Swamp Travel Guide

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

howard
Karl Hungus

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by howard »

Bojangles in the Charlotte airport, between flights. That, my friends, is what I call living large. Don't hate.

If they opened in NYC, I could go full Homer Simpson/300# and it wouldn't take much more than a year.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I stopped at one on our sojourn through Bojangles country earlier this summer. Egg and ham biscuit hit the damn spot.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

The Charlotte airport, despite being busy as hell at all times, is a pretty good airport.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

As to that, had a 2 hour layover there once, and meh? I think my arrival gate and departure gate were really close, which was great. Not sure if the airport deserves credit for that, though.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

rass wrote:As to that, had a 2 hour layover there once, and meh? I think my arrival gate and departure gate were really close, which was great. Not sure if the airport deserves credit for that, though.

Yeah, but they have rocking chairs in the main concourse. And someone playing the piano near the food court. That makes it better than most!
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Sabo wrote:Yeah, but they have rocking chairs in the main concourse. And someone playing the piano near the food court. That makes it better than most!

And right above that area where the piano player is located, a little second floor balcony w/rocking chairs, by a little chapel. Lots of good food choices, free wifi, I haven't traveled much the last few years but I was impressed. Crowded but much more civilized than the NYC ports (which are abominable as we all know.)
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The rather stocky male conductor on my mid-town direct train smells like sugar.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

So has anyone actually been to Boise? Because I've checked in with a few friends who travel for work pretty extensively and it seems like no one has ever been there.

Gonna go up for the Potato Bowl and have scouted out a few interesting bars and restaurants but curious if anyone has any first-hand experience with anyplace memorable.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote:So has anyone actually been to Boise? Because I've checked in with a few friends who travel for work pretty extensively and it seems like no one has ever been there.

Gonna go up for the Potato Bowl and have scouted out a few interesting bars and restaurants but curious if anyone has any first-hand experience with anyplace memorable.

I guess I've technically been there, but I've never stopped. Folks who have been there say it's a decent visit.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest there's probably not as much night life there as in Las Vegas, though.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
brian wrote:So has anyone actually been to Boise? Because I've checked in with a few friends who travel for work pretty extensively and it seems like no one has ever been there.

I guess I've technically been there, but I've never stopped. Folks who have been there say it's a decent visit.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest there's probably not as much night life there as in Las Vegas, though.

Well, alls I'm looking for is a few places with some decent food and maybe a couple awesome local breweries. Looks like there's quite a few choices downtown of the latter so I'll probably be sated regardless even if I just wing it.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:38 pm
mister d wrote:Also the white qualification, as the winery we were at on Long Island this past weekend was >50% asian.
There is a great winery in the Napa Valley called Brown Estate. I kid you not, it is owned and operated by an African-American family. They have a great tour and tasty high-end zinfandels.
Any other recs in Napa? We're going with another couple in October and staying in Yountville for 2 nights (San Fran the other couple days we're there).

Anything can't miss? They've been there before so we've got some built in tour guides but always looking for suggestions. We're also going to have a day to ourselves in SF if anyone's got anything out there that's can't miss and won't take up an entire day.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:18 am
mister d wrote:Also the white qualification, as the winery we were at on Long Island this past weekend was >50% asian.
There is a great winery in the Napa Valley called Brown Estate. I kid you not, it is owned and operated by an African-American family. They have a great tour and tasty high-end zinfandels.
Any other recs in Napa? We're going with another couple in October and staying in Yountville for 2 nights (San Fran the other couple days we're there).

Anything can't miss? They've been there before so we've got some built in tour guides but always looking for suggestions. We're also going to have a day to ourselves in SF if anyone's got anything out there that's can't miss and won't take up an entire day.
Haven't been there in a long time, but the V. Sattui winery has great wine and really nice grounds for having a picnic lunch.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I can't recommend the experience at Repris enough.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

My suggestion with a trip to wine country - if there's a wine you tend to like or gravitate towards... hit up that place, even if it requires making a reservation.

My wife and I have been out there 3 times and one of our favorite tastings was at Frog's Leap in Rutherford. Had to book it, but it wasn't all that big of a deal. Nice little tour with one of the chief production folks and then a really relaxing, seated tasting.

Unfortunately for us, right after we went there, that place got really popular and their wine got priced out of our budget in a snap.

We went to French Laundry, which was cool for the experience, but holy fuck... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

There's also an AWESOME taqueria in Yountville... Well, this was 7 or 8 years ago, but if it's still there and you just want good food without any fuss.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Also, might need to check on your state laws, but a cool service that wineries and a few packaging places in town will provide is to ship your wine home. Makes it a lot more fun when you can buy a bottle or more at the place you just tasted and not worry about your luggage weight on the way home.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

We're spending a couple days out there next month, so will report back then as well.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

SCK and I both recommend Mikkeller Bar in SF.

and why not take the 101 down to SF so you can hit up Santa Rosa and Russian River?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:08 am SCK and I both recommend Mikkeller Bar in SF.

and why not take the 101 down to SF so you can hit up Santa Rosa and Russian River?
Flying into OAK. Have a day-2 in SF before going up to Napa for 2 days and then flying back out of OAK.

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Beer Revolution in Oakland was a great little low key spot.

The Trappist, also in Oakland, is a fantastic Euro-inspired pub. Great beers and really good food.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

If you haven't done Alcatraz, I recommend it.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Giff wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:25 am If you haven't done Alcatraz, I recommend it.
I want to but I feel like that's gonna be an all day commitment...I want to hit a lot of stuff and kind of explore if we can

L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

You could certainly do Alcatraz in the morning, so ferry there, tour, and back is less than 4 hours. If your schedule allows, AT&T Park is an absolute treat.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I do highly recommend going up the 101 on your way to or from Napa. Muir Woods and the Presidio are both really great.

Plus you can think about what it would be like to have shit tons of money and be able to live in Marin.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:08 am SCK and I both recommend Mikkeller Bar in SF.

Yes! Very cool place. Just be careful, you can get a contact high from all the weed smoking on the streets in that area.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:38 am Also, might need to check on your state laws, but a cool service that wineries and a few packaging places in town will provide is to ship your wine home. Makes it a lot more fun when you can buy a bottle or more at the place you just tasted and not worry about your luggage weight on the way home.
Indiana doesn't allow residents to have alcohol shipped to their residence. Tried doing it a few years ago and the winery said that they couldn't because of Indiana's blue laws. Not sure the change recently allows it.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

duff wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:51 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:38 am Also, might need to check on your state laws, but a cool service that wineries and a few packaging places in town will provide is to ship your wine home. Makes it a lot more fun when you can buy a bottle or more at the place you just tasted and not worry about your luggage weight on the way home.
Indiana doesn't allow residents to have alcohol shipped to their residence. Tried doing it a few years ago and the winery said that they couldn't because of Indiana's blue laws. Not sure the change recently allows it.

Yep MD is a pain in the ass, but we have enough friends in NoVa that we just worked around it.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

duff wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:51 pm
They may have changed this by now. If all else fails I'll ship it to a friend in MI or OH and pick it up from them.

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

2nd for Muir woods
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:56 pm
Giff wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:25 am If you haven't done Alcatraz, I recommend it.
I want to but I feel like that's gonna be an all day commitment...I want to hit a lot of stuff and kind of explore if we can
It's really not. I feel like it was < 3 hours. I never had a desire and then dragged to it once...I've been back with anyone else who's never been.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:49 pm
It's really not. I feel like it was < 3 hours. I never had a desire and then dragged to it once...I've been back with anyone else who's never been.
Isn't the boat ride at least 30 minutes or more each way?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:02 pm
Giff wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:49 pm
Isn't the boat ride at least 30 minutes or more each way?
Alcatraz Cruises says you can stay all day, but plan on 2.5-3 hours. I still say it's worth it.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Oh, yeah. I go to Sonoma more than Napa, but there are many great ones to visit. We do the wine country frequently. Avoid the big crowds at places like Beringer, Beaulieu and Ferrari Carrano. In Napa, we like Brown, Failla, Bueller, and Storybook Mountain the best. If you go to Calistoga, do the mud baths and massage! And, Dick Vermeil has a wine tasting room in town (you can take a photo with his cutout!). In Sonoma, go for Merry Edwards, Furthermore, Joseph Swan, Benziger and Porter Creek. Some for the tours and some for the wines. I'm probably forgetting some. Check out their websites for descriptions of what they do best, but I can tell you those are all primarily red wine houses.

Also, if you have time to kill, send me a PM and I'll meet you for a drink. I live a half-hour south of SF.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

following mrs. cerrano down to nawlins for her ala conference in 2 weeks (Friday to Monday) and will spend 75% on my own due to her schedule down there.

never been before, but i think we have a reservation at commander's palace with a bunch of librarians, and not sure where else. since im on my own most of the day, what do I have to see down there, which bars should i be drinking at? what would be your go to places?
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Mrs. Cerrano is a librarian? I've only been to local ALAs, they send us systems people to the tech conferences in excellent places like Orlando! and Jacksonville!

Be sure to hit up the conference wine and cheese night!
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:29 pm Mrs. Cerrano is a librarian? I've only been to local ALAs, they send us systems people to the tech conferences in excellent places like Orlando! and Jacksonville!

Be sure to hit up the conference wine and cheese night!
yuppers. she's a middle school librarian and the vp of njasl this year. she be on the come up in the school library world. i'm just riding her coattails.

"i came all the way to new orleans and all i got was this conference brie shirt."
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Coolio. I got into libraries because of the prodding of a school librarian when I was teaching but never thought once about going that route. Too many budget woes. I have a friend that's a school librarian and she had to look and look and basically got the position because she's also got her Masters in school counseling.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

cerrano wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:13 pm following mrs. cerrano down to nawlins for her ala conference in 2 weeks (Friday to Monday) and will spend 75% on my own due to her schedule down there.

never been before, but i think we have a reservation at commander's palace with a bunch of librarians, and not sure where else. since im on my own most of the day, what do I have to see down there, which bars should i be drinking at? what would be your go to places?
Feel like we just did NOLA on here (for TT, maybe?). dba in the Marigny had great live music, and anything on Frenchman Street is a step less touristy than Bourbon, but the secret is definitely out. Mother's, near the French Quarter, is really good for diner type food, there's usually a long line. I really like the chargrilled oysters at Drago's at the bottom of one of the taller hotels at the end of Canal St. near the river. Carousel bar is pretty great. You probably ought to hit up Cafe Du Monde at least once as well. You really can't go wrong there for food and drink.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

cerrano wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:13 pm following mrs. cerrano down to nawlins for her ala conference in 2 weeks (Friday to Monday) and will spend 75% on my own due to her schedule down there.

The untold tragedy of Katrina is that I was supposed to make a trip down there under similar circumstances, and my wife's conference got cancelled in the aftermath of the storm. She was already pregnant that fall, and we had our first kid the following February, so it was to be my last great hurrah before fatherhood. Still haven't been to NO.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:11 am

Feel like we just did NOLA on here (for TT, maybe?). dba in the Marigny had great live music, and anything on Frenchman Street is a step less touristy than Bourbon, but the secret is definitely out. Mother's, near the French Quarter, is really good for diner type food, there's usually a long line. I really like the chargrilled oysters at Drago's at the bottom of one of the taller hotels at the end of Canal St. near the river. Carousel bar is pretty great. You probably ought to hit up Cafe Du Monde at least once as well. You really can't go wrong there for food and drink.
We'd probably hang out together quite well in NOLA. To this list, I'd add if you're looking for a great dive type places to get some great Creole food, hit up Coop's Place on Decatur. For recommendations on bars I don't really have any because my normal MO is to just stagger into a place for awhile until I get the urge to hit up another place and that usually only takes a drink or two. Still if you've never been, don't deprive yourself of a hurricane at Pat O'Brien's though. Yes, it's touristy, yes, it's not as cheap as some other places, but it's an experience. Don't shy away from the gay section of Bourbon Street either. They make some great drinks with infused vodka at Napoleon's Itch. The bartender/owner there is a really great guy.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

brian wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:22 am We'd probably hang out together quite well in NOLA. To this list, I'd add if you're looking for a great dive type places to get some great Creole food, hit up Coop's Place on Decatur. For recommendations on bars I don't really have any because my normal MO is to just stagger into a place for awhile until I get the urge to hit up another place and that usually only takes a drink or two. Still if you've never been, don't deprive yourself of a hurricane at Pat O'Brien's though. Yes, it's touristy, yes, it's not as cheap as some other places, but it's an experience. Don't shy away from the gay section of Bourbon Street either. They make some great drinks with infused vodka at Napoleon's Itch. The bartender/owner there is a really great guy.
Unless you want to be killed. Bullets, that is, not wrath of god. Was there some days after pulse and it was palpably uncomfortable. Mostly because of the armed guards. I say walk and follow the music. Transport and follow the music. Pretty much follow the music. And its hot as fuck. Id go swimsuit and bare chest. See what kind of friends you can make.