Breaking Bad

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: Breaking Bad

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I won't make any guesses/predictions on where this is going, but wow that was an intense, crazy episode.

And some seriously "A-Team" level of marksmanship during the last scene.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

DaveInSeattle wrote:And some seriously "A-Team" level of marksmanship during the last scene.
Two guys, standing with no cover, with a pistol and a shotgun, facing four dudes w/cars for cover and all that iron, yeah. But repeat to myself, 'it's just a show; you should really just relax'.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

howard wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:And some seriously "A-Team" level of marksmanship during the last scene.
Two guys, standing with no cover, with a pistol and a shotgun, facing four dudes w/cars for cover and all that iron, yeah. But repeat to myself, 'it's just a show; you should really just relax'.
I thought that when I wondered where Hank got the money for the "Money in the barrel" cell phone pix...
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I was surprised that walter got outsmarted that soundly so quickly. But at least it was on the one thing that caused him to act irrationally throughout the series.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Weatherfrog
Maude Lebowski

Post by Weatherfrog »

howard wrote:
That one skin head had an AA12. Such a sick weapon. He coulda taken out hank and gome by himself. Lots of bad marksmanship.

That whole last scene was just so intense though. I just kept saying to myself, " the skinheads are coming."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I thought the shootout missing was a bit ridiculous as well until I saw a quick clip again of the scene. It wasn't nearly as close or open as it first appeared. Check the following two pics.

Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

brian wrote:I have an idea the last three episodes are going to involve Walt trying to redeem himself (but ultimately failing).

I think Walt and Jesse survive the shootout while Hank and Gomie die.
Walt convinces the Nazis to let Jesse live and in return becomes indebted to them.
Walt betrays them in some way (destroying the rest of the methlaymine?)
This results in them retaliating against him (why/how his home gets destroyed?) likely resulting in the death of his family.
The flash-forwards we've seen with Mr. Lambert and the retrieval of the ricin are the final act of a dying, vengeful man with nothing to lose. (If I had to bet I would guess the ricin is actually for himself. Win or lose at the end, I imagine he plans on killing himself).

How/where does Jesse fare in that scenario? I have no idea. My personal hope is that he somehow gets away and starts over somewhere. More than just about all of the characters, I think he deserves a chance at redemption.
I agree with all of this, but I think Jesse dies (not immediately, but eventually). Especially the bolded part. He's going out on his own terms and not the cancer's.

He becomes indebted and then at some point has to get away and get some heavy weaponry. Comes back, avenges all who has killed his family, and kills himself out of guilt?

Plus, I'm still buying onto the theory that he takes on an aspect of everyone who's death he's responsible for. So Jesse's green jacket and using Skyler's maiden name (Lambert) as his own is so striking. (Then you have the neighbor's reaction flash forward.)
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Why would he kill himself with ricin as opposed to just a bullet? Too proud to have anyone think that he killed himself?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I don't see any way that he'd kill himself with ricin. That's an awful way to go and it would take days. Maybe the ricin is for Lydia? She does love her tea and she can't get through all of this unscathed.
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote:I have an idea the last three episodes are going to involve Walt trying to redeem himself (but ultimately failing).

I think Walt and Jesse survive the shootout while Hank and Gomie die.
Walt convinces the Nazis to let Jesse live and in return becomes indebted to them.
Walt betrays them in some way (destroying the rest of the methlaymine?)
This results in them retaliating against him (why/how his home gets destroyed?) likely resulting in the death of his family.
The flash-forwards we've seen with Mr. Lambert and the retrieval of the ricin are the final act of a dying, vengeful man with nothing to lose. (If I had to bet I would guess the ricin is actually for himself. Win or lose at the end, I imagine he plans on killing himself).

How/where does Jesse fare in that scenario? I have no idea. My personal hope is that he somehow gets away and starts over somewhere. More than just about all of the characters, I think he deserves a chance at redemption.

All makes sense, but I think that after everything that's happened, there can be no redemption.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Breaking Bad spinoff "Better Call Saul" is officially a thing. Though note that the show is a prequel.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Catching up on Grantland podcasts and the point is made on Simmons' podcast with Andy Greenwald: Dean Norris (Hank) made the rounds at ESPN and even has a Grantland interview himself with Chris Ryan. So it's looking like Hank dies just because.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I tried to slog my way through the Andy Greenwald and Chris Ryan podcast this week, and just couldn't do it. Like listening to a thirty year old, hipster, Chris Berman guffawing with his doppelgänger in bad jokes mate.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Weatherfrog
Maude Lebowski

Post by Weatherfrog »

Agreed. I don't mind the articles, but that podcast is terrible. They sound like NPR reject bin.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Anyone catch this Jimmy Fallon skit? It's excellent.

kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

brian wrote:Breaking Bad spinoff "Better Call Saul" is officially a thing. Though note that the show is a prequel.
I really hope David Cross finds a way on to that show.
mini puke to 1,558
howard
Karl Hungus

I'm digging the Meth Damon

Post by howard »

"Let's cook!"

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Re: I'm digging the Meth Damon

Post by vandwagon »

howard wrote:"Let's cook!"
Todd is terrifying.
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

Ever the protector, Walt knows the police are on the line. He blames Skyler, rips her, knowing all along that there are others listening in - he's showing the authorities that it's all him (and only him).
mini puke to 1,558
Weatherfrog
Maude Lebowski

Re: I'm digging the Meth Damon

Post by Weatherfrog »

vandwagon wrote:
howard wrote:"Let's cook!"
Todd is terrifying.
Just another example of this show pushing the limits with trying to make you hate the good guys and love the bad guys.

Who among us wasn't kind of pissed off at Walt Jr for calling the cops? Even though that was totally the right thing to do!

At least Hank died with dignity.
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

kranepool wrote:Ever the protector, Walt knows the police are on the line. He blames Skyler, rips her, knowing all along that there are others listening in - he's showing the authorities that it's all him (and only him).
That didn't cross my mind at all when I watched it. That rant seemed so out of character for him though. Makes perfect sense.
Last edited by vandwagon on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

vandwagon wrote:
kranepool wrote:Ever the protector, Walt knows the police are on the line. He blames Skyler, rips her, knowing all along that there are others listening in - he's showing the authorities that it's all him (and only him).
That didn't cross my mind at all when I watched it. That rant seemed so out of character for him though. Makes perfect sense.
Yeah me either.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

vandwagon wrote:
Felt really stupid last night.

Show ends and I turn to my wife and say that that's it - no way Walt can ever have contact with his family again. Started to ramble about Walt's evil etc.

Wife looks at me like I was a six year old and calmly explains how Walt had to know the cops were listening in and what he did was saved Skyler from jail, and even made it so Marie would one day forgive her, thus saving the remnants of his family.

I felt really dumb.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Giff wrote:
vandwagon wrote:
Yeah me either.
Mamaduff called it right away. I thought he was just being a complete assbag.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I was starting to think for a second that the ricin was for the baby. That's how crazy this show is. I actually thought that Walt would poison his baby daughter.

So what's the deal with Jesse all slaved up in the meth lab with Walt coming in behind him? Is that a foreshadow?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote:I was starting to think for a second that the ricin was for the baby. That's how crazy this show is. I actually thought that Walt would poison his baby daughter.

So what's the deal with Jesse all slaved up in the meth lab with Walt coming in behind him? Is that a foreshadow?
That was Todd, I'm positive.

Walt taking the fall was pretty well done. It took me a second, but when she apologized I realized he was giving her an out.

The Gun is to rescue jesse, where he poisons all the neo nazis with the ricin a la Gus at the mexican ranch. Then shot mentioned above is indeed foreshadowing the above when Walt comes up behind Jesse to start cooking again.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

So when Walt pointed out Jesse to them in the desert to have them killed, did he know that Todd was going to stop them?
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

So, because I caught that Walt on the phone was speaking to the cops, in order to exonerate Skyler, does that make me a suburban housewife?

Nice gratuitous calling Skyler a bitch, as a bone thrown to all the Skyler haters.

Walt wrote off Jessie, irrevocably. J, he did not know Todd would keep Jessie alive; once he told Jessie about Jane, that was it. Walt will not change course and try to rescue Jessie. IMO.

I am mildly annoyed that the Lydia subplot has not been advanced, leaving a lot of ground to cover in just two episodes. As she said, 'a lot of moving pieces'. I fear they will have to rush to catch up on that, yet expect they will use her in a clever and unexpected manner.

I see Todd emerging as the new Heisenberg; and Walt's last act, after extracting revenge on the rest of the skinheads, to destroy any successor to the Heisenberg throne.

What an episode.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Another excellent episode.

I'm glad you guys are much more intuitive then me. I didn't read that the way Walt was acting was to keep Skylar out of it. But it makes all the sense in the world.

So does AB's point with the ricin. Gilligan likes to throwback to previous scenes and all of the nazis dying would be symmetrical to the Mexican ranch.

I was hoping we'd get to see Saul's guy, but we didn't. Oh well.

Lastly, seeing Gomez dead almost immediately was kinda anticlimactic.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The subtext of Walter's berating of Skyler was that he was finally getting everything he ever wanted about how she dominated his life and turned him into a meek little man off his chest.

As an aside, this is why they cast someone tall enough with fairly broad shoulders - for a woman - who essentially towers over Walt when wearing even the shortest of heels to be his wife. Skyler dominates him in all aspects of his life, deciding everything for the family and even literally looking down on Walt when standing face to face (even physically, as illustrated last night when Walt had to struggle so hard to disarm her) and he finally got to tell her off... and she still won't realize he's doing (putting the needs of her and the family first).

Walt telling Jesse about watching Jane die was Walt's way of twisting the knife for being ratted out. He'd already told them to kill him.

Should the machine gun be to save Jesse, I'm expecting something to fail on the plausibility scale along the way. Saul is very bottom line about how calling the vacuum repair guy being a final stroke and an absolute disconnection from your life. He's always given in to Walt's wishes, but he's going to be the bridge to coming back and getting the gun. After all, how will Walt even find out Jesse's current status as a meth-making slave?

Another possibility for the machine gun? Saving Walt's remaining family members. After all, Marie knows Jesse spilled his guts about Walt. All Jesse has to do is mention Hank's wife in any way as it pertains to his video confession. The skinheads may want to make sure all loose ends are tied up. That means Skyler and Walt Jr., too, as the next step on that path.

Also, since they happened over the break between episodes, it'll be forgotten that even "Breaking Bad" fell to some TV/movie stereotypes. Minority in a small role dies (Gomie). Good guy dies right after calling his wife after solving the big case (Hank).
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I'm sorry...I think I missed the machine gun thing. What is that about?
Minority in a small role dies (Gomie)
It's New Mexico...he's practically the majority.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Jerloma wrote:I'm sorry...I think I missed the machine gun thing. What is that about?
First episode of the season, Walt's 52nd birthday, he's back in New Mexico at a diner (with a New Hampshire driver's license in his wallet), buying a machine gun, which is in the truck of a car.
Jerloma wrote:
Minority in a small role dies (Gomie)
It's New Mexico...he's practically the majority.
Did you miss the "TV/movie stereotype" part?
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Wow.

That phone call scene was incredible. Like most of you, at first I thought he was sincere, but it was confusing, because the tone didn't really match him. Also, the things he said didn't quite make sense with what we know is the truth. It took me a few sentences, but I picked up on what he was going for. It was incredible to see where Skyler realized it as well. There's that long pause and then she says "I'm sorry," playing along with the cowed wife theme. Then we got a great shot of Walt on the other end, and you can see in his face that he knows she gets what he's doing. And I think there, it actually becomes a bit harder for him to go on - because he loves her more for understanding his ruse and playing along. He's saving her and she knows it.

Great writing and acting.

So, after it all, I was thinking that obviously the big gun and the ricin are for Walt to come back and rescue the last member of his "family" - Jesse. But then I remembered that Walt doesn't know that Jesse is alive, much less an enslaved cook. Maybe he finds out later? But then, why does Walt not implicate Jack and Friendz either when he has the fight with Skyler and Walt Jr. or later on the phone with the cops? He says, or at least strongly implies, that HE killed Hank. Why not at least lessen the awful truth by pointing out that he wasn't the one who killed Hank?

I think it's because he already knew that he was coming back for revenge. As soon as he left in that leaky black car, he knew that he was going to use the money to disappear and then come back one day to avenge Hank and Walt's $70mm. He didn't work that hard and destroy his family to let those inbreds take his money scot free.

No, the gun is for the Nazis, not for rescue. The question is whether he finds out that Jesse is there or not before he goes in. I suspect that after a year of cooling off, he will be back to caring for Jesse. He won't want to see him dead or enslaved. Granted, I doubt Jesse will really want to give him a big hug after a year in chains, but whatever.

BTW, I can't believe Skyler allowed Marie to be there when she told Walt Jr. That is NOT the time to have the hostile sister around.

How long until Sunday?
Totally Kafkaesque
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Shirley wrote:Wow.

I suspect that after a year of cooling off…
This is a factor that I had forgotten to consider. How much time passes before the occasion of the flash-forward, when he gets the machine gun and he marks his 52nd birthday.

A year. A long time, lots can happen.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

howard wrote:
Shirley wrote:Wow.

I suspect that after a year of cooling off…
This is a factor that I had forgotten to consider. How much time passes before the occasion of the flash-forward, when he gets the machine gun and he marks his 52nd birthday.

A year. A long time, lots can happen.
I think I may have overcounted there. He celebrated his 51st a little while ago on the show, so it's probably more like 6 months or so. Definitely plenty of time for Walt to put together a plan. Think there will be any of his $69mm left? Probably not. But then, they are still getting paid by the Czechs too, so maybe he will have some money to steal.

On the other hand ... I don't think Walt walks away. He already lost his family and probably for good. He cut them loose with that phone call - although that probably actually ignited in Skyler a pilot light of potential redemption. Walt Jr's passions will cool, so maybe there's a chance. But then, he'll be a wanted man, so they still would have to make a run for it.

No, I think the happy family ending is impossible. Not going to happen. I think Walt will go back solely for revenge - possibly with the intention of getting his money back for Skyler, Holly (when she asked for "mama", that melted Walt's cold heart) and Flynn. He'll find Jesse chained up there and he'll sacrifice himself for Jesse. Jesse deserves to live and I have to think this show will give us that. I hope so.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The "Mama Mama" scene was improvised by the baby....
Did the script really say: "HOLLY: [cries] Mama! Mama!"? Because that baby delivered.
Walley-Beckett: We got very, very lucky, didn’t we Rian? We got lucky because that was a shaky moment for the baby. It’s a stressful situation for little kids. It was not scripted. She was looking at her mom off-stage and started saying that at the exact moment where it is scripted that Walt has a pang that this is morally reprehensible to do this to his daughter, to deprive her of a normal life. And this little baby just started looking at mom and we just rolled.
Johnson: The baby’s mom was like three feet away, right next to the camera. The baby was not actually screaming for her mother. As scripted it was just going to be this beautiful powerful moment where Walt looks at her. He brings her up to eye level and looks into her eyes and has that realization. I remember we were gathered around the monitor and he raises her and up and she started saying "mama," and we all just looked at each other.
Walley-Beckett: Rian just let it roll, and Bryan went with it.
Johnson: That’s the other thing. In that situation, Bryan is really the one doing the directing because the way that he shapes the performance between himself and the baby is really about the way he handles her and plays off of her. In terms of emotional beats of that scene it’s really Bryan who is doing the directing there. He did a fantastic job.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

That baby deserves an emmy. The scene when skylar is trying to get her from walt in the car she starts crying at just the right moment, too.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I meant to post that. Director deserves the Emmy, imo. And, there was a classic SNL skit around the idea of 'stunt baby'. I cannot find video, just this link to a script/transcript: http://snltranscripts.jt.org/77/77fstunt.phtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I just got goosebumps reading that. That's incredible. Utterly amazing. The right moment in the right scene of the right TV series and that happens organically? Serendipity and then some.

(Now I've been watching Dexter when I haven't been watching Breaking Bad. Coincidentally, last week's episode featured one of the worst scenes in the history of the show. It's not even close. This is also the farewell season. That was also the pen-penultimate episode. The scene also featured the child of the main character. But watch. Ridiculousness. Also, that scene is a microcosm of the season much like that "mama mama" scene for this one's.)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Maybe worth noting that the title of this latest episode -- "Ozymandias" is a poem written by Shelley about the downfall of kings.
I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!