Hey Johnnie

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Hey Johnnie

Post by mister d »

Not to be a pedantic dick (this once), the takeaway shouldn't be "care less", it should be "react better", even if the people you're working with are obstinate or idiots or both. That's what working with other people is often about, cordially keeping the entire group unfucked.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Good luck man. And...

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 1:33 pm
A_B wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 1:25 pm Sounds like people you'd definitely want to share a foxhole with. Jeez, that sucks, man.
I've met a good chunk of folks on here in real life, so they know my personality. I have a direct-ness with my words and with how I speak, especially when I'm correct about whatever.

Translate that to my job and constantly being told by leadership and the like that I'm part of the "backbone of the air Force" and a "technical expert" in my career field and "someone who is in a leadership position" etc... and I can certainly understand how I can come off to people. And when I see those people are wrong despite guidance and regulation, I start to internally panic about myself and that translates to stress which translates to anger which translates to being sent home early from a deployment.

Basically I need to give a shit less despite giving a shit more. My logic brain can't compute that. I need to be a politician who remains stoic during everything. Easier said that done.
Just keep in mind, you only need to see out the rest of your time before your pension vests. People are going to be idiots and fuck shit up, just remind yourself that in 3 years, or however long, it won't be your problem.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So are you back in New Mexico? I’ll be there later this year. We can commiserate.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Just gonna echo what Syb said. Keep your head down and your blinders on and just do your remaining time and get out. Hopefully you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. You're well on your way to an honorable discharge, your pension and references (even if it's from other deployments) that should help give you a leg up in the private sector. No reason to blow it up now.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 1:45 pm Good luck bud. We care about you.
Thanks, man. I've learned through all of this that a lot of people are in my corner. I'm not typically used to that so it's refreshing and heartening.
mister d wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 1:46 pm Not to be a pedantic dick (this once), the takeaway shouldn't be "care less", it should be "react better", even if the people you're working with are obstinate or idiots or both. That's what working with other people is often about, cordially keeping the entire group unfucked.
No, you're completely right. I have to consciously stop myself before every sentence, forego my typical sarcasm, and respond in the calmest manner possible.
brian wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 3:32 pm Just gonna echo what Syb said. Keep your head down and your blinders on and just do your remaining time and get out. Hopefully you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. You're well on your way to an honorable discharge, your pension and references (even if it's from other deployments) that should help give you a leg up in the private sector. No reason to blow it up now.
I'll use this to respond to you and Syb. Eyes on the prize. I dealt with the same level of terrible-ness in Germany and was there for about the same amount of time that I have remaining. If I lost out now I'd be crushed. I can't let that happen.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Deep breaths, deep breaths.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Swamp meet-up to get Johnnie high is going to be so awesome.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Giff wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 7:09 pm The Swamp meet-up to get Johnnie high is going to be so awesome.
This can't happen soon enough.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Sabo wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 7:26 pm
Giff wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 7:09 pm The Swamp meet-up to get Johnnie high is going to be so awesome.
This can't happen soon enough.
September 2021. Sigh.

It'll double as a birthday present too.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

You know, let's get this shit on the books. We should have a lot of states to choose from to legally use recreationally at that point.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

TWILTS.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Maybe somewhere with cheap available flights from many places and home to a couple Swampers? Catch some pre-season hockey of the four-time Stanley Cup champions?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

So, Vegas?

(Where I actually plan, as of this time though things could change, to retire out of?)
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Metro Denver has four of us. Flights here are pretty cheap since there are three airlines using this place as a hub.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm down for Denver for sure.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

We can only hope ICP plays Red Rocks and we can Bapo! to join us.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Count me in.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I'm in. Somebody remind me in a couple years.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

NJ will be legal by then, and there is where more fun things in NJ than Vegas.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:40 pm NJ will be legal by then, and there is where more fun things in NJ than Vegas.
Yeah, everybody knows all the hipsters and beautiful people are in Atlantic City nowadays.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:42 pm
The Sybian wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:40 pm NJ will be legal by then, and there is where more fun things in NJ than Vegas.
Yeah, everybody knows all the hipsters and beautiful people are in Atlantic City nowadays.
Never been, no desire to ever go.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That’s incredible. I’m jealous.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

With my kid going to school at DU, I might actually be able to make that work.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Oh hey, yeah, I meant to ask this... Is there a residency requirement to buy pot in CO? I know I could look it up, but lazy.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 3:38 pm Oh hey, yeah, I meant to ask this... Is there a residency requirement to buy pot in CO? I know I could look it up, but lazy.
No, just need a valid ID. Drivers license from FL or a passport would suffice.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 3:38 pm Oh hey, yeah, I meant to ask this... Is there a residency requirement to buy pot in CO? I know I could look it up, but lazy.
No, but there’s a limit on how much you can buy. When I was there last year, it was a quarter a day.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Sabo is somewhat correct. As of late last year, residents and non-residents are able to purchase up to an ounce at a time. Do have to be 21+ however.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Hang in there mate! We're on your side!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:42 am So is this kind of thing looked down upon?
Oh man. I remember this. I had just gotten to my base the month prior. My base and theirs fall under the same Major Command, Global Strike. It's the collection of nuke bases under a unified commander. (This command in and of itself was established over other nuclear incidents from a decade ago.)

The residual effects from this incident hit nearly everyone associated with nukes. And the rest of us fall into the typical blanket briefings and meetings to remind us that "the American public entrusts us to be stewards of the most dangerous and important assets" and whatnot.

And the commanders within Global Strike were taken to the woodshed on Capitol Hill. There were actual conversations of making the nuclear triad a biad (?) because some politicians were losing faith in maintaining silos. People honestly thought that these dudes were doing drugs on nukes at work too. It was nothing more than a typical run of the mill drug sting except the people who got caught worked on really important equipment.

This entire episode was wild to be a part of in a very, very detached sense.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Somebody remind me. Which country is the ally and which isn't?

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I swear, the military is so insulated to this dude's bullshit.

We just keep chugging along with our imperialistic foreign policy (seriously look up how many countries we're actually in right now) and do what we have to do to maintain influence in every region worldwide.

Until actual, tangible policy is written for us that is implemented after rigorous scrutiny by the Pentagon, his tweets and existence are just kinda ignored, in a sense.

Maybe I'm just aloof or conveniently make myself that way, but my job all gets done regardless of who the president is. The position is an empty suit. Bush, Obama, Trump...their interaction in my life is basically indirect at best. I'm far more affected by the leadership of the Secretary of the Air Force, Chief of Staff, and Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force. So when I see he wants to pull out of Korea I just make an air walk motion. The Air Force is supposedly closing down Mildenhall AB in the UK in 2020. The planning for that began in 2013 or some shit. Last I heard it's probably staying open. For another example look at the on again, off again stuff with the A-10. One year it's retirement. The next it's the most important airframe ever.

He's basically looking like an embarrassing in-law right now in front of the whole family (world). We know this relationship is going to end in divorce (election/nuclear holocaust), but we can't excommunicate him from the family yet because the family member (America) he's saying is in love and swears he'll get better. So the real problem isn't even him. It's clearly the family member significant other.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Well this thread was quite something to reread. It's been 4 years and I still haven't started that graduate degree, but that's probably gonna change. I've actually reached out to MIT asking about their blended Supply Chain and Logistics degree and it looks very promising. I'll try to do that once I'm out and retired.

Also, and most importantly, all of the punishment of everything surrounding the fallout from my last deployment is over and done with. No more UIF (went away in June) and no more referral EPR (went away on 30 November). Everything really is temporary. I gotta thank you guys again for supporting me. That was the lowest point of my career and I never want to be there again.

Anyhoo, I can do college again while active duty. In the meantime American Military University (which suffices for a pre-req to MIT, thankfully) is offering the same price for a master's that they are a bachelor's, $250 per credit hour starting in the new year. I can utilize my tuition assistance for that and not have to come out of pocket at all.

So if I'm going to use the GI Bill for an actual Supply Chain degree after the service, is there any reason to do another logistics related one while in the service? Here's the list of what's offered. I'm leaning toward Poly Sci. But the military ones look cool too.

What do you guys think?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Perhaps management?

(as someone with a Poli Sci degree I could argue against it though.)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:18 pm Perhaps management?

(as someone with a Poli Sci degree I could argue against it though.)
I also majored in Poli Sci. Worthless. Go with Space Studies, get a leg up when Space Force starts hiring.
-Pruitt
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Bill Simmons also majored in Poli Sci, so you could use it to break into the underexposed niche market of media empires that are supposed to be about sports in general but really are 90% about Boston teams and movies that came out when you were in your 20s.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I enjoyed my years teaching. It can be rewarding (age dependent of course).
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Yea, I'll have some time to think about it before I actually jump in. I was just thinking "do something because it's free" because I'm in the enviable position of never having college debt. Figured I'd do something enjoyable as opposed to potentially lucrative.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:56 am Yea, I'll have some time to think about it before I actually jump in. I was just thinking "do something because it's free" because I'm in the enviable position of never having college debt. Figured I'd do something enjoyable as opposed to potentially lucrative.

My sister has 5 free Masters because of the Air Force. Go get 'em champ.