Jeeves Buys Astroturf - Lawnmowers

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Jeeves Buys Astroturf - Lawnmowers

Post by A_B »

I'm going to have to get a new mower soon, and I am strongly considering getting an old-school style blade mower instead of gas-powered engine. Has anyone used the newer ones, which look fairly decent?

You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Re: Jeeves Buys Astroturf - Lawnmowers

Post by mister d »

If you love mowing, they're great because you often get to go over the same area two or three times.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:36 am If you love mowing, they're great because you often get to go over the same area two or three times.
Yeah, the more research I do this seems to be the main drawback. There's a guy down the street that has one. If I catch him out again I may ask to do a few swipes of his yard to see.

Mainly I'm looking for something lighter. I've got some elevation changes pretty much no matter how I cut my yard and it wears me out anymore.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

A_B wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:46 am
mister d wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:36 am If you love mowing, they're great because you often get to go over the same area two or three times.
Yeah, the more research I do this seems to be the main drawback. There's a guy down the street that has one. If I catch him out again I may ask to do a few swipes of his yard to see.

Mainly I'm looking for something lighter. I've got some elevation changes pretty much no matter how I cut my yard and it wears me out anymore.
I had a Husqvarna self propelled before it got stolen 3 or 4 years ago. It was lighter than air. Almost uncomfortably light.

I'd fuck off with that old reel style unless your yard is like 500 sqft. Plus, the sharpening has to be brutal.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I would consider a cordless electric mower. EGO or Snapper make a good one. They are self-propelled and are supposedly lighter than gas powered. Once my current one dies I'll be making the switch.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We have small lawns here and a dude across the street just got an electric one (its that green color, I think its one of the majors). Says its great.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

According to Google earth I have approximately 7500 sq ft of cutting area.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Please if you go electric at least get one with a battery. I see people in the neighborhood here mowing .25-.3 acre lots with extension cords and it drives me nuts.

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:46 am Please if you go electric at least get one with a battery. I see people in the neighborhood here mowing .25-.3 acre lots with extension cords and it drives me nuts.
I would never try to do mine with an extension cord. I have a blower that has one, and I won't use it anymore, opting for a lower power one with a battery.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

I have a neighbor with a lawn tractor, who mows my lawn for me. I highly recommend it. ;-)

We have a bit of a barter system; in warm months, he mows my lawn. In winter, I hire a plow to do his drive as well as mine.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

F' the electric battery mower. Bought a Worx one for my yard. Maybe a 1/4 of acre. Year one...fantastic. Year two...okay. First mow of year 3, could not finish the front lawn. So I buy a replacement battery. That thing worked for less than the summer. Nothing like having your grass be too strong for the mower because you get no battery power. B.t.w. this and other rechargeable battery experiences continue to scare me from going with an electric car.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Friend has consumer reports. Top four rated are all honda. Kinda pricey, but alas.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I had an environmentally friendly old-style mower for a while.

It sucked so badly.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

I have one of these, and yes there are spots where the the grass is really thick where I go over it twice. Sometimes three times if the grass gets too tall. I don't really mind because I didn't want to deal with a gas mower, and I hate dragging a cord around for an electric mower. It really does help to be able to mow every five days or so, it's pretty easy if you can. Otherwise you are going to end up going over some sections more than once.

It can get a little hard to push uphill, especially if the grass is tall/thick, so definitely try one out if you can.

If I were to "upgrade" I'd consider a cordless electric mower.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:15 am F' the electric battery mower. Bought a Worx one for my yard. Maybe a 1/4 of acre. Year one...fantastic. Year two...okay. First mow of year 3, could not finish the front lawn. So I buy a replacement battery. That thing worked for less than the summer. Nothing like having your grass be too strong for the mower because you get no battery power. B.t.w. this and other rechargeable battery experiences continue to scare me from going with an electric car.
This.

I have battery back leaf blower and weed whacker... After a couple of years and multiple new battery packs, they both suck. I bought a backpack leaf blower last year and it's awesome. Going to get a gas-powered weed whacker this summer.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I don't have enough thick areas to need a gas powered anymore. So the lighter battery powered works for me. I used to have an entire creekbank that mandated a gas weed whacker, but I was thrilled to move away from that when we moved.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

A_B wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:19 am Friend has consumer reports. Top four rated are all honda. Kinda pricey, but alas.
If I was going to do a personal 2017 year-in-review, quickly researching mowers, ordering a Honda on Amazon and using it 3 minutes after slipping it out of the box would probably rank in the top 1.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Ryan wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:38 am
A_B wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:19 am Friend has consumer reports. Top four rated are all honda. Kinda pricey, but alas.
If I was going to do a personal 2017 year-in-review, quickly researching mowers, ordering a Honda on Amazon and using it 3 minutes after slipping it out of the box would probably rank in the top 1.
I have a Honda now. It's a great mower, but is by no means "light"

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I bought an E-Go last year. First battery crapped out after about a month, but they shipped a free replacement to me. Lighter than our old gas powered mower. Our lot is 1/2 acre and, unless the grass is exceptionally high, I can mow the entire yard on one charge (lasts over an hour, battery recharges quickly - well under an hour for a full recharge). I mowed yesterday (first time in 12 days due to vacation, grass wasn't super high) and was able to complete it without the "low (10%) battery charge" warning light coming on. I have never used the self-propelling feature because I don't want to be forced to recharge before completing.

From a brand perspective, my dad also has a weed whacker, hedge trimmer, and leaf blower from E-Go and is very happy with them, but I never knew this before I bought the mower.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Ryan wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:38 am
I'm still (not) pushing around an automatic gas Honda that has to be at least 15 years old.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:21 am I had an environmentally friendly old-style mower for a while.

It sucked so badly.
Ditto. Had a push reel mower like in AB's photo. Wouldn't cut the grass worth a shit.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:46 am
Time to find a high school kid to mow the lawn for you, old man.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

You have no idea. But I’m super cheap. And kids suck these days. My almost 13 nephew still doesn’t cut his own yard. Appalling.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

GET ON MY LAWN!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

A_B wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:26 pm You have no idea. But I’m super cheap. And kids suck these days. My almost 13 nephew still doesn’t cut his own yard. Appalling.
I think kids doing chores is thing of the past mate. Way of the world and all that. :)
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I've only used Honda mowers for the past 10 years. can't recommend them enough. I bought the baseline one at Home Depot a few years ago and it's running great. I just pay $75 or so every February/March for a tuneup.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:26 pm You have no idea. But I’m super cheap. And kids suck these days. My almost 13 nephew still doesn’t cut his own yard. Appalling.
My son is 11, and wants to mow the lawn. I let him try, but he isn't strong enough yet. The drive function on my mower died, so you have to push, and it's really heavy. Didn't bother fixing it, as my lawn is mostly flat. Had him picking weeds on the front walk instead. He spent a solid 2 hours and I took some pride in seeing him come in looking miserable with filthy hands and ripped up finger tips.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:24 pm I've only used Honda mowers for the past 10 years. can't recommend them enough. I bought the baseline one at Home Depot a few years ago and it's running great. I just pay $75 or so every February/March for a tuneup.
Does this mean you’ve spent $1K on lawnmowers over the past decade?
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

mister d wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:32 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:24 pm I've only used Honda mowers for the past 10 years. can't recommend them enough. I bought the baseline one at Home Depot a few years ago and it's running great. I just pay $75 or so every February/March for a tuneup.
I've spent whatever 3 mowers with exactly zero service costs. Probably about that.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

And made far more than $1K
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:04 pm
And made far more than $1K
Way to take away side hustle work from the high school kids in the neighborhood. Real cool Bronto..Real cool.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Theres always selling bottles of water. The de facto summer job for teens that cant get on at the airport.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:23 am Theres always selling bottles of water. The de facto summer job for teens that cant get on at the airport.
And Bronto's white, so he won't have people calling the cops on him.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:23 am Theres always selling bottles of water. The de facto summer job for teens that cant get on at the airport.
Like, where? At a variety store or something? Or do people just randomly walk down the street selling water? I'm genuinely confused by this...
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

RSmith wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:11 am
Like, where? At a variety store or something? Or do people just randomly walk down the street selling water? I'm genuinely confused by this...
Yes.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:17 am
RSmith wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:11 am
Yes.
Huh. Learn something new every day, I suppose. ;-)
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Did you buy that shitty reel thing or heed our wise words AB?

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:43 am Did you buy that shitty reel thing or heed our wise words AB?
I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I will not be buying a reel mower.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I need to get a weed trimmer.

Most of the use will be in getting rid of weeds that are growing between the brick walkway and the stones in the back. Thos stones are uneven in places because of tree roots.

I guess I prefer cordless and I am cheap.

Any recommendations?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Good ole elbow grease and Round Up.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."