Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Re: Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Post by cerrano »

rass wrote:
Jerloma wrote:She has kind of a weird bum, no?
brilliant. how did you know to look for "f u"?
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Sabo wrote:
Jerloma wrote:The other day, I posted something about Bill Nye being on DWTS with some science analogies about how I hate it. Anyway, some girl says, "I'm repulsed like electrons repel protons."
Speaking of Mr. Nye, he was hurt during tapings of "Dancing with the Stars".
Oh, but if you think an 80% torn quad is holding back the Science Guy, you got another thing coming...

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

If girls who love dancing give up on dancing in California because we can't compete with the prostitutes then the hoes will win and there will be no more good dancers in the clubs there will only be hustlers pressuring people to go to the VIP there will be no stage entertainment I feel like its battle worthy to keep a place for all women who want to have freedom of expression and who love to dance to have a place to do so and Untill I can get my own club I feel somebody needs to keep these hoes in check they can't turn my favorite way to enjoy women into fuckin brothels I will be forever depressed if they win. Women should care even if they don't want to be a stripper or go to strip clubs because if dancers die out all that will be left for your husbands and boyfriends to see at clubs is high pressure sales prostitutes I say no mo ho in the strip club
No mo ho!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I don't think I fully understand their premise.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

P.D.X. wrote: No mo ho!
Man, I don't have any strippers as Facebook friends.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Jerloma wrote:I don't think I fully understand their premise.
It was something about freedom from punctuation.
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote:
Jerloma wrote:I don't think I fully understand their premise.
It was something about freedom from punctuation.
The battle cry of the Tea Party. Along with freedom from grammar and proper spelling.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Wake up, Tropicana. You suck and your team sucks. Game is over! Goodnight! GO SOX!!!
Win or lose...the proper response is always contempt for the other team's fan base.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

So this morning my daughter called me over to see something she'd seen on Good Morning America - celebrity tweets about Lou Reed.

(She does like to get me riled up you see)

My head nearly exploded when they showed Miley Cyrus' tweet about Lou Reed. It was just too much for an old guy like myself to take. A bit later on Facebook I wrote "Did I really need to hear what Miley Cyrus tweeted upon learning of Lou Reed's death?"

Well, many of my cooler friends agreed with me, but the first comment came from a woman I knew in High School (and who I haven't seen in 25 years) - she wrote "I'm curious, what did she say?" And no, she wasn't being sarcastic or clever, she was merely curious.

Ten minutes ago, I checked back in with Facebook and saw that this same woman posted this inspiring picture: Image

Good lord.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

So, what'd she say?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

OK, a Bad Attitude and Gunshot Wounds. Those two are the only disabilities.
Totally Kafkaesque
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

Apparently she hasn't left her house over the past 25 yrs.
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Pruitt wrote:So this morning my daughter called me over to see something she'd seen on Good Morning America - celebrity tweets about Lou Reed.

(She does like to get me riled up you see)

My head nearly exploded when they showed Miley Cyrus' tweet about Lou Reed. It was just too much for an old guy like myself to take. A bit later on Facebook I wrote "Did I really need to hear what Miley Cyrus tweeted upon learning of Lou Reed's death?"
Yeah. We might as well just have one giant "What the fuck is wrong with America's pussified death of journalism trainwreck collapse?" because we really could put this in any of the threads applicable.

There was an entire column today composed of that worthless shit. In the National Post, I believe. I skimmed and immediately clicked away once I realized what it was. What it wasn't? The Dave Bidini eulogy I was hoping for. What is was? An entire column dedicated to what "celebrities" tweeted about Lou Reed's passing. Seriously. Does it get any lazier than that? For starters, if anyone is pathetic enough to give a fuck what Miley Vaniley thinks about Lou Reed, they can easily follow that thing on its Twitter account. But, and this is the problem, some asshole gets paid as a journalist to copy and paste shit he (more likely she) finds on social media sites. "Oh! Here's what Rob Delany thinks about Lou Reed!" Whoever the fuck Rob Delany is. Or Bob or Ron. Or Delanney or Delaney or whatfuckingever. Two seconds of research reveals that he is a staggering unfunny excuse for a comedian. Or wannabe comedian. Whatever, who cares.

This is newsworthy? What some failing excuse of an actor has to say about a legend such as Lou Reed? The person who would be most appalled by bullshit like that is, unquestionably, Lou Reed.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Facebook adverts are scary good. Right now the top ad on my screen is the book I took out of the library yesterday! Coincidence, or do they put the NSA to shame?
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Last night about this time 2 of my friend, a married couple, made Facebook posts declaring their intentions of divorcing.

She wrote:
Family and friends: Yes, it is true that [Husband] & I are ending our marriage. I appreciate all of the e-mails and messages of concern that I have already received. Please keep both of us in your thoughts as this will be a very difficult transition for the both of us as well as our baby girl and our families, who are families to one another.
He wrote:
To my Family and friends, not that I wanted to put personal business on FB but to keep the questions at bay and to clear up questions I think it is best that I do. [Wife] and I are divorcing and will be signing the papers shortly. I apologize that WE have let you guys down and ask that you keep us both in your thoughts as we go through this tough transition. I love you all and again I am sorry........
The baby girl of theirs is his from a previous marriage. Also, these posts garnered 100 comments each. And the majority of them are some form of "Thoughts and prayers are headed your way." or are the "I can't believe this OMG!" variety.

It just looks fucking weird to me see this. Not them divorcing or anything. They never outwardly showed any issues when I was around them and their business is their business.

But...it's the reaction of friends and family that makes me go "WTF? Really?" First you're going to pray to G-d for what exactly? A smooth transition? It's a divorce and a military one at that. We're at like 80%. Those things are as common as deployments. And second does this type of stuff need to be put out there like that? I mean...how many people are so thoroughly involved in their lives? I guess that's just me though. I don't put my personal business like that out there (at least I don't think I do) and while it does come off like a press release and clears the air...really? It's just weird as shit to me. Maybe I'm the only dude who feels like this, but that's my opinion.

(And to those wondering...yes. She's pretty hot.)
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

The Sybian wrote:Facebook adverts are scary good. Right now the top ad on my screen is the book I took out of the library yesterday! Coincidence, or do they put the NSA to shame?
Did you mention it? Or, rather, even start to mention it? Via Slashdot
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote:But...it's the reaction of friends and family that makes me go "WTF? Really?" First you're going to pray to G-d for what exactly? A smooth transition? It's a divorce and a military one at that. We're at like 80%. Those things are as common as deployments. And second does this type of stuff need to be put out there like that? I mean...how many people are so thoroughly involved in their lives? I guess that's just me though. I don't put my personal business like that out there (at least I don't think I do) and while it does come off like a press release and clears the air...really? It's just weird as shit to me. Maybe I'm the only dude who feels like this, but that's my opinion.

(And to those wondering...yes. She's pretty hot.)
I don't know. If you are the type who is going to pray to a god for anything, why wouldn't you pray for comfort and help in going through a rough time like a divorce?

And I would imagine that putting a post on facebook, as weird as it is, would end up avoiding a lot of awkwardness when someone asks "how's your husband?" and the response has to be "which one?".
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Johnnie, 90% of those people will never attempt to summon their deity at all over this. It's simply a bunch of sheep nodding at each other so they can all pretend like they're doing something morally virtuous. A lot of people don't even take the time to type out "I'll pray for you" anymore. They just have to type the word "prayers."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I agree with both of you here. Yes, it does cut out the awkwardness (press release style), but no matter what, if these friends of mine have that many friends in their lives it will be talked about anyway via phone calls/Voxer/emails...etc.

So that's where I fall into Jerloma's line of thinking. It's a reflex habit to wish someone well just because. I haven't commented on either status thread because it doesn't affect me. That's their lives and I'm like "Well that sucks, but what are you gunna do?" It's just so disconcerting to see so many people in a feigned state of grief (outside of the ones with the bad grammar and the 'Oh, the humanity!' drama) over something so common.
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

mini puke to 1,558
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I had to look up the context. Pretty funny commercial.

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Seeing that commercial, and the Samuel L. Jackson one, I wonder how much they paid for the talent. Or are good to great actors no longer in vogue?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Edward Norton and Robert Downey Jr. sell cellphones now. It's just how it is.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

See also (if not first):

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote:Edward Norton and Robert Downey Jr. sell cellphones now. It's just how it is.

Everyone is just trying to keep up with T-Mobile's Bill Hader score.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

That is fantastic. Who are those actors? Reminds me of these...

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote:Edward Norton and Robert Downey Jr. sell cellphones now. It's just how it is.
And they all sell shit overseas.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

This is kind of funny. Although the buzz around Vancouver is that the author wrote/scripted the entire series of exchanges himself. And it does read like that. No matter. Still good.

Author 1, phisher 0: Vancouver novelist Steven Galloway claims ultimate troll on Facebook scammer

Inside of that story is a scrollable embedded series of images that runs about 26 short pages, screencaps, containing the entire series.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Scottie wrote:This is kind of funny. Although the buzz around Vancouver is that the author wrote/scripted the entire series of exchanges himself. And it does read like that. No matter. Still good.

Author 1, phisher 0: Vancouver novelist Steven Galloway claims ultimate troll on Facebook scammer

Inside of that story is a scrollable embedded series of images that runs about 26 short pages, screencaps, containing the entire series.
That is really awesome. It's worth clicking on the link to see the entire facebook conversation.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote:
Scottie wrote:This is kind of funny. Although the buzz around Vancouver is that the author wrote/scripted the entire series of exchanges himself. And it does read like that. No matter. Still good.

That is really awesome. It's worth clicking on the link to see the entire facebook conversation.
That is the funniest thing I have read in ages.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Consider me in the minority then. I didn't think it was that funny at all, and it looked very clearly staged.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Brontoburglar wrote:Consider me in the minority then. I didn't think it was that funny at all, and it looked very clearly staged.
I chuckled. Wasn't that funny. #Brontostrong
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Why do phishers and Nigerian princes use intentional bad grammar? I assume it is intentional, because of the ubiquity. Some psychological effect they are going for?

(and you should assume my use of bad grammar is unintentional. 'cept when I'm quoting Ricky.)
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

howard wrote:Why do phishers and Nigerian princes use intentional bad grammar? I assume it is intentional, because of the ubiquity. Some psychological effect they are going for?

(and you should assume my use of bad grammar is unintentional. 'cept when I'm quoting Ricky.)

I'd guess that your command of Igbo grammar isn't the best either.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I spend a fair bit of time on a few stock message boards, and the grammar there often mirrors the scammer grammar. I don't think it's faked. Maybe I'm just gullible.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Brontoburglar wrote:Consider me in the minority then. I didn't think it was that funny at all, and it looked very clearly staged.
And that's why I mentioned that it looked like he wrote it himself. I offered that opinion to a couple of other Vancouverites and they both replied along the lines of "well, now that you mention it...".
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Scottie wrote:
And that's why I mentioned that it looked like he wrote it himself. I offered that opinion to a couple of other Vancouverites and they both replied along the lines of "well, now that you mention it...".
Oh, totally. I probably shouldn't have gone into it with that thought in my head, but I'm pretty sure I would have left going "this is like those Facebook conversations between the quarterbacks."

And about those, I really miss them.

Wait, apparently I've just been not reading them.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote:
Scottie wrote:
Oh, totally. I probably shouldn't have gone into it with that thought in my head, but I'm pretty sure I would have left going "this is like those Facebook conversations between the quarterbacks."

And about those, I really miss them.

Wait, apparently I've just been not reading them.

The first time I have ever liked Phillip Rivers. His Eli jokes were fantastic.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Hilarious. Those are fake?