College Visits

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: College Visits

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Girl just found out she was accepted into Univ. of Denver's Honors Program, so that clinches things.

DU bound in the fall!
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Guy (ostensibly) from Washington's daughter is going to Colorado and the guy from Colorado's daughter is going to Washington. Don't pick apart my joke!

Congrats guys. My nephew chose JMU over the weekend.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Must have been my tour

he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Congratulations guys! Great news all around.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Congrats boys. My son is sitting on his ass and doing nothing about looking at schools. Lazy ass teenager.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

Congrats Sancarlos. Seattle's real nice mid April through mid October, and now that the winters are getting milder parts of winter too.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

In Boston. Only one 28-3 shirt spotted so far. Drinking venues close to bu campus are virtually nonexistent
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:55 am In Boston. Only one 28-3 shirt spotted so far. Drinking venues close to bu campus are virtually nonexistent
Rathskeller on campus was a nice sandwich and beer place, IIRC.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Was going to head to trillium but they closed at like 730 and I had just walked up and down entire campus and would not have had more than 30 minutes to get there and to get a drink so I punted and just walked around west end of campus a bit more.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

A_B wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:55 am Drinking venues close to bu campus are virtually nonexistent
Sunset Cantina is across from Agganis Arena. Offshoot of the old Sunset Grille which was THE craft beer place in Boston for a long time. had no idea it closed.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:30 am
A_B wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:55 am Drinking venues close to bu campus are virtually nonexistent
Sunset Cantina is across from Agganis Arena. Offshoot of the old Sunset Grille which was THE craft beer place in Boston for a long time. had no idea it closed.
Saw that and avoided it because it had coors, Heineken and Miller lite signs exclusively. May swing in on way to Fenway tonight.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

A_B wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:32 am
Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:30 am
Saw that and avoided it because it had coors, Heineken and Miller lite signs exclusively. May swing in on way to Fenway tonight.

Ya, it's nowhere near the list that Sunset had (like 150+ on tap and bottles.) There are better places to grab a beer nearer to Fenway. If you've never beer been, go as early as you can and hit up Cask 'n Flagon.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Sunset used to be near Coolidge Corner, right? If so, I've only been drunker in my life once.

Stoli doli nearly killed me.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:40 am Sunset used to be near Coolidge Corner, right? If so, I've only been drunker in my life once.

Yes. Sad, that is where the wife and I had our first date. Guess the owners didn't like to pay wages or taxes. Oh, and to tie in with other threads, they had excellent Mexican style nachos.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

So this is gonna be the nacho thread?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Every thread is about nachos when you get down to deliciously fried tortilla chips covered in a multitude of tasty toppings.

Was gonna mention the Mexican place near Fenway for nachos...but looks like it's been replaced by a brewpub.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Three more 28-3 on walk to Fenway
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Tom Brady Michigan jersey spotted. Hey, they are playing the tigers!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:40 am Sunset used to be near Coolidge Corner, right? If so, I've only been drunker in my life once.

Many a great night started at Sunset Grill. Recently had a Clown Shoes beer named in honor of Sunset Grill. Went there the night I finished 1st year law school finals. We were so fucking stoned, I ate a burger bitching that my chicken tasted funny, while my friend ate a chicken sandwich bitching that his burger was raw. We both finished, and didn't occur to us we had the wrong plates until the next day. Good times.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

Ugh, I'll be doing this next year with my eldest daughter. She's got her heart set on McGill, though the thought of having her an eight hour drive away induces panic attacks in both my wife and myself. Also, I am patriotically opposed to the French... ;-)
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Fourteen hours for us. It’s gonna be odd for sure.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

It wouldn't be as bad if it was a more "low key" city, I suppose, but right in the heart of Montreal...

I was hoping she would change her mind about going away; the university where I completed my Master's is just a 15 minute drive from our door :). Sadly, that's not to be, though I can't blame her; I moved out to take my undergrad, and moved across the Atlantic for my graduate work.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:57 pm Fourteen hours for us. It’s gonna be odd for sure.
Google says it’s a 13 hour drive for me up to Seattle. Will be doing that for move-in in September. I’m actually looking forward to the drive.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:23 pm
A_B wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:57 pm Fourteen hours for us. It’s gonna be odd for sure.
Google says it’s a 13 hour drive for me up to Seattle. Will be doing that for move-in in September. I’m actually looking forward to the drive.
I've always enjoyed a nice long jaunt on the highway, though I do need to keep my somewhat heavy foot in check... ;-)

At nearly 50 and with two surgically repaired knees, though, I won't be doing the moving. :)
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I actually don’t mind road trips. We drove 12 hours to Orlando Thursday. Went well.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

My niece moved to Seattle last year from Santa Cruz. We'll be out there next week and my mother in law asked if my niece was coming down to see us. Uh, that's like if someone came to see us from the east coast and someone asked if Johnnie was going to come meet us.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:35 am
My niece moved to Seattle last year from Santa Cruz. We'll be out there next week and my mother in law asked if my niece was coming down to see us. Uh, that's like if someone came to see us from the east coast and someone asked if Johnnie was going to come meet us.
A lot of people on the west coast (even those who have lived here a long time and should know better) seem to struggle with the distances involved with travel west of the Rockies.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:41 am
Giff wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:35 am
A lot of people on the west coast (even those who have lived here a long time and should know better) seem to struggle with the distances involved with travel west of the Rockies.
Yeah i just remembered my buddy adn I talking last week about me going to Santa Cruz and he's going to LA that same weekend. He e-mails me the next day that his family is doing a bike tour on that Sunday and did we want to join. No, I'm not driving 5.5 hours for a bike tour of LA.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A bike tour of LA sounds terrible.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, we regularly hear from out of state folks who are going to LA and think it's just a short drive for us to meet them down there. Or, if they are coming here, they think a drive to LA is an easy add-on to their trip.
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

When my oldest daughter graduated HS in 1997 she moved to Israel (came back in 2004 married and with a degree in ChemE) Only an 11 hour flight.
But the wedding in 2003 was an absolute blast
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

Avram wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:26 pm When my oldest daughter graduated HS in 1997 she moved to Israel (came back in 2004 married and with a degree in ChemE) Only an 11 hour flight.
But the wedding in 2003 was an absolute blast
Cheers! Almost went into chem myself, but switched to mech at the last moment.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

My daughter just scheduled her G2 road test, so that she can have a car whilst away at school. For those unfamiliar, this is not a full license, but an intermediate stage that allows one to drive relatively free of restriction, and to be registered as the primary driver of a vehicle.

I suppose I'm a natural worrier, but I may honestly need a sedative for this. A part of me wonders if this is how my parents felt when I went off to school; then again, I think a daughter is something different. Also, I was driving my Dad's 15 year old Morris Marina at the time, which is not a noted performance machine. ;-)

Hoping for some reassurance from those Swampers who have been there before... :)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

RSmith wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:40 am My daughter just scheduled her G2 road test, so that she can have a car whilst away at school. For those unfamiliar, this is not a full license, but an intermediate stage that allows one to drive relatively free of restriction, and to be registered as the primary driver of a vehicle.

I suppose I'm a natural worrier, but I may honestly need a sedative for this. A part of me wonders if this is how my parents felt when I went off to school; then again, I think a daughter is something different. Also, I was driving my Dad's 15 year old Morris Marina at the time, which is not a noted performance machine. ;-)

Hoping for some reassurance from those Swampers who have been there before... :)
AB, as you know, my daughter is also going away soon for her freshman year. But, we got advice from the university to go the opposite direction. Which is to say, they strongly advised that freshmen not bring cars to school. Like Boston, Seattle has good public transit, including a light rail directly from campus to the airport. So, my daughter (who just got her license a couple months ago, and wants our car all the time, now) is content with the idea of not taking a car away to school.

So, no real reassurance, sorry. But, I share your concern every time my daughter gets behind the wheel!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Thanks, I'll let Rsmith know.

(My daughter is not taking a car to Boston.)
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Is this give AB random advice day? I didn't get the memo.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:11 pm Is this give AB random advice day? I didn't get the memo.
I give him advice every damn day. He needs it.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:11 pm Is this give AB random advice day? I didn't get the memo.
LOL.

Montreal, as far as I recall (I lived there for a few months, many years ago), has a very well developed transit system, and terrible traffic/roads, so objectively, it would probably make more sense not to have a car. However, she has her heart set on a particular car, and I have really never been able to say no to her (terrible practice, I know). So, my only hope is that my wife puts her foot down...
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

I think it depends on where you are going to school. For Washington/Seattle area going to UW or SPU or Seattle U, no you don't NEED a car. For any place even a little more out of the way, yeah, it's really handy. I had one going to school at Western Washington University up in Bellingham. It was super handy to have. Transit there is fine but not great.

Unless you have specific legitimate concerns about your specific child driving that I would have no way to know about, both of you are worrying way too much about your kids driving if they are reasonably responsible. Guess what, they don't want to lose their car either. And they sure as hell don't want to have to call you and go "I wrecked my car".
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

blundercrush wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:42 pm I think it depends on where you are going to school. For Washington/Seattle area going to UW or SPU or Seattle U, no you don't NEED a car. For any place even a little more out of the way, yeah, it's really handy. I had one going to school at Western Washington University up in Bellingham. It was super handy to have. Transit there is fine but not great.

Unless you have specific legitimate concerns about your specific child driving that I would have no way to know about, both of you are worrying way too much about your kids driving if they are reasonably responsible. Guess what, they don't want to lose their car either. And they sure as hell don't want to have to call you and go "I wrecked my car".
This is kind of what I was hoping to hear. I barely remember what it was like to start driving (and it was England in the mid 80s), and my wife never got a license; I kind of suspect we are more concerned than need be... :)