Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - BFJ (329th) + SKIP J-LO (324/325th)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Shirley
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick ***2-9 RUSH***

Post by Shirley »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:56 pm Clearly, this exercise is as subjective as it could be, but I went and put on the Led Zeppelin one, as well as the Rolling Stones one, and felt absolutely nothing. Don't get me wrong, these are seminal bands with amazing songs, but still, very underwhelmed.
Yeah, Jerloma's choice of Houses as his Led Zep album sent me to Spotify. I love Zeppelin as much as any American male, but I hadn't listened to an album of theirs in a long time. I found myself playing the hell out of Zep I the past few days. Man, that's a hell of a first album.
Totally Kafkaesque
Rush2112
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick ***2-9 RUSH***

Post by Rush2112 »

God damn it Enoch.

I'll take Clapton off the board and select Cream. Wheels of Fire is the album because it includes one of my favourite songs of all time "Born Under A Bad Sign." Cream, well Ginger Baker, in particular, are who got me into Afro-rhythm and Fela Kuti, Oliver Mtukaduzu and other gods of the style which led me down some fun listening rabbit trails. I've also gone deep into the blues (like millions of others) because some Brits electrified some goodness from the Delta (and I prefer Cream's blues to the Stones) Tie that together with some good ole psychedelic rock and you got a band that suits me just fine.

(and I may have gone Fresh Cream but it includes a live disc so not sure if it can be counted.)

Shit went to find the image and forgot to finish my thought...
Last edited by Rush2112 on Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick ***2-10 BSF***

Post by sancarlos »

Interesting choice, Rush - not where I thought you’d go.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I wanted to go Clapton (and to be honest I think the David Crosby rule applies ) but I realize I prefer most of his live albums to any one studio effort, even including cream’s work.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I’d think Cream counts as Clapton, right?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:49 am I’d think Cream counts as Clapton, right?
I assumed George Harrison and John Lennon were off the table once the White Album was off the board...
Noli Timere Messorem
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:25 am
mister d wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:49 am I’d think Cream counts as Clapton, right?
I assumed George Harrison and John Lennon were off the table once the White Album was off the board...
Yup. Though I checked with mister d and he said you can still pick a Ringo album.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Shirley
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick ***2-7 ENOCHROOT***

Post by Shirley »

Shirley wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:38 pm
rass wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:04 pm
mister d wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:24 pm Goddamn that's some kind of fall.
You picked an album that includes this ponderous, condescending, faux social-commentary disguised as a song that I bet you skip all of the time:
There's a dev on my team that I swear sounds just like the robot voice in this song. I get this song in my head every time he starts talking in a Skype. Still kisses with tongue.
I went to bed last night. Put my head down on the pillow and thought “dammit, it’s ‘still kisses with saliva’.”
Totally Kafkaesque
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Intermission music...

Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

rass wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:40 am
EnochRoot wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:25 am
Yup. Though I checked with mister d and he said you can still pick a Ringo album.
Reporter: Is Ringo the best drummer in the world?
John: [laughter] He’s not even the best drummer in the band..
Noli Timere Messorem
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yeah, John was a dick, too.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Did I miss something then? Why can the byrds not disqualify Crosby but cream can disqualify Clapton?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

VETERANS COMMITTEE FORMATION POST!!!!!!!

I'm forming a veterans committee to deal with my classic rock knowledge gap. It'll be made up of AB, PDX and Rush because they all live off the oceans and are older than me and that just feels right for this sort of thing. Obviously a 2 vote majority wins. I'll retain veto power and/or the right to step in when there's the appearance of a conflict of interest.

The Wilbury's decision cannot be reversed. Closing loopholes like that is the foundation of this entire goddamn draft.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Missed opportunity to bring howard back home, but otherwise a good idea.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'd disband the committee immediately if Howard came back and wanted the job.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I don’t see why Cream should DQ Clapton.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

rass wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:58 am Yeah, John was a dick, too.
Let’s turn to when comedy mattered (because between it and satire is where you find truth):

Noli Timere Messorem
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Seriously this should be a 4-person committee with coin flips
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

bfj wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:56 am I don’t see why Cream should DQ Clapton.
Clapton was/is by far the biggest names and was the driving creative and commercial force of Cream. Crosby was 4th banana in the Byrds (behind McGuinn, Hillman, and Clark). That’s why.

When one thinks of Cream, one thinks of Clapton head and shoulders above Bruce and Baker. Not at all the case with Crosby and the Byrds.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:13 pm
Clapton was/is by far the biggest names and was the driving creative and commercial force of Cream. Crosby was 4th banana in the Byrds (behind McGuinn, Hillman, and Clark). That’s why.
I think if someone is in multiple legit bands, both should be eligible. Same with a separate solo career. I would disqualify groups like Temple of the Dog or The Traveling Wilburys that were put together almost as a gimmick. They never intended the band to last, didn't tour, etc.

But, I'm not on the committee. Or even in the draft. Hey, maybe that makes me more eligible!
Totally Kafkaesque
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:00 pm OK for my next pick I gotta go back where it started. These guys never got the credit they deserved.

Start to finish, their best whole LP effort, IMHO. Yeah, The Village Green Preservation Society gets points, but I burned out on that several years ago.

My island's gonna rock (and roll)...
No Apeman, Victoria, or Lola.

Fail.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I messaged howard on Twitter.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Jerloma wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:26 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:00 pm OK for my next pick I gotta go back where it started. These guys never got the credit they deserved.

Start to finish, their best whole LP effort, IMHO. Yeah, The Village Green Preservation Society gets points, but I burned out on that several years ago.

My island's gonna rock (and roll)...
No Apeman, Victoria, or Lola.

Fail.
To that I sing you a hearty

Music, only juke box music.
Only music, only juke box music

Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

No question, the Kinks had a ton of great stuff. I still play their live album, One for the Road, from time to time.

Saw Ray Davies solo once in a tiny venue. That guy has some great stories.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A long long time ago, “Waterloo Sunset” was my favorite Beatles song.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:49 pm No question, the Kinks had a ton of great stuff. I still play their live album, One for the Road, from time to time.

Saw Ray Davies solo once in a tiny venue. That guy has some great stories.
No doubt. I saw Ray Davies down in Miami several years ago. The one time I saw the Kinks they were the main act for a festival on the Gulf of Mexico at the Vinoy Hotel in St Pete. Probably '94?

As for my LP choice: I'm looking for long plays, not necessarily greatest hits (he said, oh so snobbishly)...
Noli Timere Messorem
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Firstly, rock on gold dust woman; one of the best fucking albums ever made.

Secondly, I'll rise to second Muswell Hillbillies. I'll see Juke Box Music, and raise my favorite Kinks tune of all the great Kinks tunes: 20th Century Man. Album cut. and Ray acoustic version. I was born in a welfare state.

It is a shame this controversy regarding membership in a band/supergroup was not ironed out earlier. If you wish me to adjudicate the dispute, I am glad to be of service.

Cool draft. Some interesting choices for albums representing an artist/group. Some not obvious ones I agree with and applaud (Blood on the Tracks, Muswell) others I scratch my head (Houses of the Holy? damn, although I do like Dancing Days. And I love that the 'title' song isn't even on the album, but was delayed until the next LP, Physical Graffiti. Too much cowbell, I suppose.)

Finally, my last unsolicited opinion, for this post, the best athlete still on the board. Although some may piss all over it:

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

howard wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:50 pm Firstly, rock on gold dust woman; one of the best fucking albums ever made.

Secondly, I'll rise to second Muswell Hillbillies. I'll see Juke Box Music, and raise my favorite Kinks tune of all the great Kinks tunes: 20th Century Man. Album cut. and Ray acoustic version. I was born in a welfare state.

It is a shame this controversy regarding membership in a band/supergroup was not ironed out earlier. If you wish me to adjudicate the dispute, I am glad to be of service.

Cool draft. Some interesting choices for albums representing an artist/group. Some not obvious ones I agree with and applaud (Blood on the Tracks, Muswell) others I scratch my head (Houses of the Holy? damn, although I do like Dancing Days. And I love that the 'title' song isn't even on the album, but was delayed until the next LP, Physical Graffiti. Too much cowbell, I suppose.)

Finally, my last unsolicited opinion, for this post, the best athlete still on the board. Although some may piss all over it:

I mean sure...once Electric Warrior ended.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

VETERANS COMMITTEE DISSOLUTION POST!!!!!!!

Thank you for your service. Howard has full power now.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Let me apologize for some of the redundancy in my post above. I had not read the entire thread when I posted, and I covered some already exhausted ground. In particular, I did not mean to pile on Zep and J-Lo. Just last week, I made a playlist of radio tunes from 1973 (beginning of senior year), with a primary audience a group of friends from high school. One of those guys spouted a diatribe against HotH a couple of weeks after he had bought it, a diatribe so forceful and passionate as to the degree of suck was that record, that I still remember almost 45 years later. But I still put Dancing Days and Over the Hills and Far Away in the mix.

I have read the tread end to end. First, as to jurisdiction and authority. This draft is a creation of mister d, with him serving as the administrator/boss/hnic*. In that role, he has set out certain rules, and has unilaterally adjusted and amended certain rules. As these actions have gone unchallenged and uncontested by any participants, it is logical and reasonable to assume that mister d's authority over the conduct of this draft is supreme and singular.

Thus, his delegation to another party or committee of the power to provide advice, counsel, or a definitive ruling on this issue of contention is fully within the purview of his authority. As well, his discretion to define the limits, if any, to the force of that ruling/advice/counsel is complete. He is free to designate my judgment as binding, or subject to appeal, or advisory only. He is further free to change his mind, even if his rejection of my judgment is obviously capricious, simply because he does not like what I conclude.

Think of me as the swamp's Robert Muller. Or, for you old folk, the Archibald Cox of the sports frog.

There is no obligation for mister d to define the force of my ruling beforehand; although I would welcome such definition, I will approach my task with the seriousness and solemnity of the assumption that my ruling will carry the force of law, with the full understanding and acceptance of the fact that my ruling may be jettisoned like a case of Patriots Super Bowl LII Champs T-shirts.

I do ask that we define clearly the question at hand. I see the question as whether the selection of a musical group removes from availability any subsequent selection of an individual member of that group. Further, rather than a simple 'yes' or 'no' rule, an 'it depends' option exists for definition and enforcement of this rule. That some groups upon being drafted would disqualify subsequent selection of individual members; some groups would not. Further, some groups may be deemed ineligible for this draft, either prospectively or retrospectively.

If this is considered a clear and fair statement of the issue before me, I am ready to proceed.

*no, not Hockey Night in Canada. Head N(egro) In Charge.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:58 pm
Geepster for your love, eh? (T. Rex second album) So I need to consider if that record includes the rights to The Turtles' catalog. As well as Yes (Rick Wakeman played on that record too). And Gloria Jones.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Shirley wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:22 pm
sancarlos wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:13 pm
I think if someone is in multiple legit bands, both should be eligible. Same with a separate solo career. I would disqualify groups like Temple of the Dog or The Traveling Wilburys that were put together almost as a gimmick. They never intended the band to last, didn't tour, etc.

But, I'm not on the committee. Or even in the draft. Hey, maybe that makes me more eligible!

This is where I am, for as little as that's worth.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Archi Baldcocks.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Not really, I haven't shaved down there lately.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

howard wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:24 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:58 pm
Geepster for your love, eh? (T. Rex second album) So I need to consider if that record includes the rights to The Turtles' catalog. As well as Yes (Rick Wakeman played on that record too). And Gloria Jones.
I was going for the "You Better You Bet" moment where he laments:

I got your body right now on my mind and I drunk myself blind
To the sound of old T-Rex
To the sound of old T-Rex, ... and who's next?
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

You can't tell me Townsend wasn't pointing towards previous pillars of the Who discography..
Noli Timere Messorem
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Ah, of course. Right over my head.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Just a thought regarding the Who - They were my absolute favourites as a kid, but has any great band lost it as quickly and as suddenly as they did? "Who Are You" is alright, but after Keith Moon died they immediately became an oldies band.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I was gonna cite an excuse for missing Enoch's reference above, that The Who sucked by the time of that record (Face Dances album, 1981). They had a nice long run, thirteen years from My Generation ('65) to Who Are You ('78). There were other factors in their losing it. Townsend, who wrote most of the music, was interested in other things - solo projects, more rock operas, writing books, and I don't know the timeline of his worst drug use. The Cincinnati tragedy in '79 had a bad affect on them. They cut way back on touring, but they were a live band, not a studio band, and more that most really needed the crowd to feed them.

Those things contributed, but yeah it was Keith's death, 7 September 1978. Not to be Taken Away indeed. They did 'officially' hang it up in 1982 with a 'farewell tour'.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I remember the last show of their 1982 "Farewell" tour. It was in Toronto - a bunch of us at school in Montreal went to a bar to watch it on a closed circuit feed. Love of the band + hash + beer made it an emotional night. There were tears.

Who knew that this epochal band would become a Beach Boys-level joke? But you know, people will still go see Daltrey and Townsend in their 70s trying to spin mikes and hit those chords with a windmill, so who can blame them for releasing a 30th version of the same 20 hits or hitting casinos to milk the dimes out of the old folks.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."