Cultural Blind Spots

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Cultural Blind Spots

Post by Pruitt »

You're confusing him with Walter Hill.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Chris_L
Maude Lebowski

Post by Chris_L »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:05 am You're confusing him with Walter Hill.
Crap - you're right. This is why I should stick to the Red Sox

Never mind
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Tha fuck is Fortnite?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I am fairly certain it's a 100 person battle royale shooter game that all the kids are playing these days.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

It's free and it's fun. And yes, EVERY boy under the age of, like 25, is playing it constantly.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Shirley wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:16 pm It's free and it's fun. And yes, EVERY boy under the age of, like 25, is playing it constantly.
That seems to be the consensus. I gave up video games a long, long time ago save for the occasional Grand Theft Auto release, but I watched a buddy play and it seemed like a blast.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Johnnie wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 12:38 pm
Shirley wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:16 pm It's free and it's fun. And yes, EVERY boy under the age of, like 25, is playing it constantly.
That seems to be the consensus. I gave up video games a long, long time ago save for the occasional Grand Theft Auto release, but I watched a buddy play and it seemed like a blast.
I sit and watch my son play. He loves the game. It just seems like a lot of time running and chopping shit down and very little time shooting people. Halo was more fun. That said, I haven't played it and do enjoy sitting and making fun of my son and his friends as they get slaughtered.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Any sort of modern day, how do the kids say it? "rap beef"?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Though reading traditional-style media articles breathlessly detailing all of this line by line is pretty funny even without being able to keep track of all of the people involved (mostly because the articles keep cycling between stage names and nick names, even in the same sentence when talking about the same person, I guess to keep from being repetitive?).
In what will go down as not only this song’s biggest bombshell, but one of the biggest airings of dirty laundry of the decade, Push reveals that Drake has been secretly hiding a child he allegedly had with former adult film star Sophie Brussaux, whom Push mentions by name. It’s a rumor that has dogged Drake for months, now seemingly confirmed by Pusha. Even worse, Push alleges that Drake is a deadbeat father to his own son. Here’s the scathing verse in full...
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

And no matter who loses a rap beef, we all win.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I was hip once, but that was a long time ago.

What is kombucha? Is it caffeinated? Help me... the fad has hit Toronto.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Probiotic tea. Some is really good, some tastes too much like vinegar. It might settle my stomach at times or it might be placebo effect.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I'm a fan.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

So, it aids digestion and is generally drank for the benefits to the gut?

Sounds good.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Yep. And D is right. There's some that are too vinegary.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Podcasts.

I know what they are, and even know the du jours by name (hi brian’s book rec) but I’ve never listened to a single one.

Frankly, I’ve been in awe of the time some of you guys find for shit like that for years.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Yeah I listen to wait wait and catch up with some le Batard on commutes buts that’s it for me.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I started with podcasts because everything, and I mean everything from local news, to sports radio to every music station in this city to the ever so gentle CBC, that I could get on the radio irritated and/or angered me.

Recently, my adaptor cord broke and I spent a day without podcasts and it made me nuts.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

You never listened to the Swampcasts with myself, Bronto, and DSafe?

As for when I'm listening to them... Literally right now as I put together my IKEA furniture. Also when driving because the radio is shit.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:29 pm You never listened to the Swampcasts with myself, Bronto, and DSafe?

As for when I'm listening to them... Literally right now as I put together my IKEA furniture. Also when driving because the radio is shit.
Is there anywhere we can still get these, by the way? I had a couple saved on an old PC that may have gotten deleted.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I used to drive. A lot. Changing channels is annoying. Sirius wasn’t worth the money. I download books or podcasts and listen for hours to interesting shit. If I want music I have that on the same iPhone. I really don’t like local sports because the O’s are garbage, maybe I’ll tune in more once NFL starts.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:42 pm
Johnnie wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:29 pm You never listened to the Swampcasts with myself, Bronto, and DSafe?

Is there anywhere we can still get these, by the way? I had a couple saved on an old PC that may have gotten deleted.
I'll have to bust out the computer I recorded them in and upload them to Dropbox or something.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

bfj wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:48 pm I used to drive. A lot. Changing channels is annoying. Sirius wasn’t worth the money. I download books or podcasts and listen for hours to interesting shit. If I want music I have that on the same iPhone. I really don’t like local sports because the O’s are garbage, maybe I’ll tune in more once NFL starts.
God I listened to five minutes of sports radio over the weekend and it is just so awful.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Giff wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:45 am
bfj wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:48 pm I used to drive. A lot. Changing channels is annoying. Sirius wasn’t worth the money. I download books or podcasts and listen for hours to interesting shit. If I want music I have that on the same iPhone. I really don’t like local sports because the O’s are garbage, maybe I’ll tune in more once NFL starts.
God I listened to five minutes of sports radio over the weekend and it is just so awful.
Only time I willingly subjected myself to it was in the buildup to the Bills first playoff game in 17 years. Fun to hear the Buffalo radio guys and fans that week. Otherwise you can feel your brain shrinking as you listen.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:29 pm You never listened to the Swampcasts
These really should be revisited.

Speaking of blind spots, I'm really missing the anesthesiologist view on things, what's up with Howard's disappearance?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:39 am
Johnnie wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:29 pm You never listened to the Swampcasts
These really should be revisited.

Speaking of blind spots, I'm really missing the anesthesiologist view on things, what's up with Howard's disappearance?
I've exchanged notes a few times recently with the good doctor. I think he feels that there isn't any tolerance these days hereabouts for opposing political viewpoints, and so he feels a bit disenfranchised, given his libertarian bent. It didn't use to be that way, and I can't say that I feel he's wrong. (A couple guys here go into attack mode if you voice a view that isn't adequately liberal - and I say this as a guy who has gotten much more liberal over time, myself.) Also, he has been having some health issues.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Well, the Giants are 8 back...I can see how he isn't feeling well.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:01 am
Only time I willingly subjected myself to it was in the buildup to the Bills first playoff game in 17 years. Fun to hear the Buffalo radio guys and fans that week. Otherwise you can feel your brain shrinking as you listen.
A 6th round pick having a good preseason game is proof that all scouting is dumb and wrong is what I learned yesterday.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, my reason for going almost full on podcast during my commute:

1) Sports talk is garbage. And I don't give a shit about the Redskins and that is about 80-90 percent of what they talk about, even in the offseason.

2) I have zero tolerance for what music is on almost all of the dial. And they have such annoyingly long commercial breaks.

3) I have dozens of podcasts in my rotation, and they all entertain my a LOT more than anything on terrestrial radio and over most of what I heard on Sirius. And they're free, unless I feel like throwing them a few dollars in support.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I listen to music off the phone or the jazz or NPR stations when I'm in the car. My car commute is only like 20 minutes at most. I change over to the bus for the ride into Boulder and it's music on the way in (so I can read) and podcasts on the way home. I am getting a bit behind on the podcasts though as I've been hitting the Pats training camp podcasts pretty hard and they are 1.5-2 hours a pop.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Due to this and a 2 hour drive, I listened to the first REM podcast by Adam Scott and Scott _______. Rough start but solid once they actually started talking REM.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:29 pm Podcasts.

I know what they are, and even know the du jours by name (hi brian’s book rec) but I’ve never listened to a single one.

Frankly, I’ve been in awe of the time some of you guys find for shit like that for years.
I listen to podcasts in the car, at the gym, cleaning the house, mowing the lawn... I haven't turned on terrestrial radio once since I got my car in December. It severely cut into my music listening and reading, but I get a lot more out of podcasts.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Giff wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:07 am
Pruitt wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:01 am
A 6th round pick having a good preseason game is proof that all scouting is dumb and wrong is what I learned yesterday.
Josh Allen reminded people of young Jim Kelly two weeks ago.

Didn't listen today, but I'm sure he now reminds those same people of a not so young Rob Johnson.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

mister d wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:50 am Due to this and a 2 hour drive, I listened to the first REM podcast by Adam Scott and Scott _______. Rough start but solid once they actually started talking REM.
Aukerman...from Comedy Bang Bang.

Yeah, it was the same with their U2 one...about 45 minutes of them riffing, and then getting down to actually talking about the subject at hand.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The song Mo Bamba. It's the song to rage to during any hype moment, it seems.

Completely missed this until like a week ago.

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Haven't decided to find out what Bird Box is yet.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Ryan wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:44 pm Haven't decided to find out what Bird Box is yet.
I don't recommend looking for it
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This was either the most perfect meta joke or one hell of an awesome coincidence.

(Speaking as someone who saw it.)
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:35 pm This was either the most perfect meta joke or one hell of an awesome coincidence.

Come on dude. I deserve more credit than that.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A_B wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:49 pm
Johnnie wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:35 pm This was either the most perfect meta joke or one hell of an awesome coincidence.

Come on dude. I deserve more credit than that.
I meant the initial comment from Ryan. I honestly don't know if he's being serious.