Cord cutting?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by sancarlos »

Jerloma wrote:Does anyone have DirecTV Now?

I have DirectTV and would like to reduce my cost. What would be the benefit of streaming DirecTV Now instead of regular DirecTV?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

govmentchedda wrote:Yeah it does, playa. At least it does in Hillsborough county.

That's odd cos I looked at their homepage yesterday and it wasn't listed
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

sancarlos wrote:
Jerloma wrote:Does anyone have DirecTV Now?

I have DirectTV and would like to reduce my cost. What would be the benefit of streaming DirecTV Now instead of regular DirecTV?

It depends on your costs but the most basic package is $35 and that comes with 60 live channels and 20,000 on demand titles. BUT, if you have an AT&T wireless plan, it's only $10 a month for that package.

I'm still trying to figure out the deal with the Sunday Ticket app though. The internet says DirecTV sattelite customers are not eligible for it and the lady at DirecTV I spoke to last night said ONLY DirecTV satellite customers can get it. The latter makes no sense though. You would just get it via satellite if that were the case.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Baloney wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:Yeah it does, playa. At least it does in Hillsborough county.

Availability changes with your ZIP code, I believe.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Dave from Paterson
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Dave from Paterson »

I'm pretty new to Kodi and XBMC types. I have Sports Devil installed but am having no luck finding hockey content. Do you guys recommend any alternative(s)?
"Look mommy, there's an aeroplane up in the sky."

Formerly 'Denis Lemieux', then 'Denis', now just Dave from Paterson because that's what Jeezus intended for me to use.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

govmentchedda wrote:
Baloney wrote:

Availability changes with your ZIP code, I believe.

What are you running it on? I looked into this yesterday and a Firestick is not a supported device, it'll work on my laptop but I'd have to cat to the TV
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I usually Chromecast it from my Pixel phone, but sometimes Chromecast it from my iPad.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Speaking of chromecast, does anyone else have the chromecast not see the wifi periodically? I restart the router and it works fine, but just wondering if it's the wifi or the chromecast itself.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Yes, I had that with my original Chromecast. I got a second Chromecast for signing up for YouTubeTV, and it works much better.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Rush2112 wrote:Speaking of chromecast, does anyone else have the chromecast not see the wifi periodically? I restart the router and it works fine, but just wondering if it's the wifi or the chromecast itself.

I had that issue, but I moved the problematic one to the TV right next to the router, and bought a newer one for the TV in the basement.

Has any one else tried the fubo app/site? I signed up for their free trial, and it works pretty well, but when I try to "cast" to my TV the resolution goes all to hell. One my computer it looks fine though.
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

greetings and salutations from the jersey frozen tundra.

the missus has finally come to see the light... fuck cablevision (but not for the internet, although likely putting in my own modem)

what's the better option? i claim no real knowledge here. she thinks the firestick the way to go. i know with a good HD antenna, i can pick up the NYC stations.. but what about the rest? don't really care about sports other than futbol (even if i did win the fantasy football league this year) .. already have netflix on the xbox. the tv is 'smart'

anyone able to point me in the right direction for some edumacation?

many thanks my imaginary brethren.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Reading from the beginning of the thread is a pretty good lesson in how quickly things change. Just switched over to the "everything but HBO and SHO" package on PS Vue, which includes Bruins, Red Sox, and Celtics games. Saving over $100/mo. Doing it through PS4 on the main TV, Apple TV and PS3 upstairs. Well aware that Apple TV is pricey and kind of unnecessary, but It Just Works™ and now I want it downstairs too.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So what's your total monthly cost now, including internet?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Xfinity internet + PS Vue Elite + Netflix is $162.

Xfinity bundle with extra channel packages + Netflix was $267

EDIT: Accurate numbers
Last edited by Ryan on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

There must be some weird location stuff at play because I have internet + cable w/ HBO + Showtime + netflix for $160. A friend in PA was paying over $250.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

$191 for HD Preferred Plus bundle ("Blast!" internet, cable plus HBO, and phone)
$12 for Showtime
$9 for Sports Entertainment Pack (Red Zone + regional college garbage)
$17 for service and equipment to an additional TV (fuck you)
$13 in rights fees and whatnot
$11 in more franchise fees and 9/11 Fee (We Will Make You Literally Never Forget)

The dick is free

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I'm at about 105 for ps vue middle plan Netflix and internet. We got a sweet internet deal. 40 bucks a month for 100 down speed. No expiration date on price.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Also, you can't due Vue on xbox I don't think but it works on apple and amazon. there is a roku app but it blows donkey dongs.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That's part of my hesitation to even bother. Even if it saves a little money, would the effort and occasional glitches make it not worth it overall?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:That's part of my hesitation to even bother. Even if it saves a little money, would the effort and occasional glitches make it not worth it overall?

I have had very few glitches with ps4 and ps3. amazon a few, but not much and way better once I changed internet providers. roku I may take into a field Office Space-style
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

A_B wrote:
mister d wrote:That's part of my hesitation to even bother. Even if it saves a little money, would the effort and occasional glitches make it not worth it overall?

I have had very few glitches with ps4 and ps3. amazon a few, but not much and way better once I changed internet providers. roku I may take into a field Office Space-style

I always seem to have random annoyances with watch ESPN/netflix/hulu/whatever and I have gigabit internet with google

I called directv when my contract expired and told them I was going to google. I'm paying <$100 a month right now for it and it'll be like $120 for the six months of baseball when I buy the baseball package this spring. internet is $70 (I could pay < half for 1/10th the speed, so I choose to splurge here) and it's a write off as a work expense, so I'm ok with that. anything around $175 a month is easily doable. and necessary given my job.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

ETA I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but it's worth repeating again. having TV through traditional satellite/cable is absolutely imperative to me given that I'm typically watching sports with a second or third or seventh screen. It's bad enough when people tweet things 10 seconds before they happen on TV. But when Twitter is 30 seconds or more ahead? Nope. I can't keep having my life spoiled for me like that.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Is anyone insisting that Bronto cut the cord?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Via private message. He's resisting.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Brontoburglar wrote:ETA I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but it's worth repeating again. having TV through traditional satellite/cable is absolutely imperative to me given that I'm typically watching sports with a second or third or seventh screen. It's bad enough when people tweet things 10 seconds before they happen on TV. But when Twitter is 30 seconds or more ahead? Nope. I can't keep having my life spoiled for me like that.

I'm riding this train as well. DirecTV & and my municipal 1GB broadband costs me $170. Did just sign up for Netflix a couple weeks ago so I'll see if my habits change.

Until then, I like sitting down and scrolling through channels. DirecTV, I hate you but I just can't quit you...
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

$77/mo internet service
$35/mo YouTubeTV
~$6/mo TOTAL $140/yr NHL.tv (I split this with Oiler)
$11/mo NETFLIX
$9/mo HULU
TOTAL $138/mo.

A friend has my Netflix and Hulu passwords, and I have his cable service passwords that allows me to access NBCSports, HBOGo, and any other app or online access that comes along with having Cable.

Our cord cutting consisted of cutting our former bill ~$260/mo which included house phone, cable with HBO and 2 DVRs, and internet, down to the $77 for internet and $35 for YouTubeTV.

*in the process of comprising this post, I noticed that Frontier was still charging me for an unlisted number, and that Netflix was still charging me for a DVD plan. Canceling those saved me ~$12/mo.

ETA - we use Chromecast (one time charge of ~$20 or so) and an old AppleTV that we've had for years, and paid a one time charge of $99 for.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote:$77/mo internet service
$35/mo YouTubeTV
$11/mo NETFLIX
$9/mo HULU
TOTAL $138/mo.

A friend has my Netflix and Hulu passwords, and I have his cable service passwords that allows me to access NBCSports, HBOGo, and any other app or online access that comes along with having Cable.

Our cord cutting consisted of cutting our former bill ~$260/mo which included house phone, cable with HBO and 2 DVRs, and internet, down to the $77 for internet and $35 for YouTubeTV.

*in the process of comprising this post, I noticed that Frontier was still charging me for an unlisted number, and that Netflix was still charging me for a DVD plan. Canceling those saved me ~$12/mo.

ETA - we use Chromecast (one time charge of ~$20 or so) and an old AppleTV that we've had for years, and paid a one time charge of $99 for.

By my reckoning you now owe every semi-active member of the swamp $1.25.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

A_B wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:$77/mo internet service
$35/mo YouTubeTV
$11/mo NETFLIX
$9/mo HULU
TOTAL $138/mo.

By my reckoning you now owe every semi-active member of the swamp $1.25.

Yep. And given compiling all that money he's thrown away it's probably up to $3/mo now. Feel free to send it along. I'm trying to pay it for a wedding here.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Beers on me!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Other than live sports, I watch most of my television via DVR, sometime after original broadcast. My understanding is that cord cutting options don’t allow for this. Am I wrong?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote:Other than live sports, I watch most of my television via DVR, sometime after original broadcast. My understanding is that cord cutting options don’t allow for this. Am I wrong?

That's easier than watching it before the original broadcast.

Most offer some kind of cloud-based DVR. I can watch nearly any cable show I want. As for networks I only currently have ABC available to watch on demand. Used to have NBC but they changed some of the rules so it hasn't been updated in a while. They want you to buy Hulu, which if you watch a lot of NBC/Fox it would be worth it. We just use the computer when we want to watch an NBC show. You sometimes have to sit through commercials, though.
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

seems with an antenna+netflix+ hulu(sling) i should be ok for all channels we watch. BEIN has their own thing. definitely less than what we pay cablevision...
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

sancarlos wrote:Other than live sports, I watch most of my television via DVR, sometime after original broadcast. My understanding is that cord cutting options don’t allow for this. Am I wrong?

YouTubeTV allows unlimited DVR space, but I suggest doing a test run before committing to cutting the cord. The available channels vary greatly depending on your location.

I do like just searching through to see what's on offer and hitting record, and not having to worry about filling up my DVR. I've currently got the system set to record a ton of shows, and it has already recorded a ton of movies, as they've appeared on TV. Commercials are generally included, but you can FF or skip ahead, and I don't really ever have too much time to sit down and watch a whole movie anyway.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Plex also allows you to DVR from an hd antenna.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I don't think plex is user friendly. Unless it's on your device already. Fine for streaming pirated videos. Maybe it's changed in the six months since I used it.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

A_B wrote:I don't think plex is user friendly. Unless it's on your device already. Fine for streaming pirated videos. Maybe it's changed in the six months since I used it.

It has. There was a huge update late summer. I'm also a Plex Pass holder, so yvmv. Lots of channels to get content. We also burned all our DVDs so way easy to access. It has problems with big music collections, but otherwise, i found it really easy to set up and get access via the web or mobile.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

So, if you're looking at a way to cut the cord...

https://deals.kinja.com/save-74-on-the- ... 1823322517
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Anyone use DirecTV NOW? Do you still get access to WatchESPN and other online sports (NBC, Fox)? What about local channels - do you have to use an antenna for those?
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

That reminds me. Does anyone know if there is something like a phone/internet/tv/etc consultant you can use for this shit? I'm 100% sure I'm paying more than I need for this stuff, but comparing services and offers is so fucking hard. They work really hard to not tell you the details on the various offer pages. They just want you to sign up and trust them that what they are offering is what you want.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:23 am Anyone use DirecTV NOW? Do you still get access to WatchESPN and other online sports (NBC, Fox)? What about local channels - do you have to use an antenna for those?
Yes, you will get access to those things.

If you're looking, that deal above is a great thing to start with, so long as they don't tie you into a long contract. Basically get 100 off an apple TV.
Shirley wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:25 am That reminds me. Does anyone know if there is something like a phone/internet/tv/etc consultant you can use for this shit? I'm 100% sure I'm paying more than I need for this stuff, but comparing services and offers is so fucking hard. They work really hard to not tell you the details on the various offer pages. They just want you to sign up and trust them that what they are offering is what you want.

It basically comes down to: are you paying more than $50 for TV and can you live with cloud-based DVR? If so, yes you are paying too much.