The Dude

Science!

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Jerloma
The Dude

Re: Science!

Post by Jerloma »

The lesson as always...I'm way too too dumb for astronomy.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

J-lo did you at least get a laugh out of Kepler-69?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Rush2112 wrote:J-lo did you at least get a laugh out of Kepler-69?
It's funny because of sex! Ha!
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Jerloma wrote:The lesson as always...I'm way too too dumb for astronomy.
Me, too. You blinded me with science. Science!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Fucking awesome.
Animals in the wild have to continually contend with the expansion of human civilization. Certain wild animals have learned to coexist and even thrive in urban settings, pigeons and raccoons being obvious examples.

Well, subway goers in Moscow are becoming familiar with stray dogs. These dogs have become accustomed to using the subway system as a means to travel across Moscow, even managing to catch a nap along the way. The dogs hop on in the morning and travel to the city center where they spend the day begging for scraps. At the end of the day they get back on the subway and travel to the suburbs where they sleep in relative safety.

The dogs have become experts at judging the length of time they need to stay on the train, and seem to work together to ensure that they exit the subway at the right stop.

Scientists believe this phenomenon began after the Soviet Union collapsed in the 1990s, and Russia’s new capitalists moved industrial complexes from the city center to the suburbs.

Dr Andrei Poiarkov, of the Moscow Ecology and Evolution Institute, said: “These complexes were used by homeless dogs as shelters, so the dogs had to move together with their houses. Because the best scavenging for food is in the city center, the dogs had to learn how to travel on the subway – to get to the center in the morning, then back home in the evening, just like people.”
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

That is incredible. A little scary, actually.
Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I'm sort of surprised the Moscow subway runs on schedule enough for the dogs to figure out the routine.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

rass wrote:I'm sort of surprised the Moscow subway runs on schedule enough for the dogs to figure out the routine.
I'm guessing it's not time based. The dogs can recognize the sounds and smells of the right stations. I'm sure they announce the name of the station as they roll in (or they announce the next station as they leave the previous).
Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Shirley wrote:
rass wrote:I'm sort of surprised the Moscow subway runs on schedule enough for the dogs to figure out the routine.
I'm guessing it's not time based. The dogs can recognize the sounds and smells of the right stations. I'm sure they announce the name of the station as they roll in (or they announce the next station as they leave the previous).
I was sort of kidding, sort of serious. On the serious side, my dog definitely has a time based routine based on our regular comings and goings, so I could see something like that happening on the trains, because the dogs do have to (or maybe they don't and we're giving them a bit too much credit) figure out which train to get on in the first place.

ABC News report on the behavior:
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

In a couple of hours, I'm going to walk across town and pay a visit to Wren Library at Trinity College. It looks like this:

What I'm most excited about though is that the library has a first edition of Newton's Principia, quite possibly the greatest work of math and science ever produced. Oh, and not just any first edition. This one was actually Newton's personal copy, and one he filled with hand-written notes to use in making the improved second edition. Pretty cool, no?
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Try not to spill your coffee on it, Shirley.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The library was very cool. They also had a first folio of Shakespeare's works, some hand-written notes of Byron and Farraday, along with the original hand-written version of Winnie The Pooh.

We followed up that visit with lunch at The Eagle, a 350-year-old pub where Crick and Watson famously announced that they had discovered the structure of DNA. Cambridge has some history.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Have you seen Stephen Hawking? I have a friend who is a professor there says they cross paths fairly often.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Shirley wrote:The library was very cool. They also had a first folio of Shakespeare's works, some hand-written notes of Byron and Farraday, along with the original hand-written version of Winnie The Pooh.

We followed up that visit with lunch at The Eagle, a 350-year-old pub where Crick and Watson famously announced that they had discovered the structure of DNA. Cambridge has some history.
That's awesome. I walked the grounds of Oxford last week. We would have preferred to go to Cambridge since my wife spent some time studying there, but it wasn't on the bus tour with Stonehenge and Windsor Castle.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Have you seen Stephen Hawking? I have a friend who is a professor there says they cross paths fairly often.
Not, not rolling around town. But then, most of the streets around the colleges are cobblestone and probably not too fun for him. I'm guessing your friend sees him inside the college (Trinity, I think), and visitors can't see much inside of those.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Shirley wrote:
wlu_lax6 wrote:Have you seen Stephen Hawking? I have a friend who is a professor there says they cross paths fairly often.
Not, not rolling around town. But then, most of the streets around the colleges are cobblestone and probably not too fun for him. I'm guessing your friend sees him inside the college (Trinity, I think), and visitors can't see much inside of those.
Don't know. My dad helped push him across a bridge years and years ago when his chair died and aid was having trouble.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

First trailer for the new Cosmos...

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Jerloma wrote:Image
The best thing was him explaining why the Mariners couldn't hit his sick 12-6 Uncle Charlie.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Jerloma wrote:First trailer for the new Cosmos...

Wow.

Better be a helluva show to live up to that trailer. I think they can do it.
Totally Kafkaesque
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

- I don't like the music or at the very least I hope that's not the new theme music and they were smart enough to keep the classic theme.

- I'm hoping it's not all astronomy and physics. When people start talking quantum theory, my puny little brain goes awry. I'm hoping they include some terrestrial happenings.

- Was that Jesus at 1:11?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote:- I don't like the music or at the very least I hope that's not the new theme music and they were smart enough to keep the classic theme.

- I'm hoping it's not all astronomy and physics. When people start talking quantum theory, my puny little brain goes awry. I'm hoping they include some terrestrial happenings.

- Was that Jesus at 1:11?

Duh. Who else ascended into the heavens?

(two people, but they don't merit that, probs.)
Scottie
Donny

Don't let the Termination Shock Zone hit you on the...

Post by Scottie »

Optical Calibration Target Plate . . . on your way out. (Redux!)

Original thread from unswamp

Okay. This time, this time Elvis has really left the building: NASA's Voyager 1 spacecraft officially is the first human-made object to venture into interstellar space. The 36-year-old probe is about 12 billion miles (19 billion kilometers) from our sun.

Today's announcement from NASA

It still amazes me how incredible an accomplishment this is. It still appalls me how little attention it receives.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

There's probably some sentient society out there that is all "WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT THING?!?!?!?"
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

It's about time, Voyager!
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

In interstellar space but still in solar system

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/stop-s ... lar-system" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

So I was reading an article about my high school and ended up reading the Wiki page. Of the four named "famous" alums, I saw a good friends older brother listed. He was 2 years older, so I didn't know him all that well, but he was part of the team that created the first fermionic condensate. For those ignorant dullards out there, that is the 6th state of matter. Who the hell knew there was more than just gas, liquid and solid?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Plasma. And Bose-Einstein. I only got to five.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

howard wrote:Plasma. And Bose-Einstein. I only got to five.
Right, I did know plasma. Fermionic is apparently very similar to Bose-Einstein. At least according to the interwebz.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I remember bose because of bosons. And those, I remember only because of this:

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I learned about plasma being the fourth state of matter from They Might Be Giants.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

There's a new disease killing a shitload of starfish in the Pacific that gives them legions that cause their arms to twist into knots until they rip off of their bodies and then walk away in the opposite direction.

ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

Poor Patrick. :(
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Steve of phpBB wrote:I learned about plasma being the fourth state of matter from They Might Be Giants.
Great for Middle Eastern geography as well.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
howard
Karl Hungus

Network IT Science

Post by howard »

U.S. regulators plan car-to-car communications to prevent accidents

I had to run up to Boston on Friday afternoon to meet my business partners. I drive pretty fast on the highway. As I was coming back Saturday night, doing about 90mph, it occurred to me that the days of speeding like this are numbered. I think 2017 is way optimistic; it will take longer than three years, even if Google does it.

Good to set standards and for the FCC to set aside some bandwidth.

Edit: linked to a better article. And to add words.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Car One: "I am a 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan travelling Northeast at 95 MPH weaving in and out of traffic. Warning: I am a stolen vehicle that is being operated by a severely intoxicated unemployed Russian attempting to escape the mafia."

Car Two: "I am a 1998 Honda Accord being driven by a Chinese female."

Car One: "Oh, shit!"
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Speeding isn't numbered in Germany. This country got something right. It's liberating to be able to do 130 in "no limit" zones on roads that have zero billboards and wind enough to never be boring.

The fact that America dedicates law enforcement to long stretches of road where potentially only you are driving is just absurd. But then again, it's absurd that everything is closed on Sunday here because Germans take their rest days seriously.
Last edited by Johnnie on Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie wrote:Spreading isn't numbered in Germany. This country got something right. It's liberating to be able to do 130 in "no limit" zones on roads that have zero billboards and wind enough to never be boring.

The fact that America dedicates law enforcement to long stretches of road where potentially only you are driving is just absurd. But then again, it's absurd that everything is closed on Sunday here because Germans take their rest days seriously.
Hey, all that efficiency comes at a price.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!