Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Re: Movies

Post by bfj »

One of Max’s gifts is his photographic memory. Pictures stay in his head and he can recall things that interest him with ease. He has studied these trains online, in DVD’s, books, video games etc. so much that I can show him just the face of a train in his collection of 100+ trains and he can tell me which train it is. He can’t see the color of the train or any markings and he never gets it wrong. Useless, but impressive.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The New Yorker offers up a sex-drenched Incredibles 2 review.
moneyshot wrote:Take your seat at any early-evening screening of “Incredibles 2” in the coming days, listen carefully, and you may just hear a shifty sound, as of parents squirming awkwardly beside their enraptured offspring. And why, kids? Because Mommy just leaned over to Daddy and whispered, “Is it just me, or does Mrs. Incredible kind of look like Anastasia in ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’? You know, the girl in the Red Room, with the whips and all?” And Daddy just rested his cooling soda firmly in his lap and, like Mr. Incredible, tried very hard to think of algebra. As for how Daddy will react later on, during the scene in which Helen and the husky-voiced Evelyn unwind and simply talk, woman to woman, I hate to think, but watch out for flying popcorn.
full review
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Oh brother.

I guess the New Yorker is still paying by the word.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I Love Huckabees is a really underrated movie.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:21 pm I Love Huckabees is a really underrated movie.
FOX MOVIE. FUCK IT.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

My top five:

1. The Terminator
2. The Warriors
3. K-19
4. The Boondock Saints
5. Star Trek: The Motion Picture

I remember fondly the day I saw The Terminator in the theatre, for reasons not completely related to the film ;-). Also, it is the only one of the aforementioned that my wife will also sit through; it is one of her favorites, in spite of the fact that she was two when it was released...
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:26 pm
brian wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:21 pm I Love Huckabees is a really underrated movie.
FOX MOVIE. FUCK IT.
I don’t know how much money watching it on Cinemax 14 years after its release is making for Fox but fair point.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:57 pm
FOX MOVIE. FUCK IT.
I don’t know how much money watching it on Cinemax 14 years after its release is making for Fox but fair point.
Yeah. I wasn’t trying to be a douche too much. But it’s a good point I’m grappling with a bit.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:58 pm
FOX MOVIE. FUCK IT.
Yeah. I wasn’t trying to be a douche too much. But it’s a good point I’m grappling with a bit.
While I appreciate the sentiment of avoiding all things Fox, the company is split into several segments, so a boycott of all things Fox is not as effective as it may seem on its face. For example, Disney's recent "acquisition of Fox" does not include Fox Broadcasting Company (Fox network affiliates), Fox News, or Fox Business Channel.

So, you can have this as an emotional reaction:

Then this:
“I have great respect and admiration for Dana Walden, Gary Newman, Peter Rice, and everyone at 20th Century Fox Studios who have all treated me so well for almost 2 decades,” Levitan said in a statement provided by his agent, UTA’s Jay Sures, obtained by Variety. “For now, I will take some time to see where those people land, and at that point, make a decision about my future.”
as a more reasonable reaction the following day (with undoubtedly a lot of input from his agents and PR).
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:02 am
A_B wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:58 pm
FOX MOVIE. FUCK IT.
While I appreciate the sentiment of avoiding all things Fox, the company is split into several segments, so a boycott of all things Fox is not as effective as it may seem on its face. For example, Disney's recent "acquisition of Fox" does not include Fox Broadcasting Company (Fox network affiliates), Fox News, or Fox Business Channel.

So, you can have this as an emotional reaction:

Then this:
“I have great respect and admiration for Dana Walden, Gary Newman, Peter Rice, and everyone at 20th Century Fox Studios who have all treated me so well for almost 2 decades,” Levitan said in a statement provided by his agent, UTA’s Jay Sures, obtained by Variety. “For now, I will take some time to see where those people land, and at that point, make a decision about my future.”
as a more reasonable reaction the following day (with undoubtedly a lot of input from his agents and PR).
Yea I understand that as an umbrella they're evil as shit but it's a bit of a stretch to say "Boycott those Nazis over at Fox Searchlight Indie Films!".
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, it would suck if major corporations took across the board hits for only having a handful of white nationalist entities.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

mister d wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:04 am Yeah, it would suck if major corporations took across the board hits for only having a handful of white nationalist entities.
You know that's not what I'm saying. It's just going to punish a lot of people way down the food chain for being associated with a huge conglomerate.

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:04 am Yeah, it would suck if major corporations took across the board hits for only having a handful of white nationalist entities.
So, stop watching the Yankees on YES, which is 80% owned by Fox.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I'm always one Pixar movie behind, but yes Coco was amazing
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I read and enjoyed the Nick Hornby book, Juliet, Naked several years ago. So, I am looking forward to the film.

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Not sure why It got such good reviews. I thought it (It?) sucked.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

govmentchedda wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:23 pm
tennbengal wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:48 am Saw I, Tonya last night. Went to it expecTing to not like it but damn, it was tremendous.
Saw it last night, and really enjoyed it. Allison Janney is a national treasure.
I was expecting to love it, but didn't.

Didn't hate it, but spent parts of the movie wishing it would end soon. The actors are all great, but the attempts to make it a story about so much more just fell very flat.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I expected nothing, and kinda think it took a few minutes to take it seriously, then had fun.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I should have seen it when it came out I guess.

I was expecting it to be more fun -
[+] spoiler
But the amount of times Tonya is smacked, punched and shoved into mirrors in the first few minutes kind of set a tone that was anything but light. Later on (say half an hour in), it showed signs of being that way, but the later nastiness and the Tonya character implicitly and explicitly blaming the audience for her problems kind of took the fun out of it. Also when the word "fuck" is used every 10 seconds, and "cunt" every few minutes it really casts an unpleasant pall over the lighter scenes.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:08 am I should have seen it when it came out I guess.

I was expecting it to be more fun -
[+] spoiler
But the amount of times Tonya is smacked, punched and shoved into mirrors in the first few minutes kind of set a tone that was anything but light. Later on (say half an hour in), it showed signs of being that way, but the later nastiness and the Tonya character implicitly and explicitly blaming the audience for her problems kind of took the fun out of it. Also when the word "fuck" is used every 10 seconds, and "cunt" every few minutes it really casts an unpleasant pall over the lighter scenes.
I think the point was these were all really horrible people so it worked for me. I thought is was solid.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I guess my point was that I went as one of a foursome, and the other couple really wanted to see it. I think we saw it around awards season and I had my eyes on about five things i would have rather have seen. I had zero expectations going in and was amused. That being said, I completely get having expectations about it, and being underwhelmed, or put off.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:14 am I guess my point was that I went as one of a foursome, and the other couple really wanted to see it. I think we saw it around awards season and I had my eyes on about five things i would have rather have seen. I had zero expectations going in and was amused. That being said, I completely get having expectations about it, and being underwhelmed, or put off.
Yeah - not bad. A bit long, but the acting was over the top great. Allison Janney took a one-dimensional character and added just enough to make her a real (and really horrible) human being.

And Margot Robbie was tremendous (and should have got the Oscar over Frances McDormand IMO. Although my loathing of THAT film has already been documented on this thread.) Just think some more judicious editing would have improved the film.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Watched Colossal......so you don't have to...cool idea but not much from Anne Hathaway, Sudeikis, and Tim Blake Neson.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I saw the Ant Man movie. I was at a theater with a very positive crowd, so they were laughing before punchlines were being delivered. I won't go into any more specifics to avoid spoilers. I had low expectations and came out happy I went and saw it.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I liked it.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:28 pm Watched Colossal......so you don't have to...cool idea but not much from Anne Hathaway, Sudeikis, and Tim Blake Neson.
I actually really liked it.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:41 amI liked it.
I mean, I'm a total Paul Rudd mark, and Evnageline Lilly is SO CUTE.

The guy that gets laughs in both movies, but the line aren't always even that funny is Michael Pena... People just expect him to be funny, which is quite a quality.

He does deliver some of the funniest shit you'll see in a Marvel movie in the middle of this one. Had the audience laughing so hard you missed some of the jokes.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Was talking to a coworker about how good Pena was.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

He was great in the first one. I'll probably go see this one.
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:56 am
I mean, I'm a total Paul Rudd mark, and Evnageline Lilly is SO CUTE
I had to double check to see if I posted this.

The movie was fun. Definitely one you shouldn’t overthink (as was the first one) but fun.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Oral history for the 10th anniversary of Step Brothers.

In my humble opinion, one of the five funniest movies of all-time.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Good friend of mine is in that. I've never seen it all the way through. She's the pregnant wife looking for the house.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:42 am Oral history for the 10th anniversary of Step Brothers.

It is very funny, but not even John C. Reilly's best work.

"Walk Hard" is on my list of 10 Greatest Comedies of All Time
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:53 am
brian wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:42 am Oral history for the 10th anniversary of Step Brothers.

Agree to disagree. I like Reilly, but didn't enjoy Walk Hard.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:54 am
Pruitt wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:53 am

Agree to disagree. I like Reilly, but didn't enjoy Walk Hard.
Agree to disagree.

But I think we can agree on this...

Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:53 am "Walk Hard" is on my list of 10 Greatest Comedies of All Time
This. Definitely up there. Maybe at least the most underrated comedy I've ever seen.

I'll also put forth that John C. Reilly does the "Will Ferrell-type" character better than Will Ferrell.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I’ve watched Inherent Vice about four times in the last couple months and it’s a genius movie. PT Anderson just can’t make a bad movie.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:26 am I’ve watched Inherent Vice about four times in the last couple months and it’s a genius movie. PT Anderson just can’t make a bad movie.
Read the book a couple of summers ago and keep forgetting to watch the movie.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:26 am I’ve watched Inherent Vice about four times in the last couple months and it’s a genius movie. PT Anderson just can’t make a bad movie.
I've got that one on my DVR. Need to find a night to watch it.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

My advice is similar to The Big Lebowski. Don’t worry about the plot so much and just go along for the ride.