The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Post by sancarlos »

I didn't know that craft malt is becoming a thing
Visit a Bay Area craft brewery, and the staff will tell you whether a beer was made with Simcoe or Mosaic or Amarillo hops. They’ll tell you which local roaster provided the beans for their coffee stout. You’ll know, by the time you leave, the name of the farmer who grew the berries for their fruited sour, and which winery gave them the Chardonnay barrels in which their farmhouse ale aged.

And yet, until very recently, virtually all Bay Area beers were brewed with the same industrially produced malt.

That changed last year when Admiral Maltings opened in Alameda, a collaborative effort from ThirstyBear owner Ron Silberstein and Magnolia founder Dave MacLean. Admiral is the first craft malting facility in California, and since brewing its first batch last summer it’s sold 250 tons of eight types of malt and has found an eager customer base: Already, 112 California breweries (plus seven distilleries) have brewed with Admiral malt... [click link to read more]
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Ya, most malt in the US is made by a couple of companies in Minneapolis IIRC. Not sure if "craft" really makes that much of a difference, as long as the grain being malted is of high quality it's not like you can do much to change the process unless you want to go back with firing it with coal or another pre-industrial process.

I suppose taking money out of the pockets of big malt and sourcing locally is a good thing for smaller brewers, as long as the price point is good.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:07 pm Same can be said about the beer sitting at the top.
Tiffs just got Bells Two Hearted and it doesn’t even compare to the Kane offerings they regularly have.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Also just started offering Igor’s Dream but even a couple miles from home 12% scares me.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:18 pm
mister d wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:07 pm Same can be said about the beer sitting at the top.
Tiffs just got Bells Two Hearted and it doesn’t even compare to the Kane offerings they regularly have.
Yes
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Another good entry into the whole "if you don't agree the ceiling is higher than it was five years ago, I'm not going to bother" debate.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

On both sides. Two Hearted like eight years and Kane two?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Two Hearted is classic. But it's been way surpassed. My college buddy drinks the F out of it, just because of the classical aspects, and I suppose memories. I'm the same way with Harpoon IPA. I had 4 beers at the local tonight, and all four were probably better than Harpoon. But you know that I'm drinking the fuck out of Harpoon IPA next week when I am back in NE (to wash down the tree house and trillium.)

and Deleware, the SoS i brewed way back when was really really fantastic. Better than the stuff they brew now.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I am finding more and more that I prefer the feeling after 3 or 4 glasses of a good whiskey or scotch than I do after drinking the relative amount of nearly any craft beer.

I certainly feel better in the morning, too.

There has to be a reason as to why that is?
Noli Timere Messorem
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:02 am I am finding more and more that I prefer the feeling after 3 or 4 glasses of a good whiskey or scotch than I do after drinking the relative amount of nearly any craft beer.

I certainly feel better in the morning, too.

There has to be a reason as to why that is?
I've never been much of a beer drinker (unlike my Dad, friends, etc.), but I've always loved whiskey. It's a much more comfortable drunkenness. :)

Before I came to Canada, I drank Scotch exclusively, but now I think my favorite drink is a mix of Wiser's Deluxe Canadian rye and ginger ale.

I also can honestly say I've never had a hangover, and I used to live in a bar before I met my wife. So at least my experience coincides with that.
Last edited by RSmith on Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Had a couple Outer Range Corduroy IPA’s last night. For a style I’m burnt out on they were very good.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Fathers Day came early!

My son who works at a craft brewery/restaurant (Bellwoods - perhaps Toronto's finest - where the brew master is a complete mad scientist - brought home some limited editions for me to enjoy this weekend...

This one is "Milkshark - Neapolitan" in that it has cocoa, vanilla and strawberry and hops. I'm no fan of fruity beers, but a truly amazing beer. Subtle, hoppy and there is cocoa (but not cloying chocolate) and a nice light berry finish.

His boss is a lunatic with his beers. And as you can guess by my verbosity, these are strong fucking beers!

This one is meant to age, and is part of a limited edition of 200. I figure it should age on the folklore/religion shelf in my office.

Great when the kids know what you like!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:36 pm Bellwoods - perhaps Toronto's finest
Ha! I was there last year, meeting up with an old friend from university. He swears by it.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Headed to Avery for the annual Father's day lunch and beer tasting. They're another that may have been passed by, but they still do some great testing this only stuff.

Happy Father's day to frog dad's and dad's to be!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

My first Trillium that wasn't an IPA or saison. Fuck, if they aren't just as skilled with a stout! This is like liquid velvet, and the most balanced coffee stout I've ever had. Really wish I could have brought back more, and didn't promise half of it away.

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Set adrift on memory bliss?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Was this really late or really early?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

That was likely an old man got up to pee post.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

So my sister who was in town from DC dropped by to visit last night along with my brother. I poured some of that lovely beer I mentioned a few posts up. Sister tastes it, enjoys two big sips and then realizes that the aftertaste is full of berries.

And she is severely allergic to strawberries.

Immediate allergic reaction - throat constriction, trouble breathing, and we don't have any benadryl.

Long story short - an hour in the drug store as the benadryl started working and the pharmacist was certain she was okay. Great end to a shitty fathers Day.

Here's the kicker - we figured she should get an epi pen just in case there was a problem later in the night. My sister was pissed off because she didn't have her Visa with her, I said I'd pay and she refused - didn't want me to spend $700.

The look on the pharmacists's face was priceless. He told her that the two dose epi pen was $120. Plus they were giving out $20 drug store gift cards with each purchase.

She should have bought a case of them.

Hope your Fathers Days were better than mine.

But the beer is really good.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Is you sending epi pens to me in the States illegal? Cause I'll take a box at that price.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:09 am Is you sending epi pens to me in the States illegal? Cause I'll take a box at that price.
According to The Simpsons it is:

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:09 am Is you sending epi pens to me in the States illegal? Cause I'll take a box at that price.
Aren't there Canadian places you can order them from? Because you can get it over the counter here.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

New Image Brewing (one of the breweries to watch in CO) is releasing a collab with Kane(!) Brewing called Space Force: A Mixed Culture IPA.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:48 pm New Image Brewing (one of the breweries to watch in CO) is releasing a collab with Kane(!) Brewing called Space Force: A Mixed Culture IPA.
I saw that yesterday...definitely looking forward to it
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:13 am 500 beers to try this summer
https://www.bicycling.com/culture/g2176 ... of-summer/
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Pretty easy to do. Monday is the recovery day, then 6 every other night except Saturday where you go in for 8.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:55 pm Pretty easy to do. Monday is the recovery day, then 6 every other night except Saturday where you go in for 8.
What about GW travel to get the ones not in your area?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

PM Dawn is the truth.

Self Reliance #6 from Hill Farmstead is perhaps the closest to perfect pale I've ever had. Very excited to travel to the actual farmstead tomorrow.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, my sister-in-law frequents a boutique liquor store in San Francisco that features niche and high end spirits and beer. Today, she came over for dinner with us and brought some beer she tried at a recent beer tasting there - Sufferfest IPA.

Never heard of it. But, their niche is gluten-free beers, and they market themselves as being a beer "for athletes". Don't know how they remove gluten and was prepared to hate the beer. But, it actually tasted pretty good.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm still unable to wrap my head around it... How are there so many micro brews everywhere? I've been back stateside just over 2 years now and I'm still amazed with the sheer amount of micro brews everywhere. And they're mostly really good!

What made this happen? It's pretty awesome.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

GABF doesn't sell out in minutes for the first time in years...

also shitloads more space, and more breweries. Or they did a better job and foiling the ticket purchasing bots.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:12 pm What made this happen? It's pretty awesome.
History's greatest monster, President Jimmy Carter, gets a lot of the credit for making homebrew legal back in 1979. Almost all microbreweries started out as homebrews.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:52 am
Johnnie wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:12 pm What made this happen? It's pretty awesome.
History's greatest monster, President Jimmy Carter, gets a lot of the credit for making homebrew legal back in 1979. Almost all microbreweries started out as homebrews.
I'm not talking like the origin or anything. I'm talking the seemingly exponential explosion in the time I was gone to when I came back to America roughly 4 years.

I sent out 35 (!) Tax ID letters for my squadrons booster club to all the local breweries asking for donations to our Christmas party. And I'm sure I still missed a few. How did taking home brewing to a store front happen so easily? Was there an explosion in grants and subsidies for small business owners in terms of beer sales? Were there college degrees in brewmastery or something? It just seems like no matter where you go, throw a stone, hit a brewery.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Not enough supply to meet demand and, more importantly, it’s a good that’s objectively better the quicker you get it. But also a lot of them suck and there’s going to be a massive cliff at some point, both locals that never had the quality to exist and majors who leveraged themselves filling markets that have sense filled themselves. Like 7 years ago I bet my most drank state was CA, now it’s NJ by a mile. If I still lived in MA with nearby access to Trillium and Lamplighter I might not set foot in a distributor for a month or two at a time.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:28 am
I'm not talking like the origin or anything. I'm talking the seemingly exponential explosion in the time I was gone to when I came back to America roughly 4 years.

I sent out 35 (!) Tax ID letters for my squadrons booster club to all the local breweries asking for donations to our Christmas party. And I'm sure I still missed a few. How did taking home brewing to a store front happen so easily? Was there an explosion in grants and subsidies for small business owners in terms of beer sales? Were there college degrees in brewmastery or something? It just seems like no matter where you go, throw a stone, hit a brewery.
Here in Seattle, it seems like every other store front is either a teriyaki joint or a Microbrewery. There are now 5 that are within a 10 minute drive from my house, and that's not including 2 growler fill places.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:49 am
Johnnie wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:28 am

Here in Seattle, it seems like every other store front is either a teriyaki joint or a Microbrewery. There are now 5 that are within a 10 minute drive from my house, and that's not including 2 growler fill places.
When we were in Washington recently, my buddy and I went to the grocery store to pick up some beer. I was surprised at what a large percentage of the shelf space was devoted to local Washington brewers.