College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: College Football Rest Of The Season 2017

Post by brian »

Was going to watch Army-Navy but had to turn it off thanks to Gary Danielson and the jingoistic America! boners every time there’s a pause in the game.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Too bad. The Linc looks really cool with the snow, like that Lions-Eagles game a few years back.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Was down the game today. Sat in the end zone where the final FG attempt just missed. Great time. Had my dad and son with me. Always great to see this game in person - my first in over a decade. Pageantry, tradition and pride in country.

LJAM - was thinking of that Lions game while sitting there and watching the snow fall the entire game. My second favorite Eagles-Lions game next to the shit kicking the Birds gave them in the playoffs back in 95. Was there at the Vet day. I think Lomas Brown was there too.
oh shit...
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I guarantee Lomas Brown was at that game.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sure, Pentagonz jumps into a bunch of threads but doesn’t note how screwed Wyoming is to draw Central Michigan in the Potato Bowl.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

It depends. Wyo's defense is very good. Their offense is very not.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Square Rob wrote:It depends. Wyo's defense is very good. Their offense is very not.

I was just kidding. It actually should be a good game. They're pretty evenly matched.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

brian wrote:
Square Rob wrote:It depends. Wyo's defense is very good. Their offense is very not.

I was just kidding. It actually should be a good game. They're pretty evenly matched.

It really depends on if Josh Allen is healthy or not. If not, Pokes get killed.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jesus.

https://twitter.com/Mark_Schlabach/stat ... 5103602688

I might literally have more pot than that stuck in the bowels of my keyboard.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Downtown Boise for the Potato Bowl is a little different than what Bourbon Street is like before the Sugar Bowl.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Kind of genius how the Potato Bowl has the MAC as a tie-in. Almost verbatim quote from every CMU fan: “Yeah, it’s cold but it isn’t as bad as Kelly/Shorts in November.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Flyover from F-14s from Mountain Home AFB. Pretty badass.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Charlie Weis Jr. moving from Falcons to Offensive Coordinator for Lane K at FAU. He is 24 years old
http://www.tmz.com/2018/01/17/lane-kiff ... ordinator/
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Urban Meyer is about 50/50 to be Ohio State's head coach by the end of the week (and even that might be charitable.) Fucking football coaches looking the other way at abuse when it's convenient for them.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I put his odds at about closer to 10 or 20 percent at this point.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A fine "Leader of Men."
The way Meyer views himself as a coach, the difficult calls are eventually made very simple by his sanctimonious, self-appointed sense of justice. Whether it was Aaron Hernandez running wild at Florida with no repercussions, Gators running back Chris Rainey texting “Time to die” to his girlfriend or star running back Carlos Hyde caught on video in a violent act before the 2013 season at Ohio State, Meyer needed nothing more than another stroke of his ego to justify giving someone chance after chance.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don’t know, man. All that evidence says he’s a spineless opportunist at best but, on the other hand, he says he’s a good guy.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

1-2 odds Meyer throws his wife under the bus a la Colangelo.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Nothing he or tOSU can do other than accept his resignation.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

I am so glad he's gone from UF. Though I still feel like there's at least one big skeleton in the closet that hasn't been found yet. Given some of the players from back then, that skeleton may be quite literal too.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

phxgators wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:46 am I am so glad he's gone from UF. Though I still feel like there's at least one big skeleton in the closet that hasn't been found yet. Given some of the players from back then, that skeleton may be quite literal too.
Sounds like UF has really cleaned up its image.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Giff wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:49 am
phxgators wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:46 am I am so glad he's gone from UF. Though I still feel like there's at least one big skeleton in the closet that hasn't been found yet. Given some of the players from back then, that skeleton may be quite literal too.
Sounds like UF has really cleaned up its image.
Yeah, it's been quite a couple of weeks, hasn't it?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The MSU coaches have some level of plausible deniability with what happened over there.

I don't see how Meyer survives this one. The fact that he helped cover this up while at UF, brought this guy with him to Columbus, and he's been a serial abuser for about a decade?

That's disgusting.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

But hey, Jay Paterno says this is all unfair, driven by "giddy" fans out for Urban's scalp.

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootb ... meyer.html
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The only good thing about the present state of everything is how pitch perfect the worst people tend to be. A Paterno has to be top 5 funniest Meyer defenders, right? One of them, Briles, Slava Voynov, Adrian Peterson and Warren Moon or something.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:30 am The only good thing about the present state of everything is how pitch perfect the worst people tend to be. A Paterno has to be top 5 funniest Meyer defenders, right? One of them, Briles, Slava Voynov, Adrian Peterson and Warren Moon or something.
Larry Nassar told me that Meyer is innocent. All he needs now is a supportive tweet from Trump.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Do NOT read the mentions at Eleven Warriors or any other tOSU-slanted Twitter account (the coverage from 11W itself and the other pro-tOSU outlets have been fine so far, FWIW, but the mentions. Oh lord, the mentions. We're not talking about the most rational, intelligent fanbase to begin with, but good god.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

We should do one of those thread split things and start the 2018 thread. We being shirley.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:36 am Do NOT read the mentions at Eleven Warriors or any other tOSU-slanted Twitter account (the coverage from 11W itself and the other pro-tOSU outlets have been fine so far, FWIW, but the mentions. Oh lord, the mentions. We're not talking about the most rational, intelligent fanbase to begin with, but good god.
It's...not great.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I've always defended Urban Meyer (and Alex Smith) for what he did in turning Utah into a football school.

But fuck him and his lying ass. He needs to be fired, tonight.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

A_B wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:30 am 1-2 odds Meyer throws his wife under the bus a la Colangelo.
five swampbucks on this please. Ive always wanted to bet on a spineless coward throwing his wife under a bus
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:04 am I've always defended Urban Meyer (and Alex Smith) for what he did in turning Utah into a football school.

This is really a test of how much college football (and college sports in general) cares about off-field morality. There’s obviously a pattern, going back at least to his Florida days, of Meyer turning a blind eye to off-field criminality. It feels like this *should* be it for him but a big part of me remains skeptical that OSU would fire a guy who’s without question the #2 most successful coach in the sport.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I get it under the all-encompassing umbrella of "very successful college football coach does what he wants without question", but what I don't get about all of this is...

Why does Meyer not fire Smith at Florida? Or, if he really wants to do him a favor, makes him leave so as to not present it as a firing after the charges were dropped? He was a graduate assistant (or "intern", as Meyer called him).

And why hire him at tOSU? You're the fucking head coach at Ohio State and you can't find a different wide receiver coach?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Joe K wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:05 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:04 am I've always defended Urban Meyer (and Alex Smith) for what he did in turning Utah into a football school.

This is really a test of how much college football (and college sports in general) cares about off-field morality. There’s obviously a pattern, going back at least to his Florida days, of Meyer turning a blind eye to off-field criminality. It feels like this *should* be it for him but a big part of me remains skeptical that OSU would fire a guy who’s without question the #2 most successful coach in the sport.
Ohio state has more experience firing successful coaches than most places, though.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:28 am I get it under the all-encompassing umbrella of "very successful college football coach does what he wants without question", but what I don't get about all of this is...

Why does Meyer not fire Smith at Florida? Or, if he really wants to do him a favor, makes him leave so as to not present it as a firing after the charges were dropped? He was a graduate assistant (or "intern", as Meyer called him).

And why hire him at tOSU? You're the fucking head coach at Ohio State and you can't find a different wide receiver coach?
I was wondering this too. I read that Smith is the grandson of Earle Bruce, the former OSU coach who gave Meyer his start on coaching and then served as a career-long mentor for him. That has to be part of it, because otherwise it seems completely irrational for Meyer to go to such lengths to protect Smith.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Joe K wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:56 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:28 am I get it under the all-encompassing umbrella of "very successful college football coach does what he wants without question", but what I don't get about all of this is...

I was wondering this too. I read that Smith is the grandson of Earle Bruce, the former OSU coach who gave Meyer his start on coaching and then served as a career-long mentor for him. That has to be part of it, because otherwise it seems completely irrational for Meyer to go to such lengths to protect Smith.
Yeah, that's the only reason. Smith was like a surrogate son to Meyer because of the relationship with Earle Bruce. That doesn't excuse it, but it at least explains it. Meyer seems like a guy who thinks by force of will that he can turn shitheads like Aaron Hernandez and Chris Rainey into decent citizens, but he's just a fucking football coach, not Captain America.