should be a playoff team. They've been helped a lot by Drummond's FT shooting improvement -- even making 60%, as opposed to his customary 40%, makes him much more valuable -- and the addition of Avery Bradley. The Celtics got rid of Bradley to clear salary space for Hayward, but he's a very good player who has been solid for the Pistons.
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

Joe K wrote:
brian wrote:So I don’t watch the NBA but are the Pistons for real or is this smoke and mirrors?

Probably somewhere in between. I'd be shocked if they finish as the #2 seed or win ~55 games (their current pace), but they should be a playoff team. They've been helped a lot by Drummond's FT shooting improvement -- even making 60%, as opposed to his customary 40%, makes him much more valuable -- and the addition of Avery Bradley. The Celtics got rid of Bradley to clear salary space for Hayward, but he's a very good player who has been solid for the Pistons.

Tobias Harris is also a real player. Him + Avery Bradley help fill out a starting 5 that is not a complete garbage fire.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Just saw a friend from college who I feel out of contact with get re-tweeted by Howard Beck and saw that he has a shop for his t-shirt designs, mostly for the NBA.

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Durant Durant shirt is legit.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Washington G-league (formerly d-league) team got a name....The Capitol City Go Gos.

I know Gogo is a DC thing but that is a terrible name. If you wanted a SE DC thing I would have focused on Mumbo Sauce.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

oh

Image Image
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

blundercrush wrote:
Joe K wrote:

Tobias Harris is also a real player. Him + Avery Bradley help fill out a starting 5 that is not a complete garbage fire.

Last season everything that could go bad, did. This season, so far, the opposite. Younger veteran players -- Harris and Jackson in particular -- are developing nicely, and Bradley is changing the formerly pathetic defensive focus. The obvious number one factor is Andre Drummond being possessed by the spirit of Moses Malone. In a weak East, this could all be good for an above-average record and some hope for the future.

And of course, the above number one factor is the total absence of Josh Smith. I only hope that he has a long-term contract in Kryzigstan or Guangzhou with a team owned by a mobster who will kill him if he tries to get on a plane for Detroit.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Gordon Hayward is going to suit up for playoffs...

http://www.espn.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4726331/ainge-hayward-close-to-shedding-walking-boot-as-rehab-begins

So they get the cap exemption AND the player. Pretty nice deal so long as Ainge uses it before Hayward re-starts training camp a couple weeks before playoffs.

7.6 EXCEPTIONS TO THE SALARY CAP
(c) Disabled Player Exception.

Subject to the rules set forth in Section 6(m) below, a Team may, in accordance with the rules set forth in this Section 6(c), sign or acquire one Replacement Player to replace a player who, as a result of a Disabling Injury or Illness (as defined below), is unable to render playing services (the “Disabled Player”).

An application for a Disabled Player Exception in respect of a Salary Cap Year, regardless of when the Disabling Injury or Illness occurred, may be made at any time from July 1 through January 15 of such Salary Cap Year.

If a Team wishes to sign a Replacement Player pursuant to this Section 6(c), such Replacement Player’s Contract may be for one Season and provide Salary and Unlikely Bonuses for the Salary Cap Year in which the player is signed totaling up to the lesser of (A) fifty percent (50%) of the Disabled Player’s Salary for the then-current Salary Cap Year, or (B) an amount equal to Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Salary Exception (as defined in Section 6(e) below) for such Salary Cap Year.

If a Team wishes to acquire a Replacement Player pursuant to this Section 6(c), the Replacement Player must have only one Season remaining on his Player Contract and the Replacement Player’s post-assignment Salary for the Salary Cap Year in which the Replacement Player is acquired may be up to the lesser of the amount described in Section 6(c)(1)(ii)(A) above or the amount described in Section 6(c)(1)(ii)(B) above, plus, in either case, $100,000.

For purposes of this Section 6(c), Disabling Injury or Illness means any injury or illness that, in the opinion of the physician described in Section 6(c)(4) below, makes it substantially more likely than not that the player would be unable to play through the following June 15.
The Exception for a Disabling Injury or Illness shall expire on the March 10 following the date the Exception is granted.
The determination of whether a player has suffered a Disabling Injury or Illness shall be made by a physician designated by the NBA, who shall review the relevant medical information and, if the physician deems it appropriate, examine the player. The NBA shall advise the Players Association of the determination of its physician within one (1) business day of such determination. In the event the Players Association disputes the NBA physician’s determination, the parties will immediately refer the matter to a neutral physician (to be selected by the parties at the commencement of each Salary Cap Year) to review the relevant medical information and, if the neutral physician deems it appropriate, examine the player. Within three (3) business days of receipt of such information (and examination of the player, if requested), the neutral physician shall make a final determination, which will be final, binding and unappealable. The cost of the NBA physician will be borne by the NBA. The cost of the neutral physician will be borne equally and jointly by the NBA and the Players Association.

If a Team requests an Exception pursuant to this Section 6(c), the player with respect to whom the request is made shall cooperate in the processing of the request, including by appearing at the scheduled place and time for examination by the NBA-appointed physician and, if necessary, the neutral physician. The player shall not make any misrepresentation or fail to disclose any relevant information in connection with the processing of the application.

Notwithstanding a Team’s receipt of an Exception in respect of a Disabled Player pursuant to this Section 6(c), such player, upon recovering from his injury or illness, may resume playing for the Team. If the player resumes playing for the Team, or is traded, prior to the Team’s use of its Exception, the Exception shall be extinguished.

The Disabled Player Exception is available only to the Team with which the player was under Contract at the time his Disabling Injury or Illness became known or reasonably should have become known. In order for a Team to apply for a Disabled Player Exception pursuant to this Section 6(c), the Disabled Player must continue to be on the Team’s roster from the time the Team makes such application through the date upon which the Exception is granted.

If a Team makes a request for an Exception to replace a Disabled Player pursuant to this Section 6(c) and such request is denied, the Team shall not be permitted to make any subsequent request for an Exception to replace the same player pursuant to this Section 6(c) unless ninety (90) days have passed since the first request was denied and the Team establishes that the subsequent request is based on a new injury or an aggravation of the same injury. If a Team makes a request for an Exception to replace a Disabled Player for a Season pursuant to this Section 6(c), then, whether such request is granted or denied, the Team shall be permitted to renew its request for an Exception to replace the Disabled Player for a subsequent Season(s) by applying for another Exception in respect of that player for such Season in accordance with the rules set forth in this Section 6(c).
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

If be very surprised if Hayward plays this year. At a minimum, the team doctors would have to be very confident that there's no risk of aggravation. Let's face it, no one's beating a healthy Warriors* this year, so it's not the year to take injury risks.

*Yes, I know the Celtics won the matchup earlier this year. But the Warriors have another gear for the postseason, and good luck getting Curry to shoot that poorly 4 times in a series.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don't know how anyone who's had that injury ever attempts a jump again.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Definitely agree on the docs but the timeline for broken bones seems a lot faster than ligament issues. The team is 22-4 without him so I dont think they need to be SO worried about his future. Id roll the dice with a low reinjury risk instead of waiting on zero risk. I get that the team has hundreds of millions invested but a finals run through the East (or even another L to Cleveland) would be a large benefit to the 18-19 team. As for the Warriors, thats just the wrong way to look at it. You cant assume you get beat and not bother trying. They can win at home. They can shut them down completely on offense. Will it happen 4/7 times, probably not... but a playoff injury is more likely than not, just a matter of which player and how long. Totally worth it
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo wrote:Definitely agree on the docs but the timeline for broken bones seems a lot faster than ligament issues. The team is 22-4 without him so I dont think they need to be SO worried about his future. Id roll the dice with a low reinjury risk instead of waiting on zero risk. I get that the team has hundreds of millions invested but a finals run through the East (or even another L to Cleveland) would be a large benefit to the 18-19 team. As for the Warriors, thats just the wrong way to look at it. You cant assume you get beat and not bother trying. They can win at home. They can shut them down completely on offense. Will it happen 4/7 times, probably not... but a playoff injury is more likely than not, just a matter of which player and how long. Totally worth it

You're forgetting you gotta get past the cavs first anyway.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Nah, I didnt forget... but ill still refrain from a snarky brontoism
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

The Rockets are now 10-0 in games where Chris Paul has played, after their big comeback last night. For the questions about whether Paul could fit in with Harden, it seems to be working really well. Paul's scoring and turnovers are down playing with a ball-dominant SG, but all his other numbers (assists, shooting %, rebounds, steals) are comparable to the stats he put up on the Clippers. And the Rockets are the only other team besides the Warriors that's top-5 in both offensive and defensive efficiency. I still have a very hard time seeing anyone winning a series against Golden State, but the Rockets are probably their biggest (and perhaps only) threat.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I think the Rockets are a very real threat. I wonder how they can defend the Warriors. They're going to have to do something surprising on that end to have a strong chance.

Of course, any kind of injury to a rotation player throws everything up in the air. No one is deeper in stars who can turn it up than the Warriors, but I think they'd be in trouble as well.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

DC47 wrote:I think the Rockets are a very real threat. I wonder how they can defend the Warriors. They're going to have to do something surprising on that end to have a strong chance.

Of course, any kind of injury to a rotation player throws everything up in the air. No one is deeper in stars who can turn it up than the Warriors, but I think they'd be in trouble as well.

The Rockets have several athletic wing defenders (Ariza, Tucker, M'bah Moute) and Paul is an excellent defensive PG. But what sets the Warriors apart from everyone else, besides their sheer star power, is that their best defensive lineups are also their best offensive lineups. Golden State's best defensive players (Green, Durant and Iguodala) are certainly much stronger offensively than the Rockets' wing stoppers.

The asymmetry between offensive and defensive players is also what kills Cleveland against Golden State. Their best offensive lineups involve LeBron surrounded by shooters like Love, Korver, and Frye. But those aforementioned shooters all struggle on defense against Golden State.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Burneko at Deadspin w/ a compelling overview of just how minutes abusive Thibs is being in Minnesota...:

https://deadspin.com/tom-thibodeau-is-d ... 1821265024
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Why is everyone booing Paul George? He didn't even play at Trinidad & Tobago.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I can only hope they are doing that in MLS.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

It's pretty funny that after Woj and Deadspin made a big deal about how it was oh so unfair that the Sixers weren't playing Jahlil Okafor that he's now racked up 4 straight DNP-CDs with the Nets.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I was wondering about that, thought maybe he was rehabbing or something. What was the point of getting him then? Kinda wish that he had gotten shipped to the Hawks, to give Bud a side project to keep him interested while his team tanks.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Rex wrote:I was wondering about that, thought maybe he was rehabbing or something. What was the point of getting him then? Kinda wish that he had gotten shipped to the Hawks, to give Bud a side project to keep him interested while his team tanks.

Not sure why the Nets made the trade, because they haven the played Stauskas either. Maybe they liked the second round pick? The thing that Woj and Deadspin ignored about Okafor is that for today's NBA he's not only way worse than Embiid but also worse than Amir Johnson and Richaun Holmes. So there was never any reason to think that his marginalization in Philly was for non-basketball reasons. But Woj probably uses Okafor's agent as a source and Deadspin has been beating an anti-Sixers drum for years and needed to pick a new angle after some of their other takes aged horribly.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

This might be a problem:

The full list:
https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... r_by_asc=Y
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Rex wrote:This might be a problem:

The full list:
https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... r_by_asc=Y

we now get every Thunder game in KC, so I've watched way too many of their games so far. I'm convinced that once they start making shots they won't nearly be as frustrating, but they're also committing random turnovers and weird errors at inopportune times as well.

I think they have to go all-in with the team this season and not trade George, but they're a weird team. and even if they put it all together, will be no better than third-best in the West anyway.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Melo and Russ are also the bottom 2 on that list in True Shooting Percentage, which factors the value of 3s and free throws into shooting efficiency. The Thunder have actually been a really good defensive team and their struggles are pretty much all attributable to the stars' offensive struggles. Combine that with the big spike in efficiency for Oladipo and Sabonis after getting traded to Indiana, and I am here for the Westbrook hot takes (even though I think Bronto's reaction is the accurate one).
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Really don't understand why the Cavs-Warriors game is the 300 game on Christmas day, especially with it being in Oakland. Seems like that's a lot of people gonna ditch lunch to either go or watch the game. And there's and all east-coast match up just waiting to be in that slot in Celts-Wiz.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Rockets are first team ever to enter 4th quarter down 5 and win by 20+. They were down 91-83 with 9:00 left and won 120-99.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

It took ten years and countless injuries, but my strong opinion that Michael Beasley would be a better NBA player than Derrick Rose is finally coming true. For a long time, that was in the running for my all-time most wrong sports prediction.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Random stat - Of every season in which a player had more rebounds per game than points per game, Andre Drummond's last two seasons have the highest PPG of anyone else in the last 45 years.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Good game
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yea Marcus smart made up for some of those missed jumpers.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Pistons rocking. Still no sign of Josh Smith.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Ryan wrote:Good game

I get it's the NBA and all, but how do you miss 5 traveling calls in 2 minutes.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

DC47 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:20 am Pistons rocking. Still no sign of Josh Smith.
Tobias Harris deserves MVP votes for posting this video to Instagram:

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

In less humorous NBA news, I remain perplexed by Ty Lue trying to beat the Warriors by playing a high scoring game in the 120s. The Cavs played well for 3+ quarters last night and the game was tied 93-all early in the 4th. But that'll rarely be sustainable for 4 quarters, and you're never going to beat Golden State in a 7-game series by playing shootouts. That was true last year and is even more true now.

The only chance they have, and admittedly it's a very slim one at that, is using the types of slowdown efforts that David Blatt used in the 2015 Finals after Kyrie got hurt. That team did a number of things like taking a few extra seconds to inbound the ball, using longer possessions, etc., and was able to get the Warriors out of their offensive rhythm for at least a few games. Boston similarly was able to turn their game against the Warriors into a rock fight in the game they won earlier this season. It's such an obvious strategy to me because in any possession-based sport, the heavy underdog should want to play a lower possession game to increase variance -- and a slower game might also allow LeBron to play even heavier minutes in a playoff series. If the Cavs keep trying to play shootouts, they have a better chance of getting swept in a series than of winning even 2 games.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

MIssing 15 of 16 shots at one point after it was 93 all wasn't a good idea either. Some weren't good shots, but many were fine looks. Frustrating because it looked like the Cavs were engaged.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

A_B wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:40 am MIssing 15 of 16 shots at one point after it was 93 all wasn't a good idea either. Some weren't good shots, but many were fine looks. Frustrating because it looked like the Cavs were engaged.
Going 1-16 is pretty extreme but I also think it’s a product of just how hard it is to sustain a high level of play against the Warriors for 4 quarters of a fast-paced game. There were some games in last year’s Finals where LeBron was unbelievable for 2-3 quarters but seemed to wear down late.