Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

tennbengal
The Dude

Re: Better Call Saul thread

Post by tennbengal »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:15 am
BSF21 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:15 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:30 am
Jerloma wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:17 am So...fucking...slow...still.
I'm actually starting to fall into this camp. I'm going to stick it out for now, but I watched the first ep last night and I was on my phone playing a game for 45 minutes. It's a mindless game, so I'm listening to all of it, but geez louise it can get ponderous.
Still feel that way? That was a nice slow burn up to when Gus did Gus things.

That episode was brilliantly acted. Every piece of it was excellent. Mike's no bullshit talk with Lydia, Jimmy's pitch at the copier store, and Kim laying into Howard with no mercy.

I think that was the best episode of the series.
If we're talking Ep2, I haven't seen it yet.

I will also admit that I was in a crap mood when I watched Ep1, almost feel like watching it over again.
I'm definitely not gonna argue with someone and tell them that they have to like something, but pretty firmly don't agree with your particular frustrations, I guess. Saul has it's own beats and rhythms which I have found absolutely compelling, even as Jimmy starts his hard slide into being Saul.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: Better Call Saul thread (Spoilers)

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I don't hate watch shows... I don't remotely understand that move.

I loved season 1 and I think I just wasn't in the right space the other night.

Like, I get that it's very cool and edgy to have the first 3 minutes just be him getting out of bed and making coffee. But if you're looking forward to the show picking up where things left off and you're confronted with that weirdness... Just saying you need to be patient with the show sometimes, and I wasn't in that mode.

/swim in lake me

ETA - I love the show, all three seasons. :-)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

slight aside...
I watched ep1 online and it kicked into Lodge 49. Found the main character interesting but can't decide if the show is worth it. Anyone else in on this before I dive into further episodes?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:11 am I don't hate watch shows... I don't remotely understand that move.

Like, I get that it's very cool and edgy to have the first 3 minutes just be him getting out of bed and making coffee. But if you're looking forward to the show picking up where things left off and you're confronted with that weirdness... Just saying you need to be patient with the show sometimes, and I wasn't in that mode.

/swim in lake me

I am guessing BrBa probably had some of that too, but I didn't start watching it until the whole world was finishing it up in the last half season. Which meant I binged it, and watching it that way smoothed that over. The slower parts really ended up being a nice burn to what came after, without the frustration of waiting. I am betting Saul would similarly be good binge style, as last years finale would have bled into the slower re-set to start this season.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:19 am slight aside...
I watched ep1 online and it kicked into Lodge 49. Found the main character interesting but can't decide if the show is worth it. Anyone else in on this before I dive into further episodes?
I was trying to remember where I'd see the main actor, so thanks for bringing this up... He was in a really disturbing ep of Black Mirror (redundant, I know.) Really good acting job.

I'm on the fence on this one.

/unhelpful response
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:22 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:11 am I don't hate watch shows... I don't remotely understand that move.

/swim in lake me

I am guessing BrBa probably had some of that too, but I didn't start watching it until the whole world was finishing it up in the last half season. Which meant I binged it, and watching it that way smoothed that over. The slower parts really ended up being a nice burn to what came after, without the frustration of waiting. I am betting Saul would similarly be good binge style, as last years finale would have bled into the slower re-set to start this season.
That's a great point. I actually stopped watching BB for that very reason and only came back to it when they said they were wrapping it all up. Binged it just like you did.

I have 2 episodes to watch, and I might hold off a few more, just so I can do a little binging down the road.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:30 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:19 am slight aside...
I was trying to remember where I'd see the main actor, so thanks for bringing this up... He was in a really disturbing ep of Black Mirror (redundant, I know.) Really good acting job.

I'm on the fence on this one.

/unhelpful response
I really liked the first episode, but I think if you're not a fan of shows where not that much happens that you're not going to like it. I'm looking forward to it though because it has a really nice vibe I can get into.

(And yes, the actor is Wyatt Russell, son of Kurt and Goldie Hawn.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

No talk about how amazing that cold open was last night? Wonder if we're going to be getting some additional tastes of BB-era Saul this season?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Won’t be able to watch until tonight or tomorrow night. Frantically avoiding spoilers.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:54 am Won’t be able to watch until tonight or tomorrow night. Frantically avoiding spoilers.
so you opened this thread? TB making good choices
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:05 pm
tennbengal wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:54 am Won’t be able to watch until tonight or tomorrow night. Frantically avoiding spoilers.
so you opened this thread? TB making good choices
Living dangerously.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm just gonna go ahead and say it now. Unless they really fuck up the landing somehow and I don't see that happening, Better Call Saul is better than Breaking Bad AND if you include them as one show, surpasses The Sopranos and The Wire as the greatest show in the history of television.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

brian wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:36 pm I'm just gonna go ahead and say it now. Unless they really fuck up the landing somehow and I don't see that happening, Better Call Saul is better than Breaking Bad AND if you include them as one show, surpasses The Sopranos and The Wire as the greatest show in the history of television.
I would have to agree because it has to be hard to make a show that you know ends up as one of the most amazing shows ever. You could really end up fucking up the legacy for both shows.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

What a great season finale. I care about both story lines (Saul/Kim and Mike/Fring) equally.
[+] spoiler
Both Saul and Mike took major character turns that certainly put them on their BB paths respectively. Seeing Kim’s face when she realizes Jimmy was bullshitting the appeals board was a great piece of acting.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Rhea Seehorn was amazing all season. My one complaint, and it's minor, is there really needs to be more Howard.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I do love me some HH. So, what happens to Kim?

Breaks up and moves away?
Dies?
Goes to jail (my guess)?
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

bfj wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:54 am I do love me some HH. So, what happens to Kim?

Breaks up and moves away?
Dies?
Goes to jail (my guess)?
Is waiting at home to greet Saul after his Cinnabon shift.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Decapitated with her head stuck on a tortoise?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Anybody else watching this season? Really love this show and this season has been amazing.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

bfj wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:37 pm Anybody else watching this season? Really love this show and this season has been amazing.
Absolutely. The whole series has been fantastic and this season is the best yet. Rhea Seahorn should win an Emmy for what she is doing with her Kim Wexler character. It’s all so good but she’s been unreal.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:47 pm
bfj wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:37 pm Anybody else watching this season? Really love this show and this season has been amazing.
Absolutely. The whole series has been fantastic and this season is the best yet. Rhea Seahorn should win an Emmy for what she is doing with her Kim Wexler character. It’s all so good but she’s been unreal.
Quite the twist at the end of the episode.
[+] spoiler
The last episode was fantastic, and marked the turn of when I started to dislike Jimmy. I always rooted for him up until now, but he was a shit last time.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

[+] spoiler
His turn on Kim and then trying to justify it...just so full blown slipping Jimmy...
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

[+] spoiler
i was thinking that with Howard’s hookers.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Revenge. Jimmy speaks that language cold too. Same as Gus and Mike. And the Salamancas and Walter white too. The ones who stayed mostly above the line in the shows never succumbed to that. Kim, so far. Jesse. Skyler.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I agree that the show is awesome and Rhea Seahorn is so good as Kim. Buuuuut, I'm having a hard time understanding/believing that she'd stay with him after all of this. Particularly that last trick.

It's also a little hard to believe that Mesa Verde wouldn't have fired her immediately after Jimmy's meeting. They should have fired her long before that, to be honest.
Totally Kafkaesque
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Shirley wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:43 pm I agree that the show is awesome and Rhea Seahorn is so good as Kim. Buuuuut, I'm having a hard time understanding/believing that she'd stay with him after all of this. Particularly that last trick.

It's also a little hard to believe that Mesa Verde wouldn't have fired her immediately after Jimmy's meeting. They should have fired her long before that, to be honest.
The Mesa verde guy will do whatever he wants to do. I’ve worked under and directly reported to billionaires and they literally will do whatever they take a notion to sometimes whether logic is involved or not. So her trying to quit the account last episode and him rejecting it as not wanting to be pushed around isn’t something I saw as unususl for that type of wealth.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

As for her staying with Jimmy, I read the last line from her as a what is likely a last ditch effort to “save” him from himself...that is doomed to failure. We know she’s apparently the child of an alcoholic, co-dependent trying to “save” loved ones is likely built into her character’s DNA at some level...
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

tennbengal wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:36 am
Shirley wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:43 pm I agree that the show is awesome and Rhea Seahorn is so good as Kim. Buuuuut, I'm having a hard time understanding/believing that she'd stay with him after all of this. Particularly that last trick.

The Mesa verde guy will do whatever he wants to do. I’ve worked under and directly reported to billionaires and they literally will do whatever they take a notion to sometimes whether logic is involved or not. So her trying to quit the account last episode and him rejecting it as not wanting to be pushed around isn’t something I saw as unususl for that type of wealth.
I get his not letting her step away when she first tried to resign. But once Saul started with all the tricks to delay demolition, I have a hard time believing anyone would still trust the attorney that lived with the guy trying all that shit. Even if you believed she kept her professional life separate and didn't talk work with Saul/Jimmy, would you trust anyone who stayed in a relationship with a guy like that? And would you want as your attorney someone who could just ignore that when she's at home? Guys like that want/expect their attorneys to be working for them 24 hours a day. not sleeping with the enemy every night. I'm not that kind of asshole and even I would no longer trust my attorney in that case.
Totally Kafkaesque
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I wouldn’t. But I am telling you that extremely wealthy dudes are wired differently. FWIW, Kim’s partner saw through it leading to their blowup in the office.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I watched one or two episodes this season, just having a hard time getting back into it. I feel like I'm missing 6 layers of every seen. I don't remember who some of the characters are or their significance from things that happened in Breaking Bad.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

tennbengal wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:38 am As for her staying with Jimmy, I read the last line from her as a what is likely a last ditch effort to “save” him from himself...that is doomed to failure. We know she’s apparently the child of an alcoholic, co-dependent trying to “save” loved ones is likely built into her character’s DNA at some level...
Yeah that cold open in the most recent episode wasn’t an accident.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, I watched three episodes this weekend to get caught up. Glad I did! Held off reading this thread until I did, and enjoyed catching up, here, too.

I hope this is the last season, for the sake of Jonathan Banks. He looks as though he might not make it through another one.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:47 pm So, I watched three episodes this weekend to get caught up. Glad I did! Held off reading this thread until I did, and enjoyed catching up, here, too.

I hope this is the last season, for the sake of Jonathan Banks. He looks as though he might not make it through another one.
There’s one more after this one.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

So does Kim propose marriage because spouses can’t be made to testify against each other?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

bfj wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:50 am So does Kim propose marriage because spouses can’t be made to testify against each other?
It crossed my mind.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Since Breaking Bad never delved into the personal life of Saul Goodman wouldn't it be interesting if Kim was actually married to Jimmy/Saul during the entire time of the events of Breaking Bad and he had to leave Kim for her sake much like Walter had to leave Skyler?

Considering how shitty most BB fans were to Skyler and how most BCS fans love Kim, it would be an interesting way to point out the hypocrisy if during the last season and a half or so here Kim tries to be the voice of reason much like Skyler was to Walt.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I don't do Twitter or Reddit, so my dislike of Skyler wasn't borne out of anything other than she was just an annoying shrew.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:19 am I don't do Twitter or Reddit, so my dislike of Skyler wasn't borne out of anything other than she was just an annoying shrew.
I think she was just trying to protect her family. Granted, maybe hers and Kim's styles are a little different, but the overall idea is the same. There's also some parallels because eventually Skyler did know about and accept Walt's criminality, much like Kim would eventually have to if she's going to stay with Jimmy.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Great fucking episode.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Ended strong. The last few episodes were outstanding.

You can more clearly see the path to Kim's downfall now which is just heartbreaking.
Totally Kafkaesque