Tech Support

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: Tech Support

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Ryan wrote:Alright, I'm finally asking this:

Is "Recent Places" on Windows actually supposed to do something?

Yeah it usually holds the folders that you have saved stuff into. This way they are right there for you instead of having to browse them over and over again. In Windows 10 they have tweaked it to call it "Frequent Folders" and "Quick Access"
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

That's what I figured. Now why has it been blank on every PC I've used for the last 15 years?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Ryan wrote:That's what I figured. Now why has it been blank on every PC I've used for the last 15 years?

Probably a problem with the user profile or regsitry
https://www.w7forums.com/threads/recent ... mpty.8742/
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Is printer ink made to expire quickly nowadays? I use my printer like once every 6 months and every time it prints like the ink is almost gone and I need to get new cartridges.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Johnny Carwash wrote:Is printer ink made to expire quickly nowadays? I use my printer like once every 6 months and every time it prints like the ink is almost gone and I need to get new cartridges.

You'll get no argument from me.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

A_B wrote:
Johnny Carwash wrote:Is printer ink made to expire quickly nowadays? I use my printer like once every 6 months and every time it prints like the ink is almost gone and I need to get new cartridges.

You'll get no argument from me.

That's why I like my monochromatic laser printer. It's a dry powder so it can just sit.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I worked for two years for the company that used to own Slashdot and other similar sites (2000-2002). Met some interesting characters.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, on my phone, I'm having to log in to Swamp every time, even though I click the "remember me" box. Didn't used to be this way. Did I inadvertently change a setting?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote:So, on my phone, I'm having to log in to Swamp every time, even though I click the "remember me" box. Didn't used to be this way. Did I inadvertently change a setting?

I would guess it's less likely an issue with the Swamp than with your cookies on the device you're using to connect. Did you change your cookies settings recently?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Anyone know why windows firewall might continue to block something that's already in the exception list?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

Rush2112 wrote:Anyone know why windows firewall might continue to block something that's already in the exception list?

If a certain amount of changes (what or how much I don't know) happen with an update to a program, windows by default will ask if you want it blocked or not, even if you've approved it before.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Google Slides users:

I'm creating a presentation that will be given from a different computer and I may not have good or any internet access. Assuming I've enabled offline access, what else do I need to do to ensure that it works? Just Google Drive installed on that laptop?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Anyone care to give me a 5 minute run through on editing my website via wordpress? I literally need to just delete a represented line and then add a new one once I have to go ahead. PM/text/FB me?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

BSF21 wrote:Anyone care to give me a 5 minute run through on editing my website via wordpress? I literally need to just delete a represented line and then add a new one once I have to go ahead. PM/text/FB me?

Quick bump on this. Anyone familiar before I reach out other places?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

BSF21 wrote:Anyone care to give me a 5 minute run through on editing my website via wordpress? I literally need to just delete a represented line and then add a new one once I have to go ahead. PM/text/FB me?

I can help you with this. I assume you have your admin login details?
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

OK, I'll show off what an ignorant person I am, in hopes of learning something.

On my Mac laptop, it used to be that when I started to type a url in my browser window, it would automatically suggest urls to previously-visited websites that began with those letters. For some reason that has stopped occurring, and I would like to make that start happening again. Help? I'll hang up and listen.

eta: I should note that under Preferences - Autofill, all the boxes are checked.
Last edited by sancarlos on Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

browser?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:32 pmbrowser?
Safari
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Have you recently cleared your cache/history? Or used a product like CCleaner? Sometimes that can delete your previously visited sites.

It can also lose your shizz if you clear history on your phone if the accounts are linked.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:47 pm Have you recently cleared your cache/history? Or used a product like CCleaner? Sometimes that can delete your previously visited sites.

It can also lose your shizz if you clear history on your phone if the accounts are linked.
I have cleared history, and I can understand how it might not recognize a site from the past the first time you go back to it, but that shouldn't be the case the second time, right?

I think you might have hit on it with your second point. I did recently install Malware Bytes. But, again, once I've gone back to a site, shouldn't it then remember it on subsequent visits?

Thanks.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:58 pm I think you might have hit on it with your second point. I did recently install Malware Bytes. But, again, once I've gone back to a site, shouldn't it then remember it on subsequent visits?
If you don't have crazy settings for Safari you can delete com.apple.Safari.plist that is in the /username/Library/Preferences/ folder that'll reset the preferences. (If you're worried about it breaking other things you can copy it to your desktop to test) Need to do this with the browser closed of course. Restart browser and should be good to go.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Thanks, gents. Uninstalling malwarebytes seems to have done the trick.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Part tech support part rant...

I got my wife a new Macbook for Christmas, because her Macbook Air 11" is getting too small for older eyes. I started setting it up this weekend, going through all the initial stuff, everything but copying over files and settings from her old Mac because she was using that one at the time. When I got access to her old Mac later, I started the Migration Assistant, but ran into a dialog asking if I wanted to overwrite the new account on her new Mac or change the name of the account I was copying over. I didn't want to lose the setup I'd done and I know that having all her files under a different name, I punted until I could read more about the choice.

After reading some, I tried again last night. First, I hit difficulties because the Migration Assistant repeatedly told me it could reach the old Mac, even though it listed it right in the tool so that I could select it! Several restarts and retries later, I got through that and back the account choice. Fuck. The Replace Account option I was going to choose is disabled. Can't choose it. The only option is to change the name of the old account - which is her name - to something else. That would confuse the hell out of my wife.

What the fuck, Apple? You create the accounts with the user's name! When you set up a new Mac, it's ALWAYS going to have an account with the same name, because people's names don't change.

From Googling, it seems the two options are to change the new Mac's account name or reinstall the OS (!!). So, I went with the name change thing.

They don't make that easy, but I thought I got it right, adding a "2" to the end of the account name, with the plan to just delete that account after I was done. When I saved that screen, it immediately showed me that the new account name was something like "-2" with no username. Fuck. I rebooted and it came back up with her name as the account again (good, I guess?), but now that account was no longer an Admin account. And nothing I entered for an admin account worked. So, now her Mac has no admin account.

So I went with option two and rebooted with the command-R option to reinstall the OS. 45 minutes later, it boots up and the accounts are EXACTLY THE SAME AS BEFORE. No admin accounts.

So, this time, I rebooted into single user mode and removed the file that specifies that the computer has already been through setup. When I rebooted, it properly went into setup and asked me for a name. I gave my wife's name with "new" on the end. That worked, and now I had an admin account with that name and still her old account with her name and non-admin rights. Fine.

I ran the Migration Assistant again (trying several times to get it to connect again) and this time got further. It never asked me about the redundant user accounts, so I thought that was a win. But then. It popped up a new dialog with a very long message that started with "In order to add new users to this system we need to collect a password..." and a prompt for something like the Volume Password. No user account, just a password. Of course, none of the passwords I used to set up the box worked (and no, I didn't turn on drive encryption).

So, I'm still stuck with a very expensive computer that I can't fucking use. Macs, easy to use, right?! Any suggestions before I give up and take the damn thing back to the Apple Store to get completely fucking reset?

(my thoughts are to go back to the terminal and remove the user accounts, and maybe then reinstall the OS AGAIN. Reasonable?)
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pm sabo. He helped me when I got my new one a few years back. And I did have to change he account name but it finally worked
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

So, antivirus/firewall stuff...what do you all use? I've been using Kaspersky for the last few years, but with recent developments it's an understatement to say that's maybe not the best idea.

I've also heard that the native Windows security capabilities have evolved to the point that you don't need third-party stuff as long as you use good judgment—anyone agree?
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:32 am So, antivirus/firewall stuff...what do you all use? I've been using Kaspersky for the last few years, but with recent developments it's an understatement to say that's maybe not the best idea.

I've also heard that the native Windows security capabilities have evolved to the point that you don't need third-party stuff as long as you use good judgment—anyone agree?
The last time I checked AVG was the best free one. However, the upsell is really annoying and I think newer list moved Avast ahead in the game.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:32 am So, antivirus/firewall stuff...what do you all use? I've been using Kaspersky for the last few years, but with recent developments it's an understatement to say that's maybe not the best idea.

Worst virus I ever got was a few years ago when I had Kaspersky installed.

I mostly use Microsoft's built-in tools. When they sort of let that die a few years ago, I installed Avast, but I just uninstalled that again the other day, because I got so tired of the constant popups. I think Microsoft is properly supporting their security tools again, so that seems the best way to go. They (we!) have the most vested interest in protecting people's PCs.
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A_B wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:55 pm Pm sabo. He helped me when I got my new one a few years back. And I did have to change he account name but it finally worked
Oh, and thanks to Sabo for help with this. I emailed him offline and he gave me good advice. I finally got the wife's computer set up, although she's been slow to transition.
Totally Kafkaesque
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

MSE or Avast! are the best free ones. I run Avast! on my main machine (no real popups to speak of) and MSE on the ancillary machines.)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:56 am MSE or Avast! are the best free ones. I run Avast! on my main machine (no real popups to speak of) and MSE on the ancillary machines.)
Do you feel/know if those are also good options for a Mac?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I use Sophos on my Mac and I have never had an issue.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:35 am I use Sophos on my Mac and I have never had an issue.
Free? Looks like it's a free trial.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pretty sure it's free. I think when you sign up it gives you the full suite for 30 days to try to entice you to buy, then it goes to the free version.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Avast is available for Mac. MSE is Microsoft Security Essentials so probably a no-go on Macs, unless it continually hit you with BUY A PC messages.

I thought Macs didn't get viruses?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I bought the Mac laptop because I was tired of repeated instances of malware/viruses on my old work PC. And, I haven't had any viruses or malware on the Mac. But, I'm not so smug as to think it can't happen!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I cleaned viruses off of Macs back when I was in college and worked at the help desk over 25 years ago. So, I suppose they're still out there.
Totally Kafkaesque
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Shirley wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:37 pm I cleaned viruses off of Macs back when I was in college and worked at the help desk over 25 years ago. So, I suppose they're still out there.
They're probably more prevalent. I'd say 80% of the kids at CU have Macs and not all of them are that tech-savvy, at least in terms of what is or what isn't a safe download/site. Malware/viruses are going to go where the action is.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I've never gotten a virus in my 7 years of mac use. Sophos has found some suspicious attachments form time to time but it's never failed to clean them up.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yet another question about my wife's new Mac.

In Microsoft Word, when she tries to print - from the menu, clicking %-P, or clicking the little icon - nothing happens. No dialog box. Nothing.

She can print from Safari, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. Just not Word. We've tried restarting, but still nothing.

Any suggestions?

(BTW, I've never had as many problems with a computer in my life as I've had with this fucking $2500 Mac. Didn't Apple used to make products that just work?)
Totally Kafkaesque