Austin Murphy (formerly of SI - yes that Austin Murphy) article on driving for Amazon

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

tennbengal
The Dude

Austin Murphy (formerly of SI - yes that Austin Murphy) article on driving for Amazon

Post by tennbengal »

This is a helluva read - my apologies if it was mentioned in another thread (that is - an article that chronicles gig now driving for Amazon):

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... on/578986/
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: Austin Murphy (formerly of SI - yes that Austin Murphy) article on driving for Amazon

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I saw that a few days ago. That was a solid read.
tennbengal
The Dude

Re: Austin Murphy (formerly of SI - yes that Austin Murphy) article on driving for Amazon

Post by tennbengal »

It makes me sad that writing talent like Murphy can’t find a home and pay worthy of his talent and experience. The destruction of the media as a career has not been good for what is left of the republic.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

One of my favorite MLS writers is Pablo Maurer. He covers DC United, writes for the The Athletic, and writes for the City Paper. He is also an exotic car auto mechanic (fun twitter follow). Earlier this week there was some study that said most Millennial workers in media "prefer" free lance. His obvious rant was because there are no salary options anymore for these jobs.

The first person I really saw hit by this was Jeff Bradley. He is Bob Bradley's (the soccer coach) and Scott Bradley's (Mariners) brother. He was a senior writer for ESPN the Mag, Reporter for SI, New York Daily news, and Star-Ledger. I followed his twitter feed and just watched him keep getting pink slips. I was not sure if he just was not a great writer or the industry. He is now the communications guy for TFC (hmm wonder if his nephew got him that job...he also had a similar job with MetroStars). The part that was rough was in his blog he talked about the struggle of getting a job, getting freelance gigs, and financial pressures (including trying to sell used cars). Hard business

Take a look through his now quiet blog.
http://jeffbradleyblog.blogspot.com/
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

the W part was unnecessary
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Jeff Bradley was right up there with Grant Wahl for a time. I think he kind of resisted the social media-->TV pundit route, or he wasn't good at it or something. Good writer and reporter for a long stretch.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.