sancarlos
The Dude

Re: My Wish to Sail Through Life Without Serving on a Jury

Post by sancarlos »

Woo hoo. Dodged the bullet!

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I’m back in the pool! Whooooooooooo
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

I caught a murder trial the first time I was called, two summers ago. It was extremely interesting, and I did the best I could in good faith. Ended up as jury foreman, and we did convict. It brought the added element of if we convicted on the max charge, death penalty would have been one of the judges possible sentences. I only answered the questions I was asked during voir dire, otherwise I would have indicated I was anti death penalty.

We convicted on a lesser charge, but still felony murder. I was ready to convict on capital murder, but others weren’t. We got everyone to agree on the technicalities of the lesser charge. Guy claimed self-defense, but it didn’t make sense from the evidence. Case involved a previous fight where a claw hammer was buried in the skull of the eventual victim.

Was called again for grand jury a couple of months ago and begged out. Judge and DA we’re both involved on my case two years ago, and they accepted my excuse.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

A_B wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:33 pm I’m back in the pool! Whooooooooooo
Orientation tomorrow! Then call every morning during October.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Square Rob wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:33 pm I caught a murder trial the first time I was called, two summers ago. It was extremely interesting, and I did the best I could in good faith. Ended up as jury foreman, and we did convict. It brought the added element of if we convicted on the max charge, death penalty would have been one of the judges possible sentences. I only answered the questions I was asked during voir dire, otherwise I would have indicated I was anti death penalty.

We convicted on a lesser charge, but still felony murder. I was ready to convict on capital murder, but others weren’t. We got everyone to agree on the technicalities of the lesser charge. Guy claimed self-defense, but it didn’t make sense from the evidence. Case involved a previous fight where a claw hammer was buried in the skull of the eventual victim.

Was called again for grand jury a couple of months ago and begged out. Judge and DA we’re both involved on my case two years ago, and they accepted my excuse.
Damn. That's an awesome responsibility. Has it been really stressful for you?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Was called in this morning. Was a murder trial. But because our term ends Friday and this was to be a 10 day trial, a lot of people had conflicts starting next week. Judge released us all and is rescheduling the trial.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Dammit. The Feds are coming after me!
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Sabo wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:22 pm Dammit. The Feds are coming after me!
Trial or grand jury?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Trial. I have to call in every Sunday for a month to see if I have to report. The pamphlet that came with the summons claims most trials last 3-5 days but some "may be longer". No shit.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The wife is at jury duty today (county criminal courts) and got seated, but they've had a three-hour delay before the trial starts. The bailiffs wouldn't say but likely the prosecutors and defense are haggling over some kind of a plea.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Sabo wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:22 pm Dammit. The Feds are coming after me!
County got me today! In some ways, I want to sit on a jury and critique the lawyers and get the experience, but on the other hand, trials are almost all boring as shit, and the Courthouse is in the middle of a Third World country, maybe Guatemala.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:44 pm The wife is at jury duty today (county criminal courts) and got seated, but they've had a three-hour delay before the trial starts. The bailiffs wouldn't say but likely the prosecutors and defense are haggling over some kind of a plea.
That's exactly what happened to me. Got picked at end of day. Came back the next day and sat in the jury room for a few hours before they sat us and told us we could leave. I went and saw Star Wars instead of going back to work.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I got out of Jury duty because I was teaching and there was no way the college could have replaced me on short notice (Dean wrote me a note...)

But my fear is not just serving on a jury, but serving at a trial that would have horrific, traumatic evidence.

Out of curiosity, are there provisions whereby a person can back out when they hear about the nature of the trial?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:51 am I got out of Jury duty because I was teaching and there was no way the college could have replaced me on short notice (Dean wrote me a note...)

But my fear is not just serving on a jury, but serving at a trial that would have horrific, traumatic evidence.

Out of curiosity, are there provisions whereby a person can back out when they hear about the nature of the trial?
During selection the lawyers will generally ask if anyone would have issues with some of the evidence. The one I went in for (but didn't serve) the lawyers said there would be medical images that might be hard to see and if anyone would have difficulty looking at those and judging fairly. It doesn't automatically disqualify you, but the lawyers get a certain amount of free strikes from the pool I believe and if one thought it might affect their case they could choose to strike you.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:51 am I got out of Jury duty because I was teaching and there was no way the college could have replaced me on short notice (Dean wrote me a note...)

Yes, especially for criminal trials. For example, if you were a victim of the same type of crime, the Judge will dismiss you. The judge will also ask if there are any reasons why you couldn't fairly weigh the evidence.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

All that said, it's really, really hard to get yourself off of a jury. Most judges these days won't take any shit from people. They're pretty much only interested in removing anyone that could cause an issue if the case is eventually appealed.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

brian wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:17 am All that said, it's really, really hard to get yourself off of a jury. Most judges these days won't take any shit from people. They're pretty much only interested in removing anyone that could cause an issue if the case is eventually appealed.
When I was there, they sent home more than half of the names called after a 10 second convo with the lawyers and judge.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Ryan wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:20 am
brian wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:17 am All that said, it's really, really hard to get yourself off of a jury. Most judges these days won't take any shit from people. They're pretty much only interested in removing anyone that could cause an issue if the case is eventually appealed.
When I was there, they sent home more than half of the names called after a 10 second convo with the lawyers and judge.
Yeah, without knowing the context I believe it. But what I'm saying is they're not really interested in why you can't miss a week of work or why your spouse can't take care of your kids, etc. If they let that kind of shit slide you'd only end up with homeless people on juries. It's bad enough as it is that most people try to shirk jury duty so you're not really getting a jury of your peers, you're getting a jury of retirees and the unemployed.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The one and only time I was almost seated for a jury (young black guy charged with a gun offense), the defense attorney was excusing every older white male and the prosecutor was excusing every black person.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:22 am
Yeah, without knowing the context I believe it. But what I'm saying is they're not really interested in why you can't miss a week of work or why your spouse can't take care of your kids, etc. If they let that kind of shit slide you'd only end up with homeless people on juries. It's bad enough as it is that most people try to shirk jury duty so you're not really getting a jury of your peers, you're getting a jury of retirees and the unemployed.
Judge dismissed whole room of us last week because our term was technically going to end before the trial and she didn't think it was fair to make people serve and additional 4-6 days when we'd already made arrangements for October, not November. But for a 1-2 day trial, i don't think they care much what your excuse is for sure.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

When I served a few years ago, the judge threatened this asshole with contempt of court when he started bitching about being called in for jury duty. Something about being a butcher was too important to spend 2 days on a jury.

I enjoyed it. I would do it again at the drop of a hat. I really would like to serve on a federal grand jury.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

duff wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:28 pmI enjoyed it. I would do it again at the drop of a hat. I really would like to serve on a federal grand jury.
I did it about ten years ago. We were able to have a couple excused absences, but otherwise, it was a commitment every Tuesday(?) morning for six months. Seriously. I was excused twice for being out of town and we were in 23 of the other 24 weeks. There were only a couple times we were there long enough to have a lunch break, but it was an aggravation to go every week.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

On third day of voir dire in my wife's case. She's 35 out of 40 so it's pretty unlikely she'll get seated, but they're asking a LOT of question related to conflicts for the case and (I learned this myself) people are chatty Cathys in that situation for some reason telling the judge their whole life story in response to every question.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Tomorrow, dammit.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Bold move by the lady in the t-shirt with the stylized thin blue line American flag, assuming she ends up in the pool for a criminal trial.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Also, if given the chance I’m going to plead economic hardship since my company no longer reimburses for jury duty, and at this point in the year I’m pretty low on vacation days.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

rass wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:46 am Also, if given the chance I’m going to plead economic hardship since my company no longer reimburses for jury duty, and at this point in the year I’m pretty low on vacation days.
Is that even legal?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Apparently. And why not? I would be great if it had to be covered.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

IN kentucky at least they have to give you the time off, but they don't have to pay you for it.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

It shouldn't cost one a paid day off to do something mandated by the government through random draw that if you didn't do, you could be arrested for.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Lunch options in Elizabeth NJ are better than what was available the last time I served in Newark.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Got stuck waiting for my voir dire side panel with the judge and attorneys all afternoon and so I’m headed back there tomorrow. Dammit.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:20 am IN kentucky at least they have to give you the time off, but they don't have to pay you for it.
That's the law in all but 8 states... Rass, if you are exempt, most employers pay you for days missed due to jury duty, I'd check your policy. Even if they don't, if you work any part of the week, they have to pay your full wages for the week (still assuming exempt status). If you are non-exempt, they must give you unpaid leave without docking any leave, or allow you to use paid leave.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Not sure what you mean by exempt?

Our policy states that time off is granted for the duration of jury duty, but we need to either take PTO days or go unpaid.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

rass wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:18 am Not sure what you mean by exempt?

Our policy states that time off is granted for the duration of jury duty, but we need to either take PTO days or go unpaid.
Generally speaking, exempt employees are salaried; non-exempt employees are hourly.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Sabo wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:19 am
rass wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:18 am Not sure what you mean by exempt?

Generally speaking, exempt employees are salaried; non-exempt employees are hourly.
While I would get fired for saying that, pretty much. Exempt means exempt from overtime. There is a complicated subjective 3 prong test, but for the most part, salaried employees don't get paid OT (but incorrect classification is very common).
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Gotcha. Fucking lawyers.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Anyway, it was a nasty sounding homicide case that the judge felt was going to go 14+ days at a minimum. I got interviewed about an hour into the process this morning, told the judge I'm not getting paid, and he let me go. Service complete.

The defense attorney's beard (really, his entire look) was spectacular. He looked really familiar, but I couldn't tell if that was just because he reminded me of this guy.

My company has gone from paying for jury duty when I first got here, to not paying but allowing one day off to make your case for getting out of it, to now granting time off but not paying at all. About the least employee friendly policy we have, IMO, but maybe that's immediacy bias.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I would kill (ha!) to get on the jury for a two-week homicide case. It's gotta be better than my day to day at work.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Whatever sliver of remaining optimism you had about the country would be gone before those two weeks were up.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.