Alabama Election

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Does Roy Moore win the Alabama Senate race?

Yes
62%
No
38%

Total votes: 26

duff
Donny

Re: Alabama Election

Post by duff »

I am just preparing for a long drawn out recount with how close it was. I am sure Moore and his team has it already in the works.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That Jones is a hell of a speaker.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote:Live look at Moore headquarters.

https://youtu.be/gcJGM7htXr0

Good lord... it's the grimmest hymn sing ever!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

About as magnanimous as you'd expect.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Paging Budd Dwyer.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

What a pussy, he just said the counting is going to continue late, and told everyone to go home, and he will deal with this tomorrow. WTF? Guess he isn't going to concede? Or speak to his crowd?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

But aren't they going to destroy the voting records right after the election?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote:I mean ... I obviously want a certain outcome here, but the idea of the nation potentially applauding Alabama for defeating a pedophile bigot 49.21% to 49.20% doesn't exactly feel right.

My Facebook status, more succinct.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Dan Rather getting me a little choked up here:

As long as we have free elections, this country has a chance. As long as the tide of decency swells in our electorate, we have a chance. As long as people organize, and people believe, this country has a chance.

Steady, I have cautioned. Steady, is a chapter in my book. Steady is the word of the day. The great pendulum of our nation is maybe swinging its way back to normalcy.

I have been thinking that the last time I felt this way on a day to day basis might very well have been when I was a child following the daily desperate news reports on the momentous battles of the Second World War. There was a deep sense that the fate of the world hung in the balance and there were tides of optimism and despair.

But after early defeats and dark days, the great tide swung towards freedom. There were pitched battles ahead back then, but liberty emerged victorious. There is that feeling once again tonight.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I don't want to follow that stuff from Rather with The Onion, but this is good.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/940 ... 51232?s=17
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

And I'm not sure how I just learned this yesterday, but he fills the seat until 2021. That's fantastic.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Well, that was a lot of fun. Unfortunately, the shit part really starts now. Moore won't concede, and there will be no pressure from national GOP to convince him to do so. They are more than happy to drag this out and let Strange continue to vote lockstep with them. It will get really ugly as they start to go after the minority voter rolls that tipped this with the later tallying districts. Thanks to the bullshit state laws that were recently passed, they are allowed to delete the vote images from the voting machines, which makes any recount really weird. So, they will start by trying to review the registered voter lists and start scratching off names. They will say they've found thousands of names in Bham and Mobile as registered voters but shouldn't be for this and that reason, and then claim the whole election should be invalidated.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

And please recall with clarity the situation with Scott Brown, where Obama and senate dems refused to hurry along the healthcare act until he was seated. They did the ethical thing even under intense pressure from many on the left to say fuck it.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

At least the memes will be glorious today.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcoWg74hQY3/
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

I may have been wrong. State GOP appears to have conceded: https://algop.org/algop-statement-on-th ... n-results/
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Where the white women at?

Apparently voting for predators.

https://twitter.com/deray/status/940792297389809672
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I am stunned. No reason to minimize this either - that any dem could win the senate in Alabama, much less a pro choice one, is a huge deal. Way more so than the VA results, for the first time I will allow myself some hope that nonlinear is right and mostly free and kinda fair elections are still possible and a wave is coming.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Square Rob wrote:I may have been wrong. State GOP appears to have conceded: https://algop.org/algop-statement-on-th ... n-results/

How about Moore?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I was hoping Jones won by 1 vote so I could say "wow, everyone in Alabama counts" unironically
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass wrote:
Square Rob wrote:I may have been wrong. State GOP appears to have conceded: https://algop.org/algop-statement-on-th ... n-results/

How about Moore?

Without backing of the state GOP, it won't matter, I don't think, whether Moore officially concedes or not. He'd have to fund a challenge on his own.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

For all my faith in this country, no way did I expect that result yesterday. I had hope, but no real confidence.

As I posted on Facebook, Rather has really been my beacon the last year. I appreciate brian posting that quote in here (I shared it last night on Fb.)

We're on a razor's edge, but it feels like the country is trying to claw it's way back.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This feels like the rare "everyone wins" situation. I mean, Moore obviously doesn't and Trump doesn't, but the Dems do, Alabama does, "the people" do and I really think the Republicans do. They can now localize this saying "AL ran him, we had a party responsibility, we wouldn't have sat him" and give some distance except for the individuals who actively campaigned.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote:This feels like the rare "everyone wins" situation. I mean, Moore obviously doesn't and Trump doesn't, but the Dems do, Alabama does, "the people" do and I really think the Republicans do. They can now localize this saying "AL ran him, we had a party responsibility, we wouldn't have sat him" and give some distance except for the individuals who actively campaigned.

They can sure try. Except, for yaknow, all of them that went on the record being for it AND the RNC going back live in the last few weeks with money and other support. I think they can be made to eat this.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

tennbengal wrote:
mister d wrote:This feels like the rare "everyone wins" situation. I mean, Moore obviously doesn't and Trump doesn't, but the Dems do, Alabama does, "the people" do and I really think the Republicans do. They can now localize this saying "AL ran him, we had a party responsibility, we wouldn't have sat him" and give some distance except for the individuals who actively campaigned.

They can sure try. Except, for yaknow, all of them that went on the record being for it AND the RNC going back live in the last few weeks with money and other support. I think they can be made to eat this.

They're gonna eat it. People are paying attention.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Don't bury the lede on who the biggest loser from last night is. It isn't Moore and it isn't the national GOP.

It's Trump. He could have distanced himself from Moore and let him sink or swim on his own. Presidents aren't required to campaign or endorse candidates in these elections. Trump is so convinced of his own popularity he thought he could swing the election to Moore by embracing him* and ultimately it could have been what did Moore in.

* - He should have learned this lesson at least a dozen times before already, most notably by seeing how the Alabama GOP voters reacted to his endorsement of Strange in the primary, but Trump is gonna Trump. He's not a genius or a wizard and his vanity and stupidity can be weaponized against him if the Dems are smart.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The other major takeaway is not that GOP voters switched to Jones, although some obviously did, but this was all about turnout, especially black and young voters.

There's a template here that can be copied in the midterms. Ted Cruz should be shitting his pants because if Alabama can flip 30 points from 2016 (even with a seriously flawed candidate), then Texas can easily flip 10 or so.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I could almost have given him a pass if he'd just endorsed him once in a tweet, with the justification that "we can't have a liberal replace Sessions in the Senate." Just from a strategy and realpolitik angle. Still gross and reprehensible, but in 2017, it would've been a small dose of kerosene on the dumpster fire.

But, yeah, he went all in. Campaign rally in Pensacola was pushing all of his chips in the middle.

Fucking moron.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote:The other major takeaway is not that GOP voters switched to Jones, although some obviously did, but this was all about turnout, especially black and young voters.

There's a template here that can be copied in the midterms. Ted Cruz should be shitting his pants because if Alabama can flip 30 points from 2016 (even with a seriously flawed candidate), then Texas can easily flip 10 or so.

I've been following his opponent, Beto O'Rourke, on Facebook for months.

I think Cruz is fucked. This guy is young, but not boyish. He's energetic and very personable. And he's progressive, but in a way that's not going to freak out the kind of suburban voters that just came out pretty handily for Jones in AL.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Texas has never been able to mobilize Latino voters on any kind of huge scale compared to California, Nevada and New Mexico. I'm hoping there's a lot of boots on the ground doing that because I truly believe Texas can be got with these kind of tailwinds for the Dems. Beating Cruz would send a pretty huge message to the rest of the country.

ETA: And the irony of mobilizing Latinos to vote for a non-Latino over a Latino candidate is not lost on me and kind of proof of how fucked things are in general.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I just posted this on Fb, thought I'd double up here:

Just one more comment about yesterday's election results. I find it very interesting that almost all of the commentary today points to Moore being a terrible candidate due in large part to the allegations about his sexual misconduct. And, yes, of course that had a part in this.

But what I don't see is a mention of how racist this guy is. And it's not some "he's said things that could be interpreted as racist." Nope. Screw that. Dude said we would be better off stopping at the 10th Amendment. That we were a better country during the time of racism.

The fact that so much of today's coverage is pointing to massive, overwhelming support of Jones from black Alabamians, yet we're still trying to act like Moore lost because he perved out on young white women is a pretty good sign we still aren't truly honest with ourselves on these issues.

Not trying to be a wet blanket, but we all need to continue to do better.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Nonlinear FC wrote:
brian wrote:The other major takeaway is not that GOP voters switched to Jones, although some obviously did, but this was all about turnout, especially black and young voters.

I've been following his opponent, Beto O'Rourke, on Facebook for months.

I think Cruz is fucked. This guy is young, but not boyish. He's energetic and very personable. And he's progressive, but in a way that's not going to freak out the kind of suburban voters that just came out pretty handily for Jones in AL.

He's raising some good money. I saw him speak a few weeks ago and there was a noticeable excitement for him. He picked a local brewery and right after their Saturday afternoon tasting hours, so there was a large crowd, but not full of his normal supporters. He was careful not to attack Trump by name, but extremely enthusiastic cheers to his comments about DeVos.

I'm interested to see how teachers mobilize if these tax plans pass and they're no longer able to deduct personal expenses for classroom supplies. I've seen some amazing things done by teachers here since my daughter's been in school and I feel like that's a group that won't react kindly if they're losing money when they're trying to help the kids.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Teachers have already had their unions attacked continually by the GOP -- both nationally and in a lot of states, so they're kind of itching for a fight anyway.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

Nonlinear FC wrote:I just posted this on Fb, thought I'd double up here:

Just one more comment about yesterday's election results. I find it very interesting that almost all of the commentary today points to Moore being a terrible candidate due in large part to the allegations about his sexual misconduct. And, yes, of course that had a part in this.

But what I don't see is a mention of how racist this guy is. And it's not some "he's said things that could be interpreted as racist." Nope. Screw that. Dude said we would be better off stopping at the 10th Amendment. That we were a better country during the time of racism.

The fact that so much of today's coverage is pointing to massive, overwhelming support of Jones from black Alabamians, yet we're still trying to act like Moore lost because he perved out on young white women is a pretty good sign we still aren't truly honest with ourselves on these issues.

Not trying to be a wet blanket, but we all need to continue to do better.

Yup. Moore barely won his Chief Justice seat in 2012. He's just an awful guy.
How did he beat Luther Strange? GOP were running Moore to make it easier for Strange to win.

I want to know how many write-in votes were for Nick Saban.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The GOP didn't want Moore to run to begin with. I'm sure the Alabama GOP and national GOP would have been perfectly happy for Strange to run unopposed in the GOP primary. And if he had, the GOP would have held the seat.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

degenerasian wrote:How did he beat Luther Strange?

Bannon and the Maga Trolls
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

brian wrote:The GOP didn't want Moore to run to begin with. I'm sure the Alabama GOP and national GOP would have been perfectly happy for Strange to run unopposed in the GOP primary. And if he had, the GOP would have held the seat.

Wouldn't have been unopposed. There was a runoff to get to the runoff.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..