Post by Shirley »

This seems relevant. Very cool chart.

https://twitter.com/AndyRichter/status/ ... 0565216256
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Post by Pruitt »

Shirley wrote:This seems relevant. Very cool chart.

https://twitter.com/AndyRichter/status/ ... 0565216256

And would you look at that - the 20 states with highest rates of gun deaths are all red.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Avram wrote:Even though Chicago has the toughest gun laws in the nation (there are ZERO gun stores in Chicago), it is very easy to bring guns in from neighboring counties and especially from Pence's home state of Indiana

I've read that Chicago's gun laws aren't that strict anymore anyway. They had an absolute ban, and that was shot down by Scalia and his buddies, but after that, their laws are more in line with other cities.

Is that not true?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Yesterday...

Absolutely disgusting how these people continue to support this man. Jesus wept.

http://www.newsweek.com/roy-more-sexual ... als-709015

Same person today...

I love this Pope so much. So proud to call myself a Catholic.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/15/europe/po ... index.html
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I don't necessarily see those two points as antithetical.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

L-Jam3 wrote:I don't necessarily see those two points as antithetical.

We know you don't.

http://catholicherald.co.uk/news/2017/0 ... e-priests/
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Well, I didn't look at it from the Pedophilia angle. I was just seeing that evangelicals supporting pedophiles is shitty, and a leader of a large organization who received a Lambo as a gift choosing to auction it for charity is not shitty.

Asshole.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Yeah, but I'm a tremendous asshole.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:
L-Jam3 wrote:I don't necessarily see those two points as antithetical.

We know you don't.

http://catholicherald.co.uk/news/2017/0 ... e-priests/

Too be fair, I don't see how you can draw a comparison to voting for a guy who is alleged to have molested a child 40 years ago, to continuing to support an organization that actively protects and defends 100s of priests who molested 100s of 1000s of children, and moving the pedo[phile priests to new churches when allegations come out, without warning the parishioners that they are placing a known child molestor in a sacred position where he will regularly be given access to children who trust him, then systematically obstructing justice in dozens of countries to prevent the governments of these countries from protecting the children from the worst horrors imaginable.

I want to post an article about Harvey Weinstein giving a nickel to a homeless guy, so we can focus on his charitable side.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Do your Facebook friends ever post cut-and-paste crap like, "I wonder how many people will/ or I know most people don't read long posts, but I'm asking my real friends to cut and paste this/leave one word/etc. to show support for [blank] cause/show me that you care" or some such similar stupidity? I know Facebook trades on people who need constant stroking, but this is so stupid...
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

sancarlos wrote:Do your Facebook friends ever post cut-and-paste crap like, "I wonder how many people will/ or I know most people don't read long posts, but I'm asking my real friends to cut and paste this/leave one word/etc. to show support for [blank] cause/show me that you care" or some such similar stupidity? I know Facebook trades on people who need constant stroking, but this is so stupid...

God, I hate those. My mom does it from time to time. No, I don't copy that shit or Like it or acknowledge in any way.
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

All the time.

There must be a rule that single middle aged women have to post that shit along with inspirational aphorisms on a regular basis.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

It’s from the lack of dick.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I loathe that with every fiber of my being.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I prefer the example given here to the ones where they don't tell you what it is until the end. I've thought my friends got some terrible fucking news only to realize it's one of those cut and paste things. I almost immediately unfollow.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote:Do your Facebook friends ever post cut-and-paste crap like, "I wonder how many people will/ or I know most people don't read long posts, but I'm asking my real friends to cut and paste this/leave one word/etc. to show support for [blank] cause/show me that you care" or some such similar stupidity? I know Facebook trades on people who need constant stroking, but this is so stupid...

Even worse are the "95% of Americans will get this question wrong..." It's clickbait, people! Stop responding and forwarding! Really, I'm just jealous that people are making money off of idiots responding and forwarding this shit, and I'm not smart enough or have the initiative to exploit this.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Giff wrote:I prefer the example given here to the ones where they don't tell you what it is until the end. I've thought my friends got some terrible fucking news only to realize it's one of those cut and paste things. I almost immediately unfollow.

a friend from college posted something that I thought was one these but ended up being an "I'm no longer with my husband / fallen in love / got knocked up by a younger man (she's 44)" stories.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote:

Even worse are the "95% of Americans will get this question wrong..." It's clickbait, people! Stop responding and forwarding! Really, I'm just jealous that people are making money off of idiots responding and forwarding this shit, and I'm not smart enough or have the initiative to exploit this.

"Name a country that doesn't have the letter "A" in it"

I get shit like that all the time.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, I actually burned some energy explaining clickbait to a friend that was fairly regularly sharing her results on those quizzes. I did it privately so as not to be a dick.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"Only people from (insert city/country name) will ace this quiz!"
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Pruitt wrote:"Only people from (insert city/country name) will ace this quiz!"

That reminds me of one of my biggest pet peeves currently. I'm a member of a "foodies" (for lack of a better term) group that discusses restaurants/bars in our suburb and surrounding areas. Once a day there's a post that starts "I'm from [insert state/geographical area] and I know there's no good [insert type of food here], but can someone recommend something comparable?"

Yeah lady, there's no good pizza in the fourth largest city in America as well as one of the most diverse counties in nation.

There's also a constant picture followed by a "Where Am I?" Hey man, that burger looks amazing, but I'm not playing a game to figure out where you are and I'm not going to check back later, so you really probably just cost that local business owner a visit. Or, hey idiot, the glass of beer you just took a picture of has the name of the bar on it.

It's creeping into hate follow, but it is a cool site because a lot of the owners are members of the group and have taken a lot of critiques to make positive changes or discovered something their kitchen was doing wrong.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Nah, dude, you're wrong. You can't get good pizza south of NYC. Ask Loma.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Can't find a good bakery nowhere. I'm from Michigan and really miss the Rye breads, the cannolis, the jelly donuts. Lol
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Not really ridiculous, but someone I know posted this morning about their cat getting hit by a car last night. The cat's name was, of course, "Lucky".

You have no idea how difficult it is to not make the painfully obvious joke, but I'm trying to take the high road.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DaveInSeattle wrote:Not really ridiculous, but someone I know posted this morning about their cat getting hit by a car last night. The cat's name was, of course, "Lucky".

You have no idea how difficult it is to not make the painfully obvious joke, but I'm trying to take the high road.

I see what you did there...
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Friend of mine - single woman, 54 years old (the demographic that constantly posts aphorisms) posted this quote:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcpmO-sHvUu/

You don't need an English degree to realize that anyone who posts this is worthy of scorn.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I think about half the "quotes" you see on Facebook are not correctly attributed.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote:I think about half the "quotes" you see on Facebook are not correctly attributed.

"God damned right dude!" - William The Conqueror
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Bunnies are the best pets! They always keep me eating fresh too since we share veggies!

Oh just fuck off.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

You should’ve posted a recipe for hassenpfeffer.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Or a video from SERE school where they kill the bunny.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Tangent to this thread.

Girls on Instagram who decide to make a post with a wall of text relating to some confidence building aspect or saying "my [chronic illness] has been flaring up lately," but being nearly naked and posing seductively while doing it are just about the pinnacle of absurd and superficial. As if anyone is following you because of your daily struggle with your ailment.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

"I'm going to Waco to attend a graduation. Can anyone recommend some must-try places?"

"I like to stop at the Cracker Barrel in Bryan, perfect weather for some checkers by the fire."

So, A) you recommend a chain restaurant in a city literally 89 miles away from the requested city that we have in our own town and B) you play checkers by the fire at Cracker Barrel so now I feel bad for making fun of someone with an obvious brain injury.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote:"I'm going to Waco to attend a graduation. Can anyone recommend some must-try places?"

"I like to stop at the Cracker Barrel in Bryan, perfect weather for some checkers by the fire."

So, A) you recommend a chain restaurant in a city literally 89 miles away from the requested city that we have in our own town and B) you play checkers by the fire at Cracker Barrel so now I feel bad for making fun of someone with an obvious brain injury.

You should now tell them that the Olive Garden is great for dinner, and maybe the Denny's for lunch. (Really, any chain restaurants.)
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote:
Giff wrote:"I'm going to Waco to attend a graduation. Can anyone recommend some must-try places?"

You should now tell them that the Olive Garden is great for dinner, and maybe the Denny's for lunch. (Really, any chain restaurants.)

I said "You can't miss the McDonald's in Marlin!"
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Hopefully everyone piled on with various chain restaurants after that.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Johnnie wrote:Hopefully everyone piled on with various chain restaurants after that.

No, it got lost in a sea of actual recommendations within Waco. Which actually has some really good spots and an In-n-Out.