Swamp Job Questions

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: Swamp Job Questions

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I didn't time things very well....I've got things pretty much wrapped up (projects handed off, scientists happy with things, desk cleaned out) and still have 2 more days here.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:47 pm I didn't time things very well....I've got things pretty much wrapped up (projects handed off, scientists happy with things, desk cleaned out) and still have 2 more days here.
5 day weekend.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Day drinks.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Office festivus.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

In honor of my last day at the Institute, here's how I'm feeling, courtesy of the great Superchunk:

I'm working...but I'm not working for you! Slack Mother Fucker!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

That's the govmentchedda batsignal!

Congrats on giving Larry Allen two birds up for the last time!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I've been right there for Superchunk shows so many times.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:21 pm Congrats on giving Larry Allen two birds up for the last time!
Paul Allen...not Larry Allen. There's no way I would give Hall of Famer Larry Allen anything but respect.

And....isn't it a bit cowardly for my boss, the guy who told me 'you're not fired, but you need to find a new job', to not be here for my last day?
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:40 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:21 pm Congrats on giving Larry Allen two birds up for the last time!
Paul Allen...not Larry Allen. There's no way I would give Hall of Famer Larry Allen anything but respect.

And....isn't it a bit cowardly for my boss, the guy who told me 'you're not fired, but you need to find a new job', to not be here for my last day?
It is. You should have shit in one of his desk drawers.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Only if he scheduled it after you gave him our two weeks, IMO.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:24 pm Only if he scheduled it after you gave him our two weeks, IMO.
Yeah, not going to fault someone if he wanted to make it a four-day weekend.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:16 pm
A_B wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:24 pm Only if he scheduled it after you gave him our two weeks, IMO.
Yeah, not going to fault someone if he wanted to make it a four-day weekend.
He showed up for my going-away happy hour. Talked to him for a few minutes. I was actually relieved not to have to do the 'exit interview' because I don't think I could have held back on anything, and I don't want to burn bridges.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Fuck it, we’re moving to Grand Junction.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:12 pm Fuck it, we’re moving to Grand Junction.
Before or after going to Austin to see Lucero?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:18 pm
Before or after going to Austin to see Lucero?
Depends on a lot. I’d guess after, but we are starting the whole “getting the house ready to sell” thing when we get back. Seven hours from Vegas!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Awwright man!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Survived my first day at my new job.

Do I have to go back tomorrow?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:53 pm
Awwright man!
And wife just got call from CNO that they created position for her. Looks like we are staying in Houston for a bit.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

All things considered that’s probably for the best. But no harm in keeping your options open if you guys want to relocate at some point.

Congrats to the missus.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yep. What Brian said.

But, you almost gave me a reason to visit my hometown again.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

And just kidding. They want her to take a 37% paycut. And she found out today she is disqualified for unemployment because she was fired. So hopefully she either hears back soon from the job she applied for in GJ or her second interview at the hospital here. I'm not really sure what we're going to do if this drags on too long.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

That sucks. But, hey. Grand Junction!

In other news, I had a lot more training and stuff than I anticipated. One day of HR processing, One day of driver training and test. Three days of orientation. Four days of "carrier academy". One day of shadowing a mailman. Finally, I start walking a route tomorrow, the first two days with a guy watching over my shoulder.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:16 am That sucks. But, hey. Grand Junction!

In other news, I had a lot more training and stuff than I anticipated. One day of HR processing, One day of driver training and test. Three days of orientation. Four days of "carrier academy". One day of shadowing a mailman. Finally, I start walking a route tomorrow, the first two days with a guy watching over my shoulder.
That is the bright side, for sure!

Good luck tomorrow! Maybe my wife should look into that too!
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

Giff wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:53 am And just kidding. They want her to take a 37% paycut. And she found out today she is disqualified for unemployment because she was fired. So hopefully she either hears back soon from the job she applied for in GJ or her second interview at the hospital here. I'm not really sure what we're going to do if this drags on too long.
Giff unless she was fired with cause, she should be able to file for unemployment. At least in Washington state you have to really fuck up to have this happen. If she QUIT that's different. (not nor will ever be a lawyer)
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

blundercrush wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:56 pm
Giff wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:53 am And just kidding. They want her to take a 37% paycut. And she found out today she is disqualified for unemployment because she was fired. So hopefully she either hears back soon from the job she applied for in GJ or her second interview at the hospital here. I'm not really sure what we're going to do if this drags on too long.
Giff unless she was fired with cause, she should be able to file for unemployment. At least in Washington state you have to really fuck up to have this happen. If she QUIT that's different. (not nor will ever be a lawyer)
She was fired with cause, but not the cause given. It's appealable and it seems weird they'd say no to these benefits when the company specifically said she was eligible for re-hire.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Giff wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:03 pm She was fired with cause, but not the cause given. It's appealable and it seems weird they'd say no to these benefits when the company specifically said she was eligible for re-hire.
Generally, employers have to not only show but prove cause for the firing...e.g. provide written documentation of progressive discipline or proof that the act was so egregious that it caused harm. I'm not sure how it works in TX but it might be worth your wife appealing to see if they continue to fight it.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

GoodKarma wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:33 pm
Giff wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:03 pm She was fired with cause, but not the cause given. It's appealable and it seems weird they'd say no to these benefits when the company specifically said she was eligible for re-hire.
Generally, employers have to not only show but prove cause for the firing...e.g. provide written documentation of progressive discipline or proof that the act was so egregious that it caused harm. I'm not sure how it works in TX but it might be worth your wife appealing to see if they continue to fight it.
Already done. Sounds like it's almost the default response if they see there was "cause". Apparently a very similar thing happened to a friend of ours and it just took the appeal to get the benefits.

She found another job she's perfect for doing communications for Vail resorts...can work at HQ in CO or in Tahoe. Yes, please.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, I gave it a couple weeks, but I just quit my mailman job. It wasn't what I was expecting, and I wasn't acclimating to what it really was.

After the heart attack, I wanted a low-stress job and thought this would be that way. It is fucking HIGH stress. They keep track of you via the GPS on your scanner and there is pressure to go fast. That's tough when you are hot, sweaty, tired, and pissed off about various minor things.
I wanted cheap, great healthcare and great benefits. That comes after you get your own route and become a "career" letter carrier. At my level, the healthcare isn't as good or cheap, and I won't move up the next level for several months.
I knew I'd get exercise, but the reality of walking seven miles a day was killing my feet.
I knew I'd be working a lot, but the reality is that they will work you 13 days out of every 14. And after you finish your daily route, you will sort mail at the office until 6:00 pm even though you came back to the office dog-tired with your tongue hanging out. Then, during December, you will work every single day until Christmas and as many hours each day as necessary to get all the mail delivered. Meaning, a lot.
I didn't really need the meager wages. Fortunately I'm not in the situation of a lot of the other mail guys/ladies who appear to have come from modest circumstances and really wanted the overtime pay. Not me.

I'll miss the USPS people. Everybody there was great to me, and seemed genuinely disappointed that I quit. But, not surprised, because I was told that half the people they hire quit quickly. I feel like a big pussy for quitting (which is one of the things accounting for my shitty mood), but I know it was only going to get harder so better to cash in the chips now. My feet are going to hurt for another week as it is. Now, I have to explain a variation of this story to everybody I told about my new job. And that sucks too.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:06 pmI'll miss the USPS people. Everybody there was great to me, and seemed genuinely disappointed that I quit. But, not surprised, because I was told that half the people they hire quit quickly. I feel like a big pussy for quitting (which is one of the things accounting for my shitty mood), but I know it was only going to get harder so better to cash in the chips now. My feet are going to hurt for another week as it is. Now, I have to explain a variation of this story to everybody I told about my new job. And that sucks too.
"After I completed the training part, the job proved to be not what I expected, including considerable more downside. There are things in my current life that I am not willing to compromise on that would have been required in that job. While there were many appealing attributes to keeping the job, the negatives outweighed those positives."

Every word of that is true.

It seems like it shares many attributes of an Amazon fulfillment job between the stress level, having to work exceptionally long hours on your feet, and the job actually becomes even worse during the holidays than the rest of the year. In addition to having read articles about working at one of those centers, my sister worked at one for a year or so. When the reality of that job really sunk in after a while (they had made it sound like they would encourage a move to management), she returned to the restaurant industry, and after a stint as a manager, she took a job waiting tables and is quite happy with it.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:06 pm
I'll miss the USPS people. Everybody there was great to me, and seemed genuinely disappointed that I quit. But, not surprised, because I was told that half the people they hire quit quickly. I feel like a big pussy for quitting (which is one of the things accounting for my shitty mood), but I know it was only going to get harder so better to cash in the chips now. My feet are going to hurt for another week as it is. Now, I have to explain a variation of this story to everybody I told about my new job. And that sucks too.
I'm pretty sure everyone who asks about it, a simple "FUUUUUUUUUCK THAT JOB SUCKED AND I BAILED" would suffice. I mean, we all understand there are shitty jobs out there and they'll all be jealous they can't do the same damn thing.

Sorry for your shitty month dude.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Our neighbour works for Vail Resorts (I think he's in accounting.)

The HQ is like 4 miles from Casa de Rush.

There's this too...and 90K in Greeley is like a 130K anywhere else, though you'd probably blow it all at WeldWerks.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Sorry that didn’t work out as expected SC, and glad you’re in a position to let it go.

Unrelated open question: How much would you need to be paid to spend a week next winter listening to Maroon 5 rehearse a medley of their greatest hits?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:28 pm Our neighbour works for Vail Resorts (I think he's in accounting.)

There's this too...and 90K in Greeley is like a 130K anywhere else, though you'd probably blow it all at WeldWerks.
The wife applied for three jobs at Vail Resorts. Two of them close to you and the other in Lake Tahoe. No offense, but we're taking the Tahoe one if it happens.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

SanCarlos have you looked for jobs at the local library? At least at the places I've worked they were always looking for clerks.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

rass wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:31 pm Sorry that didn’t work out as expected SC, and glad you’re in a position to let it go.

Unrelated open question: How much would you need to be paid to spend a week next winter listening to Maroon 5 rehearse a medley of their greatest hits?
Depends...can I wear headphones to listen to Coldplay or Nickleback?
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Giff wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:34 pm The wife applied for three jobs at Vail Resorts. Two of them close to you and the other in Lake Tahoe. No offense, but we're taking the Tahoe one if it happens.
No worries about that, though we have better beer here. They're buying up a dew resorts in the NE and NW as well I've heard through the grapeline.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:34 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:28 pm Our neighbour works for Vail Resorts (I think he's in accounting.)

The wife applied for three jobs at Vail Resorts. Two of them close to you and the other in Lake Tahoe. No offense, but we're taking the Tahoe one if it happens.
Would you be moving to Northern Nevada or would you be based in Colorado for that one too? I thought I remembered you saying you'd be living in Colorado for all of them?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:36 pm

Would you be moving to Northern Nevada or would you be based in Colorado for that one too? I thought I remembered you saying you'd be living in Colorado for all of them?
We spent a couple days in the Tahoe area in late August. I really like it up there. If my wife had even one iota of interest, I'd get back into skiing.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:06 pm So, I gave it a couple weeks, but I just quit my mailman job. It wasn't what I was expecting, and I wasn't acclimating to what it really was.

After the heart attack, I wanted a low-stress job and thought this would be that way. It is fucking HIGH stress. They keep track of you via the GPS on your scanner and there is pressure to go fast. That's tough when you are hot, sweaty, tired, and pissed off about various minor things.
I wanted cheap, great healthcare and great benefits. That comes after you get your own route and become a "career" letter carrier. At my level, the healthcare isn't as good or cheap, and I won't move up the next level for several months.
I knew I'd get exercise, but the reality of walking seven miles a day was killing my feet.
I knew I'd be working a lot, but the reality is that they will work you 13 days out of every 14. And after you finish your daily route, you will sort mail at the office until 6:00 pm even though you came back to the office dog-tired with your tongue hanging out. Then, during December, you will work every single day until Christmas and as many hours each day as necessary to get all the mail delivered. Meaning, a lot.
I didn't really need the meager wages. Fortunately I'm not in the situation of a lot of the other mail guys/ladies who appear to have come from modest circumstances and really wanted the overtime pay. Not me.

Don't get a job before October 10th, and you can go on a bender with me!

Sorry the job didn't work out, that changed my thoughts on a slow down career move. Newman and Clavin made it seem like living the dream. Just tell people the hours are shit and you don't need to deal with it.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:36 pm

Out of the three positions, one was in Tahoe, one was in Broomfield, and the other was in whichever one the employee wanted. My thought is Tahoe is one of those places if you could feasibly move there with jobs, you do it. Especially if I'm getting an employee discount at Heavenly.