NFL Week 3 2013

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Sabo
The Dude

NFL Week 3 2013

Post by Sabo »

Let's start this NFL week with a bit of comedy!

Browns name third-string QB Brian Hoyer as the starter this week versus Vikings.

Hoyer will be the 19th quarterback to start for the Browns since they came back in 1999.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
sancarlos
The Dude

Re: NFL Week 3 2013

Post by sancarlos »

Sabo wrote:Let's start this NFL week with a bit of comedy!

Browns name third-string QB Brian Hoyer as the starter this week versus Vikings.

Hoyer will be the 19th quarterback to start for the Browns since they came back in 1999.
He will be the guy to lead the Browns to the AFC North's first non-division win of the season!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Why would you use my links against me? You're evil.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

AB_skin_test wrote:

Why would you use my links against me? You're evil.
Of course I am! I have a beard!
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

Spergon Wynn. Sweet, merciful Christ.
mini puke to 1,558
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

kranepool wrote:Spergon Wynn. Sweet, merciful Christ.
He did come from a football powerhouse now known as Texas State University! TT and Giff approved!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

That list depresses me on multiple levels.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Speaking of massive fail and in honor of the Lions playing the Washington football team this Sunday, did you know....

The Lions have the three longest active road losing streaks to another team in the NFL?

Green Bay -- 22 games (last won: 1990)
Washington -- 21 games (last won: never...dating back to 1935)
San Francisco - 13 games (last won: 1982)

They should also get bonus points for:
Pittsburgh -- 8 games (1955)
Arizona -- 7 games (1993)

They play Green Bay, Washington, Pittsburgh and Arizona all on the road this season so even though they barfed up a chance to break that streak last week, they can end some of these other ones. (though I wouldn't bet on it).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

AB_skin_test wrote:Image
They left out Thad Lewis!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

AND the Browns trade Trent Richardson to Indy for their first-round pick in 2014. Browns are going all-in on Clowney it appears.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

brian wrote:AND the Browns trade Trent Richardson to Indy for their first-round pick in 2014. Browns are going all-in on Clowney it appears.

They were going to suck with Richardson. Man I'd be pissed if I was a Browns fan.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

brian wrote:AND the Browns trade Trent Richardson to Indy for their first-round pick in 2014. Browns are going all-in on Clowney it appears.
its a good thing they don't have any other needs to be addressed.

eta: and i know getting a pick goes to that end, but shit, if they also draft a qb on top of clowney, they are still going to be way short at the rb position. they, like america, are so fucked.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Reading Twitter last night was hilarious. Browns fans are in full-bore meltdown mode.

In the long run, this might be the best move for the Browns. They now have two picks in the first, third and fourth rounds of next year's draft. And now that it's apparent 2013 will be tank city, there's an excellent chance it will be a top 3 pick. They'll use that to get Bridgewater, Manziel or whatever franchise QB they want, and then they can fill holes with their five remaining picks or trade them for another early first-round pick.

And it's obvious the Browns have concerns about Richardson. He has a history of injuries and his yards per rush isn't great (3.5 ypc for his career). And there must be more to it, since the Browns have taken him out of the game for seemingly every third down play this season. Is he dumb? Can't block? I don't know, but the coaching staff seems to think he has a fatal flaw. Of course, this means he'll run for 1,600 yards and 20 TDs for the Colts.

But whatever good will Haslam's regime had went out the window last night. Cleveland fans have long memories and hold grudges for long times. Hell, some claim they won't go to Indians games because they traded back-to-back Cy Young winners, and that happened four years ago. Never mind the Indians are winning and have a good chance to make the playoffs ... they won't go for that reason. And while Cleveland is a football town, I expect more than a few will swear off the Browns for a while because of this trade. It's the Cleveland way.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Browns really confuse me. The Indianapolis pick will probably be in the latter half of the first round, so I fail to see how the rookie they draft will be better than Trent Richardson.

And, what is the logic of starting Brian Hoyer over Jason Campbell? he probably hasn't gotten any practice reps in a few weeks, and at least Campbell has a modest track record of occasionally winning in the NFL.
Saban said, ''The guy was a fantastic player here. We never had anybody who contributed more to the team in terms of how he played and how he affected other people.''

Before the deal, Richardson spoke to Minnesota reporters on a conference call about the expectations that come with being such a high draft pick.

''I think people make it more pressure than what it is,'' he said. ''I just like to play football. At the end of the day, I'm going to play football like I've always been coached. The way I've always played. I'm going to be physical, fast, I'm going to be up-tempo.''

And he's going to do so in a new uniform.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I fail to understand why everyone thinks Trent Richardson is so good. He serves no purpose in Cleveland right now, and I don't care that he was drafted 3rd overall...the Browns are where they are because they take players like Trent Richardson 3rd overall. Draft a position that warrants a first rounder with this pick and replace Richardson's production with 3rd and 4th rounders.

EDIT: Also, Hoyer is a pretty decent QB while Jason Campbell is a shell of his former not-even-that-good self. Campbell was awful in Chicago last year and last week looked like an immobile Dennis Dixon when he came in. Hoyer gives you a better chance to win than Jason Campbell by even giving you a chance to win in the first place.

EDIT2: The more I think about this trade, the better a move I think it was to trade Greased Pig Richardson for even a late first rounder while he still had his name value.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Richardson played much of last year on broken ribs, and he's only a 2nd year guy. I think his ceiling is much higher than you do, Sean.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

sancarlos wrote:Richardson played much of last year on broken ribs. I think his ceiling is much higher than you do, Sean.

What's he playing with this year? If he's going to run for 3.5 yards a carry, then he's not worth having on the roster at the expense of a first round pick. And if it's not his fault (which I think is not fair - Shonn Greene put up pedestrian numbers for a pass-less team last year and everybody realizes that he's nothing special), then there are so many things they need to fix that they don't have the luxury of having a top-3 drafted RB.

Vikings had no pass game at the end of last year. None. Yet AP still dominated. Richardson is not in that class and I don't think his status as a former top-3 pick means anything at this point.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I've come of the ledge a bit since last night. Getting picks is not a terrible thing, but I have to think they could have gotten just a smidge more out of the colts.

Trich hasn't been great, but I bet he will thrive with Luck. He's a good pass catcher, IMO. Won't be the second coming of Edgerrin James, but will be a good tool for them.

What's gonna happen is this: the Browns are going to completely fuck up by losing to the jaguars in December and end up with the #1 pick. Then they'll take Bridewater or Manziel over Clowney because "Hey we just drafted Mingo we don't need Clowney" and then end up with the #20 pick and end up with a shitty QB again.

But hey......the braintrust has a plan!

Fuck this. I'm back on the ledge.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Gunpowder wrote:
Vikings had no pass game at the end of last year. None. Yet AP still dominated. Richardson is not in that class and I don't think his status as a former top-3 pick means anything at this point.
No one is in that class, of course. Next year the Browns will have their next franchise QB with no one to hand the ball to at all. SSDD.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

If they get the number 1 spot and don't want Clowney, I'd trade it down. Some team will take it.

I hope this new Browns front office sucks as bad as the last one and screws it up, though. Man, does Holmgren blow. Weeden? Haaaaaaaa
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

AB_skin_test wrote:
Gunpowder wrote:
No one is in that class, of course. Next year the Browns will have their next franchise QB with no one to hand the ball to at all. SSDD.
They can find someone to hand the ball off to, just like every other team does. Indianapolis is scrambling to replace a guy named Vick Ballard. Finding RBs ain't hard. Hell, look at what Ogboyanna did in a few games once.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Gunpowder wrote:If they get the number 1 spot and don't want Clowney, I'd trade it down. Some team will take it.

I hope this new Browns front office sucks as bad as the last one and screws it up, though. Man, does Holmgren blow. Weeden? Haaaaaaaa

If they get the #1 and don't want Clowney, their talk about having a plan is bullshit. I just don't think you can pass on that guy.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

AB_skin_test wrote:
Gunpowder wrote:If they get the number 1 spot and don't want Clowney, I'd trade it down. Some team will take it.

If they get the #1 and don't want Clowney, their talk about having a plan is bullshit. I just don't think you can pass on that guy.

I agree with you, but at the same time I see that QB is just an absolute must-have. I think Manziel will drop, though. My hope is that the Steelers can somehow end up with Clowney and Manziel if they tank this season.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Basically, the Browns should have just drafted Julio Jones like everybody said they should.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Gunpowder wrote:Basically, the Browns should have just drafted Julio Jones like everybody said they should.
Maybe we'd perceive Julio Jones as a wasted pick right now, with Brandon Weeden et al, unable to exploit his abilities...
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

sancarlos wrote:
Gunpowder wrote:Basically, the Browns should have just drafted Julio Jones like everybody said they should.
Maybe we'd perceive Julio Jones as a wasted pick right now, with Brandon Weeden et al, unable to exploit his abilities...

Maybe. But I'll give you one second round draft pick. Who's easier for you to replace, Richardson or Jones?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Well there goes my flex player in fantasy (Bradshaw). DeAndre Hopkins...come on down!
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Gunpowder wrote:
sancarlos wrote:

Maybe. But I'll give you one second round draft pick. Who's easier for you to replace, Richardson or Jones?

Oh, I wish they had drafted jones way back when.

And how about Sabo up there. basically out in front of all of us and we ignored him like a bunch of insensitive pricks. Soothsayer of the Swamp and we're no better than his users.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I'm not saying that Trent Richardson = Rashaan Salaam (far from it - I'm still in TRich's corner), but Gunpowder's comments made me recall this article. Might be timely, who knows...
Rashaan Salaam was a Heisman Trophy winner, a first-round draft pick of the Bears and a 1,000-yard rusher as a rookie. And then he was cut by the Bears by the age of 23.

Looking back on his career now, Salaam has some advice for this year’s first-round draft picks: Don’t be lazy like I was.

“I didn’t realize coming up how much work you had to put in once you got to the NFL,” Salaam told the Chicago Tribune. “It’s a whole different lifestyle. You have to change the way you live. You have to change who you hang out with. You have to totally get focused on your game. You have the athletic ability, but if you don’t put the work behind it, nothing will come from it.”

Salaam said he enjoyed partying and enjoyed smoking pot, but didn’t enjoy working out. When he was able to step onto the field as a rookie and — despite a lengthy contract holdout that had him miss training camp — instantly become the Bears’ No. 1 rusher, he thought the NFL would come as easily to him as football at every other level always had. As it turned out, after that impressive rookie year Salaam would gain a grand total of just 610 yards in the remainder of his NFL career.

“I had no discipline. I had all the talent in the world,” Salaam recalled. “You know, great body, great genes. But I had no work ethic and I had no discipline. The better you get, the harder you have to work. The better I got, the lazier I got. . . . My whole life, up until the Chicago Bears . . . everything was perfect. You know, Parade All-American, Heisman Trophy winner. . . . So I was bound to go through some challenges. Going to the pros at 20 years old and not being disciplined.”

Anyone who’s good enough to be a first-round NFL draft pick is an incredible natural athlete. What Salaam wants all those first-round picks to know is that being an incredible natural athlete isn’t enough. That’s something he figured out only after the NFL was done with him.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Salaam's rookie year rushing stats look very familiar.

Jk, I don't think Richardson is bad or anything.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

AB_skin_test wrote:

I agree that he's a can't miss prospect, but the Browns are 0-2 and 6th in the league in defense. If they take Clowney but still have no QB, does that really help them?
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

degenerasian wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:

I agree that he's a can't miss prospect, but the Browns are 0-2 and 6th in the league in defense. If they take Clowney but still have no QB, does that really help them?

I gotta ask, is Cloeney big enough to play D-Line in the NFL? I can see him being a Vernon Gholston. An athletic freak, but too small to play DL, and not working out as a LB. I've never actually seen him play, just seen highlight reels. The guy is a freak, no doubt, but he looks light for a DL.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

The Sybian wrote: I agree that he's a can't miss prospect, but the Browns are 0-2 and 6th in the league in defense. If they take Clowney but still have no QB, does that really help them?

I gotta ask, is Cloeney big enough to play D-Line in the NFL? I can see him being a Vernon Gholston. An athletic freak, but too small to play DL, and not working out as a LB. I've never actually seen him play, just seen highlight reels. The guy is a freak, no doubt, but he looks light for a DL.[/quote]

Vernon Gholston was an aesthetic freak - he was just really muscular. Clowney is not on the same level. He's big enough to rush outside. He's bigger than Freeney. He could probably play 3-4OLB awesomely. A smaller, much less freakish version of him named Michael Johnson plays DE for the Bengals and he's fine.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

degenerasian wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:

They can be first in the league in defense and win games on defense.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think there's more than enough evidence to prove that "drafting for need" is a flawed philosophy as opposed to "best player available"
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Gunpowder wrote:
They can be first in the league in defense and win games on defense.
Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson and Jim McMahon like this post.

As for Gholston, I thought he put some impressive numbers at the combine, and that is what led the Jets to waste a pick on him. Then again, the Jets don't need a reason to blow a first round pick.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Bill Barnwell says TRich was fungible. He's clearly a lurker.
howard
Karl Hungus

It's Funny Because It's True

Post by howard »

Joe Posnanski @JPosnanski 2h

Friend just emailed me this: Q: Why did the chicken cross the road? A: To screw Cleveland sports fans. It makes no sense and yet, I get it.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Looking at the Colts schedule and figuring how less than impressive they've looked, they could easily lose 9 or 10 games without the breaks they got last year.