Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Bart O’Kavanaugh hearings and inevitable confirmation

Post by rass »

This shitshow is threadworthy.

Late breaking news:

-Kavanugh is now saying he wasn't at the party in question and this might be a case of mistaken identity (I guess allowing him to deny the allegations and make it seem like he isn't calling the accuser a liar, which is nice of him)
-Senator Hatch says Kavanaugh should be judged on the man he is today, even if the allegations are found to credible

POTUS still hasn't said shit about the assault allegations. Hannity airs in 6 hours or so...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Re: Bart O’Kavanaugh hearings and inevitable confirmation

Post by mister d »

Love when a sitting senator says "even if this is true and he's lying about having done it, he's still a good person".
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm just having a REALLY tough time with this allegation. Shit happened in high school, if it happened at all, which is pretty damn impossible to sort out unless someone comes forward to corroborate.

I don't want the guy confirmed, but this is just a really thin sheet of ice to build that case on.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

What if it were college?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The lack of defiance in those quotes and Conway's make me uneasy.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

mister d wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:10 pm What if it were college?
But it wasn't college. I agree with Nonlinear. Right or wrong we've made decision that a specific number (18) is the cutoff point for someone else to be responsible for one's actions (along with many other things). There has to be a line drawn somewhere.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

There absolutely doesn't have to be an arbitrary age line drawn for making a character judgment when confirming someone to the fucking supreme court.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I don't want 17-year-olds or 16-year-olds or 15-year-olds or etc., sexually assaulting anyone either for whatever that's worth.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

So how do you guys thinking it's shaky feel about the kid from oregon state getting blackballed, then?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:15 pm The lack of defiance in those quotes and Conway's make me uneasy.
It's definitely atypical.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

God damn pathetic. This is why we keep losing elections. There is so much wrong with this nomination, I don't give a fuck how it goes down.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:35 pm God damn pathetic. This is why we keep losing elections. There is so much wrong with this nomination, I don't give a fuck how it goes down.
How about we use this disruption in the process to keep pushing for a release of all of Judge K's public documents? We know without a doubt there is horrendous shit in there. He pushed for torture, he pushed the Unitary Executive philosophy, he doesn't believe a sitting President can be indicted and he was part of Ken Starr's impeachment team, so there is a lot of shit to parse through, and I'm sure some unforgivable stuff. The GOP argues that he is a Judge, so we know what he thinks, but he was a very high level political operative, and that is the shit that matters.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I think the argument that it was long ago and therefore impossible to reliably get the facts straight is better than the argument that we ought to let it pass because he was 17. I mean, it's the Supreme Court. I have a lot more sympathy for the pitcher, because some people seem to think he shouldn't be allowed to make a living at all.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Rex wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:52 pm I think the argument that it was long ago and therefore impossible to reliably get the facts straight is better than the argument that we ought to let it pass because he was 17. I mean, it's the Supreme Court. I have a lot more sympathy for the pitcher, because some people seem to think he shouldn't be allowed to make a living at all.
Why acknowledge the parallel at all?

Heimlich sexually assaulted his six year old niece: cop'd a plea, and then denied it ever happened. In essence, he's still assaulting the girl. In order to sympathize with him, on some level you believe the story he's selling. I have ZERO fucks to give about him not getting drafted; keep MLB as far away as possible from normalizing the sexual assault of children.
Noli Timere Messorem
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, when I brought this up in the other thread, it was mostly about how long ago it was, not the age of the parties. With it being that long ago, there's just almost no chance to corroborate anything in her story. She's not even 100% sure what year it was. The fact that she told her therapist and her husband about it years ago lends a lot of credence to me, but he's now played the best card - maybe it was mistaken identity. They went to different high schools, I don't think they previously knew each other, etc. Maybe she got the wrong guy. It's not likely, but it's not impossible.

I still think she's telling the truth and it was him and I think that matters - regardless of how old or drunk he was - but I have some sympathy for the argument that it's a very tenuous bit of evidence.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It's dumb as fuck that the argument against confirming this POS isn't just simply that he'll do away with Roe v. Wade considering that about 70 percent of the country supports abortion rights. In a functioning democracy that should basically be all it takes to turf this fucker.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Giff wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:35 pm God damn pathetic. This is why we keep losing elections. There is so much wrong with this nomination, I don't give a fuck how it goes down.
This is where I am. The GOP doesn't play by any rules, and they lost the ability to claim ANY high ground after the shit they pulled with Garland, when they made the shitbag in the White House their standard-bearer, and when they abdicated their responsibility of keeping that fucking moron in check. Fuck them. It's not like stalling or even torpedoing Kavanaugh is going to make them LOSE votes in November.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:37 pm It's dumb as fuck that the argument against confirming this POS isn't just simply that he'll do away with Roe v. Wade considering that about 70 percent of the country supports abortion rights. In a functioning democracy that should basically be all it takes to turf this fucker.
This is where I'm at, when it all boils down.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

So this is where we're at.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

It is a wonder that women aren't more pissed off.

Between the misogynist in chief and now this asshole...
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:03 pm POTUS still hasn't said shit about the assault allegations.
nvm
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

rass wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:51 am
rass wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:03 pm POTUS still hasn't said shit about the assault allegations.
nvm
No doubt this is a Fox news talking point...

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Was really talking about this horrifying bit of excrement:
I have no doubt that, if the attack on Dr. Ford was as bad as she says, charges would have been immediately filed with local Law Enforcement Authorities by either her or her loving parents. I ask that she bring those filings forward so that we can learn date, time, and place!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

rass wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:56 am Was really talking about this horrifying bit of excrement:
I have no doubt that, if the attack on Dr. Ford was as bad as she says, charges would have been immediately filed with local Law Enforcement Authorities by either her or her loving parents. I ask that she bring those filings forward so that we can learn date, time, and place!
It shows where we're at in this country that I'm actually surprised he didn't say something along the lines of 'look at her! She's ugly! No way someone would sexually assault her!".

Day's not over yet though...there's still time.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Matt Yglesias dropping some knowledge on Kavanaugh: while it's a tale of privilege, it also paints the story of a man who's not particularly good at well, any of the jobs he's had.
There’s a strange dimension to the Republican campaign to push through Judge Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court, on top of a credible accusation of sexual assault from his days in high school, which Kavanaugh denies. It’s their insistence that he is “one of the most qualified Supreme Court nominees to come before the Senate,” as Senate Judiciary Committee Chair Chuck Grassley put it. “His credentials are well known.”

But what are these qualifications and credentials? An honest look at his career shows that it’s extraordinarily undistinguished.

Born into a privileged family that was well-connected in Republican Party politics, Kavanaugh coasted from Georgetown Prep, where he was apparently a hard partier, into Yale, where he joined the notoriously hard-partying secret society Truth & Courage, and then on to Yale Law School.

Soon after graduating, he got a gig working for independent counsel Ken Starr — a plum position for a Republican lawyer on the make because the Starr inquiry was supposed to take down the Clinton administration. Instead, it ended up an ignominious, embarrassing failure, generating an impeachment process that was so spectacularly misguided and unpopular that Democrats pulled off the nearly impossible feat of gaining seats during a midterm election when they controlled the White House.

Kavanaugh clerked for Alex Kozinski, an appeals court judge who was well known to the lay public for his witty opinions and well known to the legal community as a sexual harasser. When the sexual harassment became a matter of public embarrassment in the wake of the #MeToo movement, Kavanaugh professed to have simply not noticed anything amiss — including somehow not remembering Kozinski’s dirty jokes email distribution list.

Despite this inattention to detail, Kavanaugh ended up in the George W. Bush White House, playing a critical behind-the-scenes role as staff secretary to an administration that suffered the worst terrorist attack in American history, let the perpetrator get away, invaded Iraq to halt the country’s nonexistent nuclear weapons program, and destroyed the global economy.

Kavanaugh then landed a seat on the DC Circuit Court, though to do so, he had to offer testimony that we now know to have been misleading regarding his role in both William Pryor’s nomination for a different federal judgeship and the handling of some emails stolen from Democratic Party committee staff. On the DC Circuit, he issued some normal GOP party-line rulings befitting his career as a Republican Party foot soldier.

Now he may end up as a Supreme Court justice despite never in his life having been involved in anything that was actually successful. He has never meaningfully taken responsibility for the substantive failures of the Starr inquiry or the Bush White House, where his tenure as a senior staffer coincided with both Hurricane Katrina and failed Social Security privatization plan as well as the email shenanigans he misled Congress about, or for his personal failure as a bystander to Kozinski’s abuses.

He’s been a man on the make ever since his teen years, and has consistently acted with the breezy confidence of privilege. As he told Catholic University’s Columbus School of Law, “What happens at Georgetown Prep stays at Georgetown Prep,” though the line was mysteriously omitted from the written transcript of the speech given to Congress.

Sexual assault allegations are an unusually stark example of a system that, by and large, allows elites to operate with impunity while demanding maximum accountability for others. People who took out “irresponsible” mortgages lost everything during the financial crisis, while bank executives who required drastic government intervention to stay afloat continue to amass money and power. Donald Trump’s business practices led to a long list of slap-on-the-wrist fines, while youthful drug dealers or car thieves sit in jail.
This is the notion that precisely because Kavanaugh went to the right schools and held important jobs, we should judge his performance in those jobs — including his inattention to the Kozinski harassment and his misleading congressional testimony (to say nothing of the assault allegations) — with a more critical eye than we would apply to an assistant manager at a Target. That if you take on the job of steering the American economy, your performance will be judged based on whether or not you steered it to prosperity — not whether you steered it better than your least informed critics would have.
Noli Timere Messorem
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

C'mon Enoch. Don't you know that rich white men have been oppressed most in this country?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Seeing this play out here in Nevada as well. The GOP candidate for governor has gotten everywhere in his life because of his last name (Laxalt) being one of the most powerful in Nevada politics (his grandfather was Reagan's favorite senator).

Despite his pedigree, he's basically an idiot. Like a no-joking, no-hyperbole moron of some remarkable dimensions*. Despite working in a "friendly" GOP powerhouse firm, he was almost fired from his job before the GOP backed him to run for AG in the fateful 2014 election where the Republicans won every statewide office regardless of their qualification. And now he's a 50-50 shot to be the next governor here because Democrats don't turn out in midterm elections for some goddamned reason.

White privilege and elite privilege is real.

* - The stories are legion and they're out there if you want to check it out. Two DUIs around his 21st birthday, a dozen traffic tickets, he was basically a party boy before he quit drinking and decided to go into the family business a few years ago.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Sounds like W.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

rass wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:38 am

It's honestly very, very disconcerting how the military reckoned with and is still currently reckoning with sexual assault amongst the ranks whole seeing this play out.

While commanders wield a great deal of power over subordinates, they've had to give in the sexual assault realm. And I agree with Kirsten Gillibrandv that they should be removed completely.

Ultimately there's been a huge campaign and awareness model to stamp it out at all costs while being sensitive to the nature of any situation.

Seeing the government be completely opposite of that is a total mindfuck. This is not how you handle these scenarios. It's heartbreaking.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Here's what I don't get: Why doesn't the GOP just pitch Kavanaugh over the side? There are a thousand other douchebag white lawyers who have the same legal qualifications as Kavanaugh, and would gladly vote to repeal Roe v Wade, that would take his place. And then the Republicans could say 'See? We listen to women, and take sexual assault/harassment charges seriously!".

As it is, they now look helplessly out of touch, and it will only get worse the longer this plays out.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:03 pm Here's what I don't get: Why doesn't the GOP just pitch Kavanaugh over the side? There are a thousand other douchebag white lawyers who have the same legal qualifications as Kavanaugh, and would gladly vote to repeal Roe v Wade, that would take his place. And then the Republicans could say 'See? We listen to women, and take sexual assault/harassment charges seriously!".

As it is, they now look helplessly out of touch, and it will only get worse the longer this plays out.
Maybe the GOP doesn't really want to repeal Roe v Wade but have to put up the facade that they do to appease a small (but important) base. They have to grandstand to block Garland and then appoint their own judges. I believe that if 5 republican judges actually overturn Roe v Wade, it's no risk for the judges, they have a job for life so they'll be fine but the GOP might cease to exist as a party because there would be so much outrage that the GOP will never win another election. That's political suicide.

Also, they want show that the Democrats are evil and these charges are political and not real
"you have nothing on this guy so you can't make up shit to stop us"
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

degenerasian wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:13 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:03 pm Here's what I don't get: Why doesn't the GOP just pitch Kavanaugh over the side? There are a thousand other douchebag white lawyers who have the same legal qualifications as Kavanaugh, and would gladly vote to repeal Roe v Wade, that would take his place. And then the Republicans could say 'See? We listen to women, and take sexual assault/harassment charges seriously!".

Maybe the GOP doesn't really want to repeal Roe v Wade but have to put up the facade that they do to appease a small (but important) base. They have to grandstand to block Garland and then appoint their own judges. I believe that if 5 republican judges actually overturn Roe v Wade, it's no risk for the judges, they have a job for life so they'll be fine but the GOP might cease to exist as a party because there would be so much outrage that the GOP will never win another election. That's political suicide.

Also, they want show that the Democrats are evil and these charges are political and not real
"you have nothing on this guy so you can't make up shit to stop us"
The GOP have backed dozens of candidates and appointees in light of sexual misconduct accusations, why would they suddenly cave in now? Up to this point, they have successfully attacked accused Dems to step down, while insisting accused Republicans are the real victims. They keep getting away with this strategy, why change? They backed a Presidential nominee who happily bragged about "moving on married women like a bitch, grabbing them by the pussy" and uncontrollably kissing unwilling married women, even after 17 women came out accusing him of sexual assault. They backed a known child molester in Roy Moore, so why not an over privileged 17 year old prep schooler involved in "boys will be boys" tomfoolery of attempting to forcibly rape a 15 year old girl? I mean, if it was an adult man in a loving, consensual relationship with another adult man, sure, they would bail, but not for this.

Plus, if they bailed on Kavanaugh now, the next nominee wouldn't be confirmed before the midterms, and probably not before the next Senate is seated, and there is a small chance the Dems take the Senate. If they bail on Kavanaugh, there is a better chance the Dems take the Senate, because Evangelicals will be pissed, because overturning Roe is more important than not putting a rapist on the Supreme Court. Ending abortion has been a major platform issue for the GOP for more than 30 years. Nobody is going to be surprised if they succeed in stacking the Court and overturning Roe. That won't cost a single vote for the GOP.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

JoeK quoted these lines from the excellent piece in The Concourse...
What the American right wants, what it’s after, isn’t some abstract pluralist success, like the smooth functioning of government and/or the material improvement of American life. It wants, only and entirely, to defeat its opponents. Those aren’t quite the same thing. The Republican party would not choose the former if it could be accomplished without the latter.
[/quote]

It has long since stopped being a strictly ideological approach, or even a traditional policy driven attitude (just look at the massive deficits). It is about beating up and humiliating the enemy.

Look at Trump - a man who takes great pleasure in attacking and destroying the goodness in others. he is the perfect avatar for this. Hitch your wagon to this team and never admit defeat, never admit a mistake.

To call this a "Mafia Mindset" I think is too easy. this is fascism, totalitarianism. A woman steps forward claiming that this man almost raped her... than she must have her character destroyed.

I need to stop typing
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

You know, thinking about this, isn't this a complete disqualifier? A Supreme Court Justice who think this flimsy shit is actually credible evidence?

Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..