The Indictment Thread (Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part II)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Re: The Indictment Thread (Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part II)

Post by Joe K »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:18 am John Bolton is a fucking lunatic. And now he has real power...before, with W, he was just the UN ambassador, which is nothing but window dressing.

Sorry Johnnie....but we are definitely going to war. My money is on Iran, which will make Iraq look like a walk in the park.
Bolton sure seems to be itching for World War III. In an article he published in December 2017, he wrote that a "Russian-Iranian axis should rank alongside Iran's nuclear-weapons program on America's list of threats emanating from the Middle East." Remember that fun word "axis"? In that same article he referred to Russia as a "menace in Eastern and Central Europe." (Funny how the same guy who finds Russian influence over neighboring countries as "menacing" thinks that the U.S. is entitled to dominate and destroy the Middle East.) For all the claims that Trump has Putin on speed-dial, I find the confirmed fact that he's taking advice from Bolton to be a lot scarier.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Joe K wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:36 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:18 am John Bolton is a fucking lunatic. And now he has real power...before, with W, he was just the UN ambassador, which is nothing but window dressing.

Sorry Johnnie....but we are definitely going to war. My money is on Iran, which will make Iraq look like a walk in the park.
Bolton sure seems to be itching for World War III. In an article he published in December 2017, he wrote that a "Russian-Iranian axis should rank alongside Iran's nuclear-weapons program on America's list of threats emanating from the Middle East." Remember that fun word "axis"? In that same article he referred to Russia as a "menace in Eastern and Central Europe." (Funny how the same guy who finds Russian influence over neighboring countries as "menacing" thinks that the U.S. is entitled to dominate and destroy the Middle East.) For all the claims that Trump has Putin on speed-dial, I find the confirmed fact that he's taking advice from Bolton to be a lot scarier.
Eh. Putin’s worse. Congress can still tell Trump to fuck off about any wars.
Noli Timere Messorem
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:53 am

When’s the last time Congress actually declared a war?

ETA: more to my point, how many countries had the US military been in during the last several decades without their having been any authorizing Congressional vote? And even if Trump cared about the legality of a war, you don’t think he would argue that the AUMF applies to Iran?
Last edited by Joe K on Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Joe K wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:56 am

Was gonna say something similar. Military action doesn't seem to depend on congressional approval.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

ETA: more to my point, how many countries had the US military been in during the last several decades without their having been any authorizing Congressional vote? And even if Trump cared about the legality of a war, you don’t think he would argue that the AUMF applies to Iran?
'War' was the wrong word to use. Congress gave Bush full backing on Iraq. I'd like to think that well's run dry. I know the American public is tired of it. Hell, that's probably reason #1.02 why Trump's in office (Clinton's hawkish tendencies).

At any rate, a viciously unpopular president would need to drum up the case for any incursion in Iran though, in order to stipulate the difference between which state-sponsored terror to target (Iran or Saudi Arabia).
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:03 am

Unicorns frown on gifs.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I apologize. I should've addressed your apparent marginalization of the Mueller investigation first. Sorry. It's interesting what the tipping point proves to be for some, but not necessarily others.
Noli Timere Messorem
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:11 am

'War' was the wrong word to use. Congress gave Bush full backing on Iraq. I'd like to think that well's run dry. I know the American public is tired of it. Hell, that's probably reason #1.02 why Trump's in office (Clinton's hawkish tendencies).

At any rate, a viciously unpopular president would need to drum up the case for any incursion in Iran though, in order to stipulate the difference between which state-sponsored terror to target (Iran or Saudi Arabia).
You’re more optimistic than I am. I think the GOP would quickly fall in line for a war with Iran and a number of prominent Democrats, like Chuck Schumer, are also pretty extreme hardliners on Iran.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:37 am

I apologize. I should've addressed your apparent marginalization of the Mueller investigation first. Sorry. It's interesting what the tipping point proves to be for some, but not necessarily others.
I didn’t intend to criticize the Mueller investigation, which has had appropriate findings with strong evidentiary support. But I do find it interesting how Trump firing Tillerson last week was treated as evidence of Russia pulling the strings, even though Trump has also hired and promoted a number of strong anti-Russia zealots like Bolton. Bolton had consistently called for a harder line on Russia and at times seems to include it in the long list of countries he’d like to go to war with.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

To me that's exactly WHY he'd hire anti-russian zealots.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Is it really right to put Bolton in the "Anti-Russia zealot" box? Doesn't he want a war with everyone?

Anyway, I'd be surprised if we hear much anti-Russia stuff from Bolton now. There are so many other wars he can start that he'll fall in line on Russia. Like Sessions absorbs all kinds of abuse from Trump because otherwise Sessions would have to give up his chance to put more dark people in jail.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

he didn't listen to mcmaster ... why is he going to listen to bolton?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:04 pm he didn't listen to mcmaster ... why is he going to listen to bolton?
Fox News?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I'd prefer him not-listen to someone less evil.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:10 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:04 pm he didn't listen to mcmaster ... why is he going to listen to bolton?
Fox News?
oh, I think that's the reason -- because Bolton talks tough on Fox News

but shit, Trump talks tough too. I'm not trying to minimize this (it's bad) but at the same time, I do wonder just how much influence he'll have over Trump's crazy brain
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I do agree that the most accurate doppelgänger for Trump in mass media is Calvin. They pretty much behave the same way - immature, narcissistic; id run amok.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Calvin is self-aware, just not repentant. I don't like this comp at all.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

When Republicans Rejected John Bolton

Very, very scary.

Just a sample -
As under secretary of state, Mr. Bolton insisted that Cuba was attempting to build a biological weapons program. The national intelligence officer for Latin America and the State Department’s top biological weapons expert disagreed. In a fit of rage, Mr. Bolton tried to have both reassigned.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The transgender ban is back to distract you from the fact that Stormy Daniels has an interview Sunday and there's probable video of Trump fucking her if this tweet from her lawyer means what I think it means.

We are living in the dumbest reality tv show timeline ever.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I... First off I hate myself for discussing this somewhat rationally.

But I thought she said they only fucked once, and I thought it was his room.

Though if he was dumb enough to let a porn star record him in his own room, then that pretty much confirms the Russians have footage of some sort.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:10 am The transgender ban is back to distract you from the fact that Stormy Daniels has an interview Sunday and there's probable video of Trump fucking her if this tweet from her lawyer means what I think it means.

We are living in the dumbest reality tv show timeline ever.
It's like all the much discussed "Decline of the American Empire" is happening at warp speed.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A sign from one of the marches today...

Noli Timere Messorem
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:52 pm A sign from one of the marches today...

If I had been drinking something I would have snarfed
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Finally found something that Trump is good at that’s fits in here at The Swamp: lawyer jokes.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Who knew 15 had a Twitter account?

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I'm no lawyer...

But this Cohen fella doesn't really seem to be a Matlock.

Or am I wrong?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I'm a lawyer.

He's no Matlock.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

When does he get disbarred? What needs to happen at this point?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:49 am I'm a lawyer.

He's no Matlock.
The fact that Trump (or whatever his alias was) didn't sign the NDA seems ridiculous. Is it enough to void it?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I would think so, although an argument could be made that receipt of the funds was acceptance of the deal.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:18 am I would think so, although an argument could be made that receipt of the funds was acceptance of the deal.
I would respectfully disagree. As long as a party manifests assent to a deal, it doesn't need to be in writing at all, let alone signed. (Unless the Statute of Frauds applies, and I don't see how it would.) As far as I can tell, this entire deal could have been made orally (heh). The purpose of a writing in this case is for clarity, to document what the actual agreement was. It isn't necessary for the agreement to have legal effect. So I can't see how a lack of signature would affect the validity.

Plus, Stormy Daniels wasn't going into this deal to get a signature from Donald. She did the deal for a payment, and presumably she got that payment. And having accepted the payment pursuant to the deal, she would be hard pressed (heh) to argue that there was no deal because it wasn't signed.

I think the only way she can get out of the deal is to argue that Trump breached it somehow, perhaps by Trump himself saying things about her or their relationship. And I don't know if that will fly.

So I think Stormy could easily be found in breach of the NDA. I don't know what state's law applies, but it is quite possible she really will be liable for liquidated damages and that the issue will be decided in a secret arbitration.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm no lawyer, but I think that sounds right, but I think the thinking by her legal team is that they have enough donors to absorb whatever the settlement for violating the NDA might be and that it's better for her and the nation to have violated it. (This, I presume, is why she's only done/doing one interview where she explicitly violates it.)
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:37 am I'm no lawyer, but I think that sounds right, but I think the thinking by her legal team is that they have enough donors to absorb whatever the settlement for violating the NDA might be and that it's better for her and the nation to have violated it. (This, I presume, is why she's only done/doing one interview where she explicitly violates it.)
I agree with this, although I'm not sure how she monetizes her situation going forward without writing a book or giving speeches about her dealings with Trump.

Some states hold that liquidated damages clauses are unenforceable or only enforceable in limited situations. Unfortunately for her, I think this is the kind of situation where liquidated damages are usually enforced. (I generally include them in non-disparagement and non-disclosure agreements I draft.) But I don't know about California or New York (or whatever) law on that.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:37 am I'm no lawyer, but...
Apropos of nothing and off the subject, but that reminds me... One of my best friends is a former co-worker who was one of our company attorneys. He always jokingly said I was an honorary part of his department, because he claimed I always started conversations with him by saying, "I'm not a lawyer, but...".
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

To be fair, "I'm not a lawyer" is a useful disclaimer in Swamp discussions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Stormy's lawyer hitting Trump where it hurts (him).