Swamp Album Draft companion thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Swamp Album Draft companion thread

Post by brian »

Here's where we talk about albums that will never be drafted for one reason or another and make sure that Big Classic Rock isn't overrepresented in a race to the bottom where not a single solitary Pavement album has yet to be selected but yet somehow the fucking Ben Folds Five went off the board in the third fucking round.

However, I digress. Pavement still sitting on the sidelines is egregiously insane, but it'll be selected soon enough as will some similarly other ridiculous oversights still unremembered.

I want to focus on smaller albums. In some instances, maybe "one-hit wonders". Regional albums that never had enough push to make it nationally back when you needed some kind of national patron in print media or at MTV or indie radio.

Here's a good one to start with:

Let's get this out of the way. Mark Kozelek is an asshole and the Sun Kil Moon schtick only goes so far, but somehow an album comprised solely out of lush, mostly acoustic Modest Mouse covers just fucking works. It's the rare covers album that not only stands on its own feet but informs the source material in a way that is profound itself. Kozelek takes a song like Tiny Cities Made of Ashes, which in Modest Mouse's hands was a kind of absurd attempt at a Talking Heads-esque punk streak of consciousness and completely de and re-constructs it into a weepy folk anthem that Woody Guthrie would be proud of.

This is not easy to do and Kozelek makes it seem like he just tore these songs off in the studio between more pressing business.

Modest Mouse

Sun Kil Moon

It works quite simply because Kozelek is neither revering Modest Mouse nor taking the piss. He understands the songs can be interpreted many different ways in a way that honors and respects Modest Mouse, but takes the wisdom of age and experience to point the songs in a different direction.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Shirley
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft companion thread

Post by Shirley »

I think it was from you that I got into Modest Mouse earlier this year. I fucking love them. I played the shit out of their albums and a radio station I seeded from them on Spotify this summer. Great stuff. No one has picked them, have they?

And am I crazy, or has Foo Fighters also not been picked?
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think Modest Mouse is the one true heir to Talking Heads. Issac Brock will probably be a lot more appreciated 20 years from now.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

That's also on my dog-walking ipod and is also a great set of walking by yourself (except for a dog) at 4:30 in the morning and it's dark and no one else is around and you're trying to wake up songs. I think I have Ghosts of the Great Highway somewhere at home (but not on the ipod?), but I imagine I grabbed this album because you or someone else around here so vociferously championed it.

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don’t like this thread.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Shirley wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:04 am I think it was from you that I got into Modest Mouse earlier this year. I fucking love them. I played the shit out of their albums and a radio station I seeded from them on Spotify this summer. Great stuff. No one has picked them, have they?

Or are they, a Dave Grohl band, not eligible because Nirvana, a Kurt Cobain band, already went off the board?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:44 am
Shirley wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:04 am I think it was from you that I got into Modest Mouse earlier this year. I fucking love them. I played the shit out of their albums and a radio station I seeded from them on Spotify this summer. Great stuff. No one has picked them, have they?

Or are they, a Dave Grohl band, not eligible because Nirvana, a Kurt Cobain band, already went off the board?
I think a lawyer would have a tough time arguing that Dave Grohl was the key component of Nirvana, particularly with the Uncle Tupelo/Wilco precedent.
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Yeah, as a Swamp Album Draft appellate attorney, the court's precedent is clear wrt Foo Fighters. The good thing about selecting them is that picking an album out from the collection shouldn't be hard because they all sound the same.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:52 am Yeah, as a Swamp Album Draft appellate attorney, the court's precedent is clear wrt Foo Fighters. The good thing about selecting them is that picking an album out from the collection shouldn't be hard because they all sound the same.
As the guy who picked AC/DC...screw off!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

OK, next up we're going back to Detroit in the early 90s to talk about maybe the best band to never make it big from The D: Big Chief.

As you'd expect from a Detroit grunge/garage rock outfit, Big Chief had a genre-bending sound, calling from not only rock, but R&B, funk and other "black" music and doing it without ripping off similar bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers. Its debut LP Face came out in 1992 and with the right break or two might have been as huge as anything else put out by Sub Pop at that time, especially since the music world had turned its eyes to Seattle. Alas, it was not to be.

Big Chief was about as big as it got if you were in your early 20s (as I was) if you lived and worked in Detroit (as I did). A Big Chief show was an event -- THE event of that week or month. Not to be missed under any circumstances. There would be as many women there as men (a rarity even then). The party would go well into the morning, spilling into the underground, illegal blind pigs prevalent in the Cass Corridor at the time. (Detroit in the mid 90s was essentially lawless. With the benefit of hindsight, it's clear that was the city's nadir.)

They made two more albums, each commendable in its own way and their sound evolved to be something like Afghan Whigs on steroids -- wearing their blaxploitation influences on their sleeve and slyly nodding to Detroit's Motown roots.

In a way, Big Chief would continue to influence Detroit music through one of the group's fans -- a teenaged Jack White, who while drumming with Goober And The Peas, opened for one of Big Chief's final shows before both bands ended up breaking up.

The bridge connecting acts like Iggy & The Stooges, the MC5, Alice Cooper, etc. to The White Stripes goes through Big Chief.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:21 am I think Modest Mouse is the one true heir to Talking Heads. Issac Brock will probably be a lot more appreciated 20 years from now.
I was going to take offense to your opining that Ben Folds Five wasn’t worthy of a third round pick, but then you just went and said that, so no need (o;

In addition to Modest Mouse, The Talking Heads’ seed is everywhere: from Arcade Fire to MGMT to Vampire Weekend (couldn’t think of a Z).
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Shirley wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:50 am

I think a lawyer would have a tough time arguing that Dave Grohl was the key component of Nirvana, particularly with the Uncle Tupelo/Wilco precedent.
I missed this.

Dave Grohl's best effort as a musician was when he covered Baker Street with 'Foo Fighters'.

His most honest moment was when he screamed "I DON'T OWE YOU ANYTHING!".

Carry on.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Kind of annoyed by this thread. Kind of some bullshit to talk about groups that haven't been picked under the (weird) assumption that 7 or 8 picks in, we haven't pulled them up yet and never will.

I spent the better part of yesterday listening to the entire discography of one artist mentioned here to decide which one to put on my board. Kind of feel like scratching it off now.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

And I keep saying "kind of" recognizing that this is all stupid and trying not to take it too seriously.

Kind of.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Everyone add spoiler tags.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:14 pm

I missed this.

Dave Grohl's best effort as a musician was when he covered Baker Street with 'Foo Fighters'.

Carry on.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

bfj wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:28 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:14 pm

I missed this.

Carry on.
Yeah, that was just a bad take.
Totally Kafkaesque
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Meh. He comes across as blasé as any alternative rock and roll artist I can remember. To me, he’s the Target/Walmart of rock and roll. Not quite stoner as QOTSA and nothing really to say like a Pearl Jam.

But hey, I love Steey Dan, and my father would be quick to point out that renders my opinion obsolete (he’s an insufferable jazz snob).
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:52 am Yeah, as a Swamp Album Draft appellate attorney, the court's precedent is clear wrt Foo Fighters. The good thing about selecting them is that picking an album out from the collection shouldn't be hard because they all sound the same.
This was half in jest. I loved the first album, and liked each subsequent album a little less than the one before. By the time One by One rolled around, it all sounded the same to me.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

When I want to get fired up, I listen to Foo Fighters. When I want to come back down, I listen to Coldplay.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Dark Side of The Moon released this date in 1973

Rush's debut album released this date in 1974
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:21 pm Meh. He comes across as blasé as any alternative rock and roll artist I can remember. To me, he’s the Target/Walmart of rock and roll. Not quite stoner as QOTSA and nothing really to say like a Pearl Jam.

But hey, I love Steey Dan, and my father would be quick to point out that renders my opinion obsolete (he’s an insufferable jazz snob).
So it’s genetic?
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:31 pmI loved the first album, and liked each subsequent album a little less than the one before. By the time One by One rolled around, it all sounded the same to me.
Yeah, I'm on board with that. I really love that first all-Dave album though. The second one too, and it's probably the better album, but the first is still my favorite.
Totally Kafkaesque
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I feel like FF would be the best example for me of wanting to draft a Greatest Hits album. I've never loved anything from them front to back, but I do listen to them regularly, like their sound, and enjoy things from way back all the way up to Wasting Light. I just don't love one enough that I could say I want that album at the Cabin to throw on and let it spin.

Hot take: for all the love Grohl gets for being in Nirvana and all that, Taylor Hawkins stands toe to toe with a lot of great drummers. He's insane.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

You guys really don't like the Foos, huh? I feel like a ton of somewhat similar, but inferior bands have gone.

I would have guessed Nine Inch Nails might have rated higher than this for somebody too. I know it's not everyone's taste, but nobody?
Totally Kafkaesque