Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - BFJ (329th) + SKIP J-LO (324/325th)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

BSF21
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - PDX (146th)

Post by BSF21 »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:28 pm
BSF21 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:25 pm
rass wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:16 pm
BSF21 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:09 pm Pretty sure my audacity to wait until 11am on a Monday after the last pick was at 11:55 on a Friday night is skewing my average a bit,
That one hurt, but there have been three other occasions when the prior pick was made early evening East coast time and you didn't make your pick until late morning the next day.

To your credit, you took 2 minutes once, and a little over 1/2 hour one other time. All others have been well over 2 hours.
Gotta make sure I plan this next work trip around my next pick. Wouldn't want to make it hard on anyone.

(In all honesty, I'm astonished about how well this has progressed given our other attempts at drafts.)

((Any interest in someone putting together an alphabetical list of artists taken so far? That spreadsheet is a lot of info to absorb and we're getting into my not being able to remember 150 picks territory.))
Question is whether or not the board can support a sortable spreadsheet / table.
The one stickied on the front post works great for me, but you can only see about 15 cells at a time, so scrolling and scrolling and trying to remember the list is getting harder and harder. 69nice.jpg
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:29 pm
BSF21 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:09 pm Pretty sure my audacity to wait until 11am on a Monday after the last pick was at 11:55 on a Friday night is skewing my average a bit,
That one hurt, but there have been three other occasions when the prior pick was made early evening East coast time and you didn't make your pick until late morning the next day.

To your credit, you took 2 minutes once, and a little over 1/2 hour one other time. All others have been well over 2 hours.
Gotta make sure I plan this next work trip around my next pick. Wouldn't want to make it hard on anyone.

(In all honesty, I'm astonished about how well this has progressed given our other attempts at drafts.)

((Any interest in someone putting together an alphabetical list of artists taken so far? That spreadsheet is a lot of info to absorb and we're getting into my not being able to remember 150 picks territory.))
Question is whether or not the board can support a sortable spreadsheet / table.
The one stickied on the front post works great for me, but you can only see about 15 cells at a time, so scrolling and scrolling and trying to remember the list is getting harder and harder. 69nice.jpg
Click on the link in all caps at the top of the post?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

rass wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:31 pm
BSF21 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:29 pm

Click on the link in all caps at the top of the post?
Oh you can even sort the sheet A->Z -- Awesome. Thanks boss.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Alpha is on the second sheet: https://tinyurl.com/yc5o7u36
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - J-LO (144-145th)

Post by sancarlos »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:26 pm
Jerloma wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:05 pm Image

I’m more a fan of A Day at the Races, but you’re not wrong.
Sheer Heart Attack, baby! But, ANATO is great, too.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:37 pm

Alpha is on the second sheet: https://tinyurl.com/yc5o7u36
Like a boss!
Noli Timere Messorem
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I'm still working my way through various albums on this list. I'm listening to Roxy Music now, a band I've never liked. I really only remembered them from early 80s MTV days when I thought their stuff was unbearably boring. I just didn't see the appeal in them or Bryan Ferry. This album is pretty good though.

(BTW, I was on a plane with Bryan Ferry a few years ago somewhere in Europe. I had no idea, but wondered why a crowd was gathering after we got off the plane. Someone else on the plane explained the commotion.)
Totally Kafkaesque
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Not gonna lie, this is a tough one to 'get', and I certainly wouldn't begrudge anyone for not listening to an hour-long song about ancient stoners trudging through the desert. But when it clicks, oh lord. This sums it up better than I can:
The origin story of ‘‘Dopesmoker’’ sounds like a light-bulb joke co-written by Nancy Reagan and Sisyphus: Three California stoners decide to write a song about how much they love marijuana, but they’re so high that it takes them four years. When they finally deliver the song to their record label, the label refuses to release it. And so the band breaks up without the world hearing their wonderful heavy-metal jam about weed. Don’t do drugs. The end.

At this point, any sane adult tut-tuts the predictably lame outcome of two dumb subcultures commingling: When potheads try making heavy metal, nothing much happens — and too loudly. But great art transcends the strictures of its pedigree. Our three pothead friends, whose band is called Sleep, have since been vindicated. After years of unofficial and official releases, bootlegs and specially remastered collectors’ editions, ‘‘Dopesmoker’’ is now recognized as a masterpiece of the stoner-metal genre and one of the most formidable recordings of the past 20 years. It’s also bonkers: breathtakingly, bong-shakingly so. Everyone should listen to it all the time.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

huh.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I'm supposed to follow that? I'm going to be a little bit.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:02 pm I'm supposed to follow that? I'm going to be a little bit.
Probably want to get high first too.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - LJAM (142nd)

Post by P.D.X. »

brian wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:06 pm Takk is an interesting choice for Sigur Ros (granted, it's PDX's choice and no one else's).

Ágætis byrjun would be the one the hipsters/cool kids would select and ( ) is the probably the most well-known and "popular". Personally I think Takk is wicked underrated.
Yeah coulda gone with any of those. Happened to spin Takk the other night and the atmosphere is just hitting me right these days.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Sometimes I say I've never heard of a band or song, and I know that I'm probably wrong. I've heard of them and probably heard their music, but I forgot, at least temporarily.

But I'm pretty confident I've never heard of Sleep or Dopesmoker. Or the stoner-metal genre (unless Tool or Dream Theater counts).
Totally Kafkaesque
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Shirley wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:45 pm Or the stoner-metal genre (unless Tool or Dream Theater counts).
I think the more "mainstream" of the genre would be like Wolfmother, early QOTSA (and specifically Homme's band prior to that - Kyuss), Melvins, Monster Magnet, The Sword, etc.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Bouncing around a few different albums. This is one I remember the album cover and hearing it on vinyl on my parents’ stereo. Plus California Dreamin’ is among my favorites all-time songs. And Michelle Phillips slung out in the tub made a 7-year-old L-Jam have a strange feeling in his pants.

The Mamas and the Papas: If You Can Believe Your Eyes And Ears

Can someone post the photo? I’m on my phone.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:48 pm Bouncing around a few different albums. This is one I remember the album cover and hearing it on vinyl on my parents’ stereo. Plus California Dreamin’ is among my favorites all-time songs. And Michelle Phillips slung out in the tub made a 7-year-old L-Jam have a strange feeling in his pants.

The Mamas and the Papas: If You Can Believe Your Eyes And Ears
Can someone post the photo? I’m on my phone.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Great songs and all but man, fuck those apostrophes
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

P.D.X. wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:16 pm
Shirley wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:45 pm Or the stoner-metal genre (unless Tool or Dream Theater counts).
I think the more "mainstream" of the genre would be like Wolfmother, early QOTSA (and specifically Homme's band prior to that - Kyuss), Melvins, Monster Magnet, The Sword, etc.
Ah, you're right. I do know stoner-metal. Still sleeping on Sleep though. I'll have to try that one out. I like me some QOTSA.
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - CHEDDA (148th)

Post by govmentchedda »

Over 2 hours of Tupac is still on the board?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - BFJ (149th)

Post by mister d »

I thought my next pick was fucked here.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

John Hiatt — Slow Turning

BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Artist was mentioned here recently and then had to go and show up at that awards show last weekend. Should have been gone a few rounds ago and I assume no chance this one makes it back so its my pick now ...

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, seeing him the other night had me thinking.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Damn it.

The albums/artists that slip your mind when building lists.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:34 am Yeah, seeing him the other night had me thinking.
Yeah, I saw it mentioned on twitter and first thought "neat!" and then thought "uh-oh, the draft!"
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I love John Hiatt, that’s a great album.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - SANCARLOS (151st)

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Alright, next dude who is on the clock that posts in here needs a demerit or something.

(I am kidding, for the record.)
Last edited by Nonlinear FC on Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

In his defense, I didn't have him in the header at the time.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Gotta take my wife to the doctor's this afternoon and want to pre-load a selection. But I really can't believe this artist/album are still alive, so I'm not going to jinx it.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sorry. Didn't realize I was up.

I am a Jay Farrar fanboy, so this was always in the queue.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:42 pm Gotta take my wife to the doctor's this afternoon and want to pre-load a selection. But I really can't believe this artist/album are still alive, so I'm not going to jinx it.
Unless it’s a 3 day appointment you should be ok since BSF is before you.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:17 pm Sorry. Didn't realize I was up.

I am a Jay Farrar fanboy, so this was always in the queue.

In one of those weird serendipitous moments that seem to happen here a lot, I just learned earlier today that one of my customers at the St Louis Post-Dispatch actually maintains Jay Farrar's Facebook page (though presumably not Son Volt's).

It's a long story how I discovered it, but I sent her what in retrospect was probably a highly unprofessional email based on a screenshot I saw and she said they've been friends since high school and she does it on the arm since she has to do a bunch of other ones for STLToday.com, etc. Small world.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - DIS (152nd)

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Hopefully this is still on the board:

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Making this pick on behalf of team Rush is honorary captain Zip...

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Wait, um... Uh oh.

Awk. Ward.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Feels safe.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:51 pmFeels safe.
:D
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:54 pm Hopefully this is still on the board:

AAARGGHHHHH
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Fair warning, I'm out for the night. I'll let the commish sort out this egregious behavior and hopefully post my next pick in the morn'.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Aw shit rushed to make a pick before I left work and have been a solo dad all evening. Well BSF was gonna pick some Americana stuff anyway.