Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by Pruitt »

Giff wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 5:48 pm I can't imagine clapping for anything for 10 minutes.
It's France - if they think it's anti-American, they'll clap for hours.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:19 am A year ago or so, I unintentionally caused an uproar when I diparaged Michael Keaton's skills as a comic actor.

And while my original opinion holds firm, I am shocked that he didn't get the Oscar for his performance in Birdman. That was a fantastic movie and both Keaton and Edward Norton were incredible. As I'll never see the Stephen Hawking movie, this will remain a mystery, but he was just great.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That's either going to be the best thing or worst thing ever.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Despite my saying 'I'm so done with superhero movies', we rented 'Black Panther' last night.

And....really? That's what people were so hyped about? I mean....it looked pretty cool, but we couldn't follow the plot at all. Made no sense.

Guess I can go back to ignoring comic book movies.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 11:44 am Despite my saying 'I'm so done with superhero movies', we rented 'Black Panther' last night.

And....really? That's what people were so hyped about? I mean....it looked pretty cool, but we couldn't follow the plot at all. Made no sense.

But the Zeitgeist! Or as the kids say "what about F.O.M.O."?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 11:56 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 11:44 am Despite my saying 'I'm so done with superhero movies', we rented 'Black Panther' last night.

I had to look up FOMO, but I think you’ve hit on it.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 12:01 pm
Pruitt wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 11:56 am

I had to look up FOMO, but I think you’ve hit on it.
Animation writers are all supposed to be "Star Wars" and Super Hero freaks.

I may be in the wrong field.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Saw Infinity War last night. They did a pretty nice job of not making that feel like a 2.75 hour slough. Well paced throughout, the cinematography was poor IMO. Lot's of fast jump cuts to make the action feel fast, which it did, to the point where it was almost nauseating. Good story line though, very Empire Strikes Back. Interested to see where they take that one.
[+] spoiler
I went 1/2.5 for the characters they were "killing off" which I'm not sure if I'm right about because Time Stone, eh.
I thought Black Panther was a great origin framework. The action was so so, but the actors were fantastic. I loved the sister who was doing all the tech and
[+] spoiler
they way she showed up in IW and just boggled Bruce Banner was awesome.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Agreed re: BP acting. Additionally, seeing a nearly all black cast, with very prominent roles for women, is a HUGE part of it's draw. That, and a beautiful, hidden, technologically advanced Africa, as contrasted with what is so often what we see.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

(The real Top Gun naval air training center is at Fallon Naval Air Station in northern Nevada, about an hour east of Reno. It's a shitty, shitty small town and I demand that the Top Gun remake be set there.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A very good friend from high school was a top gun instructor for awhile. He didn't have a lot of nice things to say about Fallon.

(he lives in Va. Beach now.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

rass wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:45 am
Pruitt wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:31 amDying to see Coco.
ha!
A perfect movie. And I wish I'd seen it in the theatre, it is unbelievably beautiful.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:40 pm
brian wrote:After you see The Disaster Artist give us (me) your opinion on if you should see The Room first or if you think it matters. I've been wanting to see The Room anyway, but want to get the order right.
From being halfway through the book, I think that having seen The Room is making it much more enjoyable.

My brother saw The Disaster Artist and loved it, but he said that he wished he'd seen The Room first. He said that his friends who'd seen it beforehand were laughing so hard they were having trouble breathing.

Bottom line - don;t deprive yourself unnecessarily. Next time you are tipsy or buzzed....
Finally saw it on Netflix, and it's good, but not great.

James Franco is excellent, but the character he's playing is a cipher. And his brother kinda sucks. But not a bad movie. Much better to watch The Room or even to just read the book.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:19 pm We went to see Lady Bird yesterday. Thought it was great.

I'm always amazed at actors that can totally lose their normal speaking voice. Saoirse Ronan, when you hear her in interviews, has a thick Irish lilt. But in the movie, she totally sounds like a high school girl from Sacramento.
Just watched Lady Bird and holy moses is Saoirse Ronan amazing in that movie. Same with Laurie Metcalfe. Just a great, great movie.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

We watched Game Night before our vacation and thought it was hilarious.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Pruitt wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:21 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:19 pm We went to see Lady Bird yesterday. Thought it was great.

I'm always amazed at actors that can totally lose their normal speaking voice. Saoirse Ronan, when you hear her in interviews, has a thick Irish lilt. But in the movie, she totally sounds like a high school girl from Sacramento.
Just watched Lady Bird and holy moses is Saoirse Ronan amazing in that movie. Same with Laurie Metcalfe. Just a great, great movie.
I just watched it on a plane on Friday, and I agree. Great movie. It was odd in that it had such a simple story. I actually wondered how it got made. The pitch had to have been boring. But it was great.

I then watched This is the End and I thoroughly enjoyed that as well, for entirely different reasons.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Just took a hydrocodone and was going to go to bed but Road House is on so I’m going nowhere.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We watched 'Icarus' on Netflix last night. Won the oscar last year for best documentary. About the Russian doping scandal. Pretty amazing stuff. Worth checking out.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:06 pm We watched 'Icarus' on Netflix last night. Won the oscar last year for best documentary. About the Russian doping scandal. Pretty amazing stuff. Worth checking out.
I watched it earlier this week. I didn’t think it was the best made documentary but the subject matter is fascinating. What Russia did at Sochi was pretty damn brazen. Every country that is a sports power has major doping issues but swapping out urine samples mid-competition is quite the scheme.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Joe K wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:13 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:06 pm We watched 'Icarus' on Netflix last night. Won the oscar last year for best documentary. About the Russian doping scandal. Pretty amazing stuff. Worth checking out.
I watched it earlier this week. I didn’t think it was the best made documentary but the subject matter is fascinating. What Russia did at Sochi was pretty damn brazen. Every country that is a sports power has major doping issues but swapping out urine samples mid-competition is quite the scheme.
When the Doctor talked about giving the 'tamper-proof' testing vials to the KGB guy, and him coming back 30 minutes later with it opened was pretty amazing...
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Really liked Incredibles 2.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Watched Face/Off. I had never seen it before. Man, it was terrible in an awesome way.

And I completely forgot Dominique Swain existed. She was hot as hell in that movie.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:28 am Watched Face/Off. I had never seen it before. Man, it was terrible in an awesome way.
Still a touchstone for glorious stupidity! Ever see Commando with Arnold? A classic of the genre.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I remember thinking the same about Face/Off when I watched it, and I'm neither a John Travolta nor Nicolas Cage fan.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

bfj wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:41 pm Really liked Incredibles 2.
Me too. Was better than I was expecting it to be. Could have done without the strobe scene. I'm not an epileptic to my knowledge but that shit gave me a headache.

Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

Incredibles 2 was highly enjoyable. I wish I had shown up late and missed the animated short that preceded it though. Man, Pixar knows how to punch me right in the gut.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Oh, that sounds deliciously awful. I wIll see it the first chance I get.
He is committed, certainly, from the movie’s opening scene, in which a regal Gotti, narrating from beyond the grave, turns from a lush city vista directly to the camera and snarls, “Let me tell you something. New York City is the greatest fuckin’ city in the world,” treating the fourth wall as contemptuously as this movie treats the other three.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:38 am
Me too. Was better than I was expecting it to be. Could have done without the strobe scene. I'm not an epileptic to my knowledge but that shit gave me a headache.
Thanks for the warning - I will definitely see the movie (I have seen all of Pixar's films other than Cars 2 and The Good Dinosaur, but a strobe light scene will give me a migraine for days.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:21 am
Thanks for the warning - I will definitely see the movie (I have seen all of Pixar's films other than Cars 2 and The Good Dinosaur, but a strobe light scene will give me a migraine for days.
They had warnings up at the theater (which apparently are causing backlash for all the "snowflakes" that need epileptic warnings) I hate people sometimes.

It's only about 30-45 seconds long but it was offputting. Rest of the movie is great!

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:21 am
The strobe effect happens a couple of times in the movie and does last about 30-45 seconds each time, like BSF said. I really liked The Good Dinosaur, give it a shot. Cars 2 was garbage and I haven't seen Cars 3.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Moreta wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:26 am Incredibles 2 was highly enjoyable. I wish I had shown up late and missed the animated short that preceded it though. Man, Pixar knows how to punch me right in the gut.
That was a tough one, no doubt. It was called Bao.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:21 am Cars 2

The 4-year-old was addicted for a while, I'll gladly hand over the majority of my 60+ times
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:57 am

The 4-year-old was addicted for a while, I'll gladly hand over the majority of my 60+ times
I did my duty a few years before you.

Thomas and the Magic Railroad
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:38 pm

Oh he's been on that shit as well.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I kind of miss those days, when my daughter was young, and we watched shows like Thomas the Tank Engine together.

Still think that Ringo Starr, George Carlin, and Alec Baldwin made a great trio of narrators.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I have a 14 year old with autism, he’s still into it. Was that the one with Peter Fonda?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

bfj wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:38 pm

I have a 14 year old with autism, he’s still into it. Was that the one with Peter Fonda?
You know, I do also miss those days.

That was the one with Peter Fonda. He appeared buzzed during the entire movie. I still use his "classic" line at times: "the lights are all green Lady; green for glory!"

We wore out a number of Thomas vhs tapes. I was on #teamcarlin when it came to narrators. God, just remembered - that was the first movie I took my son to in a theatre. Week or two after it opened, place was empty. I have never ever seen anyone so enthralled with anything, ever. So enthralled that he pissed his pants rather than go to the washroom and miss a second of the movie.

He made me stop telling that story several years ago. (My baby boy is now 21)