GRILLZ!

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, brian, ZMan, Sabo

cerrano
Jesus Quintana
Posts: 937
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:16 pm

GRILLZ!

Post by cerrano » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:35 am

so, i've had a weber genesis gas grill that has served me very well for 8 years and will likely serve me well for at least another 8 if not more. no problems whatsoever with it. could heat up a little quicker, but holds its temp very well.

but i want more. i'm really interested in smoking things like brisket, ribs, sausages, etc, and the gas grill aint built for that. so i think my two options are the following.

1. buy a dedicated smoker like the pit barrel cooker for like $300, or...

2. get a weber kettle grill and a smokenator which will cost like $250 or so total.

but i think i'm having trouble pulling the trigger on option 2 because i feel like i'm making my gas grill superfluous. anybody else have both in their back yard? if so, what do you still use the gas grill for?
"i'm just a middle-aged black woman trying to get into the senate."

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 15729
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by mister d » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:41 am

I'll have a Smokey Mountain next to my Genesis as soon as I can think of a good reason to drop $300 on it so my vote would be dedicated smoker, especially since you already have the gas.



(Semi-related: Feeding the Fire (by the dude who owns a few Brooklyn restaurants including Fette Sau, which has a Philadelphia outpost), is a really good open-fire grilling cookbook.)
Rush2112 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:46 pm
Dude got a handjob like thousands of old dudes do every day. Big whoop.

User avatar
Sabo
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4457
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:33 am
Location: On the trail

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by Sabo » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:44 am

cerrano wrote:so, i've had a weber genesis gas grill that has served me very well for 8 years and will likely serve me well for at least another 8 if not more. no problems whatsoever with it. could heat up a little quicker, but holds its temp very well.

but i want more. i'm really interested in smoking things like brisket, ribs, sausages, etc, and the gas grill aint built for that. so i think my two options are the following.

1. buy a dedicated smoker like the pit barrel cooker for like $300, or...

2. get a weber kettle grill and a smokenator which will cost like $250 or so total.

but i think i'm having trouble pulling the trigger on option 2 because i feel like i'm making my gas grill superfluous. anybody else have both in their back yard? if so, what do you still use the gas grill for?
I'll sell you my Weber kettle grill if you come to Cleveland to pick it up. It's in good shape and has a cover!
The Sybian wrote:Goddamnit, Sabo!

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 6243
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by wlu_lax6 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:47 am

A wise man once told me the following.
* When you are young you buy a charcoal grill. You love it because you know it is real and the food tastes better
* You make or buy a charcoal starter because you really don't want to go gas, but time pressure is starting to hit.
* Then you have kids and you go to gas because it is just easier, heats faster, etc. You accept that gas taste is not the same, but you still love it.
* You try to do more with your gas grill by accessorizing (getting a wood box, upgrade the grates, etc)
* You have time again and you mature to a smoker (he specifically said the little green egg), but I get what he is saying.

I am currently still in bullet 3 land.

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 13168
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by A_B » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:52 am

Sam's Club has been running a deal on a combo smoker/charcoal grill/gas grill all summer. I almost bought it but then i punched a hole in my TV so saving that money for a new Bar TV.
Duke's working the knob! Flush it all

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 15877
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: T-Mobile Arena

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by brian » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:13 am

A_B wrote:Sam's Club has been running a deal on a combo smoker/charcoal grill/gas grill all summer. I almost bought it but then i punched a hole in my TV so saving that money for a new Bar TV.
Steelers let you down, eh?

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 11560
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by rass » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:22 am

brian wrote:
A_B wrote:Sam's Club has been running a deal on a combo smoker/charcoal grill/gas grill all summer. I almost bought it but then i punched a hole in my TV so saving that money for a new Bar TV.
Steelers let you down, eh?
Good chance it was Cat related, at least.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
Rush2112
The Dude
Posts: 5554
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:35 pm
Location: Cyrus X-1
Contact:

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by Rush2112 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:31 am

I have a gas grill, a little R2D2 smoker, and will soon (I hope) have a bourbon barrel smoker (just have to find time to cut a barrel and assemble the pieces.)
"If you're into power let's go down to my van, because Red Barchetta through a 10 gigawatt pre-amp is-wait... pleassee tell me you're into Rush...."

User avatar
Gunpowder
The Dude
Posts: 6177
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:52 am
Location: NAPES, FLURRDA
Contact:

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by Gunpowder » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:58 am

A_B wrote:Sam's Club has been running a deal on a combo smoker/charcoal grill/gas grill all summer. I almost bought it but then i punched a hole in my TV so saving that money for a new Bar TV.

Yeah man....I couldn't believe that Danarious was not the father, either.
"Enjoyed this one," Gunpowder told the Burlington Observer. "But it's back to work tomorrow."

cerrano
Jesus Quintana
Posts: 937
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:16 pm

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by cerrano » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:43 pm

so i am gathering that few maintain separate charcoal and gas grills. i think the smoker might be the way to go. more versatile for smoking and i can still do steaks and other shit over the coals when i'm not hanging ribs or other meats. i'm not handy enough to build my own smoker, but those r2d2 smokers look pretty damn cool.

Image
"i'm just a middle-aged black woman trying to get into the senate."

User avatar
Rex
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4236
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by Rex » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:24 pm

What am I supposed to do with this picture of my teeth now?

User avatar
devilfluff
Brandt
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:41 pm

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by devilfluff » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:15 pm

I have a charcoal kettle grill and a propane smoker...

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 15729
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by mister d » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:02 am

Can I swap out the manifold myself or am I going to blow myself up?
Rush2112 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:46 pm
Dude got a handjob like thousands of old dudes do every day. Big whoop.

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 13168
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by A_B » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:12 am

mister d wrote:Can I swap out the manifold myself or am I going to blow myself up?
I mean, I'd recommend unhooking the propane personally. But you do you.

I've replaced pretty much every part of a grill except that, so I imagine most people could with some time and patience. There's probably a youtube vid somewhere.
Duke's working the knob! Flush it all

User avatar
Rush2112
The Dude
Posts: 5554
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:35 pm
Location: Cyrus X-1
Contact:

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by Rush2112 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:22 am

I replaced one on a grill that we had way back when. Not that difficult, but you will scrape the shit out of knuckles multiple times.
"If you're into power let's go down to my van, because Red Barchetta through a 10 gigawatt pre-amp is-wait... pleassee tell me you're into Rush...."

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 15729
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by mister d » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:57 am

Wow, can't believe I've left you guys hanging for 1.5 years on this one. I successfully replaced the manifold!

Also, finally got the smoker. Anyone have any first timer tips?
Rush2112 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:46 pm
Dude got a handjob like thousands of old dudes do every day. Big whoop.

User avatar
BSF21
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3657
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 pm
Location: Playing one off the Monster

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by BSF21 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:26 am

mister d wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:57 am
Wow, can't believe I've left you guys hanging for 1.5 years on this one. I successfully replaced the manifold!

Also, finally got the smoker. Anyone have any first timer tips?
In on this. Got one for Xmas and it's getting warm enough outside to start using it.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 13168
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by A_B » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:32 am

Smoking knows no season.
Duke's working the knob! Flush it all

User avatar
Brontoburglar
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4120
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:20 am

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by Brontoburglar » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:36 am

I got an electric smoker for Christmas and I have become a big fan of it. much easier to cook in winter.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 10321
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by The Sybian » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:49 pm

mister d wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:57 am
Wow, can't believe I've left you guys hanging for 1.5 years on this one. I successfully replaced the manifold!

Also, finally got the smoker. Anyone have any first timer tips?
What smoker did you get? I'm in the market, to lazy to look into options yet. Everything I've seen in stores looks like cheap crap, except the Green Egg, but it seems so expensive. Worth it?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
Rush2112
The Dude
Posts: 5554
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:35 pm
Location: Cyrus X-1
Contact:

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by Rush2112 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:58 pm

mister d wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:57 am
Wow, can't believe I've left you guys hanging for 1.5 years on this one. I successfully replaced the manifold!

Also, finally got the smoker. Anyone have any first timer tips?
Read Meathead's book or visit his website.
"If you're into power let's go down to my van, because Red Barchetta through a 10 gigawatt pre-amp is-wait... pleassee tell me you're into Rush...."

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 6350
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by govmentchedda » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:49 am

The Sybian wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:49 pm
mister d wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:57 am
Wow, can't believe I've left you guys hanging for 1.5 years on this one. I successfully replaced the manifold!

Also, finally got the smoker. Anyone have any first timer tips?
What smoker did you get? I'm in the market, to lazy to look into options yet. Everything I've seen in stores looks like cheap crap, except the Green Egg, but it seems so expensive. Worth it?
I love my knock off egg, purchased on Amazon for less than $300. Char-griller Akorn.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 15729
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by mister d » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:02 am

Mid-size Weber Smokey Mountain. Haven't heard any complaints from the people who have one.



(I loved the idea of the Egg but it would have been a singular grill out back and I need the gas for the quick dinner option.)
Rush2112 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:46 pm
Dude got a handjob like thousands of old dudes do every day. Big whoop.

User avatar
phxgators
Brandt
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:19 pm

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by phxgators » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:00 am

govmentchedda wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:49 am
The Sybian wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:49 pm
mister d wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:57 am
Wow, can't believe I've left you guys hanging for 1.5 years on this one. I successfully replaced the manifold!

Also, finally got the smoker. Anyone have any first timer tips?
What smoker did you get? I'm in the market, to lazy to look into options yet. Everything I've seen in stores looks like cheap crap, except the Green Egg, but it seems so expensive. Worth it?
I love my knock off egg, purchased on Amazon for less than $300. Char-griller Akorn.
Have the Akorn too. Haven't quite gotten good enough with it to trust an overnight brisket smoke yet. Feels like I have to tweak the vents every hour or so to hold temp. I've read you can do some mods, like lining the seal with felt for a better fit. Have you done anything like that?

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 6350
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by govmentchedda » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:10 am

phxgators wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:00 am
govmentchedda wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:49 am
The Sybian wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:49 pm
mister d wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:57 am
Wow, can't believe I've left you guys hanging for 1.5 years on this one. I successfully replaced the manifold!

Also, finally got the smoker. Anyone have any first timer tips?
What smoker did you get? I'm in the market, to lazy to look into options yet. Everything I've seen in stores looks like cheap crap, except the Green Egg, but it seems so expensive. Worth it?
I love my knock off egg, purchased on Amazon for less than $300. Char-griller Akorn.
Have the Akorn too. Haven't quite gotten good enough with it to trust an overnight brisket smoke yet. Feels like I have to tweak the vents every hour or so to hold temp. I've read you can do some mods, like lining the seal with felt for a better fit. Have you done anything like that?
I haven't. I got it last summer, and have probably used it 15-20 times or so. I'm starting to get better at regulating the temperature on my own, but most of my cooks have been fast cooks, not slower. Contemplated getting one of those electronic thermostats that regulates it for you, but it costs as much, or more, as the grill did! Granted, the grill was a steal, but I can't get around that.

When you slow cook, do you get it cranked all the way up then throttle it down to your desired temp? What thermometers are you using now?

Also, I see that Cigar City Brewing is now available in Arizona.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 15729
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by mister d » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:19 am

(I have nothing to add except I got the nice thermoworks one here because someone had a gift card to the local kitchen store!!!)
Rush2112 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:46 pm
Dude got a handjob like thousands of old dudes do every day. Big whoop.

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 11560
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by rass » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:24 am

My (I guess shitty) grill completed the process of rusting out last summer, but my wife (or maybe one of the kids?) won a Miller Lite branded grill at a raffle so I'll give that a try before buying something else.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
Rush2112
The Dude
Posts: 5554
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:35 pm
Location: Cyrus X-1
Contact:

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by Rush2112 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:50 am

govmentchedda wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:10 am

Also, I see that Cigar City Brewing is now available in Arizona.
(He lives in Colorado now.)

I haven't done the overnight smoke yet, typically I just start early, early morning and mix in coffee with beer. Only had one instance that it got a wee bit hot..tried to to stoke up and take a mid-morning nap.
"If you're into power let's go down to my van, because Red Barchetta through a 10 gigawatt pre-amp is-wait... pleassee tell me you're into Rush...."

User avatar
phxgators
Brandt
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:19 pm

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by phxgators » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:55 am

govmentchedda wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:10 am

I haven't. I got it last summer, and have probably used it 15-20 times or so. I'm starting to get better at regulating the temperature on my own, but most of my cooks have been fast cooks, not slower. Contemplated getting one of those electronic thermostats that regulates it for you, but it costs as much, or more, as the grill did! Granted, the grill was a steal, but I can't get around that.

When you slow cook, do you get it cranked all the way up then throttle it down to your desired temp? What thermometers are you using now?

Also, I see that Cigar City Brewing is now available in Arizona.
When I slow cook, I bring it up slowly. Start closing the vents some around 150ish, then close them a little more gradually as it approaches 225. I find it's much easier to allow the temp to climb than it is to bring it down. I do pork shoulders fairly often and they are pretty forgiving if the temp gets a little higher than I want. Haven't done a brisket on it yet, but will be doing that this summer.

I'm in Colorado now (just never got around to trying to get my username changed here), but no fear. Cigar City is available here too!

User avatar
Sabo
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4457
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:33 am
Location: On the trail

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by Sabo » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:53 am

Brontoburglar wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:36 am
I got an electric smoker for Christmas and I have become a big fan of it. much easier to cook in winter.
A couple of questions.

1. Which model did you get?
2. Can you use an electric smoker indoors, or does it still need to be in a well-ventilated location?
The Sybian wrote:Goddamnit, Sabo!

cerrano
Jesus Quintana
Posts: 937
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:16 pm

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by cerrano » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:31 pm

Sabo wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:53 am
Brontoburglar wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:36 am
I got an electric smoker for Christmas and I have become a big fan of it. much easier to cook in winter.
A couple of questions.

1. Which model did you get?
2. Can you use an electric smoker indoors, or does it still need to be in a well-ventilated location?
gotta use it outdoors. the electric will replace charcoal or gas, but you're still producing smoke to flavor and preserve the meat.

i ended up going with the pit barrel cooker.
Image

it's more of a set-it-and-forget-it kind of smoker but what appealed to me was that you can hang meat in there so it produces killer ribs. (the smoked prime rib at xmas was a hit.) i also liked that it came with a grate that allows you to do everything else like steaks, brats, etc... the downside is that the cooking temp is closer to 280-290 and most recipes call for a smoke in the 225 range. i have done a couple of briskets, but they never get that juicy on the pit barrel.

i've had it for two years now and have enjoyed it, but i think i will have to take a look at the akorn or kamodo joe soon. i want something where i can control the temp. and play around with the dampers.
"i'm just a middle-aged black woman trying to get into the senate."

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 10321
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by The Sybian » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:37 pm

cerrano wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:31 pm
it's more of a set-it-and-forget-it kind of smoker but what appealed to me was that you can hang meat in there so it produces killer ribs. (the smoked prime rib at xmas was a hit.) i also liked that it came with a grate that allows you to do everything else like steaks, brats, etc... the downside is that the cooking temp is closer to 280-290 and most recipes call for a smoke in the 225 range. i have done a couple of briskets, but they never get that juicy on the pit barrel.

i've had it for two years now and have enjoyed it, but i think i will have to take a look at the akorn or kamodo joe soon. i want something where i can control the temp. and play around with the dampers.
Glad you posted this, because I was looking at the same one. It looks cool having the meat hanging in an industrial barrel, but I want lower heat capabilities. Also, do the fat and juices fall off the meat when it's hanging?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

cerrano
Jesus Quintana
Posts: 937
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:16 pm

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by cerrano » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:01 pm

The Sybian wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:37 pm
cerrano wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:31 pm
it's more of a set-it-and-forget-it kind of smoker but what appealed to me was that you can hang meat in there so it produces killer ribs. (the smoked prime rib at xmas was a hit.) i also liked that it came with a grate that allows you to do everything else like steaks, brats, etc... the downside is that the cooking temp is closer to 280-290 and most recipes call for a smoke in the 225 range. i have done a couple of briskets, but they never get that juicy on the pit barrel.

i've had it for two years now and have enjoyed it, but i think i will have to take a look at the akorn or kamodo joe soon. i want something where i can control the temp. and play around with the dampers.
Glad you posted this, because I was looking at the same one. It looks cool having the meat hanging in an industrial barrel, but I want lower heat capabilities. Also, do the fat and juices fall off the meat when it's hanging?
they do, but those juices "inspire" the fire, if you will. hanging the meat vertically allows the smoke to envelop it and that smoke can be aided by those juices. it self-regulates so that you don't get sustained flare-ups that burn shit to a crisp.

here's the review on amazing ribs. they do seem to like it. i never hung the brisket, but they mention it in the review.
"i'm just a middle-aged black woman trying to get into the senate."

User avatar
Square Rob
Brandt
Posts: 316
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:43 pm

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by Square Rob » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:11 pm

I've got a Primo smoker (BGE closest competitor), and absolutely love it. When weather is good we use it ~3 nights a week. It's flexible, so I use it for quick cooks like steak, or long smokes like pork shoulder. We haven't done a brisket yet, but only because my steaks kick ass so when we want beef that's what we do. I reversed seared some filet's on Sunday and they were fantastic. Always amazes me what you can do with salt pepper garlic and a little smoke.

User avatar
Sabo
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4457
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:33 am
Location: On the trail

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by Sabo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:53 am

cerrano wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:31 pm
gotta use it outdoors. the electric will replace charcoal or gas, but you're still producing smoke to flavor and preserve the meat.
Yeah, that was a dumb question. Thanks for answering it gently instead of ridiculing me.
The Sybian wrote:Goddamnit, Sabo!

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 15729
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by mister d » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:52 am

Set it up last night just in time for a big storm that necessitated moving it right to the basement. I'm fired up.
Rush2112 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:46 pm
Dude got a handjob like thousands of old dudes do every day. Big whoop.

User avatar
Brontoburglar
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4120
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:20 am

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by Brontoburglar » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:57 am

Sabo wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:53 am
cerrano wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:31 pm
gotta use it outdoors. the electric will replace charcoal or gas, but you're still producing smoke to flavor and preserve the meat.
Yeah, that was a dumb question. Thanks for answering it gently instead of ridiculing me.
Masterbuilt -- Lowe's black Friday if I remember the origin story correctly

I'll probably use my weber far more when it gets warmer, but I've loved it simply because I'm terrible at temperature regulation when it's cold. and this takes that variable out of the question.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 15729
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by mister d » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:26 pm

Between kid stuff and family visits and rain every goddamn weekend, this past summer was not great for smoking but I’m on my third weekend in the last month or so and it’s awesome. So far done whole chickens, wings, brisket and now wings again. Just sitting by a fire is really nice. Also makes me want a regular charcoal grill.
Rush2112 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:46 pm
Dude got a handjob like thousands of old dudes do every day. Big whoop.

User avatar
Brontoburglar
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4120
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:20 am

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by Brontoburglar » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:01 pm

mister d wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:26 pm
Between kid stuff and family visits and rain every goddamn weekend, this past summer was not great for smoking but I’m on my third weekend in the last month or so and it’s awesome. So far done whole chickens, wings, brisket and now wings again. Just sitting by a fire is really nice. Also makes me want a regular charcoal grill.
you can probably score a weber at a big box store for ~$100 this weekend
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer

User avatar
Sabo
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4457
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:33 am
Location: On the trail

Re: GRILLZ!

Post by Sabo » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:21 pm

I have a Weber charcoal grill, chimney starter, charcoal and a cover for sale if you come to my house and pick it up.
The Sybian wrote:Goddamnit, Sabo!

Post Reply