May Madness

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

May Madness

Post by wlu_lax6 »

NCAA Lacrosse Tourney

Canisius v. Bobby Mo (Robert Morris) plays Top Seed Terps.
Cuse host Cornell
JHU host Georgetown
Duke host Nova
UMass host Yale
Loyola host UVA
Notre Dame host Denver
Albany host Richmond

Here are the story lines
Terps iconic coach Dick Edell (U of Bmore, Army, Maryland) passed away this week. Known as the Big Man he was a class act.
Could get a UMD-JHU round 3 this season for the semifinals (UMD won just over a weeks ago in triple overtime to take the B1G regular season title and a cool crab trophy, JHU got the W on Saturday night to take the B1G tourney.)
Terps, JHU, Cuse, and Duke slotted to play quarters at Navy.. That could draw HUGE crows if the top seeds hold serve.
Denver's faceoff many (who was supposed to go to Franklin and Marshall) broke the all time face off record in the conference semis.
Albany's top player (and maybe best player in the country) Conner Fields has been hurt. May not suit up but Freshman Tehoka Nanticoke is worth the price of admission.

Lots of bubble teams missed the cut because of upsets in tournaments (primarily Yale and Denver losing). As a result no Rutgers, Bucknell, or Ohio State.

On the D3 side.
W&L plays Transylvania University....How is Transylvania's mascot the pioneers and not the vampire bats. Things you learn when trying to find out about a D3 lacrosse team from Lexington, KY. Transylvania alum include Ned Beatty, Stephen F. Austin, Jefferson Davis, and one of 3 folks from Pittsburgh who was on the Lewis & Clark expedition (Lewis graduated from Liberty Hall---now knows as Washington & Lee University)
Shirley
The Dude

Re: May Madness

Post by Shirley »

So nice to see Virginia finally back in the tourney!

How is Syracuse hosting with an 8-6 record?
Totally Kafkaesque
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Shirley wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:51 am So nice to see Virginia finally back in the tourney!
Playing another dog team from Maryland. That's some good committeeing.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:51 am So nice to see Virginia finally back in the tourney!

Same way Syracuse got into the basketball tournament with a losing record in the ACC? (Reputation, plays in a "power" conference, etc., etc.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

brian wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:25 am

Same way Syracuse got into the basketball tournament with a losing record in the ACC? (Reputation, plays in a "power" conference, etc., etc.)
Loses to #2 seed Albany, #4 seed JHU, Rutgers (ranked pretyt high at the time), Cornell, Ranked Navy team,and Ranked UVA
Wins against Duke (#3 at the time), Notre Dame (#6 a the time), UVA (#5 at the time), Army (#9 at the time).

But here is the other thing---The committee has restrictions on travel. So some of this is cost management
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

A few great games this weekend
Bobby Mo almost beat #1 seed Maryland. Great run for the team from near Pittsburgh.
Denver v. Notre Dame was a fun one.
JHU needed a HUGE comeback to advance past Georgetown in OT
Cuse go out at home in a 1 goal game.
Loyola beats UVA by 2.

Next weekend should be some good ones at Hofstra and Navy (double header quarterfinals).

In D3 land, perennial power Salisbury needed a bigger comeback than JHU to sneak by Christopher Newport
and unfortunately W&L lost in O.T. to Dickinson.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I now have a passing interest in the Pios and enjoyed watching them defeat ND. A little surprised Denver was not seeded... that's a very tough first round for ND.

MD was completely lifeless in the 1st half. It was bizarre.

The Hopkins game was nuts. Rip off 3 to start off the game and then go 30 minutes without a goal... It was 8-3 in the 3rd Q. Then they finally started getting some stops and HOLYSHIT did that Marr kid pull it together. 5 goals to tie it, then the Last Stanwick wins it in OT.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:38 am I now have a passing interest in the Pios and enjoyed watching them defeat ND. A little surprised Denver was not seeded... that's a very tough first round for ND.

MD was completely lifeless in the 1st half. It was bizarre.

The Hopkins game was nuts. Rip off 3 to start off the game and then go 30 minutes without a goal... It was 8-3 in the 3rd Q. Then they finally started getting some stops and HOLYSHIT did that Marr kid pull it together. 5 goals to tie it, then the Last Stanwick wins it in OT.
Were you at JHU when his dad (head coach at Albany) or uncle played there? Those were the teams that I lived and died with during my formative years.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yep, he is a year older. My only real acquaintances were dudes that I knew from the dorms and Quint. I've talked about that in the past, so won't bore folks with it again. Nice guy is all I'll say.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I will also that while it was an interesting interview with the wife, it was in the middle of the stretch where the Hoyas rattled off like 3 or 4 goals to up 8-3. So I was getting really pissed at her, for absolutely no rational reason. :D
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Over under of references on Sunday to the article I posted in the dog thread is 4.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Duke has Hopkins' number.

MD is in for a tester. And Albany is just fun to watch. Pulling for them now.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Of the 5 games this weekend the only game I would have picked was the D2 game. Figured MD would have won and Albany would have taken it to Yale. No way Salisbury would lose to Wesleyan and would have had Duke beating Yale (one of my friends is an official in the final...the one who called the coach "John" on the first foul of the gamge)
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Interesting fact from the Yale side of the house
Baltimore Sun wrote:Morrill, a Baltimore resident and McDonogh graduate, became the fourth generation of his family to claim a national championship. His great grandfather, William Kelso Morrill Sr., helped Johns Hopkins win United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association titles in 1926 and 1927 and then coached the Blue Jays to national titles in 1941 and 1950. Grandfather William Kelso Morrill Jr. factored in Johns Hopkins collecting USILA crowns in 1957 and 1959, and father Michael was a member of the 1985 and 1987 Blue Jays squads that captured NCAA championships