Culinary Hot Takes

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: Culinary Hot Takes

Post by rass »

At a wedding. Ate a filet. Butter soft. Literally. You all would have enjoyed it.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A_B wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:58 pm You're getting bad BBQ.
And there's a lot of it. Here, it's key to know what each place does best. I never order brisket from the oldest place in town, but their sausage and ribs are on point.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Lay's Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Popper chips are pretty good. Not thrilling, but pretty good.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

bfj wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:54 pm Lay's Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Popper chips are pretty good. Not thrilling, but pretty good.
Are they doing the wacky flavor contest again this year? I haven't seen them yet.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:48 pm
bfj wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:54 pm Lay's Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Popper chips are pretty good. Not thrilling, but pretty good.
Are they doing the wacky flavor contest again this year? I haven't seen them yet.
I got pimento cheese (basically just their cheddar/sour cream) and fried green tomatoes which I haven't had yet. only reason I didn't get the jalapeno ones is i literally had bacon wrapped jalapenos in the cart already
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

My friend's wife's sister in law was the winner of that last year or two years ago. Leaned on the hometown of Noblesville and central Indiana, won 1 Million dollars, and promptly fucked off and moved to Colorado. It was hilarious.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:00 pm
My friend's wife's sister in law was the winner of that last year or two years ago. Leaned on the hometown of Noblesville and central Indiana, won 1 Million dollars, and promptly fucked off and moved to Colorado. It was hilarious.
To the googles...

Southern Biscuits and Gravy! I didn't try that one.

And while I was there, it looks like no contest, just a celebration of 'murica.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:00 pmMy friend's wife's sister in law was the winner of that last year or two years ago. Leaned on the hometown of Noblesville and central Indiana, won 1 Million dollars, and promptly fucked off and moved to Colorado. It was hilarious.
That's awesome.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

- We conflate chef and restaurateur too often ... if there are locations outside of the same city, you're the latter, not the former, atleast as far as your places as a whole go. You aren't eating Sean Brock's food in Nashville, you're eating Sean Brock's recipes and concept.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Banana pepper rings add so much to a sandwich.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

found them earlier this year in a visit to NO -- can't get up in NJ.. so amazon!
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

elflaco wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:44 am Image

found them earlier this year in a visit to NO -- can't get up in NJ.. so amazon!
These are great. They are in the vending machine at work and are so damn tasty.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

rass wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:05 pm
BSF21 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:00 pm
To the googles...

Southern Biscuits and Gravy! I didn't try that one.

And while I was there, it looks like no contest, just a celebration of 'murica.
I seem to remember that flavor being the most palatable of all of the attempts that year.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

From that USA Today article regarding the Cajun spice flavor —
The flavor will debut at the Louisiana Shrimp and Petroleum Festival in Morgan City, La. from August 31 to September 2

How much oil is in the gulf these days?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:41 am To be clear about fieri, I’ve never had a bite of any of his food. I just think he is an awesome dude.
Going on a Carnival Cruise this week and it has TWO Guy Fieri restaurants! A burger shack by the pool, and a BBQ brewpub. I'm sure I will hit the brewpub, and since my son is obsessed with BBQ, I may have a Guy Fieri inspired lunch one day. I mean, we just determined there is no such thing as bad BBQ, right?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

So, I’ve been to France a number of times for work now over the last two years, and have decided that French food has the widest spread between delicious and disgusting that I’ve ever experienced. Even eating at really high end places, one part of the meal may be the greatest thing you’ve ever eaten, while the next is absolutely disgusting. Case in point, for my bday this year I was in Lyon (“If Paris is the heart of France, Lyon is it’s stomach” TM). Lyon is famed for its bouchon’s, which are basically small restaurants that cater to local delicacies. To be called a traditional bouchon, they actually have to be certified, and there are only a dozen or so in the city. Got a recommendation for one through the concierge, and verified via the googs that it would be good. Decided to just stick with the menu de jour, as I figure the chef has a plan for a great meal. Of the 4 things I had, three were AMAZING, including the best creme brule I’ve ever had, and the beef tournado was simply perfect. The one thing that was barely edible was the FUCKING TRIPE SALAD that came before the entree. Seriously, tripe salad. It was gross, and I could barely choke it down. Almost as if they make you suffer to make the actual good food taste better.

A separate Lyonnaise specialty that sounds disgusting (but I actually love) is andouillette. It’s basically a ‘sausage’ as it’s an intestine tube stuffed with meat leftovers and seasoning. But, different to sausage like we are used to (and the rest of the sane world), the French don’t grind up the liver and heart and other offal, they just coarsely chop it. Like into half inch chunks. And though they wash the intestines, unfortunately the smell doesn’t really go away. Seriously, if you aren’t ready for it it’s hilariously disgusting. If you order it with an American accent, the waiter will do one of two things: either check and make sure that’s what you want, or take your order with a smile hoping full well you will be disgusted and they can laugh at the weak stomached yank. Just check out these comments from the top English language google hit articles.
Mrs GW put down her fork, worrying that I might have poisoned us with bad meat. I, having partaken of a number of stomach related dishes recognised the clearly faecal hint of intestine. Never one to shy in the face of a culinary challenge, I swallowed hard, tried not to breath in and carried manfully on through the taut bag of innards.
Weirdly, the smell turns me on, rather than off – it's like a slow dance of death with a knife and fork. I'm talking about eating andouillette, an ancient French regional sausage made from the large intestines of the noble pig.
it's utter heaven on a plate. That's if you can get past the aggressive aroma of stale urine mixed with sweet spices and pork fat.
you have to keep your wits about you in French restaurants. You think you're in for elegance - all mirrors, chandeliers and tottering desserts - and suddenly they're serving andouillette. This is a sausage of pigs' intestines. It looks, smells and tastes as if it should be in a lavatory a gastronomic challenge to equal anything slimy offered by New Guinean street traders.
After a relatively short time our meals arrived, with a "bon appetite" from the patron and there in the centre of the plate surrounded on one side by salad and the other side by chips was this thing that looked like a boiled horses penis.
But the smell that emanated from the sausage had already warned my stomach that even a taste of it would have sent me rushing for the toilet.

Anna was not so forewarned and actually put a small fork full of its contents into her mouth. How she didn't gag remains one of this trips many wonders.

I did venture to cutting the beast open just to see if it could possibly be as disgusting as it smelled, and as I hacked the end off, it appeared to be full of writhing snakes all disgorging onto the plate.
Très bon!

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

...taut bag...
Also an apt descriptor for bp after he returns from a long trip alone in France.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That andouillette post reminds me of a lunch we had in Barcelona at a traditional Catalan bistro just off the tourist trail.

Waiter was super friendly and recommend a couple of dishes. The one we had to try was, as far as we could tell from his broken English and our phrase book, a stew of sorts involving baby octopus and olives.

Nothing against either ingredient, but what arrived was a greenish gloop filled with tiny octopi. Stench was revolting (but our neighbours a few tables over seemed to enjoy theirs, so it wasn't off), and after a couple of mouthfuls - hoping desperately that the taste would improve - my wife tried not to gag as she pointed out the the dish looked like a bunch of big boogers.

Other things we ordered were good so we didn't go hungry, but the waiter seemed very anxious for us to enjoy the recommended dish. I managed to get about a third of it down and then tried to cover the remainder with napkins.

I'm sure we became part of a story in that restaurant - the uneducated tourists etc. etc. But man, I feel a bit queasy remembering that meal.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I like to try new things, but I would have almost assuredly thrown up in both of those instances. I gagged a bit at the pictures above, to be honest.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Looks like a weird dick.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

My people call that Kishka.

ETA - we don't call weird dicks Kishka. The stuff SR was talking about.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sorry, Syb, you're out of my sig line.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

bfj wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:07 am My people call that Kishka.

My Bubbie used to make kishka, and the stuffing was matzah meal and spice and a few other things. The key to a kishka is the gravy...

And most importantly, I have never encountered a kishka that smelled like French livestock pooh.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:42 am

My Bubbie used to make kishka, and the stuffing was matzah meal and spice and a few other things. The key to a kishka is the gravy...

And most importantly, I have never encountered a kishka that smelled like French livestock pooh.
Was she stuffing it in real intestines?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

mister d wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:17 am Sorry, Syb, you're out of my sig line.
I'm honored.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Anyone else (not a Jew) eaten tongue sandwiches?
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

bfj wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:20 pm Anyone else (not a Jew) eaten tongue sandwiches?
Yes, many years ago. My Polish grandmother lived with us when I was a young child and we got tongue a couple of times for her. I know I tried it and didn’t hate it but don’t remember much else.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

bfj wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:20 pm Anyone else (not a Jew) eaten tongue sandwiches?
I don't think I've had a tongue sandwich, but I've had it in street tacos. And I remember having tongue when I was kid and I enjoyed it.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

bfj wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:19 pm
Pruitt wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:42 am

Was she stuffing it in real intestines?
Yes.

She used to also make fresh chopped liver. Cooked the liver and then put it through her hand-crank meat grionder. The finished product was good, but that stench was revolting.

And speaking of tongue...

1) In some places in Japan, thin tongue slices are served.

2) My mother would boil entire beef tongues and then slice off pieces for sandwiches. Gross. Imagine the feeling of coming home while coming off a mushroom high, sneaking into the kitchen, opening the fridge door quietly and then lifting the cover to see what the leftovers were and OHMYGOD!!! It's a tongue. Taste buds included.
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

Lengua en su salsa.. deliciious.. never gotten any of my friends to have it a second time once they know what it is though.
gringos=pussy i supose.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Here's a culinary hot take for you. Indian food sucks. I've almost never had an Indian dish that I liked. I can't stand curry powder though so there you go.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

bfj wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:56 am From that USA Today article regarding the Cajun spice flavor —
The flavor will debut at the Louisiana Shrimp and Petroleum Festival in Morgan City, La. from August 31 to September 2

How much oil is in the gulf these days?
enough to get tañked?
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:01 pm Here's a culinary hot take for you. Indian food sucks. I've almost never had an Indian dish that I liked. I can't stand curry powder though so there you go.
Curry is such a small part of Indian food. It's like saying you hate American food because you can't stand chicken.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Well I saying the fact I don’t like curry doesn’t help.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:01 pm Here's a culinary hot take for you. Indian food sucks. I've almost never had an Indian dish that I liked. I can't stand curry powder though so there you go.
Oh no...

No real Indian restaurants in Vegas? I'm not big on curry, but I really like Indian food.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I love curry. It’s usually my go to order at any Indian or Thai place.

When I was a kid I accidentally took a serving of beef tongue at a buffet steam table. My mother slyly watched and waited for my reaction. I spit it out in horror! (But to be fair, when I was a kid I disliked just about everything except meat, potatoes and sugar.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I love Indian food, but then again I'm a Vindaloo guy...which isn't really Indian. We're going to India in December, so looking forward to that. I've been told to just stay away from cold dishes. 3 day of the 10 at a wedding, so hopefully no gastronomical distress there.

But we typically go to a buffet+ place so I partake in a nice masala or 3. They have a brewery with a really great chai stout. Ironically their IPA is very pedestrian.

ETA: When I was a kid my grandmother burnt the f out of a tongue she was cooking up. One of the worst cooking related smells I've ever encountered.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

There's an Indian place here called Himalaya that Bourdain went to that supposedly has some of the best fried chicken in town. It's literally a 6-minute drive from my office and I've never been.

And now I'm craving smoked brisket masala.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Speaking of hot, Hatch green chiles (the real thing) are now arriving in your area unless your area sucks. The New Mexican place I love in town will roast it for you so going to get a few pounds over the weekend.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Boston butts on sale at Kroger for $0.88/lb. Feed about 12-20 for $8. Grilled pork shoulder is the best cheapest way to eat meat.