Random thoughts/images/shit that makes you feel old thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Random thoughts/images/shit that makes you feel old thread

Post by Pruitt »

rass wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:46 am Maybe you're a harsh grader because you knew her when, but based on that picture you're a harsh grader.

Anyway:
A half-assed elegy for the Cool-Loser Dream Boy of Gen-X cinema.
The original photo was 4 times the size.Much more detailed...

Not that she's a bad looking woman. But she's a good looking woman in her 50s. And that makes me feel old.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:46 am Maybe you're a harsh grader because you knew her when, but based on that picture you're a harsh grader.

Anyway:
A half-assed elegy for the Cool-Loser Dream Boy of Gen-X cinema.
That's a great article. Can't tell you how many times I've had similar thoughts about a lot of early to mid-90s pop culture. Very little of it has aged well from music to movies to much of anything really. And anything that is good from that era was probably made by something other than a Gen-Xer (or set in a different era).

Examples: Dazed & Confused was awesome and is still awesome, but was set in the 70s. Chasing Amy, set in the 90s, is fucking garbage.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Reading that it's the Hubble telescope's 28th birthday next week
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

My youngest is the exact same age today as my oldest was when my youngest was born.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I'm working with a producer who has two kids and is young enough to be my son.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I'm driving up to my 30th high school reunion tomorrow. 30 fucking years.
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Yup. That shit makes me feel old.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

Everything makes me feel old. Mostly because I am old. ;-)

Having to put on a knee brace to lift anything of even marginal heft, though, is a big one...
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

A good story on this topic...

Nearly 25 years ago now, during my (later aborted, for related reasons) PhD, my supervisor and I sold some IP that I had developed during my Master's studies to one of the (still) major players in CAE simulation software. Essentially, a numerical modeling approach and a related simulation code (a simple one, working only with structured grids) which dealt with certain important classes of conjugate heat transfer problems in a more robust way than previous approaches.

As a part of the deal, I became a "senior technical consultant" to this company. Not regular work, per se, but I was, and in principle still am, effectively "on call" (and bound by non-disclosure and non-competition arrangements), in exchange for a yearly stipend. I joke with a friend who works at the same company that they've forgotten I exist, and that I am now basically receiving an honorarium; I hadn't so much as sat in on a meeting in at least two years, before I was invited to one this January.

The bit of code that I'd written was, as all code I've ever done, strict, traditional, fixed-format FORTRAN 77, with the exception of old-fashioned Cray pointers to provide dynamic memory allocation, and I had assisted in generalizing it, and grafting it on to the company's code base, which was then exclusive FORTRAN. The meeting was on the topic of redeveloping the functionality, as they are finally eliminating the last bits of FORTRAN in the code base in favor of C++.

I don't know why, exactly, but it was all I could do to avoid tearing up in front of a dozen other computational scientists. In small part, it was because of some ownership I feel over that bit of code, but more than anything, I think it was my irrational attachment to old fixed-form FORTRAN (a language with line formatting rules intended for punchcard-based computing :) ), and what seems to me the travesty of its abandonment even by computational scientists.

It was at that moment I realized what an anachronism I truly am. ;-)
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Wow, Fortran to C++. Finger on the pulse, that company!
Totally Kafkaesque
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

Shirley wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:34 pm Wow, Fortran to C++. Finger on the pulse, that company!
Remember that this is a core solver, not UI or a database or etc. It really comes down to huge numbers of FLOPS on huge arrays of data, and all that matters is cranking through the calculation as fast as possible, with a secondary concern for memory efficiency. The "more modern" languages are not as good for this as C++, at least as it's been explained to me.

Of course, *nothing* beats well-written and -optimized FORTRAN for these kinds of scientific computing applications; it is, after all, the FORmula TRANslator ;-). FORTRAN compilers can optimize much more aggressively than most languages, because things such as pointer aliasing aren't a concern. My understanding is that the reason for the change is the idea that OOP is more encapsulated and thus more amenable to large teams working on the same piece of code without stepping all over one another. I guess that's probably true...
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Golfed today with a friend and two strangers. One of whom was a 17 year old who could drive the ball 280 yards. Kid shot 80.

I played the old man card - not only do I remember Canada in the World Cup, but I was at the first Jays game ever.

He was amazed.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

ImaginaryMan wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:04 pm
Shirley wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:34 pm Wow, Fortran to C++. Finger on the pulse, that company!
Remember that this is a core solver, not UI or a database or etc. It really comes down to huge numbers of FLOPS on huge arrays of data, and all that matters is cranking through the calculation as fast as possible, with a secondary concern for memory efficiency. The "more modern" languages are not as good for this as C++, at least as it's been explained to me.

Of course, *nothing* beats well-written and -optimized FORTRAN for these kinds of scientific computing applications; it is, after all, the FORmula TRANslator ;-). FORTRAN compilers can optimize much more aggressively than most languages, because things such as pointer aliasing aren't a concern. My understanding is that the reason for the change is the idea that OOP is more encapsulated and thus more amenable to large teams working on the same piece of code without stepping all over one another. I guess that's probably true...
Well, most languages more modern than C++ are interpreted or compiled into byte code, so yeah, probably not as computationally fast. But it's still kind of funny to see someone more a project "forward" into a language that was last hot about 25 years ago.

I'd be surprised if FORTRAN compilers have kept up with modern CPU architectures. Hell, when I got my CS degree 26 years ago, FORTRAN was already too old for us to learn.
Totally Kafkaesque
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

Shirley wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:46 pm I'd be surprised if FORTRAN compilers have kept up with modern CPU architectures. Hell, when I got my CS degree 26 years ago, FORTRAN was already too old for us to learn.
I'd be surprised if FORTRAN was ever of much interest to CS people honestly, apart from being the first high-level language. I've never met anyone who used/liked FORTRAN, who was not an engineer or computational physicist, but of course that's really who it was intended for. If you think in terms of tensor mechanics, FORTRAN is the language for you, whereas if you think in terms of memory and pointers and more elaborate structures like a CS person, I imagine it would seem fairly limiting. I've heard FORTRAN 90 and 2003 have moved more in that direction, but I've never used them, beyond dabbling with F90's allocatable arrays.

When I was an undergrad in the late 80s at Oxford, all of the engineering computation instruction was in FORTRAN. No idea if that's still the case for many universities, though if it is, it's just the legacy of professors who learned FORTRAN. Certainly, most of the large academic code bases in CFD (Jameson's famous code from Stanford CTR, etc.) are still pretty pure F77, but the commercial CAE developers have been aggressively moving away from it for the last decade or so.

I don't know about any of the others that remain, but in my experience, Intel's is the only modern F77 compiler worth using. Not sure how well they have or have not kept up, but given that they make the CPUs, I'd hope they have ;-). Threading and etc. are not really a concern for CAE codes, because the parallelism is usually handled explicitly with MPI for use on HPC clusters. All I can say is that when last I looked in (admittedly 10 years ago), the people undertaking to rewrite some of the large FORTRAN numerical methods libraries in C++ were still suffering by comparison in performance. That may no longer be the case; I know that the new version of the Trilinos library from Sandia National Lab that's used for lots of serious number crunching in nuclear engineering and radiative heat transfer modeling is supposed to be very heavily object-oriented C++...

After this, I find myself wanting to dust off my old codes again. :)
Last edited by RSmith on Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

Shirley wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:05 pm I'm driving up to my 30th high school reunion tomorrow. 30 fucking years.
Don't feel too bad mate, it'll be 30 out of university for me in a little over a year (undergrad anyhow).
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:06 pm
Brontoburglar wrote:
Ryan wrote:Why are we all guessing when we can j...oh right
not gonna lie, I felt really fucking guilty about that when it got bombed about the time of the Tiger Woods TMZ thing and my comments helped fuel that fire.

(but y'all can't say I was wrong about the TMZization of internet sportsball blogging so take that haters)
I'm fairly certain I still have that podcast...and all 20-ish of them, really. We were PMT before PMT.

August '05 for me, btw. Terrell Owens being mad about the Eagles not giving him money and dressing up in military camo made me join. Had been lurking for some time before because MemBengal invited me to drop by the Swamp with a thought or two at the end of his blogs on this archaic thing called a "Front Page."

The first thread I read was about Karrine Steffans' (nickname Superhead because she was good at sucking dick) book, Confessions of a Video Vixen. In it everyone was entertained by Chris Brown's reaction after getting blown by her: I'm Transforming!
I originally joined 2004-ish, then promptly left after a couple years. Different name, granted, but related...
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:00 am Government has proclaimed May as "Jewish Heritage Month" in Canada.

Guy on the left is the M.P. (like a Representative) from my riding (district). He's just guaranteed himself re-election in this neighbourhood.

But the woman on the right is Linda Frum. David's sister and a member of our unelected and unimportant federal senate. She was in my year at McGill and was in a few of my Poli Sci courses. And I had a big crush on her. And she looks her age.

and she hates pot.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

ImaginaryMan wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:12 pm
Brontoburglar wrote:
not gonna lie, I felt really fucking guilty about that when it got bombed about the time of the Tiger Woods TMZ thing and my comments helped fuel that fire.

(but y'all can't say I was wrong about the TMZization of internet sportsball blogging so take that haters)
I'm fairly certain I still have that podcast...and all 20-ish of them, really. We were PMT before PMT.

August '05 for me, btw. Terrell Owens being mad about the Eagles not giving him money and dressing up in military camo made me join. Had been lurking for some time before because MemBengal invited me to drop by the Swamp with a thought or two at the end of his blogs on this archaic thing called a "Front Page."

The first thread I read was about Karrine Steffans' (nickname Superhead because she was good at sucking dick) book, Confessions of a Video Vixen. In it everyone was entertained by Chris Brown's reaction after getting blown by her: I'm Transforming!
I originally joined 2004-ish, then promptly left after a couple years. Different name, granted, but related...
Welcome back. What was your Swamp name back then?
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

bfj wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:02 am
Brontoburglar wrote:

Thanks mate. It should become clear from my celebration November 4, as the heinous monstrosity that is DST is banished for another year... ;-)
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Speaking about guys from Swamp past, for some reason The Zaz popped into my head. I don't think he's on the Frogs or Oats. Anybody ever hear from him.

ETA: I missed that post and saw he's one of the new players.
Last edited by L-Jam3 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:25 am Speaking about guys from Swamp past, for some reason The Zaz popped into my head. I don't think he's on the Frogs or Oats. Anybody ever hear from him.
He posted on the site about a month or so ago, actually.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

ImaginaryMan wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:18 am
Brontoburglar wrote:

Thanks mate. It should become clear from my celebration November 4, as the heinous monstrosity that is DST is banished for another year... ;-)
RSmith?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:11 am
Brontoburglar wrote:

RSmith?

:)

I tried to log in to my old account, but it kept rejecting. I figured I had the password wrong, but as my alma mater finally (20 years after I left) moved me to an alumni e-mail account, I no longer had access to my old e-mail. Of course, given that I now see the Swamp has been through several revisions, I probably could have re-registered the same name...
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Man, I remember you had some epic run-ins with you-know-who back in the day.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:55 pm Man, I remember you had some epic run-ins with you-know-who back in the day.
Who didn't?
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:38 pmI played the old man card - not only do I remember Canada in the World Cup, but I was at the first Jays game ever.

He was amazed.
Was that against the White Sox? In the snow?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

ImaginaryMan wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:16 am

RSmith?

I tried to log in to my old account, but it kept rejecting. I figured I had the password wrong, but as my alma mater finally (20 years after I left) moved me to an alumni e-mail account, I no longer had access to my old e-mail. Of course, given that I now see the Swamp has been through several revisions, I probably could have re-registered the same name...
Dude. Welcome back.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:22 pm
Pruitt wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:38 pmI played the old man card - not only do I remember Canada in the World Cup, but I was at the first Jays game ever.

He was amazed.
Was that against the White Sox? In the snow?
Yep. If you look closely around 10 rows behind the first base dugout, you might see my brother, my father, my best friend Danny and myself. About 5 rows in front of us would be Geddy lee and his dad.

This picture was taken before the first pitch. the place was packed that day.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Not taunting you, but that picture looks like it was taken in, like, 1912.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:26 pm
ImaginaryMan wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:16 am

RSmith?

Dude. Welcome back.
Thanks mate. My wife is completely spent after the birth of our second daughter a few months ago, so I'm tending to be up odd hours, and was looking for something to pass the time, and remembered the Swamp. I started reading a few things, and was gratified to see that I was still remembered on the dreaded day of "spring ahead"... ;-)
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:55 pm Man, I remember you had some epic run-ins with you-know-who back in the day.
Hoodie? How/where is he?

Or Scottie? I had run-ins with a few people. :)
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:23 pm Not taunting you, but that picture looks like it was taken in, like, 1912.

Still the worst stadium I have ever been in.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:32 pm
Johnny Carwash wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:23 pm Not taunting you, but that picture looks like it was taken in, like, 1912.

I saw my first baseball game there (as in, first MLB game ever, live or televised), on a family vacation in 1983. Jays/Tigers. Detroit clobbered the Jays, as I recall.

Thinking that Skydome (Rogers Center? What is that?) is nearly 30 certainly makes me feel old.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

ImaginaryMan wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:42 pm Thinking that Skydome (Rogers Center? What is that?) is nearly 30 certainly makes me feel old.
Jesus!

I knew this, but I guess I didn't want to think about it. 7th oldest stadium in the majors?!
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:53 pm
ImaginaryMan wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:42 pm Thinking that Skydome (Rogers Center? What is that?) is nearly 30 certainly makes me feel old.
Jesus!

I knew this, but I guess I didn't want to think about it. 7th oldest stadium in the majors?!
I understand the economic motivation behind the seemingly endless construction of stadia, I suppose, but I really dislike it. Much as I loathe the Red Sox, Fenway is a treasure, and so is Wrigley...
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:32 pm

Me, too. I saw one game there in 1981 while on a vacation. But I do remember watching that 1977 inaugural game on TV.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Metal seats - on a sunny day, there wasn't a dry back in the house.
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

not a thought.. but i do feel old now..

2 weeks ago, playing goalie in an over 40s league, stopped a breakaway goal opportunity, got run over by the Polish striker and tore my rotator cuff in the process (with a likely mild concussion to go on top of it).

i did tell their sideline afterwards that Colombia would destroy Poland in the WC. so i have that going for me.