Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Movies

Post by A_B »

I assume all the dogs die because the island disappears due to rising seas.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

Went to see the fish fucking movie today. Mr. Moreta asked the ticket seller for 2 tickets for Grinding Nemo. He had to explain the joke, the attempt at which was funnier than the joke.

Movie was good. Weird but good.
[+] spoiler
I think it would have benefited from completely eliminating the sexual encounter betweeen Bad Dude and his wife, as well as the pass Bad Dude makes at Mute Girl. We already knew he was a jackass, so it doesn’t demonstrate something we don’t know about his character, and it doesn’t advance the plot. If his obsession with silent women was part of the denouement, it would be different, but it went nowhere.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Moreta wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:53 pm Went to see the fish fucking movie today. Mr. Moreta asked the ticket seller for 2 tickets for Grinding Nemo. He had to explain the joke, the attempt at which was funnier than the joke.

Movie was good. Weird but good.
[+] spoiler
I think it would have benefited from completely eliminating the sexual encounter betweeen Bad Dude and his wife, as well as the pass Bad Dude makes at Mute Girl. We already knew he was a jackass, so it doesn’t demonstrate something we don’t know about his character, and it doesn’t advance the plot. If his obsession with silent women was part of the denouement, it would be different, but it went nowhere.
Come on, give the guy a break. That joke is great.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

It is an excellent joke, but explaining it to clueless kid was better.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

It's a little derivative.
Totally Kafkaesque
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I saw the Greatest Showman the other night. It was different but I couldn't really get into it.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Shirley wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:41 pm

It's a little derivative.
Terry. Fucking. Crews!
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This belongs here for sure.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:51 am I've sworn off superhero movies, but because of all the great reviews, I took the GF and my girls to see Wonder Woman.

And its really good. Chris Pine is great as the "love interest/sidekick", and Gal Gadot is fantastic.
Finally watched it today, and man, that is by far the best superhero movie that I have seen. Start to finish, it hit the right tone, had big picture issue and tight focus, really well directed, looked great, and the two leads were perfect. Gal Gadot played the strong woman out of her element so well.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We watched '3 Billboards..' last night, and it was decidedly 'ok'. The acting was really good, but the story just didn't go anywhere for us. The ending was amazingly unsatisfying.

Was funny to see 'Lester Freeman' from The Wire show up.

And the GF's pet peeve? 'That doesn't look anything like Missouri' (she grew up in Columbia). We looked up where it was actually filmed, and then asked 'Why didn't they call it 3 Billboards Outside Of Ebbing, North Carolina'?

ETA: How did I not know that Peter Dinklage is in it? And sporting an amazing mustache?
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

Saw Pacific Rim 2. Action is better paced than the first one, feels like there is little down time between big monsters/robots fighting. Everything else is as cliche as expected. Worth seeing in theater, but if you wanted to hold out for the $3 movie theater showing I wouldn't stop you.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Jumanji reboot was shockingly good.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:09 pm The Jumanji reboot was shockingly good.
Yeah, I watched that last weekend and really liked it. Somehow I'd managed to see no trailers or clips about it before hand. I knew it made a ton of money, but I guess I was all Star Wars when Jumanji came out.
Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Love, Simon was adorbs.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:35 pm We watched '3 Billboards..' last night, and it was decidedly 'ok'. The acting was really good, but the story just didn't go anywhere for us. The ending was amazingly unsatisfying.
I'm OK with movies or books that don't completely wrap thing up, but my wife fucking HATES it.

She liked the movie, but I know she would've been a lot more satisfied with something a little more concrete at the end.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
That French Guy
Maude Lebowski

Post by That French Guy »

I went to see Shape of water and Ready Player One this weekend, and both are a solid 'Meh'. Just not worth the hype. And though I m very much the demô target for the latter, I found it hollow and pointless (just looking in the back grounds to find movies or video characters from my childhood is not fullfilling enough to carry the movie, especially with bland actors and weak story). I ll admit it's visualisy stunning at times though.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I watched Three Billboards on a plane tonight and I thought it was great. Frances McDormand was incredible, as always, and frankly nearly the whole cast did a great job. The only one I didn't buy was Peter Dinklage, probably because his southern accent was so bad.

The story arc was certainly unusual, so I get that some folks won't like it. I also get that the ending was somewhat vague, but come on.
[+] spoiler
Did anything about the last 20-30 minutes of that movie make you think they were going to go through with it. The whole theme was forgiveness and finding away to replace your hate with love (Woody with Frances, Frances with her ex, Red with Dixon, Dixon with Frances, etc.).

I also get being upset at Woody's suicide, but you guys know that people do that every day, right? It's not unusual. He did make some effort (the bag) to hide the gruesome details from his family and he wrote some pretty impressive letters - OK, maybe those were a bit much from a small-town sheriff - to explain his reasoning.
All in all, two thumbs up from me. The more I think about it, the more I liked it.
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

That French Guy wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:32 pm I went to see Shape of water and Ready Player One this weekend, and both are a solid 'Meh'. Just not worth the hype. And though I m very much the demô target for the latter, I found it hollow and pointless (just looking in the back grounds to find movies or video characters from my childhood is not fullfilling enough to carry the movie, especially with bland actors and weak story). I ll admit it's visualisy stunning at times though.
Your take on Ready Player One could double for a review of the book. He created an amazing world, and wasted the entire book on a never-ending stream of pop culture references.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

It is with genuine surprise that I note here that Blockers was awesome.
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

Just watched The Shape of Water. I think it is one of the most beautiful movies I have ever seen. The photography, use of color and the music score were all outstanding, as well as the cast.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I guess it's fair that they get to piggy back on Black Panther...
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Yeah. They probably wouldn’t have sold tickets otherwise.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Also, Game Over, Man from the workaholics crew on Netflix is a fun two hour killer. Not good but fun. But a couple of decent twists.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Shirley wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:36 pm I watched Three Billboards on a plane tonight and I thought it was great. Frances McDormand was incredible, as always, and frankly nearly the whole cast did a great job. The only one I didn't buy was Peter Dinklage, probably because his southern accent was so bad.

The story arc was certainly unusual, so I get that some folks won't like it. I also get that the ending was somewhat vague, but come on.
[+] spoiler
Did anything about the last 20-30 minutes of that movie make you think they were going to go through with it. The whole theme was forgiveness and finding away to replace your hate with love (Woody with Frances, Frances with her ex, Red with Dixon, Dixon with Frances, etc.).

I also get being upset at Woody's suicide, but you guys know that people do that every day, right? It's not unusual. He did make some effort (the bag) to hide the gruesome details from his family and he wrote some pretty impressive letters - OK, maybe those were a bit much from a small-town sheriff - to explain his reasoning.
All in all, two thumbs up from me. The more I think about it, the more I liked it.
More on this. I read some reviews after to get a sense of what others thought of it and why some people didn't like it. One point someone made that resonated with me was that movie was really like a play. That kind of explains why the town seemed to not have that many people in it and you had those coincidences like Frances running into her ex-husband at dinner. I think it maybe would have worked better for some people as a play than as a movie.

One thing I noticed that others of you probably didn't was that in one of the bar scenes, everyone is drinking Duck Rabbit beer. It's a delicious North Carolina beer that they wouldn't have in a small bar in a small town in Missouri.
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Duck Rabbit is quite good, the milk stout especially. Pretty sure it's only distributed as far as Cheerwine used to be distributed, which is to say not far at all.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

You can get Cheerwine at the Cook Out here in lexington, but no where else so far as I know.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

You used to only be able to get Cheerwine within about 50 miles of the bottler. We would always bring some home with us from N.C. It's all over the place down here now.

Just looked at where Duck Rabbit is located. Had no idea it was just outside of Greenville. I always figure any beer brewed in N.C. is in or around Asheville.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Watched A Quiet Place last night. Very solid. Nice take on storytelling. And I liked the ending but....
[+] spoiler
had they continued it another five minutes it would have been. Lot of frigging fun
I’d also recommend not watching it in a theater full of college kids but oh well. Says a lot for a film that it sold out a 930 showing on a Tuesday in middle America. Sure it was discount night(my ticket was free for donating blood!) but still. I go on discount night more often than not and never thAt crowded.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We saw 'Shape of Water' over the weekend, and really enjoyed it. A few thoughts:

- The movie just looked really cool. Had that late 50's/early 60's Mad Men look down perfectly.
- Octavia Spencer is great and all...but she really needs to try playing something besides the 'sassy black woman'. She's talented! Give her more to do!
- We were remarking how strange it is that movies like Moonlight, and Shape of Water, are winning Best Picture these days. In the old days, it would have been The Post, Dunkirk, and Darkest Hour as the frontrunners.
- Michael Shannon should just play the villain in every movie. Dude is seriously intense.
- Not so sure about the hydraulics technology of stuffing a towel under the door and filling the bathroom with water. Seems a bit of a reach and all.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:40 pm
- Michael Shannon should just play the villain in every movie. Dude is seriously intense.
Really looking forward to Fahrenheit 451. He is one of my favorite humans.

well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Did you see Take Shelter? Fantastic movie - Michael Shannon is incredible in it.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:47 am

Did you see Take Shelter? Fantastic movie - Michael Shannon is incredible in it.
I've really want to see this one. Midnight Special was awesome and he was incredible in that one as well.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

Giff wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:54 am

I've really want to see this one. Midnight Special was awesome and he was incredible in that one as well.
Take Shelter was a great movie and Shanon was superb. I wasn't thrilled with the ending, but I highly recommend it. He was also very good as a hitman in The Iceman (i think that was the name of the movie)
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I haven't. I'll have to check it out.

I think my first awareness of him was playing the absolute BATSHIT RELIGIOUS WACKO FBI agent on 'Boardwalk Empire'.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DSafetyGuy's gonna see this one.

Totally Kafkaesque
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I will also be seeing that.
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

me too; loved the first one
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Shirley wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:14 pm DSafetyGuy's gonna see this one.
Oh, I've already watched the trailers.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We saw 'Isle of Dogs' last night. We both enjoyed it (have always been big Wes Anderson fans, and this is a a very 'Wes Anderson-y' movie), but afterwards we were wondering about the 'cultural sensitivity' of it. Was it racist? For instance...why, if the dogs are from Japan, why do they have anglo names like Chief, Boss, Spots, and Nutmeg? And Atari isn't an actual name in Japan, is it?

The stop-motion, overhead view of the kidney transplant was awesome.