Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - BFJ (329th) + SKIP J-LO (324/325th)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

BSF21
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - DIS (152nd)

Post by BSF21 »

Making it quick cuz I gotta get gone. Think I'll jam to a little of this on the road today.

BSF selects:

B.B. King -- Indianola Mississippi Seeds

Carole King and Joe Walsh among others session on this. So that's neat. Later Frogs!
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

So, probably would've picked this album sooner, but I really struggled with what album to choose. At the end of the day, even though I know The Moon & Antarctica is often lauded as their best, I can't deny this is my favorite.

Modest Mouse - Good News for People Who Love Bad News

You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - ENOCHROOT (156th)

Post by bfj »

Just a thanks to Giff for the Spotify link. I no longer have to think about what I want to listen to while working.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

OK it’s high time (heh) I acknowledge that I’ve been to about 125 Phish shows since August 2nd, 1993 (and that I’m going to yet another festival of theirs, CurveBall this coming summer).

To me, this is the LP that is prototypical of what a good LP should be. While a lot of their other LPs are full of great tracks, they’re all left to find their own way to a conclusion. LIke they were more or less “We’re gonna play these tracks a lot better this summer, see ya then!” efforts. Billy Breathes stands on its own. I’m sure Steve Lillywhite had a hand in that. Runner up would’ve been Hoist or Farmhouse.
Noli Timere Messorem
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:52 am OK it’s high time (heh) I acknowledge that I’ve been to about 125 Phish shows since August 2nd, 1993 (and that I’m going to yet another festival of theirs, CurveBall this coming summer).

To me, this is the LP that is prototypical of what a good LP should be. While a lot of their other LPs are full of great tracks, they’re all left to find their own way to a conclusion. LIke they were more or less “We’re gonna play these tracks a lot better this summer, see ya then!” efforts. Billy Breathes stands on its own. I’m sure Steve Lillywhite had a hand in that. Runner up would’ve been Hoist or Farmhouse.
I thought about this one.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Wonder if the birthday boy is going to pick today?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Giff wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:10 am Wonder if the birthday boy is going to pick today?
Glad you said that, because I otherwise would have been waiting on you (or for misturd to change the thread title).
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Giff wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:56 am
EnochRoot wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:52 am OK it’s high time (heh) I acknowledge that I’ve been to about 125 Phish shows since August 2nd, 1993 (and that I’m going to yet another festival of theirs, CurveBall this coming summer).

I put off when I should draft one of their LPs, banking that I could get away with it for a while, based on the general lack-of-Phish in the other threads over the past couple years since return.

Also, I was conflicted back in the 90s. I had seen them a bunch, but frankly (like many) I found their studio efforts boring and unreflective of their live stuff. I mean, It’s tough to stay inside on the joke when you’re made to listen to the studio version of Tweezer. Some of the tracks on this LP are famous for their live versions (Free, Theme From the Bottom), but this is the one LP (particularly the entire second side) that sounds as good in the studio (or better) than live. Phish is famously backwards in that regard, but not with Billy Breathes.
Last edited by EnochRoot on Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Workin through playlist still. On NWA. Dang. I just can't get with this these days.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Fiona Apple - When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks like a King What He Knows Throws the Blows When He Goes to the Fight and He'll Win the Whole Thing 'fore He Enters the Ring There's No Body to Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might so When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand and Remember That Depth Is the Greatest of Heights and If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where to Land and If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You'll Know That You're Right

Sexy. Angry. Vulnerable.

Did I mention angry? Has an advantage over her previous release that it doesn't include Criminal and therefore doesn't remind me of Zaz singing.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

This one will get made fun of I'm sure. But I want to remember the video where I really discovered my body one summer.

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I don't care if I do get made fun of. This wasn't typical hair metal - the lyrics were not just about getting laid and partying. Opening to "Monkey Business" still one of the most badass there is.

Skid Row, slave to the grind
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

This part of the draft shoots from the hip.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Enoch, I was thinking I could wait quite awhile to pick them.

I probably would have gone with an early album though. Rift most likely. It's an album that I didn't like at first listen, then came to really love. Plus it hits on my digging of prog and fusion.

Funny that you mentioned Tweezer, my big touring year was '97. Saw 20 shows that Summer / Fall. I think I heard Tweezer at 15 of them. Wasn't a big fan then, still am not a fan.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Rass's spreadsheet > promise of Jetski
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:23 am This part of the draft shoots from the hip.
Four picks in 1/2 an hour. Not bad.

Sebastian Bach will always be appreciated for his Gilmore Girls role.

Though I would have had a tough time not taking their eponymous (previous) release if forced.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

For the record I had Madonna on my list, but more a fan of True Blue, Bedtime Stories, or Ray of Light.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:29 am
A_B wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:23 am This part of the draft shoots from the hip.
Four picks in 1/2 an hour. Not bad.

Sebastian Bach will always be appreciated for his Gilmore Girls role.

Though I would have had a tough time not taking their eponymous (previous) release if forced.
I love that one, too, but I thought this one was just a skosh better.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Giff wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:20 am This one will get made fun of I'm sure. But I want to remember the video where I really discovered my body one summer.
To adapt a lyric from a previously selected band (but not album) in honor of the explanation of this pick, and the Confessions thread:

Can I get a minute of not being nervous
And not thinking of Giff's dick.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:43 am So, probably would've picked this album sooner, but I really struggled with what album to choose. At the end of the day, even though I know The Moon & Antarctica is often lauded as their best, I can't deny this is my favorite.

Modest Mouse - Good News for People Who Love Bad News

Love that album. I'm a little surprised given the tastes of this group that Modest Mouse lasted so long.
Totally Kafkaesque
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:23 am Enoch, I was thinking I could wait quite awhile to pick them.

I probably would have gone with an early album though. Rift most likely. It's an album that I didn't like at first listen, then came to really love. Plus it hits on my digging of prog and fusion.

Funny that you mentioned Tweezer, my big touring year was '97. Saw 20 shows that Summer / Fall. I think I heard Tweezer at 15 of them. Wasn't a big fan then, still am not a fan.
I relocated from FL to NH that summer. First thing we did of note was to hit Great Went (other shows from ‘97 were the Woosta and Albany shows). Tweezer sucks. The jams that get built from it, do not. Hence, when Trey abandons it cuz he gets it into his head he wants to drop a Tube instead, frustration ensues (not for ‘Tube’, but rather, the lack of the Tweezer jam).

As for progressive rock? I’m a big fan. Don’t sleep on any of your picks!
Noli Timere Messorem
Ryan
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - PRUITT (160th)

Post by Ryan »

Side discush - What do you guys think was a better year for Billboard #1 albums?

1969 (Beatles, Supremes, Glen Campbell, Johnny Cash, CCR, Led Zeppelin...)

OR

2010 (Ke$ha, Cast of Glee, Justin Bieber, Ludacris, Avenged Sevenfold, Susan Boyle...)

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm not sure how to properly phrase this ... "Like a Prayer" is the song I love the most from an artist I otherwise like the least. Like the song rating 1-10 minus the artist rating 1-10, this would be the biggest gap.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I went out with a woman who was obsessed with Madonna. Heard far too much of her back then (but I will give the woman her due. She knows what she's doing in the studio). And "Ray of Light" is a wicked tune.

But for my choice, I am going with one of the all-time greats Fela Kuti. Get to know this guy, he created some of the most original, hard-driving and angry music ever produced. A lot of his stuff sounds similar until you get into it, and he released a ton of great albums. "Zombie" wa sthe first one I heard and it blew me away.

But "O.D.O.O" could be his masterpiece - the album I had consisted of two half hour epics ("Overtake Don Overtake, Overtake" and "Confusion Break Bones") Cool funky music that builds to a crescendo while Fela rips apart the venal leaders who are destroying Africa.

Truly one of the greatest artists of the 20th century.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

This album just makes me feel good. Reminds me of college. Enough for me to take it with me to my cabin.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

When I think of that band, I think of Hank Hill.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:15 am
Giff wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:56 am

I put off when I should draft one of their LPs, banking that I could get away with it for a while, based on the general lack-of-Phish in the other threads over the past couple years since return.

Also, I was conflicted back in the 90s. I had seen them a bunch, but frankly (like many) I found their studio efforts boring and unreflective of their live stuff. I mean, It’s tough to stay inside on the joke when you’re made to listen to the studio version of Tweezer. Some of the tracks on this LP are famous for their live versions (Free, Theme From the Bottom), but this is the one LP (particularly the entire second side) that sounds as good in the studio (or better) than live. Phish is famously backwards in that regard, but not with Billy Breathes.
They were going to be gone by Rd10 from me. Love this album, never been to a live show. (My BIL is a huge fan, I just can't get into the jam band live scene.) But I really got into them for awhile. To the point that Vida Blue's eponymous album was in heavy rotation for a couple of months.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

"And if ya don't know, now ya know" - Stuart Scott

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I'm waffling on the other one - someone make a funny comment about who I'm probably taking and I'll probably take him/her/them

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Rolling through In An Aeroplane Over the Sea during a snow day here and on "Oh Comely" I got this exchange with the 6 year old:

"Does he know this song is ... kinda weird?"

"I think so. Do you like it?"

"... I think I do."
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Ryan wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:48 pm I'm waffling on the other one - someone make a funny comment about who I'm probably taking and I'll probably take him/her/them
Oops, you did it again?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:55 am I'm not sure how to properly phrase this ... "Like a Prayer" is the song I love the most from an artist I otherwise like the least. Like the song rating 1-10 minus the artist rating 1-10, this would be the biggest gap.
Get out of my head, man.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Was going to play it safe here, but I'm going for the Hail Mary. The Rock N' Jock 8-run homer ball. The halfcourt 3. The curling thing that's good.

Eat my entire ass. Draft won.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ryan wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:44 pm "And if ya don't know, now ya know" - Stuart Scott
Even knowing the intent, this makes me so mad.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Damn ryan.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

rass wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:58 pmDamn ryan.
Sometimes, good is good

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Did we ever decide how long the draft will be?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Been waiting for one of you guys to put your money where your mouth is on Huey. There's another group in this category I'm surprised is still out there.

Hoping ryan picks them so I can burn the cabin down and be done with it in one fell swoop.
Giff
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - DUFF (164th)

Post by Giff »

9 rounds took 29 days.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:02 pm Been waiting for one of you guys to put your money where your mouth is on Huey. There's another group in this category I'm surprised is still out there.
They're only still available because my wife isn't in this draft.