Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Re: Movies

Post by Square Rob »

Next we watch 'The Post'. Haven't gone back to back in a theater since my gay cabaret days. Hayyyy-o.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

The Post was also enjoyable! 3B will leave me with a lot more to think about, but both films were quite good.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:44 pm The ghostbusters remake sucked. Just a shitty script. Bad.
Oh my God, what a piece of shit. The script, the direction, the acting, all of it.

Mind you, my wife and I turned it off after just over an hour.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

It really was, and I wanted to like it! Saddest part was that after all of the controversy and MRA bullshit around the film, and all of the female talent involved on screen, a male character was by far the funniest.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Battle Of The Sexes is okay. I thought the Swamp's favorite zombie killer was playing Margaret Court but then I looked up the cast and it is not her.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Jerloma wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:18 am Battle Of The Sexes is okay. I thought the Swamp's favorite zombie killer was playing Margaret Court but then I looked up the cast and it is not her.
Solid acting but just not that good a script.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Oh man I hope this is real and not a fucking Super Bowl joke or something (though speaking of which the Taco Bell fries/conspiracy thing was pretty well done):

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

rass wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:27 am Oh man I hope this is real and not a fucking Super Bowl joke or something (though speaking of which the Taco Bell fries/conspiracy thing was pretty well done):

Everything I have read is that this is joke. The way Hollywood works I would find it hard to believe that if it was real folks would not have been talking about it.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

It may be a joke, but in a year when over $100 million was spent on The Emoji Movie and a new transformers movie, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Dare I say it - the original movie was garbage anyway, so if this is real, it's probably going to be the best one in the franchise anyway.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

THe Oscars nominated a pretty good field in most categories, IMO.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Jerloma wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:18 am Battle Of The Sexes is okay. I thought the Swamp's favorite zombie killer was playing Margaret Court but then I looked up the cast and it is not her.
I thought it was 'meh'....ok, but Emma Stone played King like too much of a pushover. Everything I've ever read about Billie Jean King was that she was a fierce competitor, and I never got that feeling from Stone's performance.

Steve Carrell was fantastic as Bobby Riggs though.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A_B wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:01 am THe Oscars nominated a pretty good field in most categories, IMO.
I know it's silly, but given how many times I've heard Kumail and Emily tell their story on various podcasts, it feels like two of my friends got nominated (Best Original Screenplay).
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I remain stunned at the critical love for Get Out though. Feels like an Academy overreaction to #OscarsSoWhite still. Though if anyone is going to be a beneficiary of that I'm glad it's Jordan Peele.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:08 pm I remain stunned at the critical love for Get Out though. Feels like an Academy overreaction to #OscarsSoWhite still. Though if anyone is going to be a beneficiary of that I'm glad it's Jordan Peele.
You're probably right. I think it definitely deserved screenplay recognition, and maybe Kaluuya, but it isn't winning best picture I don't think.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Has anyone seen 3 Billboards? Seems like its getting the backlash treatment...like LaLaLand did last year.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:34 pm Has anyone seen 3 Billboards? Seems like its getting the backlash treatment...like LaLaLand did last year.
I don't know if I've talked to anyone who actually liked it. Everyone I know who saw it said it sucked.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Had Danny McBride played any character but his one character from vice principles/eastbound and down/This is the End besides his role as Martin in The Heartbreak Kid.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Get Out was the first movie I've ever watched in a theater where, when it was over, I said "Damn, I wish I was able to watch it with more people in here." I saw a matinee with like 9 people.

For that alone the movie was special.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

brian wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:35 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:34 pm Has anyone seen 3 Billboards? Seems like its getting the backlash treatment...like LaLaLand did last year.
I don't know if I've talked to anyone who actually liked it. Everyone I know who saw it said it sucked.

Spoilers below

I loved it. But I also understand why people would hate it. The part that I think people are missing, is that his films never exist in reality. They exist in a reality very similar to ours, but it's more like the gain (in electrical terms) on human emotions and reactions has been turned up a notch. When it took place in a different country it was less noticeable to us. The open ended ending does not help at all, but again, I don't think that's the story the film is telling.

I get the criticism of Sam Rockwell's character arc. I do. But I also think people are granting him retribution that the film doesn't. They are forcing their own ending into it. An ending the film explicitly doesn't go into.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I want to see a Best Picture nom this weekend. I already saw Get Out and Dunkirk. I'm leaning towards Lady Bird, but I can be talked into something else. Any suggs?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Haven't seen it but a few people have told me The Post is phenomenal.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Shape of Water is on my list. I'll watch anything with del Toro's name on it.
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:35 am Shape of Water is on my list. I'll watch anything with del Toro's name on it.
My wife saw it; said it was very good. That would be my recommendation
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Saw I, Tonya last night. Went to it expecTing to not like it but damn, it was tremendous.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:35 am Shape of Water is on my list. I'll watch anything with del Toro's name on it.
Just mentioned it on the Netflix thread, but his kids' series Trollhunters is quite good. Follows the usual tropes, but the characters are well done and the animation is excellent.

Bearing in mind that it is written for 10 year olds.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Just home from seeing The Post. Pretty good, but got the feeling that both Hanks and Streep could have played those roles in their sleep. Bob Odenkirk was great though...and we barely recognized Alison Brie as Graham's daughter.

ETA: Why does EVERY movie with a Vietnam scene use CCR as the soundtrack? It must have to do with the totally screwed up licensing for CCR songs, which makes them laughably cheap to use.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:01 am
Just mentioned it on the Netflix thread, but his kids' series Trollhunters is quite good. Follows the usual tropes, but the characters are well done and the animation is excellent.

Bearing in mind that it is written for 10 year olds.
Yeah I'm a fan. Partway though Season 2.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Avram wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:20 pm
My wife saw it; said it was very good. That would be my recommendation
Saw it last night with the wife. There was a skit on SNL where there's a group out at a restaurant and they are struggling mightily to get through treacherous #metoo conversation... At one point, one of the characters says something like "we can all agree there are some major issues with Shape of Water, right?"

It was very funny for us, because we left really liking the movie, but... There are some pretty significant plot holes/contrivances that kind of gnawed on us.

Overall, really enjoyed it.

ETA - The cast is really great and kind of smooths out some of the issues.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Finally saw Dunkirk last night on the plane and was actually a little underwhelmed. I think it was all the hype. It just didn't live up to it to me. Part of the problem was the incessant noise/music in the background. On headphones on a plane, it made it very hard to understand the characters. I turned CC on halfway through and that helped. Still, the movie overall didn't have the impact I expected, I think because there weren't any characters that you really got to know very well.

I also watched War For The Planet of the Apes and I liked that one a lot. Maybe I have lowbrow tastes.
Totally Kafkaesque
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Shirley wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:14 pm Finally saw Dunkirk last night on the plane and was actually a little underwhelmed. I think it was all the hype. It just didn't live up to it to me. Part of the problem was the incessant noise/music in the background. On headphones on a plane, it made it very hard to understand the characters. I turned CC on halfway through and that helped. Still, the movie overall didn't have the impact I expected, I think because there weren't any characters that you really got to know very well.
Same here.

My wife and I watched Dunkirk on TV. I wonder if it would have felt different seeing it on a big screen.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:29 pm
Shirley wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:14 pm Finally saw Dunkirk last night on the plane and was actually a little underwhelmed. I think it was all the hype. It just didn't live up to it to me. Part of the problem was the incessant noise/music in the background. On headphones on a plane, it made it very hard to understand the characters. I turned CC on halfway through and that helped. Still, the movie overall didn't have the impact I expected, I think because there weren't any characters that you really got to know very well.
Same here.

My wife and I watched Dunkirk on TV. I wonder if it would have felt different seeing it on a big screen.
Not really for me. Saw on a big screen, same issues. Probably my age, but found myself grumpy that I couldn't really make out what was being said half the time, and Nolan's penchant for telling stories in jumbled order really didn't work for me here as...all English dudes who I can't really understand kinda blend together after awhile so I started to lose track of what story was happening when about halfway through...
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I liked Dunkirk a lot. Saw it in the theater 2x, and have the same noise/sound complaint. I had the same issues at the beginning of La La Land, and almost walked out.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Turned on the TV and on without having to change the channel was the beginning of Alec Baldwin's monologue in Glengarry Glen Ross. Just so, so, so good.

"You see this watch? You see this watch? That watch cost more than your car.

Good father? Fuck you! Go home and play with your kids."
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:58 pm I liked Dunkirk a lot. Saw it in the theater 2x, and have the same noise/sound complaint. I had the same issues at the beginning of La La Land, and almost walked out.
I saw Dunkirk in the theater. I loved it. I have liked Nolan's approach to time ever since i saw Memento and Following.
The dialogue was secondary, I thought he did a wonderful job of telling the story visually. One of my favorite movies of the year
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

brian wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:04 pm Turned on the TV and on without having to change the channel was the beginning of Alec Baldwin's monologue in Glengarry Glen Ross. Just so, so, so good.

"You see this watch? You see this watch? That watch cost more than your car.

Good father? Fuck you! Go home and play with your kids."
It’s fuck or walk, gentlemen.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Avram wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:07 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:58 pm I liked Dunkirk a lot. Saw it in the theater 2x, and have the same noise/sound complaint. I had the same issues at the beginning of La La Land, and almost walked out.
I saw Dunkirk in the theater. I loved it. I have liked Nolan's approach to time ever since i saw Memento and Following.
The dialogue was secondary, I thought he did a wonderful job of telling the story visually. One of my favorite movies of the year
Agreed.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

So I set a loose goal of trying to see one movie a week in a theater, have only gotten to two this year and I'm figuring out why. There's a lot of dreck out there. Gonna go see Darkest Hour (which I legit do want to see) and hopefully there's something decent coming out next week because that's the only choice this week.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:12 pm So I set a loose goal of trying to see one movie a week in a theater, have only gotten to two this year and I'm figuring out why. There's a lot of dreck out there. Gonna go see Darkest Hour (which I legit do want to see) and hopefully there's something decent coming out next week because that's the only choice this week.
Oh, to be childless... I've been to two movies this decade, both children's movies.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:18 pm
brian wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:12 pm So I set a loose goal of trying to see one movie a week in a theater, have only gotten to two this year and I'm figuring out why. There's a lot of dreck out there. Gonna go see Darkest Hour (which I legit do want to see) and hopefully there's something decent coming out next week because that's the only choice this week.
Oh, to be childless... I've been to two movies this decade, both children's movies.
Including a couple of premieres that my wife got passes for at work, we have been to 4 movies in the theatre in a decade.

But you know what - unless it's a special effects movie, who cares? We've got the big TVs, and once you pass a certain age, it doesn't matter if you see the movie when it opens. You reach a certain age, the thrill of seeing a new movie fades away once you realize that with parking and popcorn and a drink, you're dropping over $50 to see a movie.

(Yes, I sound like my Grandfather.)